DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

It's Official: AirTran To Charlotte

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:14 am

Here's the press release. Yes, I know this news is on the "New City for AirTran" thread as the last few of 68 posts. But that is mostly a thread of speculation, here's a new thread to spread the news.

Jim

AirTran Airways Races Into the Queen City
Airline will be only low-fare carrier serving Charlotte starting May 4, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. (February 17, 2005) - AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced the airline will commence new daily nonstop service from Charlotte Douglas International Airport to its hub at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Baltimore/Washington International Airport with one-stop service to Boston's Logan International Airport beginning May 4, 2005. These routes will be served by the airline's popular all new Boeing 717 aircraft which feature 12 Business Class and 105 coach seats.

"Charlotte represents a great opportunity for AirTran Airways' future growth plan, and we are pleased to bring our high quality, low-fare service to travelers throughout the region," said Robert L. Fornaro, AirTran Airways' president and chief operating officer. "Charlotte has been plagued by the highest fares in the country for a number of years. That changes on May 4th."

"Charlotte is pleased to welcome AirTran Airways to our community. AirTran Airways is a quality low fare carrier and will be a great option for Charlotte travelers," said Charlotte Mayor Patrick McCrory.

AirTran Airways will offer the following new daily nonstop flight options to/from Charlotte starting May 4, 2005:

Nonstop Service from Charlotte:
To Departs Arrives Frequency

Atlanta 6:10 a.m. 7:20 a.m. Daily (Starts May 5)
Baltimore/Washington 7:10 a.m. 8:30 a.m. Daily
Atlanta 11:20 a.m. 12:30 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 1:35 p.m. 2:45 p.m. Daily
Baltimore/Washington 5:15 p.m. 6:35 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 7:00 p.m. 8:10 p.m. Daily

Nonstop Service to Charlotte:
From Departs Arrives Frequency

Baltimore/Washington 9:10 a.m. 10:30 a.m. Daily
Atlanta 12:05 p.m. 1:05 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 3:40 p.m. 4:40 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 5:25 p.m. 6:25 p.m. Daily
Baltimore/Washington 6:40 p.m. 8:00 p.m. Daily
Atlanta 10:45 p.m. 11:45 p.m. Daily
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

RE: It's Official: AirTran To Charlotte

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:20 am

I think AirTran is going to do well at Charlotte. If AirTran is going to the trouble to fly between the two largest Southeastern network-carrier hubs, they probably are willing to spend the money to establish themselves. Joe Leonard is nobody's fool; he wouldn't attempt this move unless he has reason to believe that AirTran can establish themselves and make money pretty quickly.

Other cities ahead? I'd look for BOS, DFW, PHL, maybe MDW because ATA dropped that route. And or course the usual Florida suspects.

Jim

7e72004

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:21 am

Cool...i will be turning 30 on that day!! Mzybe i will take flight on AirTran  Big thumbs up
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

1MillionFlyer

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (reply 0):
AirTran Airways Races Into the Queen City
Airline will be only low-fare carrier serving Charlotte starting May 4, 2005

What About Indy Air???? Are they not an LCC any more?
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

OttoPylit

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:24 am

Joe Leonard is nobody's fool; he wouldn't attempt this move unless he has reason to believe that AirTran can establish themselves and make money pretty quickly.

Uh, try again. He is betting on the demise of US Airways real soon. If FL can have a foothold in CLT by the time US collapses, they stand a good chance at making money. If US is able to pull through, be sure to see FL reduce frequency slightly. Any of the air-chair CEO's on here could have seen that coming.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

PHLBOS

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:28 am

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (reply 1):
Joe Leonard is nobody's fool; he wouldn't attempt this move unless he has reason to believe that AirTran can establish themselves and make money pretty quickly.

I guess Joe Leonard figured that with WN being preoccupied with its MDW expansion and starting services at PIT, CLT seemed wide open for FL to come in.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

usflyer msp

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:34 am

I think that they will do fine to Atlanta, but will probably end up dropping the Baltimore flights.

USFlyer MSP

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:39 am

Uh, try again. He is betting on the demise of US Airways real soon. If FL can have a foothold in CLT by the time US collapses, they stand a good chance at making money. If US is able to pull through, be sure to see FL reduce frequency slightly. Any of the air-chair CEO's on here could have seen that coming.

Hmm...I don't know, Otto. Most of the arm-chair CEO's here (including me until 2003) have been predicting US's demise for a long time. But US Airways keeps flying along, blowing other peoples' money, eternally coddled by the Federal gov't. (FlyI, meanwhile, *won't* get that coddle treatment) Of course we can only speculate, but I doubt that Leonard wouldn't be aware of that.

AirTran entered Philly years ago and established themselves just fine there alongside US Airways. You're correct that entering CLT now would position AirTran well there if US actually did go under. I just don't think AirTran's entry is simply conditional upon an expectation of US' immediate demise.

Jim

KarlB737

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:52 am

juventus

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:00 am

Good news keep on rolling in for US Airways.

LH423

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:02 am

The vultures really are circling waiting for US Airways to die so they can start eating the rotting carcass.

I'm still pulling for US though.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

redngold

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:07 am

I see a chess game between WN and AirTran... AirTran has now covered all of US's hubs... Where will WN go next?
Up, up and away!

jerion

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:25 am

Interesting...  Big grin

I see a chess game between WN and AirTran... AirTran has now covered all of US's hubs... Where will WN go next?
L10/D9S/D10/M80/M88/732/733/734/735/73G/738/72S/757/762/763/320/319/318/ERJ

OzarkD9S

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:42 am

AirTran are in US's hubs, but to no great extent. My guess is they're licking thier chops over the possibilty of snapping up a good size chunk of DCA and LGA slots, where WN shows little interest. Even if the slots came on the market in, they are not the kind of airports WN goes into. Sure no one saw PHL coming, but I still don't see WN heading into LGA or DCA. BOS maybe but even that's a longshot.

I'm not saying anyone is in cahoots, but I think B6, FL and WN are positioning themselves for what they see as the inevitable. B6 and FL are in BOS and LGA, FL is in DCA, PIT and CLT, WN in PIT and PHL. All have a fair amount of new aircraft on order.

A 3-way split, some overlapping LCC competition in a few US strongholds, and who the hell knows what will happen at FLL should US bite the big one.

Personally, with US's reduced costs starting to take effect, I hope they pull through, even in a dramatically different form, pehaps as a Star Alliance mega-regional feeding the east coast.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

nwaca

Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:49 am

Does anyone know if AirTran will be doing the ground work or are they using vendor companies?

flyinryan99

Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:29 am

Nwaca....from the Charlotte Observer

"The airline now says it is looking forward to hiring about 30 workers in Charlotte and plans to expand service this fall."

My guess is they will be doing their own ground handling.

Ryan

Midway2AirTran

Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:46 am

FL and WN aren't Legacy carriers, unlike the majors I believe they are staying focused on their own original growth plans other than trying to cut each others' throat like some are saying here, even if they do compete in a few markets. That focus is what keeps them successful.

The CLT market appears to be an ideal match for the FL product, who wouldn't agree to that? That serves as better justification than just an attempt at jockeying for position for a possible US demise that may not happen or WN stampede at CLT.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

BUFjets

Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:00 am

A quick check shows bith US and DL compete on the ATL-CLT route. Advance fares are available for $143 RT. FL is offering it now for $136.90 as a sale fare with less frequency. I don't see them making a killing on it.

PlaneGuy27

Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:13 am

1mililion flyer,

I thought the same thing.

What about Independence Air? I thought they were doing well in Charlotte!

PlaneGuy27