hardiwv

Airport Closed Due To Weather Conditions

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:19 pm

What major airports are most affected by adverse weather conditions? Any ideas which airports are more times closed during the year because of meteorological conditions, such as heavy snow or fogs?

Applying technology and procedures could provide instrument approaches under a wider range of meteorological conditions. So why some airports still have to be closed? Examples: last month GVA had to be closed for a whole day, and GRU during the winter suffers from intense fogs causing flights to be diverted to CPQ and/or GIG.

Any reactions?

Rgs,

lamedianaranja

RE: Airport Closed Due To Weather Conditions

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:47 am

Well, our hometown airport of Schiphol is very sensitive to weather for one!
Rain, fog, wind, snow, if it's not one thing it's the other, always leading to reduced runway use and therefore to delays and cancellations.
NW DC10 have no CATIII so are forever parked all over the place, DUS, BRU, RTM, LGW.
KLM UK flights with their Fokker fleet are always suffering from weather conditions in the UK and AMS both, on top of the technical problems they seem to have a lot.
So, how come I enjoy working there so much?!?!?
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

soups

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:30 pm

CDG, loads of delays to/from geneva tho
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

FlyMeToTheMoon

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:46 am

FRA closes because it gets all Bush-ed up! Just kidding.

Anchorage closes at times, LGA due to wind/fog, etc.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

FoxBravo

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:58 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (reply 1):
Well, our hometown airport of Schiphol is very sensitive to weather for one!
Rain, fog, wind, snow, if it's not one thing it's the other, always leading to reduced runway use and therefore to delays and cancellations.
NW DC10 have no CATIII so are forever parked all over the place, DUS, BRU, RTM, LGW.

Yes, Schiphol always seems to have morning fog when I land there on transatlantic flights! Once, on Icelandair, we had to divert to CGN because we were running low on fuel. Sure enough, there was a NW DC-10 parked there too, for the same reason!  Smile

But perhaps the most notorious for fog is DEL. Airlines even adjust their schedules during the winter season to take this into account, and I believe AI operates special 747 flights to carry pax to DEL after being diverted to BOM.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire