Topic Author

Delta Landing Gear Door Falls Off

Fri Mar 31, 2000 11:53 am

Yesterday a Delta Shuttle, Fl 1827, 727 departing BOS on a scheduled 930 departure to LaGuardia lost a landing gear door shortly after take-off. Apparently the door fell off, and landed in a residential neighbourhood near the airport. This reminds me of a while bach when a British Airways 747 lost a part of a flap or stabilizer on final approach, also near BOS. Makes you want to watch the sky more carfully, huh?

« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Tom in NO

RE: Delta Landing Gear Door Falls Off

Fri Mar 31, 2000 11:56 am

At MSY, we had a DL 757 in a couple of months ago that had flown all day without it right main wheel strut gear door. Pilot claimed it flew OK, and they'd get one on when they got to ATL or DFW.

Makes you wonder what else they've left off the MEL.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Fri Mar 31, 2000 12:47 pm

Hey, dosnt JETPILOT fly that route for DELTA, or is he USAIRWAYS

Fri Mar 31, 2000 12:55 pm

About a year ago a peice of a NW DC9 fell off the plane when it was on approach to MSP. It turned out that the peice landed right where a woman was gardening minutes before. Very scary knowing that pieces of planes could fly out of the sky and decapitate you at any moment.

Fri Mar 31, 2000 3:12 pm

There was also the case at Midway I believe when a DC-9 lost one of its tires and hit a pregnant ladies car. She was very scared but for the most part I believe she was unhurt.

I believe JETPILOT is with US AIRWAYS. He was a FE on the 727.

Fri Mar 31, 2000 3:32 pm

To you guys that said its very scary to be outside knowing you can get hit by a piece of airplane. LOL well I think theres a lot more stuff in life I would be scared about other than getting hit by a piece of an airplane. I bet one would have better odds of winning the lottery than getting belted by a landing gear door. HAHAHA
From what you guys said, it sounds like if you wanna have the best chances of being hit by something like this, go stand out by Atlanta with all them Delta jets.

Sat Apr 01, 2000 6:26 am

When I was an ops agent for Alaska Airlines I got to see the MEL/CDLs for all the incoming aircraft (as one would expect) and started seeing paterns like almost all of the 737-200 fleet were missing main landing gear strut doors, flap track doors etc. AT least half the MD-80s and 737-400s were missing flap track doors as part of the CDL list, not to mention MELs regularly including landing gear doors (both main and nose). I am wondering if these things fall off more often than we think or if they remove them during maintenance for some reason or another??