Gnomon
Topic Author

Delta's New Interiors

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:29 am

The forum has been silent lately on the progress of installation of Delta's new interiors. Any updates?

1MillionFlyer

RE: Delta's New Interiors

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:34 am

I was on a new interior MD-80 BNA-ATL a few weeks ago, I like it!
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

Scott4AA

Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:18 am

Does anyone know how fast they are changing the interiors?
American Airlines - We Know Why You Fly

rwsea

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:12 am

One thing I've been wondering about the new DL MD-80 interiors is if they will be using the same ones for the whole fleet. One would think so, considering cost, however:

1) The 764, 777, and 738 all have more advanced seats in F and Y, including adjustable headrests. Do you think they will take these out on the other planes when the new interiors are installed?

2) Does anyone think additional upgrades will be made to the 763-ER fleet? Given DL's pledge to improve the cabin services and become more upscale, does one think that things like PTVs and adjustable headrests would be added to the international fleet?

I'm wondering if the MD-80s are being rolled out first as they are mainly for shorter haul flights, while other seats with more features are being planned for longer-haul planes like the 757, 767, 777, and 738? The new seats would be a big step down from what is currently available on those planes ...

Nevertheless, I'm happy to see the changes - new interiors are really needed. I'm flying on some MD-80s this summer so I'm hoping to get the new interior at least once or twice ... seems like they're popular with passengers ...

GSPSPOT

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:16 am

From what I saw a while back, the "new seats" appear to my unexperienced eye to be nothing more than featureless seat covers. Like you said, the 764, 777 and 738 already have better seats, even than these "new" ones. What about changing out the dated, '80's style overhead bins with more up-to-date hardware??
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

Delta4eva

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:51 am

I have flown on 2 MD-88s with the new interior. The look of the seats are not a huge improvement over the old ones, however are much more comfortable. I flew in coach on one flight and first on another. I sat down in first and was amazed at how comfortable the seats were. The Y seats could use a little more padding on the lower back. Overall, much better!

I also have wondered about what they will do with the newer 764/738 seats and the 763/757/733 seats. I'd imagine that they wouldn't remove the headrests on the 764/738 seats. I hope they will have the headrests and the leather seats.

Does anyone know if or when they will replace the international F and Y seats? I think I remember hearing something about that a while back.
FLY DELTA JETS

Crosswind

Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:46 am

As you said GSPSPOT, Delta isn't introducing new seats, but new seat covers.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Darrin Glenday

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Cederholm

Even in First class, while new seat cusions are being used with the new covers, it's still the same basic seat.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Darrin Glenday

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Cederholm

Delta isn't an airline that has money to spend on new seats, but since cloth seat covers are replaced preiodically in any case as they require cleaning/repair, there is little additional expense for Delta to introduce leather interiors. That said, the seats on the MD-88 are dated when compared to those used on Delta's more recent deliveries.

Regards
CROSSWIND

WDBRR

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:51 am

I think SONG's interior needs to be changed, it's a flying circus.
Lime green, orange and purple seats accents with blue.
I think the outside is ugly too with white and lime green line that
reminds me of sperm....very tacky overall. wished I flew Jetblue.
reminds me of Braniff and their flying colors.

tinpusher007

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:52 am

Personally, I think the seats are pretty damn ugly! They look cheap. Very tacky IMHO. I think the ones they replaced looked a lot better. DL has always seemed to drop the ball when it comes to their image, ie paint scheme, interiors, IFE, premium product. Overall, the marketing team leaves MUCH to be desired.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

alb222

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:53 am

Quoting WDBRR (reply 7):
think SONG's interior needs to be changed, it's a flying circus.

So, what is stopping you from flying B6?

skibum9

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:40 am

I've been on two MD-88s with the new interior. There are an improvement, but nothing special. Surprisingly, I have also been on an MD-90 with the new interior. I thought they were starting with the 88s only.
Tailwinds!!!

lvkewlkid

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:56 am

I like Song's livery and interior.

tommy767

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:59 am

From the looks, the new interiors look 100 times better than the current interior drab. Delta desperately needs those new seat covers on the 757s and the aging transatlantic 767s
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:05 am

The new interiors are only being applied to the domestic fleet at this time. An International fleet interior update and product enhancement is in the works.

[Edited 2005-02-27 03:15:12]

SongStar

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting WDBRR (reply 7):

More often than not....we get very positive feed back on the colors...so you would be a minority...just goes to show...you can't please all the people all time...

the colors make me smile actually...

Smile

ss

flysong.com

ps...this is a "new delta interior" thread isn't it????????? i think it is  Smile

ThePinnacleKid

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:15 pm

Is DL the only US operator of MD-80 series acft with a 3-2 coach arrangement as opposed to the others 2-3...???
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

Boeing73G

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:19 pm

AS also does a 3-2 coach arrangement.

syncmaster

Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Quoting WDBRR (reply 7):

There is absolutely, 100%, no possible way to please everyone. Any airline, at the best, will probably only please about 70% of their customers. If you don't like it, fly another airline. Period.

September11

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:01 pm

I see new leather seat covers in two pictures above. I think they look nice.
Airliners.net of the Future

N839MH

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:15 pm

The renovation of the interior along with some other changes cost about $350,00 for an MD88/90. Work is being done in GDL
Solodude!

Alitalia744

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:32 pm

the new interiors are about more than just putting new seat covers. while new, more comfortable seats would be great, people need to undertand Delta isn't in a financial position to completely redo their aircraft. therefore, they are trying their best.

the new interiors provide a nice modern update, lighter colors and better lighting...

i personally like them and applaud Delta for trying to do what they can to make our travel experiences better.

can't please everyone...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

brons2

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting RwSEA (reply 3):
2) Does anyone think additional upgrades will be made to the 763-ER fleet? Given DL's pledge to improve the cabin services and become more upscale, does one think that things like PTVs and adjustable headrests would be added to the international fleet?

Quoting Tommy767 (reply 12):
Delta desperately needs those new seat covers on the 757s and the aging transatlantic 767s

Delta needs to so something with their transatlantic 763ER. I avoid them like the plague. I even prefer NW's Diesel 10's to them.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

boeingatl

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:29 pm

Hate to say, but IMHO, the updates on the MD-80 looks cheap and very generic. I can't tell any difference in comfort in either class, but the lighting is better and the repainted overhead panels are cleaner and brighter as well. What's with the parquet flooring in the lav? I saw it in first, is it in the back as well? What a waste money to make zero improvement. Unfortunately DL will never be a fashion leader. Their BizFirst class really needs updating; it's threadbare and looks worn. The 767's have really had a workout. Yet. . . . DL is still my airline of choice for schedule and convenience.
boeingATL

MSYtristar

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:40 pm

I've flown on an MD-88 and an MD-90 with the new interiors. I like them a lot. Pretty comfortable.

The 757 fleet and many domestic 767's need the new seats a.s.a.p in my opinion.

wukka

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:08 pm

Quoting Brons2 (reply 21):
Delta needs to so something with their transatlantic 763ER. I avoid them like the plague.

Amen, my friend! I said that once and was beaten like the proverbial "red-headed stepchild".  Smile I love the convenience of DL nationally, but internationally, I'll choose to go elsewhere. I'll take an extra couple of hours on a 7+ across the pond in a layover for something that will at least give me some PTV and a bit of recline.

Again, there's no big dig on DL, and they've been my life as far as the majority of my air travel has been concerned... I'm just not very happy with the transcon product.
We can agree to disagree.

Dalmd88

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:37 pm

The MD88 mod lines are on hold right now. The HMV lines are still installing the full mod on overhaul though and I think the MD90 fleet was done while the cabin insulation AD mod was accomplished in GDL. The two partial mod lines we had running were suspened to use the personel in other areas. It seems less AMTs came from the DFW hangar than expected. So we were caught a little short on manpower. Word is the mods will start back up in April or May. Of course the next Song mods are going to be started somewhere around there also I think.

The first 757 mod will be started soon. It should be out near the beginning of April.

panamair

Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:26 pm

Been on the new '88s and it is a lot brighter and 'cleaner' looking with the new design. Plus, another great improvement is the new signage for seat numbers on the overhead bins. They are much larger and clearer so pax. can find their seats faster, thus expediting the boarding process and an on-time departure...

ramerinianair

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am

The aircraft that really need an update are the 763ERs. They use these on some long hauls and they only offer large screens at the front of the cabins. It is surely an inferior product and I would rather fly on a pertner airline to Europe rather than DL because of it.
-SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

B4REAL

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:11 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (reply 27):
The aircraft that really need an update are the 763ERs. They use these on some long hauls and they only offer large screens at the front of the cabins. It is surely an inferior product

As a blood deep loyal DL flier, I agree with you RamerinianAir. The 763I config in Y is flushable. I don't know if I go for a Diesel10...

I feel it is unclear if the new interior will be taken to other aircraft. The press release refers only to the MD-88, but I can only assume that they will do this to all aircraft 'if they can'. This still doesn't address the PTV topic.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

N766UA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:26 am

What's with DL's MD80s? They've got the 3X2 backwards from everyone else. The just feel like being different?
This Website Censors Me

Alitalia744

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting N766UA (reply 29):
What's with DL's MD80s? They've got the 3X2 backwards from everyone else. The just feel like being different?

no. having the aircraft seat 3x2 (vs. 2x3) allows for a larger galley in the back of the aircraft. while useless now (as all they serve are pretzels and drinks), it allowed for better cabin crew use of galleys on flights where meals were onced served. there is some method to the madness...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

B4REAL

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:46 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (reply 30):
having the aircraft seat 3x2 (vs. 2x3) allows for a larger galley in the back of the aircraft. while useless no

Not entirely useless... DL uses the MD-88 on select longer range flights, like CVG-PHX, ATL-DEN, and the returns - where they do food for sale. While the food for sale programs are cold items, they do require cart space as would what used to be standard airline food service.

I know that the MD-90s are equipped in the reverse fasion (2x3) looking aft, but I don 't know if that opens allows the galley config in a similar way as the 88s. But there are a large # of MD-90 flights with food for sale.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos