flyf15
Topic Author

Continental in Denver

Sat Jan 23, 1999 9:12 am

Can anybody tell me what Continental's hub was like in Denver (flights, routes, planes, etc)? And, why and when did they get rid of their hub in DEN?

DanG

Continental in Los Angeles

Sat Jan 23, 1999 9:30 am

What about Continental in Los Angeles? Didn't they used to be based in LA...What were their routes like there and why did they change?

Cody

RE: Continental in Los Angeles

Sat Jan 23, 1999 10:02 am

Denver First-They pretty much flew to all the big cities non-stop like Seattle, Newark, Dallas, Washington, Philadelphia, etc. and even Honolulu and London with 747's and DC-10's. When they bought Frontier, they ended up with more routes to smaller cities like Boise (remember flight 1713), ands even Cody Wyoming. They had Continental Express going to small cities in Wyoming, Colorado, and Nebraska. They had two big hangars there and when they bought Frontier I am not sure if they took Frontier's hangar or not, but it was impressive in size.

Now LAX-I only go back to the early eighties because that's when my mind officially was old enough to recall, but they flew nonstop to Hawaii, Fiji, Denver, Houston, Washington Dulles, San Jose, San Antonio, El Paso, Ontario, Albuquerque, and Newark. I got this from old timetables. They also had a hangar in LAX.

Both operations closed because they weren't profitable and I think the new Denver airport was the final blow.

A side note-Texas International was actually stronger at dallas then it was in Houston.

Cody

RE: Continental in DEN/LAX

Sat Jan 23, 1999 10:07 am

I almost forgot. In Denver they had a large crew base and flew just about every aircraft imaginable including the little "hot-rod" DC-9s. I think the majority of Denver was shifted to Greensboro and Houston

RE: UA when Continental in DEN

Sat Jan 23, 1999 10:13 am

Was UA as big in DEN when Continental was there?

Cody

RE: UA when Continental in DEN

Sat Jan 23, 1999 10:19 am

Let me just say this and I promise i'll shut up. Yes UAL was just as big or at least they flew to as many cities. I don't know if they ever did heavy maintnenace there though. Also in about 1987 the Continental ramp at DEN was a hodge-podge of color schemes. Some looked like PEOPLExpress, some like New York Air, and some looked like Frontier. A good example of this scheme can be seen on this forum by typing in "Continental Miami". It is the picture of the plane with the tail cone missing.