rootsair

EWR Or JFK?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:37 am

Hi

I am writing this thread on behalf of a friend i have who has some sort of business. He is planning on flying to NewYork from Paris and would like to know if its quicker to get to downtown manhattan via JFK or EWR . He plans on getting to the center either via a cab or via the train . what would be best for him. thanks in advance
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

unitedrhapsody

RE: EWR Or JFK?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:42 am

In my experience, JFK is much quicker by road, Just my experience.....EWR is not that far away from Manhattan, and usually doesn't take that long. However, with New York traffic it's pretty unpredicable.

You can take a train to/from JFK or EWR into/out of Manhattan.

These may help:

http://www.airtrainnewark.com
&
http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain

[Edited 2005-02-22 23:54:26]

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:42 am

To downtown Manhattan you should go with EWR, it is about a 12 to 20 minute ride to the City. From JFK about 45 minutes. I usually go to JFK but if he need to get to downtown quickets go with EWR.
No Vueling No Party

jfklganyc

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:44 am

As someone who gets into this once a month--THIS IS A STUPID THREAD!!!
It does nothing but start an argument between Kennedy and Newark fans. It has been run dozens of times!!!

But one more time:

Both have trains: AirTrain JFK/ AirTrain Newark
Both are 15-16 miles from Manhattan
Both can take as little as 20 minutes to get to or as long as 2 hours depending on taffic/route

Do a search!

rootsair

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:47 am

Do they both have a train to Penn station ?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

flyguy1

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:49 am

Alitalia:
12-20 minute ride? At 3am maybe on a tuesday night maybe.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

airgeek12

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:50 am

I'd say EWR because than you can take the "air train" thing or whatever it's called.

aaflt1871

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:50 am

Quoting RootsAir (reply 4):
Do they both have a train to Penn station ?

Yes, they do.
Where did everybody go?

PanAm747

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:55 am

From EWR, take the airtrain (the monorail system that connects the terminals) to the train station. From there, either NJTransit ($12 each way) or Amtrak (more than $12) will take you into Penn Station in Manhattan. Buses are available, but they can be subject to traffic delays. The trains are much more reliable.

There has been talk at JFK of getting trains out to it, but I have not done it. JFKLGANYC, if you have an update on the train situation, I'd like to hear it. I don't know if it is complete, or if a required train change at Jamaica, Queens, is necessary.

As for the airports themselves, both have undergone renovations, and are both great airports (there - no one can start an EWR vs. JFK war now!!). Both are equally able to process their passengers in a timely fashion, so the choice is up to you.

Safe travels!!  Big thumbs up
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

gothamspotter

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:56 am

Do they both have a train to Penn station?

Neither has a direct link to Penn Station.

JFK: AirTrain to subway to Penn Station = over an hour
AirTrain to Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station = about 40-45 minutes

EWR: AirTrain to New Jersey Transit train = about 40-45 minutes

As mentioned in a previous post, neither is superior than the other when it comes to travel to/from Manhattan.

alb222

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:00 am

One advantage of JFK to me is the flat rate cab ride. Even if there is traffic, at least you are in a cab and you know what you're paying.

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:10 am

From JFK the cab to the city with traffic around the LGA area is about 45 minutes.

From EWR to NYC it is about a 30 minute drive. From Nyack, New York it is only a 25 or 30 minute drive with some traffic to the city, and a 35 minute drive to EWR. So it has to be shorter then that from EWR!
No Vueling No Party

Bobster2

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:26 am

> One advantage of JFK to me is the flat rate cab ride

My taxi ride from EWR was flat rate plus tolls.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

alb222

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:32 am

Quoting Bobster2 (reply 12):
> One advantage of JFK to me is the flat rate cab ride

Out of curiousity, what is the fare and tolls from EWR?

zotan

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:38 am

Just pick the cheapest flight. The time from both airports to Manhattan is about the same and does 10-15 minutes really matter that much?

jfklganyc

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:43 am

Actually, the JFK rail link is far superior then the EWR one.

More options:

Once you get to Jamaica you can take the subway "E" Line for $2. Stops at Van Wyck, Union Tpke, Continental Ave, Roosevelt Ave, Queens Plaza, Ely Ave . . . and then Lexington Ave MANHATTAN. From Jamaica this is 20 minutes to Manhattan because it is an Express Train.

Add on the $5 and 15 minutes for the AirTrain portion and you get a total of $7 and 40 minutes to Lexington Ave on the East Side of Manhattan.

This is by far the CHEAPEST and MOST EFFICIENT mass transit trip from any of the three airports into Manhattan. Keep in mind that the subway runs every 3 minutes at rush hour, every 5 min throughout the day and every 15 min at night--24 hours a day.

If you want to spend a few more dollars you can hop on the Long Island RR from Jamaica and be in Penn Station in Manhattan on the WEST SIDE in 20 minutes. If you catch an Express train (no stops at all between the two stations) you will be there in less then 20 minutes.

Newark doesnt have the options.

timz

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:03 am

"From Jamaica [the E train] is 20 minutes to Manhattan"

MTA says 28 minutes from the end of the line to Lex-- what's that, one stop farther?

"the subway runs every 3 minutes at rush hour, every 5 min throughout the day"

MTA says every 4-6 min rush hour, 6-8 min midday.

STT757

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:03 am

"Actually, the JFK rail link is far superior then the EWR one."

While the JFK light rail system technology is superior that's where the advantage stops, the layout of the EWR system is smaller and more conveinent.

The Newark Airport Airtrain has it's own Rail link station for Airport passengers only, everyone boarding or exiting are heading for the airport. There is no street or foot access, also the Rail link station (where Airtrain meets Amtrak/NJ Transit) is less than a 1/4 mile from CO's Terminal C.

The Newark Airtrain station sits on Amtrak's Northeast corridor, while not the French TGV the Northeast corridor is superior to the LIRR's tracks. NJ Transit EMU's offer vastly superior performance and reliability compared to the LIRR's which use third rail technology and slower performing EMUs.

Newark Airport can be reached directly by rail from as far North as Boston and Springfield Mass, as far West as Harrisburg PA, and as far South as North Carolina.

Amtrak offers hourly service to Newark airport from all along it's Northeast regional network, NJ Transit offers direct service from NY Penn, Trenton, Princeton, the Jersey Shore as well as connecting service from Rockland and Orange Counties NY via Secaucus Transfer.

Newark Airport Rail link station, Amtrak HHP-8 pulling a Northeast Regional train on the left. On the Right an NJ Transit Arrow III EMU heading South/West bound towards Princeton and Trenton.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

iluv747400

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:14 am

Newark has other options
Quoting JFKLGANYC (reply 15):
Newark doesnt have the options.

There are other options from Newark. If you take the NJ Transit train one stop north from EWR to Newark Penn Station, which costs $6.80, you could then switch to the PATH train (stands for Port Authority Trans Hudson, a separate subway system which connects NJ to Manhattan). It offers quick service to the World Trade Center (or where it once was, still the name of the station) for $1.50. The PATH trains also serve several stops on the lower West Side ending at 33rd Street (just south of Penn Station).

timz

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:24 am

"the Rail link station (where Airtrain meets Amtrak/NJ Transit) is less than a 1/4 mile from CO's Terminal C."

Maybe 0.8 mile, as the crow flies.

Amtrak/NJT beats LIRR in many respects, but if you're just riding to Manhattan LIRR is about as fast.

timz

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:28 am

"If you take the NJ Transit train one stop north from EWR to Newark Penn Station, which costs $6.80, you could then..."

To get to Newark Penn Station, just take the #62 NJTransit bus. It's about as frequent as the train, takes little if any longer (one seat instead of two) and costs $1.10 (?).

rjpieces

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:58 am

In deciding between JFK and EWR, look at the airline and aircraft as well. JFK generally features the flagship services of many airlines where as EWR is just any other N. American station.

What airline is your friend flying?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

LRGT

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:03 pm

Quoting RJpieces (reply 21):
JFK generally features the flagship services of many airlines where as EWR is just any other N. American station.

The last time I checked Air France flies into BOTH EWR and JFK, plus EWR has CO and AI too. I would actually consider EWR more of a flagship. AFTER ALL, Singapore Airlines' longest flight in the world is to EWR (NOT JFK) ...speaking of flagship, I think they settled it!

Typically flights to EWR book first and they try to push you to JFK for the lowest fare.

I would take AF to EWR so you get an A340, since they use 777 into JFK....STRANGE but that is the way they do it. If you want the 777 you can still go to Newark, but take CO. If you want a 747, take Air India to EWR.
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!

STT757

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:07 pm

"JFK generally features the flagship services of many airlines where as EWR is just any other N. American station."

CO launching EWR-Hong Kong in March '01, at the time the longest nonstop in the World.

Singapore Air Currently has the longest nonstop with their EWR-Singapore Service.

CO just received rights to launch EWR-Beijing this year.

AMS

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:46 pm

EWR should be more quicker to Manhatten

Regards,
AMS

rjpieces

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:20 pm

I would take AF to EWR so you get an A340, since they use 777 into JFK

AF's 777s have more premium seats. They use the A340 on lower yielding routes. So saying EWR is better for them with 340s than JFK with 777s is a bit opposite of the truth.

Singapore Airlines' longest flight in the world is to EWR (NOT JFK) ...speaking of flagship, I think they settled it!

Well, I wouldn't want you to let facts get in your way of thinking......But, as has been posted on A.net numerous times, the only reason SQ chose to launch the nonstop service to EWR was because EWR-AMS-SIN wasn't yielding as much as JFK-FRA-SIN. They chose to end the lower-yielding EWR-AMS-SIN flights and replace it with the 345.

CO launching EWR-Hong Kong in March '01, at the time the longest nonstop in the World.

CO has a hub at EWR. I would expect them to have a global network. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't UA operate JFK-HKG nonstop for a short time in 2000 or early 2001?

Singapore Air Currently has the longest nonstop with their EWR-Singapore Service.

See above.

CO just received rights to launch EWR-Beijing this year.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a plethora of different airlines flying all over the world than having just CO.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

nycflyer

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:53 am

ugh. JFKLGANYC, you called it, this thread started a JFK vs. EWR war. Almost as bad as A vs. B!!

I'll throw my 2 cents in: if you're taking a cab, JFK is cheaper (though still not cheap). if you're taking the train, I would prefer EWR simply because the transfer to the AirTrain is easier, and I would think it's quicker than JFK, but not by much. But the JFK subway/LIRR trains are fine.

And enough of the flagship airport talk. We'll go on all night arguing.

Bottom line, there is not a huge difference on JFK vs. EWR in travel time and cost to Manhattan, they're pretty similar despite being in opposite directions. Neither are terribly easy!

STT757

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:53 am

Quoting RJpieces (reply 25):
I wouldn't want you to let facts get in your way of thinking......But, as has been posted on A.net numerous times, the only reason SQ chose to launch the nonstop service to EWR was because EWR-AMS-SIN wasn't yielding as much as JFK-FRA-SIN. They chose to end the lower-yielding EWR-AMS-SIN flights and replace it with the 345.

Unless you consider Concordeboy to be a source of facts it's still just his take on the matter, it was never published or stated by anyone anywhere except for a specific memeber of our A-Net community (Concordeboy). While I enjoy his posts greatly and consider him a valuable member of the community to take his posts that seriously as to refer to them as "facts" is a stretch.

STT757

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting RJpieces (reply 25):

CO has a hub at EWR. I would expect them to have a global network. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't UA operate JFK-HKG nonstop for a short time in 2000 or early 2001?

UAL launched the JFK-HKG flight AFTER CO launched their EWR-HKG route, it was in response to CO. UAL's JFK-HKG flight did not last very long, a hasty response and an equally hasty retreat.

jfklganyc

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:44 am

STT757,
New day, new Bullsh*t from you.

A long time ago I gave up trying to have a rational conversation with you.

So for STT's sake:

Newark is the NY area's flagship airport. It offers more airlines, more destinations, and more choices then JFK ever has or ever did.

AirTrain Newark and Amtrak is faster and cheaper to anywhere in Manhattan. Hell, EWR is by far the preferred choice for the entire region.

EWR has one flight that represents the longest flight in the world. This makes Newark the flagship airport not only of NY, but the east coast, the country, and of course the world.

NJ Transit is a far superior railway than the LIRR. PATH is far superior to the subway. The grass is far greener in NJ. And by the way, that isn't smog over Hoboken--it's happy gas that makes the world a far more enjoyable place.

By the way . . . if you believe any of the above is true--I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn, um I mean Bayonne.

PJ

alb222

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:53 am

Quoting JFKLGANYC (reply 29):
By the way . . . if you believe any of the above is true--I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn, um I mean Bayonne

Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

deltaamtrak058

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:34 am

There is also a bus from EWR to Port Authority Bus Terminal. That takes you right into the heart of the city. But all depends on traffic..the cost is about $5.00USD...worth the money...
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul. -Sir Walter Raleigh

ZRH

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:45 am

By train I don't know. By car it takes the same time and always depends on traffic, you never know. The advantage of JFK is that the taxis are much cheaper. At JFK you have NYC taxis with a flat rate (35 plus toll plus tip). At EWR you have New Jersey taxis which are not allowed to pick up passengers in NYC, for that they charge much more.

N62NA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting ZRH (reply 32):
At JFK you have NYC taxis with a flat rate (35 plus toll plus tip).

This is strange. Last September or so I was charged $55 (plus toll + tip). Back in December, it was back to $45 (plus toll +tip).

ZRH

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:09 am

Quoting N62NA (reply 33):
This is strange. Last September or so I was charged $55 (plus toll + tip). Back in December, it was back to $45 (plus toll +tip).

From JFK to any place in NYC they have a flat rate (it was $ 35 almost two years ago, I don't know how much it is now). From down-town to airport there is strangely no flat rate. If you were charged $ 45 or $ 55 from the airport it wouldn't have been correct. There is a notice in the taxi which tells you the flat rate. Did you take the official cabs at JFK, were you have to line up? I actually don't know if they gave up this flat-rate.

[Edited 2005-02-24 03:10:59]

[Edited 2005-02-24 03:13:26]

N62NA

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:53 am

Quoting ZRH (reply 34):
If you were charged $ 45 or $ 55 from the airport it wouldn't have been correct. There is a notice in the taxi which tells you the flat rate. Did you take the official cabs at JFK, were you have to line up? I actually don't know if they skipped this flat-rate.

Yeah, well I made sure to check the last time I took the cab to midtown Manhattan from JFK back in December. Posted fare was $45 flat rate. Will probably be making this trip again in the upcoming months (my next MIA-NYC flight is thru EWR), so a word to the wise... everybody taking a NYC yellow cab from JFK to Manhattan, make sure you know the rate before you get in the cab!

nycflyer

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:18 pm

yes, the rate increased from $35 to $45 a year ago, when all cab fares when up 25%. with toll and tip, $45 becomes $55. that's why I take the train!

alb222

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:25 pm

A little high for one person; great when you have more than 1. Take Super Shuttle if there is only one person.

As a side note, I am 12 miles from SJC, a shuttle is $30 and a cab $45. From SFO a distance of 20 miles, a cab is $90..................NY still has amongst the lowest cab rates!

STT757

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:30 pm

From EWR to Manhattan, flat rates not including tolls.

Battery -- West 58th Street.....$40.00

West 35th Street -- West 58th Street.....$45.00

West 59th Street -- West 109th Street.....$50.00

West 110th Street -- West 185th Street.....$55.00

From JFK, does not include tip (20%)

Manhattan Flat Fare is $45 to the first destination (plus tolls and tip). The taximeter and receipt should relfect that this trip is a flat fare. There is no $1 peak time or 50-cent night surcharge for these trips.*

It's actualy cheaper rate wise to take a taxi from EWR to Manhattan (if your heading for Lower Manhattan or the West Side), when you include the $6.00 toll it's one dollar more than JFK's flat rate of $45.00. Remember you pay tolls only one way, so the total tolls is $6.00.

Do JFK cabs take the Mid-Town tunnel?.. If they do do they charge for tolls on top of the $45 dollar rate?..

flyguy1

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:03 pm

The cab driver will ask you whether you prefer to take the tunnel, or bridge.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

STT757

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:16 pm

Quoting Flyguy1 (reply 39):

How would you go?..

I usually don't take the Mid-Town tunnel to JFK because Im usually coming from NJ so I go through Staten Island. However on the few occasions I was going to JFK from Manhattan I took the Mid-Town tunnel, Im sure locals know the local exits but I find it's better to stick with the Mid-Town tunnel etc..

RDUDDJI

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:23 pm

This has been discussed in countless other threads.

My vote is JFK. It's really easy now with the airtrain thing. Single transfer to get to the E?(maybe A) line Plus you won't have to worry about doing circles near SWF due to the arrival volume at dinner time in EWR. Has anyone else noticed the nightly groundstops around 2200z at EWR for ZDC, ZNY, sometimes the whole first tier?
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

flyguy1

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:48 am

STT:
I would take the midtown tunnel, as its much easier to travel through. If I was in a cab, I might go with the Q-Boro bridge to save a few bucks.

ZRH

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:58 am

Quoting NYCFlyer (reply 36):
yes, the rate increased from $35 to $45 a year ago, when all cab fares when up 25%. with toll and tip, $45 becomes $55. that's why I take the train!

Ok the flat rate (plus toll and tip) still exists (now $ 45).

Quoting Flyguy1 (reply 39):

It always depends on where you have to go. I often went to east 96th street, for this place Triborough Bridge is best. There you have to pay a toll.