Orion737
Topic Author

Cabin Crew Dissapearing On Long Flights

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:26 pm

Just flown LGW-DTW and return and noticed that once the meal service was completed every last one of the cabin crew dissapeared for a whole couple of hours!

Where were they? what were they doing?

Surely cabin crew should patrole the cabin once every half hour or so at least. I was dying of thirst and on the look out for a flight attendant to ask for a drink but didnt see one re-appear in the cabin until it was time to serve the snack. Had they gone for a lay down or a walk outside?

ushermittwoch

RE: Cabin Crew Dissapearing On Long Flights

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Well apparently IB's service scheme has caught on at other airlines aswell...
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

air2gxs

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:55 pm

They were taking their break. Do think its easy to push those carts, which have to weigh a couple of hundred pounds, up and down the aisle, serving a couple of hundred people?

If you wanted a drink, you could have just gotten up and asked for one.

Spike

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:58 pm

Taking their 'break'? 8-hour break? I think taking thjeir 'rest' is more apt.

zonky

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:01 pm

Breaks should be in rotation though, not all at once?

"If you wanted a drink, you could have just gotten up and asked for one."

Er... well i suppose, but if i'm travelling Long Haul, and awake, i tend to be nursing a glass/bottle of water most of the time. Have expectations dropped so low that a regular water service on a long flight is too much to ask?

citationjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:04 pm

I flew AA from DFW-OGG-DFW a couple of years ago and the same thing happened. During the 8 hour flight the FAs served one meal and very little beverage service. The seat belt sign was on the ENTIRE flight, even though there was no turbulence. When I got up to use the restroom, the FAs were playing cards in the galley.
I have flown from DFW to Hawaii since the 1960s. The flight attendants definitely provided more service in decades past.

Later that year I flew Austrian Airlines from Washington to Vienna, and the level of service was much better. The FAs went thru the aisle many times during the flight. I had the good experience on LH from ORD to MUC last fall.

[Edited 2005-02-17 15:05:47]
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Orion737
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:08 pm

Honestly I couldnt believe it that they all dissapeared for a good couple of hours. Not a single sighting of the lesser-spotted cabin crew for 2 hours.

Surely breaks ought to be rotated and they have a good job if they get a two hour break when the rest of us are lucky to get half an hour in our jobs!

Where abouts on the aircraft were they all hiding?

virgincrew

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Hey guys,

We don't disappear for eight hours. We have to have rest like the pax's do. Like someone said, the job is knackering. Especially if the flight is iver eleven hours, we have to have rest forlegal reasons.

I can't comment about other airlines, but at VS on a night flight say we would split the crew and have say an hour crew's rest on an eight hour flight. But the remaining crew would have to patrol the cabin and toilets. We also do many OJ & water services.
Hello Beautiful !!!

Scanorama

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:22 pm

I flew QF SYD-HKG-SYD Economy in 1999, and the exact same thing happened. After the meal trays are collected, all of the cabin crews disappeared for the next 5 hours or so until the next meals are served prior to landing. During the 5 hours, many passengers pressed the cabin crews button, the sound just went on and off, yet not one cabin crew came. I reckon they were all in the crew rest area while they took their *rest*. I'm not saying they shouldn't take their rest during the flight, but other airlines like CX and SQ have around 3 or 4 cabin crews in the cabin during long haul flight, while other rotate their break.

Orion737
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:41 pm

Also why a 5 hour or even a 2 hour break??? Pushing a trolley isnt exactly the same as sweating down a coal mine. Cabin crew should have the same length of breaks as the rest of us!

emrecan

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:45 pm

why didn't you push the button to call the cabin crew?  Smile

BCAL

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:56 pm

Like VirginCrew said, cabin crew need to rest just like passengers. On long haul their jobs must be tiring and demanding.

They have to travel to the airport, go through flight briefing, check that the plane is ready, then both ensure safety and serve the passengers during the flight, push carts up and down the aisle, tidy up galleys etc, then face an overnight or longer stay away from home after being on duty for 10 hours or longer, so they must have breaks.

Once meal service is finished, apart from landing, takeoff and any emergency, not all cabin crew members are needed, so this is when they take their breaks in rotation. Other cabin crew members will be on galley duties, perhaps even preparing for the next meal service, and the flight director might use the quiet period to do the books. However, there should be regular patrols of the cabin. Just like any other job, some cabin crew might be slacker than others might.

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

CrossChecked

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:59 pm

Sadly, the amount of time spent in cabins by crew varies greatly from person to person. The American/Northwest crew who operate on long-haul international sectors are as senior as God and have probably been flying for 30+ years. I feel many of them have the attitude that if people want something, they'll come and get it.

With British Airways, a toilet check must be made on each lav every twenty minutes. This involves walking through the cabin from the rear galley to check the loos. On the way up or down the aircraft, passengers are more than welcome to stop the crew and request a drink/snack.

I personally perform toilet checks every 20 minutes and seldom get back to the galley without a drinks order from someone. I also make attempts to walk through the cabin at random intervals outside of the toilet check schedule.

Even if said checks aren't performed exactly on the 20 minutes, there is no excuse for no cabin presence for any longer than maybe half-an-hour at a time.

One problem though is that if people see the crew, they will often ask for an alcoholic beverage. This is sometimes at three in the morning. I think people just drink for the sake of drinking on long-haul flights and I am reluctant to help anyone get drunk onboard when they likely have to drive when they land at the other end.
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

citationjet

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:00 am

I guess the basic question is: Why does the level of service have to be so much lower than it was 10 or 20 years ago? I know airlines are trying to cut costs, but the cabin crew is being paid anyway. The cost of OJ and water is minimal. It seems that airlines could very easily make a more positive impression on passengers and maybe generate more customer loyalty if they would just put out a little more effort. In particular I am talking about longer haul routes that have meal/beverage service. If the airline business is that competitive and every airline is wanting to survive, this seems like such as simple change that could have a great benefit to the airline.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Orion737
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:07 am

The Northwest crew on my flight were not the youngest of the bunch but were very friendly and welcoming. It made a nice change to see more mature ladies doing the job and doing it well.

The flight attendants on my flight must have been in their 50s but were very attractive and smiling ladies, my only complaint is they soon retreated to the galley never to be seen for hours afterwards!

burberry753

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:17 am

My expreience on long haul flights with Air Transat is fantastic! On both flights to and from Toronto from Manchester they were very helpful and never went to hide at the back, even on the night flight coming back they kept coming round with bottles of mineral water, there was even a 4.5 hour delay at MAN because they had to swap our L1011 with another one. In my opinion the service was better than that i expreienced on KLM AMS-AUA in Buisness!!

Spike

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:18 am

Vietnam Airlines only employ their nation's prettiest babes, that constantly work the isles, suggest that another glass of wine would be a good idea before your coffee and know your name before you've even had a chance to sit down. That is service with a smile.  Smile

highguy76

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:29 am

I work mostly EWR to Europe (usually UK) flights for CO, and have heard complaints of just the opposite. "When are you people going to turn off the lights and get out of the aisle and let us sleep?" is a question I hear frequently.
Most of the flights I work are 5-7 hours, and after 2 bar cart srvcs, a meal cart, trash pick up, and another bar cart, we leave the lights on and go through with the Duty Free sales cart. Afterwards we come through with one or two water srvcs, and cabin walk throughs every 15 min.

I am curious, what do you frequent main cabin pax (especially on our 757 transatlantic flights) think of this? Would you rather we keep the lights on and the service going, or shut the hell up and let you get some rest?
Its a little different on our longer haul flights, I know.

zonky

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:38 am

"If the crew was ALL gone for hours, you had a bad crew, and it is against Company policy at every Airline I know. Breaks are supposed to be on rotation."

Never the less, it seems a not uncommon occurence. No one is suggesting it is policy, so much as lack of oversight of employee behaviour?

mtnmanmakalu

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting Zonky (reply 21):
Never the less, it seems a not uncommon occurrence. No one is suggesting it is policy, so much as lack of oversight of employee behaviour?

Unfortunately, just like at every other business on earth, there are "bad apples" at every Airline too that make it look bad for everybody....

mtnman  Smile
I do, I don't, whatever.......

zonky

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:52 am

"Unfortunately, just like at every other business on earth, there are "bad apples" at every Airline too that make it look bad for everybody...."

Of course. As i say, it's a question of oversight, especially given how it reflects on quality of experience.

Spike

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:10 am

What when the whole cart is rotten (SQ/UA/CO/AF)?

NWAFA

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:15 am

Orion737,

Could you have fallen asleep? I just do not believe you that you did not see a Flight Attendant "for hours". The majority of us are out EVERY HOUR doing water walks..Juice....Yes there are crews that are more lazy than others..so maybe every hour and a half or so, but sorry I just do NOT believe you at all.

THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

mtnmanmakalu

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:16 am

Spike-
If the flying experience is so horrible for you and it is making you so bitter at the Airlines and their Crews, do us all a "favour" and take the boat or a bus next time....

And BTW, the "I do, I don't, whatever" is because I am the most easy-going F/A you will ever meet on a flight- I guarantee I won't "disappear" for hours- you might even enjoy a conversation with me in-flight!!!
 Big grin
I do, I don't, whatever.......

Spike

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:24 am

I do travel by boat, train and bus regularly and have had better experiences with staff than on a/c. You should do it.

kevi747

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:11 am

At AA we are required to make a pass through the cabin every 15 minutes. We take our breaks in shifts.

PS: Please read any post by "Spike" to know why I refuse to work LHR flights anymore. That constantly negative attitude is so draining!! Don't you ever get tired of looking for things to complain about? I know it rains non-stop on that god-awful island you people call home, but why do you insist on spreading the misery to the rest of us?

There've got to be some fun, easy-going, down-to-earth Brits out there somewhere. Where are you?
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

NceBoy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:42 am

Quoting VirginCrew (reply 8):
Hey guys,

We don't disappear for eight hours. We have to have rest like the pax's do.

It's a joke, isn't it ? It's a job, do your job ! Some FA just get it, other don't. The problem is that it does reflect on the company image. For example, my last (Never, never again) NW flight (SEA-AMS) could be resumed as "Was there even a FA on board ?"... Oh, I know, they were busy caring after my safety back in the rear galley.
coz I'm leaving on a jetplane !

CM767

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:27 am

First of all I would like to thank all the cabin crews for the hard work and for keeping us safe. It is better not to generalize, sometimes you could be out of luck and receive bad service, but other times you will find people that will go out of the way to make you comfortable.

Quoting Highguy76 (reply 19):
Would you rather we keep the lights on and the service going, or shut the hell up and let you get some rest?

Highguy76,
I not a frequent traveler, I only travel a couple of times a year and long haul every two years or so, for me it needs to be a balance. On night flights I prefer that the service is done quickly and the lights are dim so we can rest, for day flights is totally different, I would welcome the walk troughs every 20 minutes or so, too frequently is a little annoying, for me personally is like the passengers are been policed.

By the way I hate been told to keep the window shades down when I trying to readjust my internal clock, for me sunlight is the better cure for jetlag. Why is this necessary to keep the cabin so dark during the day, especially when is daytime at your destination?

But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

nwajetset

Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 am

The cabin is usually kept dark so passengers can see the movie, and rest. You would be surprised how much light one open shade can put out. I'm with NWAFA on the OP's post. I absolutely refuse to believe that there were no FA's for hours. An entire crew would never be that blatant in disregarding the rules.

LordHowe

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:10 am

I flew QF SYD-HKG-SYD Economy in 1999, and the exact same thing happened. After the meal trays are collected, all of the cabin crews disappeared for the next 5 hours or so...

Yes! QF crews are very good indeed in this - they do "disappear" after meal service. This wasn't the case fot ten years ago.

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

Orion737
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:12 am

NWAFA, I have no reason to make it up. The flights were very pleasant and as I said before the flight attendants were lovely; kind and smiling but just as I was begining to think what a good service they they provide and how they really care about people, they go do a complete vanishing act!

I even walked to the lavatory a few times and heard sight nor sound of them, I was just curious as to where they were all hiding for such a length of time. I know they have to have reasonable breaks but nearly 2 hours was ridiculous.

May I say, NWAFA how refreshing it was to see more mature FA's, imaculatley groomed and professional, rather than all the young FA's that tend to dominate on British airlines. Nice to see American airlines arent as ageist!

jetjack74

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:17 am

As an NW cabin crewmember, I will concede that a large majority of our FA's do not do the "every 30 minute water walks" as prescribed in our service standards guide. On any given int'l i've worked, i've rarely seen this done. We may do one water walk per break period, or on the front or backside of the mid-movie snacks. That doesn't say that we dissapear for an entire flight between meal services. And I think we do a good job with answering call lights. But it really comes down to the crew you have. Orion, I think that you may have dozed off when the water walks were conducted and just missed it.
Made from jets!

jtamu97

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:34 am

Well I think we are all adults and can help ourselves if we want to. The good old days of being pampered on flights are over. Flying is no longer a luxury as it was before the dawning of the jet age and that should be evident by the lack of meals, etc. I have been on many long 3hour plus domestic flights and many long haul flights. I do not expect anything more than being served that one snack/meal, a drink, it then picked up and that is it. If I need anything else (mainly on long hauls), I simply get up, go to the galley and ask for it. I have never had a problem doing this and the attendants are usually very appreciative of this and sometimes a good convesation is started. I have never been on a flight where the entire crew disappears, they are simply in the galleys with the curtain shut.

Later,
J
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

ANNOYEDFA

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:42 am

NWAFA: I don't believe him either... Who woulden't get bored sitting in the galley for hours. People have a tendency to over exaggerate everything... Especially underpaid for service. If you were so thirsty you should of woke your legs up walked to the back of the plane and asked for a glass of water. I think he just dozed off......
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

Trolley Dolley

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:43 am

I've just made 10 intercontinental flights in the past 2 months, each sector over 10 hours. Interetsing to see what's happening out there. Unfortunately some crews are better than others for doing the disappearing act. CX, LA, SQ and BA are very good at having someone in the cabin. Even if its a water run.

Apparently QF crews are about to get a bomb put under them from management for the disappearing act in economy class and new systems are being introduced to keep one or two of them visible throughout the whole flight. (One of my flights had a big guy from Sydney HQ taking to the crew. Interesting to hear what he had to say.)

I find it totally reasonable to have a comment like that crew vanished for 5 hours. I've seen it myself many a time, sadly.

Orion737
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:53 am

Some seem to think that Flight attendants are latter day saints who can never be criticised or do any wrong.

They get paid for what they do and there should be no excuse for bunking off, out of sight for nigh on 2 hours!

notsofrqntflr

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting Ushermittwoch (reply 1):

I have to agree with you on that. I have flown IB about two years ago ORD to MAD (and return). Service was very poor and stuff rude, not to mention lecturing passengers on how they should treat them, when some of passengers decided to complain.
Filip A

ltbewr

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:37 am

I would suggest that the time of the flights (overnight vs. daytime), the pax load, safety issues (turbulance), cross-section of pax (if many children, a number of special needs pax) all can affect the frequency of service of the f/a's. Often the f/a's take there breaks during the movies/IFE, so not distubing the pax whom are watching it. On overnight or long flights, I have had no problems with and asking nicely for some water, juice, soda from the f/a's in the back. Don't forget also that the f/a's must do some 'accounting' work (sales of duty free, where pax have to pay for drinks, inventory food, beverages, alcoholic beverages), set up food service, make coffee, that may take some time. Yes, a pass through coach about every 30 minutes on a flight is a good idea for safety and service.

ANNOYEDFA

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:17 am

I love hearing about IB crew members. They provide the service they get paid to do and don't take abuse from anyone!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

BA767s

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:26 am

Why didn't you just press the service button?

John  Smile

[Edited 2005-02-17 23:51:14]
Come on, let's fly!

FLYACYYZ

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:55 am

This is one of those posts where you can't generalize. Some crews do, and some crews don't. Patrolling the cabin on a long haul sector is frankly a great way to stay awake especially during the wee hours of the night. It is also a trasport requirement, that the cabin is monitored every 15/20 minutes which is emphasized during a safety briefing--and we usally have juice/water in hand.

To reiterate some of the other replies as well, should we get sidetracked or remiss, try pushing the call button! Frankly I find it hard to believe that a cabin on a long haul flight is left unmonitored for hours on end.
Above and Beyond

aa757first

RE: Cabin Crew Disappearing

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:02 am

Flight attendants, a question. Do you prefer the call light or us passengers walking back to a galley to get what we need?

AAndrew

ozglobal

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:05 am

I have done dozens of very long haul flights on QF, BQ, CX, SQ and AF. The western carriers FA's can, even in J class, disappear for long periods and you sometimes (to quote Tom Waits) "can't find your drinks waitress with a Geiger counter". On Asian airlines the DON'T. Full Stop. End of story.

This is one of the reasons CX and SQ always beat western carriers, who in the case of BA and QF are otherwise great, on cabin service!! (see for example, SkyTrax survery on service).

[Edited 2005-02-18 01:13:07]
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

KLMA330

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:11 am

Today, when you pay your fare on coach for a trans continental trip, you're basically travelling on a bus in the air. Flying is amazing, and it's wonderous, however, the glory days of flying are long gone. You don't expect someone to serve you when you're on a Greyhound, why expect it when you're on a coach seat on an airliner? Sad, but I think quite true :-(

CORULEZ05

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:15 am

Yea, press the service button or how about....you could of gotten your lazy a$$ up and gone back there to the galley; if you were REALLY that thirsty...I mean, I would of definetly bitched at them but atleast you would of gotten the drink you wanted.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

citationjet

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:19 am

The difference is that Greyhound has NEVER had such service, but the airlines have in the past.
I realize that the glory days are gone, but increasing the level of customer service during the flight is one way for airlines to distinguish their product from other airlines. With airlines struggling to stay in business, with very little cost (OJ and water) they could increase the level of personal service. The FAs are being paid anyway, so there is no increase cost there. Singapore Airlines is known for its great cabin service.
However with AA & NW removing pillows to save money, my guess is the airlines are not willing to increase service. Its funny that Airbus talks about duty free shops, waterfalls, casinos, etc for the 380; while airlines are removing magazines to save aircraft weight.

jaysit

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:57 am

What do you expect them to do at 2 am?

Give you a lap dance?

They serve you, its a late night flight, you sleep, end of story.

If you want a drink, disturb the folks next to you, clamber into the aisle and ask for your full can of coke.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

citationjet

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:11 am

Why does everyone assume these long flights are in the middle of the night? The flights from Europe to the US and from the US mainland to Hawaii operate during daylight hours.

FA4B6

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:17 am

Quoting Jaysit (reply 46):
What do you expect them to do at 2 am?

Give you a lap dance?

They serve you, its a late night flight, you sleep, end of story.

If you want a drink, disturb the folks next to you, clamber into the aisle and ask for your full can of coke.

Jaysit! Thank you! That was exactly what I was thinking. Even day flights ... what do you al want? us to stand for 6 hours in the middle of the plane just in case you need an extra bottle of water?

Ring your call button, get up and find a galley, wait for one of us to come through, or bring your own stuff.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

NWADC9

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:38 am

Wow, Flight Attendant Peek-a-Boo! Sounds fake. They do go on shifts, and usually either sit down, or go into the crew bunks and take a snooze. There's always a few around.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard