Dr.DTW
Topic Author

Shannon Is NOT A City In Ireland?

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:26 am

I've been under the impression, that Shannon (SNN) was a city in Ireland. When looking at a map of the country, I noticed that it wasn't on it, and also noticed that it wasn't listed as one of the largest cities. Doing a bit more reading, I realized that "Shannon" is a "region" in western Ireland, and is NOT a city. The airport, SNN, is closest to the city of Limerick, if I'm not mistaken.

Is this correct?

Would love some comments. Are there any other major airports named for "regions" and not necessarily a city??

Dr.DTW

Feroze

RE: Shannon Is NOT A City In Ireland?

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:34 am

From Encarta:

Shannon, river, Republic of Ireland, rising at the foot of Cuilcagh Mountain in the northern part of the country, and flowing about 354 km (220 mi) to the Atlantic Ocean between Loop Head and Kerry Head. The longest river in the British Isles, it forms an estuary about 97 km (60 mi) long below Limerick, to which it is navigable by a chain of locks for vessels up to about 900 tonnes. North from Limerick, the Shannon is navigable for most of its length for small craft. The river passes through several loughs on its course, including Lough Allen, Lough Boderg, Lough Ree, and Lough Derg.

StarCruiser

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:52 am

I don't know as I have only landed in SNN once and that was in the early 1960s on a PA flight making a fuel stop. Two other places that come to mind right now are airports BAH and BDA, both named for countries, and I am sure there are others.

N1120A

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:55 am

>I don't know as I have only landed in SNN once and that was in the early 1960s on a PA flight making a fuel stop. Two other places that come to mind right now are airports BAH and BDA, both named for countries, and I am sure there are others.<

Bahrain is a City-State. Shannon is actually a small village, one that sprung up around the airport. Still, Limerick is the closest place of any sort of size
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Feroze

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:02 am

Bahrain is an Emirate made up of 33 islands, largest island Bahrain. The capital city is Manama.

Regards,

Feroze

[Edited 2005-02-20 01:06:58]

Thomas_Jaeger

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:06 am

Shannon itself has about 10'000 inhabitants I believe, two big industrial estates, a shopping centre, the airport with big maintenance facilities, three hotels, ... not really anything interesting apart from the airport and the river. Still liked it a lot.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

aerlingus330

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:15 am

And what really helps Shannons Industry, is the 50/50 rule.

aerlingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

BA

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:17 am

Quoting Aerlingus330 (reply 6):
And what really helps Shannons Industry, is the 50/50 rule.

Could you explain what the 50/50 rule is?

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Vctony

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:23 am

I believe it's a rule that forces carriers that operate into Ireland operate 50% of their Ireland capacity to Shannon and 50% to Dublin, but I could be wrong.

SHUPirate1

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:26 am

BA-States that for every transatlantic flight an airline flies between Dublin and North America, the airline has to fly one transatlantic flight between Shannon and North America...that rule doesn't just apply to the US-based carriers, it also applies to Air Canada and Aer Lingus as well (although there isn't a single nonstop between Ireland and Canada, likely for said reason)
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Capt.Fantastic

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:36 am

Quoting Dr.DTW: "Are there any other major airports named for "regions" and not necessarily a city??"

When you think about it, Los Angeles is more of a region than a city; e.g. Century City, Hollywood, Pomona, Sherman Oaks etc ... I think when people refer to "LA" they encompass the very vast metro area

sllevin

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (reply 10):
When you think about it, Los Angeles is more of a region than a city; e.g. Century City, Hollywood, Pomona, Sherman Oaks etc ... I think when people refer to "LA" they encompass the very vast metro area

Actually, many of the areas you mention are part of the City of Los Angeles. The city limits are quite vast -- with a few "enclaves" such as Santa Monica and Beverly Hills being seperate cities surrounded by Los Angeles itself.

Steve

aerlingus330

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting BA (reply 7):
Could you explain what the 50/50 rule is?

Vctony is right, it applies for every airline that flies out of Dublin/Shannon to a city outside the continent of Europe. It was made by the Irish government and while it seems like a stupid rule, it is a benifical one. If this rule wasnt in place, Shannon would have very little transatlantic flights, if not none.

aerlingus330

JAFA

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:29 am

What about Detroit. The airport is actually in Romulus, MI. This is several miles from "Detroit".

VS11

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:32 am

Well this rule does not seem very economical to me. If there is not enough traffic, then why should airlines pay to support the route?

Btw, there is a US immigration post that screens pax ex-Shannon.

jc2354

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:36 am

Just about all them islands in the Pacific would count.
If not now, then when?

aerlingus330

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:39 am

Belfast Intl Airport, United Kingdom is 20.3 Miles outside Belfast Centre, this can be confusting to people traveling to the airport from Belfast. But there is an airport in Belfast, Belfast City Airport, I would imagine there would be people going to the wrong airports because of this?

aerlingus330

aerlingus330

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:45 am

Quoting VS11 (reply 14):
Well this rule does not seem very economical to me. If there is not enough traffic, then why should airlines pay to support the route?

Well it is, its the only way to enter Ireland from outside Europe or from America, America has a BIG Irish-American population, so lots of Irish-Americans go to Ireland which fill up the seats on the planes. Annother way it is economical- Aerlingus fill up half their plane in Dublin and pick up the rest in Shannon, this is for people touring the West Of Ireland which a lot of Americans do.

aerlingus330

gearup

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:51 am

The nearest sizable city to Shannon is the City of Limerick as someone said earlier. Shannon grew out of a seaplane base on the Shannon Estuary which was used as a re-fueling stop for the big transatlantic flying boats. It was placed in a good place for a re-fueling stop but really it was the middle of nowhere. The seaplane base was known as Foynes and when land based aircraft replaced the big flying boats the airport was built at nearby Shannon. The town, the industrial estates etc. grew up around the airport which was there first. Shannon played a vital role for many years as a re-fueling stop (still does to an extent) where pax could shop or go on a short sight-seeing trip before continuing their journey. It's future is somewhat threatened by LR aircraft and the fact that most folks traveling to Ireland will want to go to Dublin at some point in their trip. The Shannon stopover rules have helped to keep it alive but I think that this is now costing Ireland now instead of drawing tourists.

GU
I have no memory of this place.

meechy36

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:49 pm

This is for any of you folks who have any info about Shannon, we start flying there on May 1st and am wondering what there is to do around there. We assume we will be at an airport hotel as we haven't heard anything different yet? What I am wondering about is sightseeing? Grocery stores such as Sainsbury's? Health Clubs? Running Paths? Shopping for the girls? Good restaraunts or pubs in walking distance. Also we are told this flight is going to be year round, is the weather pretty much like London or different. Sorry for so many questions but I figured I'd get more accurate info on here than from the company.

Cheers.
Mike in BOS

252MKR

Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:49 pm

There is a picture / monument in the airport bar in Shannon claiming to be the invention point of the "Irish Coffee."
"...If I'm here, and you're here--doesn't that make it our time?" Jeff Spicoli

aerlingus330

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:06 pm

Quoting Meechy36 (reply 19):
What I am wondering about is sightseeing

Its one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland with a lot of interesting history.

pubs in walking distance

Its Ireland, I will say no more...lol

is the weather pretty much like London or different

It has more and heavier winds, definatly more rain and it is colder than Dublin or London because you are facing the North Atlantic, but over all it is a nice place.
Go to www.tourismireland.com

aerlingus330

[Edited 2005-02-20 06:09:19]

undehoulli

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:23 pm

And that's why CO flies EWR-SNN and EWR-DUB!!! Tonight it's a 762 to DUB, and only flights connecting through DUB to SNN (as far as I could tell). During the summer though I bet they'll be sending those 752's across the pond to SNN and DUB direct from EWR.
Weather Modification Rocks!!!

7LBAC111

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:15 pm

Quoting Aerlingus330 (reply 16):
Belfast Intl Airport, United Kingdom is 20.3 Miles outside Belfast Centre, this can be confusting to people traveling to the airport from Belfast. But there is an airport in Belfast, Belfast City Airport, I would imagine there would be people going to the wrong airports because of this?

What drivel! Thats like saying an airport has to be in the City Centre for it to hold the name of it's closest City. I ask you, how close do you think London Heathrow is to London, or New York JFK from New York.
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

aerlingusa330

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Meechy36 - which airline do you work for? Are you a pilot? Just curious. Thanks

AerLingusA330
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

SHUPirate1

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:22 pm

7LBAC111-Ummm, JFK is actually INSIDE of New York City limits. Tough for an airport that is exactly 0 inches from New York City is outside of New York City.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

mdsh00

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:04 pm

SNA comes to mind if you use the "Orange County International Airport" name.

Quoting SHUPirate1 (reply 25):
7LBAC111-Ummm, JFK is actually INSIDE of New York City limits. Tough for an airport that is exactly 0 inches from New York City is outside of New York City.

I think he meant downtown of each city. So in that case, LHR being near Hounslow and JFK being in Jamaica are far from their respective downtowns.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

rootsair

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:16 pm

East midlands is also an airport for a region......as far as i know there is no such city called like that !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

AirNZ

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:45 pm

Aerlingus 330.

Very little confusion, if any at all, here in Belfast! The vast majority of pax are very well aware of what airlines/flights depart from each airport, coupled with the fact that no airline operates from both airports.
I would say there is infinitely more confusion using London (particularly if using Heathrow or Gatwick), New York or Chicago!
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

L410Turbolet

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Quoting Aerlingus330 (reply 12):
Vctony is right, it applies for every airline that flies out of Dublin/Shannon to a city outside the continent of Europe. It was made by the Irish government and while it seems like a stupid rule, it is a benifical one. If this rule wasnt in place, Shannon would have very little transatlantic flights, if not none.

I don't know enough about it to judge wherther it's a stupid rule or not. What is the motivation behind forcing airlines to serve certain airport? Nostalgia over old glory days of turboprops, era which is not coming back? Wouldn't it make more sense to let the airlines decide where they deem economically reasonable to fly? Also, doesn't this nostalgia-motivated(?) rule hurt the DUB airport, which is loosing traffic just because of some official decided that a country of 4 million will have two airports with transatlantic traffic only 200km apart? A situation, which under normal market conditions most likely would not exist.

yow

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:30 pm

it also applies to Air Canada and Aer Lingus as well (although there isn't a single nonstop between Ireland and Canada, likely for said reason)

AC does fly YYZ-DUB-SNN-YYZ, but only on a summer-seasonal basis.

Thomas_Jaeger

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:36 pm

This is for any of you folks who have any info about Shannon, we start flying there on May 1st and am wondering what there is to do around there. We assume we will be at an airport hotel as we haven't heard anything different yet? What I am wondering about is sightseeing? Grocery stores such as Sainsbury's? Health Clubs? Running Paths? Shopping for the girls? Good restaraunts or pubs in walking distance. Also we are told this flight is going to be year round, is the weather pretty much like London or different. Sorry for so many questions but I figured I'd get more accurate info on here than from the company.

There is only one airport hotel at Shannon which is the Great Southern. There are a couple of other hotels in Shannon and between Shannon and Limerick.

With regards to sightseeing, Ennis is worth a visit, Bunratty Castle is too touristy in my opinion. Beautiful countryside, so renting a car and driving up to the Cliffs of Moher and around the Burren area should be worth it. Limerick is good for shopping, Ennis is nicer though and about the same distance from Shannon, Limerick is an industrial city. Good restaurants or pubs should not be an issue  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

ChiGB1973

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:14 pm

I have never stayed in a hotel in SNN, proper, there is one around the airport though and there is a Shannon Hotel training school on the grounds and industrial complexes everywhere. There are lots of tourist attractions around that area. I have generally stayed in Limerick (once in Ennis) and have a great time at the pubs. Those people DRINK! and are fun. The Cliffs a Mohr and several castles in the area are sites to see if you wanna rent a car or take a tour.

As for it being an actual city, I do not know. If I get the chance to go again I will look in to it cause I cannot find anything on the net that is really concrete.

I have no proof of the 50/50 rule applying to American carriers, but Delta serves the cities, one day stopping in Dublin first, the next flight stopping in Shannon first using a 763. It alternates every other flight, I am not sure that it is daily, but I think it is.

I am not sure how USAirways works this, because I have never flown them in or out of there.

As for CO, it was said earlier they have separate flights to DUB.

All the CO (752) and DL (763) flights out of/in to SNN were full. EI (A330) (the ones I have been on) have gone out half full or so and fill up in DUB.

Not that I am any more than an observer, but I have flown in to/out of SNN at least 25 times in the last 2 years.

M

isitsafenow

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:45 pm

In the early and mid 50's TWA used Shannon alot in the flights between NYC and Europe. The equipment then was mostly L 49's, 749's and a handful of 1049 connies around 1954 though 1956. It was pretty much a refueling stop primarily for westbounds. Then the 1049G and 1649's showed up and the stops at Shannon became lest frequent.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Thrust

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:43 am

Isitsafenow, you are exactly correct. In the early 1970s TWA also used Shannon as a major diversion area for LHR flights. Check it out.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Sheridan

Fly one thing; Fly it well

BMI701EGCC

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:29 am

my nan was born in Shannon  Smile
G-PATI-"G-PATI, Back inbound to Barton"MCT APR-"G-PATI, Continue, Keep lookout on VFR traffic"

BritishMidland

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:29 am

SNN makes perfect sense...

Ireland can be traversed in 2-3 hrs. by car, coast to coast. With the frequency of tours and tourist destinations, it only makes sense. The splitting of the routes creates a link for both coasts for tourists to be closer to the beginning of their vacation. I flew into DUB and out of SNN, and many flights leave DUB and go right to SNN before heading back to the states, picking up more pax, and vice versa. Think of taking a trip to Florida-- arrive in Orlando, see Disneyworld etc etc and then head to Tampa for Busch Gardens and leave out of Tampa-- same thing... convenience. Now whether it was convenient when the rule was instituted or not is another issue, but it is now.
Enter the new age: A340-500, 777-200LR, 7E7

Feroze

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting RootsAir (reply 27):
East midlands is also an airport for a region......as far as i know there is no such city called like that !

EMA has recently been renamed Nottingham East Midlands Airport

http://www.eastmidlandsairport.com/

Regards,

Feroze

navairjax

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting JAFA (reply 13):
What about Detroit. The airport is actually in Romulus, MI. This is several miles from "Detroit".

Hence the full name of Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport

gearup

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:56 am

Ireland can be traversed in 2-3 hrs. by car, coast to coast. With the frequency of tours and tourist destinations, it only makes sense. The splitting of the routes creates a link for both coasts for tourists to be closer to the beginning of their vacation. I flew into DUB and out of SNN, and many flights leave DUB and go right to SNN before heading back to the states, picking up more pax, and vice versa. Think of taking a trip to Florida-- arrive in Orlando, see Disneyworld etc etc and then head to Tampa for Busch Gardens and leave out of Tampa-- same thing... Convenience. Now whether it was convenient when the rule was instituted or not is another issue, but it is now.

That may work for Florida but it is not such a good equation for Ireland. The Shannon stop over rule has deterred many airlines from serving Ireland because it forces them to stop at Shannon and incur additional fuel, landing fees etc. As it is now, there are no direct services between Ireland and Canada and it is largely as a result of this rule. Also, Ireland with a total population of just over 4 million people does not have endless resources. One has to consider the huge cost of maintaining 2 large airports when only one is really needed (I don't advocate closing Shannon but Dublin badly needs serious money spent on it to bring it up to standard). In this age, forcing airlines to use Shannon as a condition of getting landing rights in Dublin is an absurd idea and will only hobble Ireland's aviation development. It is certainly holding back Dublin's need of a 'world class' airport. As the political and commercial capitol of Ireland, Dublin needs the Euros being spent to keep Shannon going. Don't get me wrong, I have spent many a wonderful day at Shannon when I was a younger watching aircraft transit through Shannon, aircraft you would never see in Dublin. I would hate to see it vanish completely, besides, I don't believe for one moment that if the Shannon stopover rule ended tomorrow, that it would sound the death bell for Shannon. Just my $0.02 worth.

GU
I have no memory of this place.

Thomas_Jaeger

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:05 am

I am sure that Shannon would still see several nonstop transatlantic flights a day even without the stopover rule, especially in summer. Shannon will become a bigger Ryanair base this year and they also attract more and more other European and UK airlines. So it won't be a death bell for SNN if the stopover rule ended but SNN airport has to be run independently from DUB airport which seems to be more and more the case now.

MD11Engineer

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:51 am

Ok, guys, I´ve lived and worked in Shannon, County Clare between Summer 1998 and autumn 2000.
Shannon is a young, artificial town, founded by the Irish government during and after WW2.
Back in the late 1930s, the Irish government decided to build a landplane airport on the northern bank of the Shannon estuary (which BTW doesn´t have any locks or bridges up to Limerick port, about 25 km east of Shannon town), just to the east of the Fergus bay (Fergus River, which flows into the Shannon, coming from New Market On Fergus and Ennis).
The seaplane airport was sited in Foynes, on the southern bank of the River Shannon in County Limerick, about 20 km west of Shannon town, standing on the seawall at SNN, you can see the chimneys of an aluminium factory at Foynes across the river. Foynes houses the seaplane museum in the old art deco PanAm terminal building).
The area chosen for the new airport was sited in a swamp close to two village called Rineana and Ballycally, which were purely agricultural (mostly cattle breeding due to the rocky ground around the swamp).
To house the workers for the airport, the Irish government built an artificial village immideately to the east of the airfield (to the west you´ll have a golf course and then swampy fields full of cows and sheep before you´ll hit the water of Fergus bay), which was the foundation of today´s Shannon town.
In the late 1950s, the Irish government tried encourage businesses to move to this predominatly rural area with at this time high unemployment by declaring a business park between Shannon town and the airport a tax free zone.
This area grew (Shannon Free Zone) and consists now of two industrial areas, the old one between the town and the airport and a new one on the other side of the town.
Shannon town has a shopping centre with two supermarkets (Tesco and Lidl), several hotels (Old Lodge, Oakwood Arms, Airport Hotel), a nice library and on the airport, several aircraft maintenance facilities.
Here is the homepage of Shannon town council: http://www.shannon.ie/default.html
And here is an aerial picture of the town:

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

lincoln

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:31 am

Quoting Capt.Fantastic (reply 10):

Two things: First, you have Los Angeles County which encompases a huge population base outside of the areas you listed including at the southerly limit Long Beach (though I consider it more OC than LA most of the time  Smile)

Second, as another poster pointed out boundaries of the City of Los Angeles itself are huge, and includes the as otherwise unincorported areas of Hollywood, etc. Every few years Hollywood tries suceeding from the City of Los Angeles and as yet has been unsucessful as has the San Fernando Valley region.

As explained to me we can thank the United States Postal Service for Holywood, Century City, Sherman Oaks, et.al. -- in the days before ZIP codes they needed a way to sort mail bound for various parts of the city and thus the "Hollywood Postal District", among others, was born...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

stirling

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:14 pm

Back to the topic.....

I was always slightly amused when flight attendants would say upon arrival, "Welcome to Dallas Fort Worth Texas", saying it as if it were one individual single place. I've always wanted to yell out, "Make up your mind!, Are we in Dallas, or Fort Worth!"

What is said when arriving at Basle/Mulhouse Europort?
Delete this User

RayChuang

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:24 pm

One thing that I'm surprised the Irish government didn't consider many years ago was a high-speed rail service from SNN back to Dublin itself. That way, SNN wouldn't be considered such an inconvenient airport for Irish tourism and DUB could be better dedicated for flights to the Scotland, Wales, England and the northern European continent.

lincoln

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:39 pm

Quoting Stirling (reply 43):
"Welcome to Dallas Fort Worth Texas", saying it as if it were one individual single place.

You know, I'm still amazed that there's a City of Sea-Tac, Washington and probably wouldn't beive it if it weren't for the "Now Entering" and "Now Leaving" signs at the City Limits. I wonder if anything like that would happen in DFW's case (or is DFW already in an incorporated area?)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ei2ksea

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:50 pm

RayChuang - quite simply Ireland could not have afforded such an option as fast-rail even just 12 years ago. Ireland has experienced huge economic growth over the past 10 years but the 1950s-late 1980s were a period in the complete doldrums. Its only now that slowly the countrys infrastructure is being brought up to central european standards - yesterday it took me 7 hours to drive from Belfast to Cork, a mere 250miles. This is why Shannon was developed as a freeport - goods could be shipped in and out easily without high taxes and so the town grew very quickly with some big names like Bombardier and DeBeers. It was the golden child of Irish industry and definietely one of the biggest industry hubs in a country that never really experienced the industrial revolution - accounting for the airports growth.

The 50/50 rule came about as an attempt to ensure even growth for the west of Ireland. It was politically unpalpable for successive governments to tinker with the rule due to the poliitical power of parliament members (TD's) from Kerry, Limerick, Clare, Galway and further north. Now its just an anachronism however of 1950s government interfertence.

Finally, irish coffee was mentioned; This was a product of a chef called Michael or John Sheridan (I cannot remember the first name) who worked at Foynes. Foynes was the centre of glamour and wealth transitting en route to America in the 1930s with many celebrities, dignitaries and wealthy people. When they arrived from a long, arduous and cold journey from the US or Canada - they were served coffee mixed with whisky and cream to make a hearty and warming Irish Coffee. hey presto - a legend is born.
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

Sam the Lab

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:27 pm

The Shannon stopover remains the main politically supported perversion in Irish aviation forcing transatlantic airlines to stop there if they wish to offer flights to Ireland. Look at the crazy example of the upcoming American Airlines flights. AA see a market between Dublin and Chicago and will start a new service soon with Boeing 767s. Great, delighted to hear that good news. However, to begin the service AA legally have to offer a flight going to Shannon and the solution is a 757 flight between Boston and Shannon, BOS probably being the closest U.S. mainland AA base from Ireland and the shortest distance too. What is happening here is a classic fudge just to satisfy the requirements of the now perverted Shannon stopover. This is nasty and dirty politics and harms other Irish airports, namely Cork Airport, which would clearly have direct flights to New York except for the stopover. People need to understand what is happening. The stopover is there to keep people in soft, cushy jobs at Shannon and the local politicians are too afraid of losing votes by dumping the stopover. Look at the kind of deal Shannon offered to Ryanair to start the new destinations this summer: Ryanair will pay just 50 cent for every passenger and in return Shannon gives Ryanair 1.50 Euro in return as a marketing type subvention so in effect Shannon is paying Ryanair to fly to the new destinations! Where else in western world would you get this kind of crazy deal? This should give you some kind of idea of the madness inherent in Irish aviation. The Shannon stopover harms other Irish airports and stops Irish, American and Canadian airlines from offering flights to and from America and Canada.

highguy76

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:36 am

Thanks for the info MD-11 Engineer,
I've passed by the sign for the "Shannon Free Zone" every day on my way to the airport, and often wondered what it meant.
I've heard rumors (nothing offical) that CO might start Cork flights, anyone hear anything on that side of the pond?
Highguy76

Sam the Lab

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:48 am

Highguy76, thank you for your interest in Cork Airport. Whilst the stopover stays in place it is hard to see Cork moving forward with transatlantic flights of her own. Rumours come and go. Last year there was the hope of some transatlantic charters to New York JFK which were to have been flown by Ryan International 757s. There were to be a series of flights from both Cork and Shannon thereby satisfying the requirements of the perverse Shannon stopover. However, the series fell through due to poor bookings but the main reason for that must surely have been the very short lead in time to the flights, it was just a few weeks and this was crazy and was doomed to failure. This of course played into the hands of the Shannon lobby who have no wish to see transatlantic flights from anywhere except Shannon. There is rumour of a softening of the stopover to a one in three or one in four policy but even if implemented this will do nothing to help Cork Airport. Look at how Air Canada have now decided to quit the Irish market for the coming summer season. The Shannon stopover harms Irish aviation - no scheduled flights to Toronto this summer. This alone says it all?