milan320

Bombardier C-Series With A Sidestick?

Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:35 am

A week or two ago, I was watching the news here in Canada and a segment came on about the proposed 150 seater C-Series by Bombardier (the segment actually consisted of where it will be built as there are some problems with that - see link below for those interested).
Anyway, they showed a computer generated graphic of the plane and flight-deck and I was surprised to see a side-stick instead of the yoke. Is that the proposal, that the C-series might consist of a side-stick now?

As for the link I mentioned above (including some interesting specs, but no mention of a sidestick) here it is:

http://www.ainonline.com/issues/02_05/02_05_bombardiercseriesp57.html

/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

columba

RE: Bombardier C-Series With A Sidestick?

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:02 am

Actuallly they said right from the beginning that the C-Series is supposed to have a sidestick. Maybe they were aiming for LH as a launch customer.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

CRJ200Mechanic

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:01 pm

I work for Bombardier. That article was a big deal around here. The orders for the CRJ200 are slowing down and if I remember right Canada's currency changed to were it equals more than ours. not sure though. Money is becoming tight. Anyway, the C-series was always going to have a sidekick. We are trying to compete with the ERJ 170/175 190/195
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

northstardc4m

Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:42 pm

[quote=CRJ200Mechanic,reply=2] The orders for the CRJ200 are slowing down and if I remember right Canada's currency changed to were it equals more than ours. not sure though. Money is becoming tight.
[/quote]

Canada's dollar has jumped from around 65 cents US to over 80 cents in under 2 years. I seem to recall one of the things that Albuquerque was trying to woo BBD with was lower labor/production costs than available in Canada because of the higher dollar. But the greenback is still worth more than the loonie.

As far as the sidestick goes, i think it's a necessary step. The yoke setup just doesn't work anymore for airliners. It takes up more space, costs more to maintain and having a sidestick doesnt really affect how pilots fly a FBW aircraft anyways since there is never option to force the controls like has been necessary in mechanical/hydraulic controlled aircraft in some emergencies (AA96 over Windsor).

[Edited 2005-02-19 15:42:38]

[Edited 2005-02-19 15:42:59]
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Alias1024

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:55 am

I've read a couple of articles in the Albuquerque Tribune this last month. They identified the four finalists for the production facility as Albuquerque, Ontario, Quebec and Belfast (That's in Northern Ireland for everyone who is geographically challenged). Also said a decison should be made sometime next month.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

ZRH

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (reply 3):
As far as the sidestick goes, i think it's a necessary step

I think the yoke is a dying out species. It really does not matter at all if you fly a FBW aircraft, like the B 777, 787 and all Airbuses (from the A 320 on), with a yoke or a side-stick. BTW the most new vessels (tankers, container, ferries) are controlled by a (side)-stick and not anymore by a wheel.

airgeek12

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:22 am

Is this going to be Bombardier's first fly-by-wire a/c or is/are their aircraft always like that?

AirWillie6475

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:49 am

What is the new plane going to look like

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos