POR2GAL
Topic Author

Do Pilots Smoke In The Cockpit?!?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know of or heard of some Pilots deciding to break a rather important in-flight rule/law, by having a smoke in the cockpit, or elsewhere in the aircraft for that matter?

I'm curious after seeing this photo (excellent photo BTW):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Javier Guerrero

I'm pondering why there is a pack of cigs sitting in the Captain's storage, in a rather "easily accessible" manner.

If the Captain had no intention of "accessing" his cigs during the flight (in an A340 no less, probably a long haul), why would he/she even have it in the cockpit like that?

Wink/being sarcastic

Xiao!
Spotters, Inc.

zvezda

RE: Do Pilots Smoke In The Cockpit?!?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:23 pm

AFAIK, the FAA still allows smoking in the cockpit, though in the US nearly all airlines have policies prohibiting it. WN was (perhaps still is?) an exception because Herb Kelleher suffers from a serious nicotine addiction.

iowaman

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:24 pm

In U.S. airspace smoking is prohibited. I would imagine if the pilot got caught he would be fired.

POR2GAL
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:28 pm

Does the FAA allow smoking in the aircraft depending on the origin of the flight / aircraft or where it's positioned (international airspace)?

I thought it was a global aviation law/rule that no smoking at anytime was permitted aboard an aircraft.

Am I wrong?

Xiao!

[Edited 2005-02-22 07:29:10]
Spotters, Inc.

ACYWG

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:33 pm

i seem to remember a number of years ago on an AA flight to San Juan, out of miami, that there was smoking allowed. Though that was some 10 years ago.

burnsie28

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:39 pm

Any US aircraft flying within the United States smoking is prohibited, once airlines decided to go all non-smoking, they may have just made it a law. As for smoking in the cockpit in that pic, I sure as hell wouldnt want to fly anymore, could you imagine how bad that would be, let alone how much of a health risk.

PhilSquares

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:58 pm

First of all, the pilot, in this case the Captain, wouldn't get fired. That isn't an offense that warrants that at all.

Yes, smoking is prohibited by all airlines. However, then there is the real world. Just as some pax will try to sneak a smoke, some pilots will too.

I don't smoke, never have, but grew up with parents who were extremely heavy smokers, so I do sympathize. I have had pilots ask if they could grab a quick smoke, especially on the 14+ hour flights.

Sure it's a health risk, but being 50+, what isn't these days. I'd rather have someone who can concentrate on the flying versus someone who is craving for a smoke.
Fly fast, live slow

POR2GAL
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:07 pm

It's called the patch, or chewing tobacco.

I'd be a little worried if I found out my Captain wasn't focused because of an addiction....

Xiao!
Spotters, Inc.

DLKAPA

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:19 pm

Am I the only one that notices that the captain is sleeping and the F/o is taking the pic?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

POR2GAL
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (reply 8):
Am I the only one that notices that the captain is sleeping and the F/o is taking the pic?

Laugh out loud

I hope the Captain is just slouched over for the F/O to take the pic without obstruction!!

Big thumbs up

Xiao!
Spotters, Inc.

PhilSquares

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm

POR2GAL,

Would you be worried if you found out your FO wasn't focused? I suggest you keep that in mind. As a Captain, it is my perrogative to make those kinds of decisions. That's what I get paid for. Personally, I think chewing tobacco is just about the worst substance know to man. I'd take 2nd hand smoke any day.
Fly fast, live slow

ktachiya

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:15 pm

Hmm........

Well if this policy holds true for US Airspace, what would happen in countries like Japan or Korea?

There, smoking is almost like a norm. I have heard of some strict policies but I always wondered if pilots didn't smoke in the cockpit.

I am a smoker myself and trust me, its a pain on 10 or 11 hour flights. I have a horrible headache by the time I get off the ac. I don't know about pilots but if they are originally smokers and they are concentrating that much, I would reckon that some of them will DESPERATELY want to smoke.
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

L1011Lover

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Of course they do smoke... I know of a lot of pilots who are heavy smokers and they smoke in the cockpit... of course most of them ask their co-pilots if they would mind...

keep in mind... once the doors are closed and the aircraft is airborne it is kind of autonomous... and the cpt. is the big guy up there...

Gabrielz

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Umm, to reiterate a previous post:

FAA regulations do not prohibit pilots from smoking in the cockpit, nor the crew from smoking in crew rest areas. Only pax areas are smoke free, according to the regs.

The airlines have their own rules about what's allowed vis-a-vis smoking in the cockpit, but it is not the law.

As for smoking rules on non-US carriers in US airspace: yes, US regulations extend to non-US carriers whose origin or destination is the US. Aeroflot tried to get an exemption to this rule a few years back and pretty much failed. In the EU, I believe the rule is that scheduled carriers may not allow smoking, though charter carriers may (at their discretion) - but there was some talk that this rule had been amended.

L1011Lover

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:59 pm

Even in the US Non-US charter carriers are still allowed to offer smoking flights... or at least they still were allowed about 2 years back... Condor still offered Smoking Flights to the US until December 2003 I think!

L1011Lover

cornish

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:20 pm

I've flown jump seat on a couple of Mediterranean based airlines where the pilots spent almost all of the flight smoking !
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Doona

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:42 pm

I get the feeling that perhaps somewhere in the CIS there might be a flightcrew or two lighting up in the cockpit. As far as I know, most airlines there don't yet prohibit smoking onboard A/C... Plus, for those of you who have tried Russian cigarettes, they're not your marlboro or camel or whatever! They're packed to the brim with tar and about three times the amount of neuro-toxins that we speak so ill of in the western world... So who would like their pilot sucking down those during a heavy crosswind final approach???
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

BALandorLivery

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Ask this guy, he probably knows the law.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography

Here is the evidence you wanted, pilots do smoke in the cockpit.

Whether it is allowed is a different issue.

Regds.

airgeek12

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:15 pm

So BY LAW smoking is allowed in the cockpit, but not the cabin? Don't you think pax would nothing, though, if the capt was smoking in the cockpit?

wjv04

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:46 pm

I have not seen pilots smoke in the cockpit of passenger flights. However I have seen on several occasions cargo pilots smoking in the flightdeck.

su

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:07 pm

Took a flight from Kiev to Moscow Domodedovo on Sibir last year in November. It was Tu-154B-2. During taxiing, after we landed, the flight engineer came out of the cockpit and HUGE cloud of smoke came out with him. (I was sitting in the first row and could see it) and on my way out of the plane I looked into the opened cockpit door and both pilots were smoking right there...
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

JetboyTWA

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 pm

Does all this smoke cause any problems to the many avionics and electrical equipment in the flight deck?

-Ryan

Lindy

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:37 am

LOT Polish Airline pilots do smoke in the cockpit on transatlantic flights. And sometimes flying LOT you will get flight attendant that stinks like she just eate ashtray.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

xpat

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:45 am

Back in 1999 I was on an MH flight LAX-NRT-KUL and smoking was allowed. At that time MH permitted smoking on flights to and from Japan. On the way back, KUL-TPE-LAX smoking was not permitted.

Not sure what their policy is now.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:13 am

Smoking is Prohobited,But in my previous Workplace there were quite a Few Pilots that were smokers.
In the Current Airline,there are Tobacco chewers Though  Sad .Screwing up the Boom mike.
I know a Pilot who when He tries to talk to Anyone,People stand besides him rather than Accross to avoid a pray of Chewed Tobacco flying around.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

September11

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:56 am

I hope there's ashtrays installed in cockpits for pilots' use...
Airliners.net of the Future

POR2GAL
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:02 am

I mean, there's stuff like Nicorette too. I do appreciate though, that gum may not help much.

This has shed light on my concern. Thanks all! I guess if it's done responsibly (as in, not during finals), everything is fine.

My main concern is more directed towards the possibility of a smoke becoming more of a distraction.

However, if I were a smoking pax, and I was prohibited from smoking on a 14 hour flight, yet I knew the crew were smoking away in the flight deck, I'd certainly have an issue to take up with an attendant.

As a pax, if I asked to go to the flight deck to have a smoke, I'm certain I'd be denied. Does anyone know what the response is to a pax asking to have a smoke, desperately?
Spotters, Inc.

767-332ER

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:02 am

Well, the first picture...it is after all a Spanish crew and spanish are definitely known for smoking quite heavily..so I would assume that possibly he could smoke and after seeing the SAS' picture...I think it is almost certain.
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

boeing767-383

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting 767-332ER (reply 27):
and after seeing the SAS' picture...

it's an MD-83 from Spirit Airlines.....

Morvious

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting Doona (reply 16):
So who would like their pilot sucking down those during a heavy crosswind final approach???

Ok, this would be a little extreme. But I wouldn't mind if my captain is smoking in the cockpit when enroute! If he doesn't light the cockpit on fire, or doesn't smoke when departing/approaching and airport it is fine by me!

Remember, smokers get calm if they light up a cigarette. That is a lot better then a man up front who is shaking for nicotine!
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

N1120A

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:11 am

>Does the FAA allow smoking in the aircraft depending on the origin of the flight / aircraft or where it's positioned (international airspace)?<

There is no smoking allowed on any flight that comes into or goes out of the US.

>So BY LAW smoking is allowed in the cockpit, but not the cabin?<

Well, actually, by law, smoking is not allowed in the cabin and is not dissallowed in the cockpit. There is a difference.

>Don't you think pax would nothing, though, if the capt was smoking in the cockpit?<

I will assume that nothing = notice and say that probably not. The cockpit door forms a pretty good seal, especially now, and unless you had the pilots hotboxing, the pax would likely not notice
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

aeromexico757

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:20 am

here is another pic

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marlo Plate - Iberian Spotters

ckfred

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:28 am

I can say that pilots don't smoke nearly as much as they used to, but that probably reflects trends similar to the U.S. population, as a whole.

A friend of mine, in the early 90s, used to fly Carribean routes for AA as a 727 F/E. On flights between ORD and SJU, the F/As used to come up to the cockpit for a breather, because the air, particularly in First, was so heavy with cigarette smoke.

manu

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:48 am

In Canada it is becoming only legal to smoke outside or in your own house. Everywhere else it is becoming illegal, including bars and restaurants. I personally am totally a fan of this. No smoking areas beside smoking areas do not work. It is like a no peeing area in a swimming pool. No thank you!

As for flights, I am thankful that PAX do not and cannot smoke. The thought of a metal tube full of cigarette smoke makes me want to puke. Crew should not be smoking IMO, but obviously I am very biased towards this given my opinion. But I still think the swimming pool concept applies, even on the flightdeck.

Isn't fresh air first put into the flight deck to help push anything in the air out in the event of an emergency?

sq_ek_freak

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:09 am

Both the Captain and F/O were smoking on an MH flight from KUL to EWR via DXB...so I assume smoking IS allowed in the flight deck on US bound flights as well.
Keep Discovering

TYSGoVols

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:13 am

A lot of the smokers I know can and will just suck on a cancer stick. Not sure why but when they can't smoke sucking it in comes in handy from what I have heard.

<>< Garen
Rocky Top You'll Always be home sweet home to me, Good ole' Rocky Top WOOOOO

Sabena332

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:43 am

Of course do pilots smoke in the cockpit, on some of my jumpseat flights I got offered a cigarette from either the captain or the F/O, of course I didn't refuse  Smokin cool.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

airgeek12

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting N1120A (reply 30):
>Don't you think pax would nothing, though, if the capt was smoking in the cockpit?<

I will assume that nothing = notice and say that probably not. The cockpit door forms a pretty good seal, especially now, and unless you had the pilots hotboxing, the pax would likely not notice

Ya I meant notice*, sorry about the spelling error.

Quoting September11 (reply 25):
I hope there's ashtrays installed in cockpits for pilots' use..

haha yea. I bet it leaves the cockpit smelling pretty bad, too for the next flight crew.

tallguy14

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:11 am

Yes, I know of one case where the Captain of a major US airline smoked a cigarette during taxi. The flight was operating from the US to Japan. He opened the cockpit window and directed the fans to blow the smoke away, then puffed away. He flicked the butt before shutting the window again.

On arrival hours later, he lit up again as soon as they cleared the runway. TRUE STORY! I won't name names, date, aircraft or airline. A friend of mine, who was one of the copilots on this flight, told me about it. At least the Captain asked if they minded a little smoke before he lit up!

ewr767

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:49 am

As a flight attendant, I personally have witnessed one of my captains smoking in the cockpit in flight. He would blow the smoke down towards the rudder petals. Maybe there was a vent there or something. F/O didn't care.

POR2GAL
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:01 am

IMO, I find it unprofessional. I think it paints an unprofessional image.

Back in the 70's, smoking actually portrayed professionalism, in all careers.

But in this day in age, I find it unacceptable for someone in any professional position to be lighting one up on the job.

I tend to look at Pilots as high level executives, dressed in their pressed 3-piece suits, driving a Benz or a bimmer.

When I see the photos of a Pilot smoking, however, I tend to see the equivalent of a high level executive, cruising into work driving a loud Hog, sporting a long beard, and wearing a bandana.

It just doesn't jive for me. Personal opinion, of course.

Xiao!
Spotters, Inc.

KYIPpilot

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:34 am

As stated, it is not illegal for pilots to smoke in the cockpit, but most company ops do not allow their pilots to smoke in the cockpit.

Also, all the crap that is in cigarette smoke wreaks havoc with the CRT's and modern avionics in the new airplanes. Apparently it gets into the components, and is not good for the systems.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

afay1

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:48 am

The major Russian airlines ban smoking in the cabin, though the bathroom rule is spottily enforced, and certainly no one would bother to stop the pilots/engineers from smoking. Hence, smokey smokey! Russian cigarrettes are indeed obnoxious...

iowaman

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting PhilSquares (reply 6):
First of all, the pilot, in this case the Captain, wouldn't get fired.

If you work for AS and get caught smoking at home, your fired!

September11

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:40 am

hey, I remember on EA 757 ATL-SFO flight, flight attendants smoked in the rear gallery (not permitted to do so - to my knowledge). however, they are flight attendants smoking cigarettes inflight, but not the pilots. I remember a flight attendant taking a break and smoke a cigarette (break time sitting on first class seat on EA DC-10 GIG-EZE flight). I am sure our commerical airlines right now: no-no..

Air Canada flight emergency landing -- you see what happened to that plane in the picture below: fire caused by SMOKING cigarette!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Capt. Grieder

Airliners.net of the Future

AeroVodochody

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:52 am

Here's another one, although I don't know if CSA allows it...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

Aerosvit

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:41 pm

I can tell you that about...7 or so years back when I flew CSA...they did have a smoking section. I don't know about now but they did. I'm sure smoking is allowed in the cockpits. Plus...smoking in europe is very common and the laws might be more leniant on smoking in cockpits.

As for the whole law breaking rule...well...no ones perfect. And it's not illegal unless cought right  Wink/being sarcastic
Clava Ykraini

qxeguy

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:34 pm

For me, I asked myself "Which do I like more...Smoking or Flying. With all the cardio-vascular damage that we KNOW cigarettes cause..why put a 1st class medical at risk by trying to hide smoking damage from an EKG?
I fly boxes. Boxes don't bitch. Boxes don't barf. Boxes don't get drunk and do a number 2 on the beverage cart.

Brido

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:27 pm

Quoting September11 (reply 44):
Air Canada flight emergency landing -- you see what happened to that plane in the picture below: fire caused by SMOKING cigarette!!

This statement is UNTRUE, check your facts. From the NTSB report:

***Probable Cause Misc eqpt/furnishings,lavatories. Fire Safety advisory Conflicting. Other crewmember Unsafe/hazardous condition Not understood.***

It is believed this fire was caused by a faulty lavatory flush motor which overheated.

In aviation safety circles, this is an infamous emergency landing with desperate and tragic circumstances. It not only led to onboard mechanical improvements, but updated Flight Attendant training, communications, and Crew Resource Management.

Smoking is a nasty habit, and does not belong on passenger aircraft for health and safety reasons. But it was not a factor in the Air Canada DC-9 emergency.

mcdog

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:34 pm

I certainly don't smoke in the cockpit, or anywhere else for that matter.