thomasphoto60

Way To Go, CO

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Found this story in today's Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3058505

Just another reason (one of many) why I prefer CO!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

sunking737

RE: Way To Go, CO

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:42 pm

Thanks Thomasphoto60, I work in Catering at SY and it is nice to see stories like these. We at SY also do not charge for food and the fact we have food is bringing people to SY beside our low fares.

We also have our own kitchen. Used to have one in LAS. Maybe some day we can open another one again.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

b727fan

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:49 pm

Comparatively, CO's in flight service is better than other carriers. And no, that has nothing to do with EWR being my hometown airport and CO my preferred carrier!

co7772wuh

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:05 am

I have no complaints about CO . There service and food is great , as well as there fleet , which I believe is the newest for US carriers .

After reading that article , I feel CO's future looks very good and can't wait to see CO's new 787s .

Dave

N62NA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:32 am

The article caused me to think back to the pre-deregulation days when all the airlines charged the same fares on a particular route and it was the inflight amenities (i.e. meals, cabin comforts, F/A friendliness, etc.) that were used to lure travellers from airline A to airline B.

Cactus739

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:34 am

I applaud Continental for still serving "meals" at mealtimes when everyone else is offering buy on board. However... last month I flew CO1235 from EWR-PHX, a 5 hour 15 minute flight that left EWR at 1205pm. Our meal was a snack sized hot sandwhich of turkey pastrami and cheese. (what the heck is turkey pastrami anyway?), a mini bag of Lays potato chips and a bag of about 10-12 or so baby carrots. That's not a meal, its a snack. My two row-mates commented on this as well.

I'm not complaining. I know that because of myself and people like me that want rock bottom fares, services have to be cut. (I only paid $254 for R/t PHX-EWR-RDU-EWR-PHX one week before deparutre). However I'm curious if given the choice between the snack that we got and a buy on board meal for $8 or so, how many people would choose each?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

N62NA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 am

Quoting Cactus739 (reply 5):
However I'm curious if given the choice between the snack that we got and a buy on board meal for $8 or so, how many people would choose each?

You know, I posted on this very topic within the past few months, but I can't get it to come up in the search.

Anyway, best I can remember, somebody suggested that at the time your book your ticket, you get to also choose what "amenities" you would like on your flight, i.e. "Would you like a hot meal? Add $10 to ticket price", and "If you ordered a meal, please choose from the following..." etc., much like when you order a computer online from Dell where you get to customize your computer (or in this case, your inflight experience).

Damn, I wish I could get the search to work properly --- it was a great topic with lots of good opinions and ideas.  Angry

ual777contrail

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting Co7772wuh (reply 3):
I have no complaints about CO . There service and food is great , as well as there fleet , which I believe is the newest for US carriers .

Age of fleets among the majors.

AA 12.2YRS
CO 7.6YRS
DL 12.6YRS
HP 10.8YRS
NW 10.3YRS
UA 10.6YRS
US 10.9YRS
WN 9.0YRS

So yes, you are right.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

AA7573E

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:37 am

I like the fact that CO and the media try to convince pax that the food served on CO is free, when in fact it is included in the cost of your ticket, and as such is far from free. It would be interesting to see a break out of the food component in CO's fare structure, and compare that to the buy on board products offered.

Prediction from a business view point...this won't last. CO simply can't afford to distinguish themselves in this fashion. It would be financially wise to go to buy on borad for short to medium hauls flights, and leave the full service meal product on long haul and transcon, which would set them firmly apart from the remainder of the majors, while still saving them money in the process. This won't last, no airline will run themselves into the ground so that you can have a meal on your flight.
See you up front!

STT757

Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting AA7573E (reply 8):
Prediction from a business view point...this won't last. CO simply can't afford to distinguish themselves in this fashion.

CO distinguishes themselves from the other major US carriers through their ownership of their own Catering company (Chelsea), they can offer meals on their flights for a fraction of what the other carriers can which makes the loss of on board sales vs "free" offerings of meals miniscule.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

OttoPylit

Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:51 am

It's good to see that someone is still serving meals on flights.

I think that it should be an option when you buy your ticket. Whether on a website or through a call to reservations, provide an option, an extra $5 if you prefer a meal or not on the flight. When you check in, your boarding card will print off as "meal provided" or "NO meal provided." Only serve the meals to those who paid for them. Change of mind before flying, you can still make a change within 24 hrs of departure, otherwise you will just have to carry your food on.

Anybody agree?
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

AeroWesty

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:07 am

Quoting N62NA (reply 6):
You know, I posted on this very topic within the past few months, but I can't get it to come up in the search. Damn, I wish I could get the search to work properly --- it was a great topic with lots of good opinions and ideas.

Was it this one?

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eral_aviation/read.main/1894969/4/
International Homo of Mystery

N1120A

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting Ual777contrail (reply 7):
Age of fleets among the majors.

AA 12.2YRS
CO 7.6YRS
DL 12.6YRS
HP 10.8YRS
NW 10.3YRS
UA 10.6YRS
US 10.9YRS
WN 9.0YRS

You left the two newest majors, B6 and FL, both of which have younger fleets.

CO has made some excelent decisions, which includes hanging on to their own catering arm as opposed to selling it off like AA did with Sky Chefs. This allows them to add service while keeping costs under control
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

N62NA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 am

Yes, you found it AeroWesty. Thanks so much for including it here!  Smile

ramprat74

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 am

UA should of never sold its kitchens. UA had about 17 at one time. I heard UA still owns the buildings. I don't know if this true or not.

N62NA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:53 am

Yeah, they had 1 here in MIA but it closed about 2 years ago I believe. Have a friend who used to work there.

7H4Guy

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting N1120A (reply 12):

I find it hard to call either of these "Majors"

Robert

mav75

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting N62NA (reply 6):
Anyway, best I can remember, somebody suggested that at the time your book your ticket, you get to also choose what "amenities" you would like on your flight, i.e. "Would you like a hot meal? Add $10 to ticket price", and "If you ordered a meal, please choose from the following..." etc., much like when you order a computer online from Dell where you get to customize your computer (or in this case, your inflight experience).

This idea is flawed. Instead of reducing costs for the airline, it would only increase them because someone is going to have to track each individual selection. And if catering somehow doesn't get the passenger's meal right, then what? The airline just charged someone for something they either didn't want, or never got in the first place.

Quoting Cactus739 (reply 5):
I applaud Continental for still serving "meals" at mealtimes when everyone else is offering buy on board. However... last month I flew CO1235 from EWR-PHX, a 5 hour 15 minute flight that left EWR at 1205pm. Our meal was a snack sized hot sandwhich of turkey pastrami and cheese. (what the heck is turkey pastrami anyway?), a mini bag of Lays potato chips and a bag of about 10-12 or so baby carrots. That's not a meal, its a snack. My two row-mates commented on this as well.

First of all, it's a lot better than having to pay $10 for the same stuff you'd get on other airlines. Second of all, if you thought you were misled about your "meal", this is listed specifically as a snack service when you buy your ticket online.

And let's be honest, even in the hallowed days of regulation, was the food ever that good anyway? Not once have I ever booked a flight on any carrier anywhere based on the meal. If you're expecting a gourmet feast in coach on any US carrier's domestic flight, then you must be used to disappointment by now.

If you don't like it, bring your own food.

ual777contrail

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Quoting 7H4Guy (reply 16):
Quoting N1120A (reply 12):

Quoting 7H4Guy (reply 16):
I find it hard to call either of these "Majors"

That is why I left them off. They aren't quit the size of the other majors.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

ANNOYEDFA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:19 pm

AA7573E- Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm going to.... Since Continental owns catering it's costs them very little to offer onbaord food. Such as Pastrami with turkey chips and carrots. That's more then enough for 5 hours. We just got the quaterly times and the meals are STAYING! Another funny things is while AA and everyone else is selling buying on board we just made $36 million catering that stuff on for them HA!
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."