neilalp

Laser Pointed At Plane Landing At DTW

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:41 am

From a news station in detroit..

A laser pointer was apparently directed at the cockpit of a plane landing at Metro Airport on Saturday.

continued at... http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4222334/detail.html

Great just when we thought they were lose with spotting at DTW, looks like things may change...But I'll be there for the Air France arrival. I'll just make sure my car is completely empty and all I have is my camera. Can't be charged for that.

[Edited 2005-02-23 01:44:12]

HlywdCatft

RE: Laser Pointed At Plane Landing At DTW

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:46 am

**""Great just when we thought they were lose with spotting at DTW, looks like things may change...But I'll be there for the Air France arrival. I'll just make sure my car is completely empty and all I have is my camera. Can't be charged for that.""**

You wanna make a bet?

DTW has had some of the toughest security of many airports. I was chased out of there many times long before 9-11 happened. All around the country people with cameras are getting busted, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens at DTW next.

Where would you take the Air France photos? From the Midfield garage level 8? Then again you wouldn't know what runway it will land on.

nwafflyer

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:56 am

Please explain what spotting, or watching planes, has to do with shining a laser into a cockpit? Spotting is a harmless activity, while shining lasers is potentially very very dangerous to the pilot(s) eye sight first, and second, to the entire plane if eyesight is damaged.

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:59 am

Quoting Neilalp (reply 0):
A laser pointer was apparently directed at the cockpit of a plane landing at Metro Airport on Saturday.

"In other news, Britney Spears farted today".

Is it just me, or is this rediculous?

Report it, find the source, and arrest him.

Must be a slow news day.

Sorry, but i'm not buying the importance of this. If anyone else can change my mind, feel free.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

neilalp

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:18 am

HlywdCatft,

As you and I are big time DTW posters I'm sure you've seen some of my comments about DTW, but I'll state them again. I've never once had an issue at DTW.(With cops or airport police)

For the internationals and for the flight such as the Air France one I'll have my scanner on and hang out at either by the Northwest Inn or at the comfort inn. Both sports are great for the 22's. Most likely it will arrive on the 22's but like always there is a possibility for change. When you are there and listening you kind of get the feel of whats going on. Thus a 22L landing I'll stick by the Northwest INN lot and if the 22R is in store I'll drive down wick road to a little turn off where I tend to get out of my car walk across the street and down a stone/dirt path. As far as landing 4L there is an office park south west of the landing path across I-275.

Yes, correct, I don't tend to double park and pull off the road and stand next to airport property where people do get questioned, but I'm thinking if this laser thing happend 5miles north of the airport they may start moving outward to near by roads such as Wick which are .5miles from the airport.

Now I don't have great camera equipment and really don't have the money to spend, however I just go to enjoy the planes, so here are some shots from those places. I'm sure someone with great equipment and getting better Michigan weather could have a field day.

In front of the Northwest Inn

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Neil Alpert
MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Neil Alpert

On the stone path

Nwafflyer, spotting and the laser go together, b/c with this lasers happenings us spotters are going to be the first people looked at as we hang around airports.