planefreakaa

Airbus And Cellphones

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:28 am

Does anyone have anymore about this thing I heard about airbus allowing cellphones use on their aircraft, please say its not true, that just what I need a seat beside some yapping businessman

ZRH

RE: Airbus And Cellphones

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:45 am

Don't worry. If it was true, I think they only would work while take-off and landing and there no private electronic devices are allowed anyway. I don't think that, on 30000 feet a mobile phone would reach an antenna.

Trvlr

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:53 am

It'll probably be true sooner than you think, and not just on Airbuses. The FAA is currently conducting tests on the safety of cell phone usage inflight. While cellphones are still officially banned, the general consensus is that they're not really a safety risk more than an annoyance to cell signal relay systems.

Aaron G.

milan320

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting ZRH (reply 1):
I don't think that, on 30000 feet a mobile phone would reach an antenna.

Not true at all ... I worked on mobile systems whereby cruise ships can install normal mobile networks onboard (far away from the nearest land-based antenna) by utilizing satellite communications.
There is a delay on the signal of course, but it's not that noticeable.
The same thing can be done on planes.

Now roaming from one operator to another while moving, is another story, but whoever gets the contract will iron that problem out.

/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)