juventus

Iberia Wants To Buy Mexicana.

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:04 am

Airwise.com has reported that Spain's Iberia wants to buy Mexicana and its subsidiary Aerocaribe. Iberia is interested, but at the moment there are no talks taking place. (my opinion- biggest winners, Mexicana and Iberia, biggest loser, Aeromexico)

anxebla

RE: Iberia Wants To Buy Mexicana.

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:39 am

Quoting Juventus (reply 0):
(my opinion- biggest winners, Mexicana and Iberia, biggest loser, Aeromexico)

Why do you think such thing?????  Confused
Please, give reasons!
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

Richard28

Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:03 pm

Interesting from a BA perspective.

When Qantas issued more shares a year or so ago, BA did not want to exercise their option to buy, and subsequently had a smaller stake in the company, which they subsequently sold.

If IB wants to make a purchase, I can't help but wonder if BA will refuse to put up the cash, and follow that same Qantas pattern, with a smaller share holding, and subsequent sale.

BA's current objective is repaying debt rather than expansion - will be interesting to see what happens.

N405MX

Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:04 pm

Actually if IB want´s to buy MX-QA, they´ll only be able to buy the 25% of both carriers, because that´s a lock that MEX goberment put to the sale of the airlines, that no foreign can own more than that.

Also, there are other names in this, like Azcárraga-Slim, that are the potential buyers of MX-QA

Let´s see.

Logan
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

RayChuang

Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:11 pm

If IB does get a 25% stake in MX that's actually a smart move given that MX is already flying a substantial fleet of Airbus planes, just like IB is now.

Maybe this might be the thing for MX to consider buying A330-200's for high-capacity/higher-frequency flights from MEX to LAX, IAH, MIA, and JFK?

AM773

Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:56 pm

Spain's Iberia wants to buy Mexicana and its subsidiary Aerocaribe

Could IB afford buying and keeping the standards of an airline as MX?

biggest winners, Mexicana and Iberia, biggest loser, Aeromexico

In what aspect(s)?

Quoting N405MX (reply 3):
Also, there are other names in this, like Azcárraga-Slim, that are the potential buyers of MX-QA

The Vázquez Raña group was interested in buying some important part of MX or AM. RF: This group owns the most important private hospital system in Mexico: The Grupo Ángeles, comprising hospitals of first level in Mexico, and the Camino Real Hotels.

Quoting RayChuang (reply 4):
Maybe this might be the thing for MX to consider buying A330-200's for high-capacity/higher-frequency flights from MEX to LAX, IAH, MIA, and JFK?

Flying the A330 to routes as MEX-LAX and MEX-ORD would be unprofitable. MX does not fly to IAH and their flights to JFK have low LF's, even with their 319's. MX is considering the A330/340 for flights to Asia.

Regards,

AM773

bullpitt

Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:11 pm

IB has announced two more code share destinations with mexicana and an agreement regarding FF points. Looks like IB and MX are going to be more and more connected. Will MX become a OW partner?.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

bartond

Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:26 pm

This has been a big question of mine for a while now - what is Mexicana doing? I hear that they are coming to DFW (my hometown airport) but then they seem to delay it, now they are supposedly a target for an IB buyout (I didn't realize IB had that much money/profits to buy another airline). So what's goin on with MX? A good airline from what I hear, but what's their next step? Join an alliance like Star or Oneworld or just continue to codeshare and hang on?

juventus

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:31 pm

Biggest winners Mexicana and Iberia, biggest loser Aeromexico, Why?
Mexicana has always done better than Aeromexico. They are more aggressive, and provide a better service. Now you add Iberia to the mix, this means more money and more ideas. Possibly widebody aircraft.
The US airlines continue to expand in Mexico, mounting the competition and increasing the pressure, specially AA and CO. Where does all this leave Aeromexico?

juventus

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:56 pm

One more point to make.
Most people think that Aeromexico and Mexicana are each-other's biggest competition. I think AM and MX's biggest competition are American and Continental. IB/MX will give AA and CO more than they could handle. Like I said, we all have our own opinion.

EddieDude

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:51 am

A thread opened about a day earlier already discusses this issue. You can see it at http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/1976352/
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

N405MX

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting AM773 (reply 5):
The Vázquez Raña group was interested in buying some important part of MX or AM

There are rumors that Vázquez Raña is interested in AM, and Slim-Azcárraga with MX-QA, even so, Slim owns a important part of MX, also he have a lot of investments in MX (MX-Telcel/Sanborns/Telmex/etc).

About the fleet, the A330 will be used mainly to south america (EZE, and maybe other new destinations) and the A340 to Asia  Big thumbs up

JFK is getting very low loads, about 50-60 passengers, that´s why is operated in the A319, so it can make money, ORD could be on a bigger plane, for a higher load in peak season, but not ORD-MEX, could be ORD-BJX/MLM, those are really high loads  Wow!

Quoting AM773 (reply 5):
Could IB afford buying and keeping the standards of an airline as MX?

Could keep the standars, but not sure they can buy it, but they can get the 25% that the goverment permit to sale to foreings.

Logan

AM001

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:52 am

Quoting N405MX (reply 11):
they can get the 25% that the goverment permit to sale to foreings.

Will a foreing investor accept this? I think maybe as a preparation for lobbiyng a legislation reform that could allow them to increase their shares... otherwise it would be giving money to be used and controled by other hands

Could keep the standars

Yeah, but would they??? I think they'd like to introduce their own service standards... the thought of seeing MX's great service turning into a sort of Mexican IB (with all due respect) gives me the creeps!  Insane

How about the code-share with AM? Is it doomed to end as soon as each has new owners??? I think they should keep it, at least in some form...

Rgds...

AM001
"Je vole car cela libere mon esprit de la tyrannie des choses insignifiantes" - St. Exupery

sr117

Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:33 am

I highly doubt that the big loser would be AMX if IB decided to get it's stake in MX.

First, regarding the issue of whether AM or MX is more aggressive or better, well that's a -highly- subjective issue. But the cold hard truth is that both airlines are pretty much even.

So, we have 2 good airlines with potential going up for sale. If IB is looking into MX, I doubt that their main competitor on the latin american market, AF/KL would just sit back la dee da-ing while IB made more inroads into the market. They'd certainly want to even out the playing field and have their own partner in the battle.

Ricardo

AM773

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:46 am

Quoting Juventus (reply 8):
Mexicana has always done better than Aeromexico. They are more aggressive, and provide a better service.

Hmmmm, I don't think so Juventus, AM is the biggest airline in Mexico, while MX only has the most important international presence than any other mexican airline.
Considering that MX's service is exceptional, much superior to any northern or eastern airline, AM's service is muuuch better. They offer a business-first class product while MX offer only a business one. MX's A318/19/20's are newer than AM's MD82/83/87's, but the MD88's and 73G's are much better than any MX A320.
In plenty of domestic and some international routes, AM is much more agressive than MX. They offer flights to several destinies even from MX's second hub: GDL, while MX has a very small participation in MTY.

Quoting AM001 (reply 12):
the thought of seeing MX's great service turning into a sort of Mexican IB (with all due respect) gives me the creeps!

Yeah!!!, me too, MX is great because of their service and more personalized attention. I can't imagine a MEX-LAX flight without some chilaquiles and nice f/a's!!!

Regards,

AM773

juventus

Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:05 am

Just a matter of opinion. I like Mexicana better than Aeromexico, and I think the Iberia purchase, if it takes place, would be a good thing for MX.

FLYFAR

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:05 am

Ohhh no IB buying Mexicana.... remember VIASA and AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS!!!!

viasamsy

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:48 am

FLYFAR
You got it right. IB took over Viasa and Aerolineas Argentinas. Viasa went bankrupt as Iberia took over its routes and downgraded its fleet even morethan it was. Aerolineas is still recovering. Mexicana would be the biggest loser on this deal....as you said it: Ohhh NO!!!!
Rebuild New Orleans!!!

anxebla

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:35 am

>""Viasa went bankrupt as Iberia took over its routes and downgraded its fleet even morethan it was""<

That's statement is entirely false! Don't continue on that way because I wish keeping my calm.

The biggest loser MUST be that stupid, unreal (because it's false and unreal) and anti-Spain point of view. I know perfectly what the problem of SouthAmerica is, and why sometimes there's a stupid anti-Spain feeling. My country is NOT culprit of the South America's economy current condition. IF there's corruption on South America... it's a South American problem, and NOT a Spanish problem. Spain is a great country, and it is not a scapegoat.

PDPsol

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:35 am

Quoting ViasaMSY (reply 17):
IB took over Viasa and Aerolineas Argentinas. Viasa went bankrupt as Iberia took over its routes and downgraded its fleet even morethan it was. Aerolineas is still recovering. Mexicana would be the biggest loser on this deal....as you said it: Ohhh NO!!!!

There's one very, very important caveat to your statement: IB acquired AR and VA in the 90's while it was a government-owned enterprise [remember INI?]. IB was in a DISASTROUS state back then and was completely clueless in managing both carriers.

IB has been entirely privatized since then and bears absolutely no resemblance to the cash-burning entity it was a decade ago. Even in the current dreadful commercial environment [fuel, LLC's, etc.], IB realizes substantial earnings and significant operational cash flows quarter after quarter, has managed to de-lever its balance sheet and holds over EUR 1.5 billion in cash.

IB's equity market capitalization is EUR 2,500 million, or USD 3,250 million, exceeding the COMBINED market capitalization of AA, DL and CO. Of course, analyzing the carriers' respective Firm Values [Equity market value + gross debt - cash = FV] would reveal their total enterprise size as well as AA/DL/CO's outrageous debt levels!

The true measure of IB's value-creation has been its stock performance, appreciating over 100% in the past two years in EUR and over 126% in USD terms. IB's management is first-rate and does not make strategic decisions without carefully considering all viable alternatives and expected investment returns.

While IB's experience with AR, VA [as well as UC] were indeed disastrous, these investment decisions were politically-influenced and not executed by the Company's current management team.

anxebla

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:47 am

Quoting Pdpsol (reply 19):
IB was in a DISASTROUS state back then and was completely clueless in managing both carriers.

Not so disastrous, my dear friend Pdpsol. Sometimes things are not so simple like it seems. On the VA's case the Venezuelan Govt. was the main responsible (irresponsible on that case) for the Viasa failure.-
On the AR matter... is a very complex, but it's not true IB was "an evil spirit" like sometimes I read on Argentinian newspapers.

N1120A

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 am

Quoting Anxebla (reply 1):
Please, give reasons!

Please don't use exclamation points. They really are not considered a good writing technique

Quoting RayChuang (reply 4):

The A330 would be a horrible plane for those routes. They are way too heavy and there are plenty of other planes that are much better suited to the routes. A330s or A340s would be for long hauls, not trans-border routes.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

luisde8cd

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:19 am

Hmm this brings back old memories to me... just hope MX stays as it is right now.

anxebla

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting N1120A (reply 21):
Please don't use exclamation points. They really are not considered a good writing technique
 Laugh out loud Thanks for your advice, N1120A

The A330 would be a horrible plane for those routes. They are way too heavy and there are plenty of other planes that are much better suited to the routes. A330s or A340s would be for long hauls, not trans-border routes.

**presents Most Idiotic Statement in Thread award to this post**  Laugh out loud(copyright, Concordeboy 2005)
What about the Japanese Domestic routes??? Remember the 747-D (domestic)

PDPsol

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:33 am

Anxelba,

I agree with your comments regarding political involvement in the demise of VA and would add AR was owned directly by Spain via SEPLA following IB's restructuring and privatization in 2000, not IB. Nonetheless, while AR's collapse occured in the midst of Argentina's worst economic crisis in history, the seeds of its downfall were well in place before 2001.

On the other hand, it should be noted AR has performed admirably in the hands of Grupo Marsans, realizing a spectacular turnaround over past three years. And, as everyone knows, Marsans is indeed a Spanish concern; allaying any [completely unfounded] conspiracy fears certain fellow a.net members hold against Spain and Spanish investors.

Now, concerning the financial state of IB itself during the 90's, before its restructuring and privatization process was initiated in 1998, one could only describe the carrier's performance as, well, dreadful...

IB was not a viable commercial enterprise when it was government-owned in the 90's. The company did not generate consistent operational cash flows, was riddled inefficiencies, was governed by political criteria and relied on direct and indirect state handouts to survive.

As I stated in my earlier post, IB has performed EXCEEDINGLY well since 1998 generating consistent cash flows, earnings, expanding its strategic market position in the Europe-LatAm market, fighting off LCC's in its home market and creating a rock-solid balance sheet capable of absorbing sizable corporate acquisitions [such as MX] should the opportunity arise.

anxebla

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:48 am

Pdpsol ...congratulations! A real high-quality post  Smile
Luis ...about Viasa subject, IB was not an offender, but it was your government. They refused to put money on order to save Viasa (that 40% pre-agreed on talks with the SEPI) Don't forget it!

airgeek12

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:30 pm

Airwise.com has reported that Spain's Iberia wants to buy Mexicana and its subsidiary Aerocaribe. Iberia is interested, but at the moment there are no talks taking place. (my opinion- biggest winners, Mexicana and Iberia, biggest loser, Aeromexico)

Key word here = wants.

toxtethogrady

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:37 pm

"This has been a big question of mine for a while now - what is Mexicana doing? I hear that they are coming to DFW (my hometown airport) but then they seem to delay it,"

Mexicana won't come to DFW unless Aeromexico pulls out. The two carriers have divvied up networks, and that probably won't be affected by the carrier sale. The Iberia purchase will simply cement Mexicana's relationship to OneWorld.

The Mexico-US bilateral is still under negotiation. It may open some other opportunities for Mexican and US carriers.

N405MX

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Quoting AM773 (reply 14):
but the MD88's and 73G's are much better than any MX A320.

That´s why MX is evaluating the possibility of change some of the older A320´s for some new ones (starting with the 12 leased by mexibus)  Big thumbs up , also, MX still has to receive 12 A320´s

The A319´s and A318´s are brand new Big grin no complain there Big grin
Quoting AM773 (reply 14):
AM is much more aggressive than MX.

Right..... that´s when cintra ruled (actually they still take the decisions), now things are changing, MX is getting a new frequency to MTY, and opening some other routes, some movements are while the restructuring process takes until the sale of the airline.
The A330 would be a horrible plane for those routes.

Agree; for LAX, MIA, IAH, etc; that´s why the A330 will be used to south america or (if MX gets permission) to Europe with some charter flights or revenue flights  Big grin

SFOMEX

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:11 pm

Quoting AM001 (reply 12):
they can get the 25% that the goverment permit to sale to foreings.

Will a foreing investor accept this? I think maybe as a preparation for lobbiyng a legislation reform that could allow them to increase their shares... otherwise it would be giving money to be used and controled by other hands

The current law won't change, period. Under the current Congress composition, the chances of a legislation reform that would allow a bigger foreign participation in a Mexican airline are close to zero. Could you imagine Sen. Bartlet supporting an initiative like this? That idiot and many others like him would kill any new legislation, especially if it's sent by President Fox.

I don't see IB or any other international airline investing in MX or AM. It's way too risky and the current legislation doesn't help.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

AM773

Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:16 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 18):
Spain is a great country, and it is not a scapegoat.

Andres:
We're not saying that Spain is not a great country... it is indeed a great and beautiful nation, of course, Mexico is much better in every aspect Big grin, but its not a competition between them.

The thing here, is that IB in my opinion could not keep MX's standards, and would make Mexicana just another LatinAmerican airline, instead of the great airline now it is.
We're talking about two very different markets, nowadays in Europe, you won't find an airline offering a service as MX, or those spaces inside the cabins.

MX, and excuse me for this, but is too much for IB, even the last one, being one of the biggest and most important airlines in Europe. We don't want another Aerolineas in Mexico!!! As I said, NO OFFENCE.

By the way, I'm not anti-Spain, your capital is one of the most beatiful cities worldwide.

Regards,

AM773

juventus

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:32 pm

Guys, countries have nothing to do with this. Let's live politics out, and talk about what we know, AIRLINERS.

navega

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:24 am

Mexicana will be in DFW by July2005. They will also be
in Milwaukee, Fresno and Bakersfield this year.

If possible, aircraft in mind here, they will also fly to Detroit, Charlotte, St. Louis, Kansas City and Seattle.

In 2006 there are plans for additional cities like, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Louisville, Cincinnati
and more to come.

Orion737

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:33 am

I hope IB dosent get hold of Mexicana for Mexicanas passengers sake! If they do expect MX passengers to the States to have to pay for a cuppa coffee or a soft drink and an end to any snack/meals.

IB believes in no-frills on flights under 4 hours!

EddieDude

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:45 am

Hi NAVEGA, wow those are really ambitious and aggressive expansion plans! DFW is of course an airport they need to serve. I think that flights to DFW from MEX, CUN, GDL and maybe MLM, MTY and BJX would work fantastically. As for Milwaukee, I am not so sure about MX's success. ORD is very close to the Milwaukee metro area, so I don't know. FAT (already announced) and Bakersfield clearly show MX is going after ethnic travelers and I hope MX is able to achieve good loads and yields.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

ghost77

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:51 am

AFAIK, DFW is a big priority for the airline (the only thing that is currently stopping all the plans are the lack of aircraft, specially the A318s which they still miss 4 for delivery) but according to info I got DFW will be on MX's map route by JUN06 (before the summer in order to give a little more promotion to MX's flights by the date).

And a lot more projects in mind!

Ricardo APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

anxebla

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:34 am

Quoting AM773 (reply 30):
The thing here, is that IB in my opinion could not keep MX's standards

Why not??? Don't mix service standards and a cuasi-total control of MX by IB Big grin

We don't want another Aerolineas in Mexico!!!

Time after time, I'm saying AR subject is on the past. IB currently is very very different from that one. Read again the Pdpsol's posts. I agree with him.

By the way, I'm not anti-Spain, your capital is one of the most beatiful cities worldwide.

This is true  Wink

AM773

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 am

Quoting Anxebla (reply 36):
Time after time, I'm saying AR subject is on the past. IB currently is very very different from that one. Read again the Pdpsol's posts. I agree with him.

I totally agree with you... I'm sure IB is very different from what it was when the AR's problem, i mean, remember AM with AeroPeru!!!, the thing here, is that even if IB is a new company, it, in my opinion couldn't keep MX as now it is... I mean, there's not a big difference between the size of both companies... so it would be a mess... and it could even affect IB.

About Madrid... yes beautiful city... Its almost comparable to Mexico City... mmm, well, maybe not that much Big grin.

Regards,

AM773

anxebla

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:02 pm

Quoting AM773 (reply 37):
I mean, there's not a big difference between the size of both companies

Are you totally sure about it??  Silly

ghost77

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 38):
Are you totally sure about it??

In terms of fleet IB has around 100 aircraft. MX has 70.

How many pax were carried by IB in 2004?

Ricardo APM

AM773

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:10 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 38):
Are you totally sure about it??

Yes!!!, I'm sure about it... in any term, except maybe for destinations served, and intercontinental service, MX is just a bit smaller than IB. (And you should consider that MX is Mexico's second largest airline, and IB is Spain's number one)

anxebla

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:10 pm

Ricardo: revisa tus cifras. Just about the A320 fleet IB has more than 60 aircraft!

AM773

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:19 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 41):
Just about the A320 fleet IB has more than 60 aircraft!

And MX after the last 318's arrive a fleet around 50 or more with the 321's.

ghost77

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:28 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 41):
Ricardo: revisa tus cifras. Just about the A320 fleet IB has more than 60 aircraft!

True forgot the Mad Dog fleet!

IB's fleet:

76 - A320
38 - MD80s
25 - A340
12 - B752
06 - B747

Total: 157.

IB has 2000 pilots, MX/QA has 1000 pilots.

IB doubles the size of MX. But as AM773 it's Spain's 1st vs. Mexico's 2nd.

It would be nice to compare the total pax carried in 2004 to see how far we are from the number! Can anyone help on that?

Ricardo APM

anxebla

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:29 pm

Iberia has, only with the A320 family, 76 aircraft. And more are arriving. Saying MX is a "bit" smaller than IB is not true, and a "bit" stupid.

anxebla

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting Ghost77 (reply 43):
It would be nice to compare the total pax carried in 2004 to see how far we are from the number! Can anyone help on that?

IB= 26.692.000 PAX during 2004. I don't know about MX.

AM773

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 44):
Iberia has, only with the A320 family, 76 aircraft. And more are arriving. Saying MX is a "bit" smaller than IB is not true, and a "bit" stupid.

Well well well, even if its not (and I'm pretty sure it is), MX is too much for IB, in terms of keeping the standards as I've posted above ten times.

ghost77

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:56 pm

Quoting Anxebla (reply 45):
IB= 26.692.000 PAX during 2004. I don't know about MX.

Thank you very much for the number! MX/QA carried only 9M during 04. But I must say that buying a company as the size of MX it would be very risky for IB! AR and Viasa were very small and still AR is very small compared to MX.

As for the topic. MX won't be sold to IB. MX will stay with mexicans. A few years ago a mex rich man paid MX's debt in return he stayed with the 40% of the company and more recently he invested 100M usd in the airline.

Ricardo APM

Xkorpyoh

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:02 am

I agree that MX is an excellent airline, as much as AM is. I have not complaints with Iberia either, but i think the merge wouldn't be bad for the flying public. What bothers me the most about the Mexican duopoly is the absurdly high fares for domestic flights and even intl. Soon Mexico will have to comfront the LCC facts and i believe IB is more prepare to deal with it and stay afloat. MX is working closely with AA and IB, so it just makes sense (OneWorld). The service might decline a bit, but there will be more benefits for the passengers in the long term(lower fares, more miles)

N405MX

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:55 am

There was a rumor time ago about MX joining OneWorld, it makes sense, the codeshares with IB, AM, and some contacts with CX, but nothing yet (at least on short or medium term).

It´s a good idea that IB takes over MX, but can they stay with that, like somebody said before AM/Aeroperú, and time ago IB/AR.