Regis
Topic Author

Why No Ryanair Service To GVA?

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:22 am

I have always wondered why FR never took an interest in GVA. It has a huge potential with the very cosmopolitan-travel-friendly-international-rich-Geneva population plus all the surrounding Frenchies for whom GVA is the closest major airport they can find. It is no coincidence that U2 has built a huge hub here. I am sure GVA would support at least one FR route to Stansted for instance. The only reason I can possibly think is that there is a gentleman's agreement between Messrs Stelios and O'Leary to keep off each other's hub. What do you think?

planesarecool

RE: Why No Ryanair Service To GVA?

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:29 am

Geneva is too near a big city for Ryanair!  Big grin

Keep off each others hub? I guess you haven't seen Ryanair's expansion at Luton, Liverpool and East Midlands, three of easyJet's original hubs.

-Stephen

Airplanepics

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:32 am

Why not GVA?

Because GVA is actually an airport, and not a farm.
Because GVA actually has planes, would be a shock to the FR pilots.
Because GVA is actually a city people have heard of.

The list goes on  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Simon  Big grin
Simon - London-Aviation.com

SQno1

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:05 am

Well if FR were to fly to GVA, then they would fly to BSL, and call that Geneva. But of course BSL is a U2 base.

SQno1

flybeq400

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:10 am

I think the large U2/easyswiss presence at GVA is enough to put Ryanair off - along with the high landing charges (even EZY were complaining). Also, I believe the fact that Switzerland is outside the EU (but a member of EFTA) will increase the legal / regulatory burden on FR.

Next step for FR I believe is large expansion into Eastern Europe. Kosice (Bratislava East) anyone? (actually US Steel has lots of business there, STN - Kosice might work!)

Orion737

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:11 am

Gentlemens agreement??? I would hardly call Mr OLeary a gentleman!

Maybe because he has to pay GVA for flying in and out and not the other way round!

flybeq400

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:14 am

I don't believe there is an agreement (even if there was I'm not sure about MOL's respect for it!). I think its more a case of market power. FR and U2 realise they dont have enough market/financial power to fight each other directly (this would lead to massive fare wars) but they are increasingly eyeing up taking out smaller competitors to try and boost yields.

So, more a case of tacit collusion than actual collusion.