ramerinianair

Bad Weather And No Jetway?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:00 am

I have never seen this happen and always wondered! I mostly traveled out of JFK and LGA when my Mother worked for TW. After they were "aquired"(more like dissolved into AA) my Mother didn't work there anymore and we started to fly DL/CO. This was very convienant due to their service out of ISP, now even more convienant with their partnership. Anyway, I wanted to know what the airlines does for passengers when it is raining heavy or snowing?
Thanks,
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

FokkerVII

RE: Bad Weather And No Jetway?

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:04 am

When I was in Iguacu in Brazil Varig provided umbrellas to all of us disembarking from the flight in the middle of a rain storm!

kith

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:06 am

Tells them to run! -Matt in KITH

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:09 am

In SCE, occasionally if it was a heavy downpour, we have a bucket of umbrellas we would lend to passengers that wanted them to walk out to the aircraft. Only a handful of passengers would use them, most would just run.

Snow, nothing, you don't get too wet from being out in the snow for a minute.

ramerinianair

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:22 am

Thanks, but what happens when you have to stand out there and pickup your gate checks. I would imagine that everything would get very wet!
SR

NWAFA

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:25 am

I have been wet in BUR many times in the last month!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

jetBlue

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:32 am

In SBN, we make 'em run. Normally we will wait and have all the gate checks out of the plane before we let them deplane. When we board the flight back up, we have a few umbrellas and will hand them out by request.

The snow isn't as much of a problem because it doesn't drench you. It sure would be nice to use the jetbridge on days like that!

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:41 am

In SJU one time, Caribbean Sun gave us some very nice umbrellas as we exited the terminal building. It's a pitty they took them back at the door when we boarded. I remember here in ANU, passengers on an American Eagle flight were shuttled back and forth in cars and minivans. ANU doesn't have jetways.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

navairjax

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:40 am

I would imagine umbrellas are very common. I had to use one on NH while going the short distance from the shuttle bus up the airstairs at NRT a couple years ago.

FoxBravo

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:52 am

Often they'll have have a basket of umbrellas by the gate--as the pax board, each person can take one, then drop it off with an agent at the door of the plane. When they run out of umbrellas, the agent brings them back to the gate, and the process starts again. Same (in reverse) on arrival.

I've seen this done a few places, most recently (and very efficiently!) by Aeromexico: on arrival at OAX during a rainstorm, and then on departure from SJD during a torrential downpour as Hurricane Marty approached the area. It rains a lot in Mexico in September, so I guess they've had plenty of practice!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

flyingnanook

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:56 am

At FAI, you have to run for the plane. It gets to be a problem when AS is using their one 732 combi that doesn't have the built in airstairs. They use a metal staircase which can get slippery in the snow.

The most hazardous thing about boarding via the stairs at FAI is the constant layer of ice that covers the tarmac. That gets somewhat slippery.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

N1120A

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:02 am

They have buckets of umbrellas at ever door of the UAX remote terminal at LAX. I am betting they have been getting more use than ever lately
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ramerinianair

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:04 pm

Thanks guys! I figured that they would have something a little better than Umbrellas or Running. I saw in ALB a set of stairs that had an overhang which protected passengers for the elements. I figured that maybe they had a portable tarp or overhang that the passengers could move under. I guess that Umbrellas would work - You probably only need something when it is absolutely pouring.
SR

L-188

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:07 pm

Quoting FlyingNanook (reply 10):
At FAI, you have to run for the plane

Pretty much the same in the Aleutians except that it was more of a speed walk....running isn't a good thing on the ramp...makes the safety guys pretty nervous.

Nice think about a 727 though is that at least you are under the tail for a little bit.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.