joeljack

OMA - MCO N/S On WN

Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:04 pm

I was looking at the Southwest route map and noticed they show an OMA to MCO route n/s. After checking the schedule, it appears it will operate on Saturday starting this summer.

Does anyone ( probably WN employees) know if WN uses this as a precursor to determine if daily service is warranted? In addition, is Saturday service announced in a press release or is it just loaded into the system to see how it does?

It seems to me this route would do really well if it was daily and hopefully it will be changed soon. In addition, it seems like SEA and BWI could do pretty good from Omaha too.

DSMav8r

RE: OMA - MCO N/S On WN

Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:00 am

Midwest used to operate seasonal flights on this route...I wonder if WN is just picking up where they left off? This should be a 2-3x daily flight, anyway.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

ScottB

Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:21 am

Quoting DSMav8r (reply 1):
This should be a 2-3x daily flight, anyway.

At 109 passengers per way, each day, at a relatively modest yield (11-12 cents/mile), it justifies a single non-stop with a 737-sized aircraft, not two or three -- and only if you can get more than half of the traffic on the route.

747firstclass

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:10 am

From my experience there have been times when WN has publicly announced Saturday only service and other times they have not, it just appears in the schedule like BWI-SEA did for awhile last summer.

It is my belief that WN often does gauge the market with testing Sat. only service, but I am not sure all Sat. only service is being tested for daily service.

There have been rumors that BWI-OMA service will happen. Strong rumors in fact according to some sources in OMA. My guess is that it will probably happen
when the new BWI concourse opens later this year. My sources in OMA tell me not to rule out possibly a OMA-ABQ flight at some point in time. I find that hard to believe but there apparently is a fair amount ot pax on that route daily using Frontier who travel the route via DEN.