PPVRA
Topic Author

"New" LCC Start-up In Brazil

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:12 am

Charter airline BRA is to begin scheduled flights as an LCC, and will (finally!) offer some competition for GOL. They are going to receive another 5 aircraft by the end of the year, increasing their fleet from 9 to 14 aircraft. According to Mr. Folegatti, BRA's CEO, they will be receiving three 737-300s and two 757 by the end of the year.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Maiko Lews
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabio Laranjeira

DAC, the Brazilian Civil Aviation Department, has been pressuring BRA to become a regular scheduled airline, and taking into account VP's demise, probably encourage BRA's management to move into that direction sooner.

BRA's current fleet operate only charter flights and is constituted of five 737-300s, three 737-400s, and one 767-200 for European charter flights. In 2003, the airline flew 1.5 million pax, and if already was a regular-scheduled airline they would have about a 5% market share.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria
View Large View Medium

Photo © José Geraldes

BRA belongs to the Panexpress Group, which has ten Hotels in cities in the northeast of Brazil and another three planned to open this year.

Link (Portuguese):

http://noticias.correioweb.com.br/ultimas.htm?codigo=2630713

PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

hardiwv

RE: "New" LCC Start-up In Brazil

Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:27 pm

Good news to see another LCC start up in the Brazilian market!

BRA has very competitive prices and will compete directly with GOL, especially in domestic flights to the Northeast of Brazil.

Are they going to continue with their charter business?

Rgs,

erikwilliam

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:44 pm

Hardi: they have this prices cause they´re a charter company, and that´s the point with other companies, they look like a charter company but they´r not 100% charter.
When they become another LCC, they´ll have a price raise, and then it´ll be fair competition, altough theybelong to two brothers that are "rats" in business terms.

have a nice week fellas.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

backfire

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:46 pm

Hope it doesn't go tits-up (BRA...tits up...geddit?)

hardiwv

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:54 am

Is BRA going to operate their international charter flights as scheduled flights? I know they have a weekly flights AMS-REC.

The market in which BRA operates has good potential, I'm sure they will do quite a good business and spice up some competition with GOL!

Rgs,

PPVRA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Hardiwv (reply 4):
Is BRA going to operate their international charter flights as scheduled flights?

I don't think they would stop their international charter flights. What would ne interesting to see is if they offer domestic flights on their 762s while it isn't flying charters... Now that I want to see!

Moreover, I know BRA is afilliated with Varig, but does anyone have more info on that? Are they partially owned by RG, or is it just an agreement or something?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa

Cheers,

PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

VRG772

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:36 am

BRA is a charter airline, but sells tickets just like a regular airline. Good to see them growing up, and making this change. It was a bit strange to buy BRA's tickets receive just a "charter flight's paper". I couldn't understand why doing that.
BRA is focused in northeast of Brazil, I hope they focus in south too (even knowing that south is mainly RG and JJ domination). Anyway, good to have another "regular" LCC, competing with GOL.

Rgds,
Julio
Decolagem Autorizada.