rootsair

Question About OneWorld

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:08 pm

While we can see that Star Alliance has a never ending growth with new members coming in, and skyTeam is becoming bigger, why does OneWorld seem not to have any new members coming up ? Their list of members seems to be in stagnation since quite a while already whilst the other two big ones have more and more airlines coming up..

At the beginning I thought OneWorld was always going to keep a great competition against StarAlliance but we finally know it will never be the case. On the other hand star alliance just seems too big with too many airlines in the same region (by that I undestand europe),that it seems its not as necessary to have so many memebers. Yet I think its better than OneWorld remaining the same way it is since ages.

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge in alliance matters could help answer my questions and correct some of the statements I've made

[Edited 2005-02-27 15:16:50]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Trvlr

RE: Question About OneWorld

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:18 am

It seems like oneworld members have a hard enough time cooperating among themselves to worry about new members. AA/BA antitrust restrictions are just one example, although the matter is not entirely in their hands.

SWISS was blocked from the alliance due to a disagreement with British Airways over frequent flyer program compatibility. While OW has a great group of airlines (especially if you add those closely affiliated to the alliance, such as Mexicana, TAM, JAL, and Turkish), it just seems that expansion prospects and cooperation between them is not at the same level as Star or SkyTeam.

Aaron G.

KKMolokai

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:44 am

Tuesday, 01 March 2005

oneworld aims to add more carriers this year, oGB Chairman Conte tells Airline Business

oneworld intends to add more airline members this year, says Iberia Chairman Fernando Conte, who is also the current chairman of the alliance's Governing Board of CEOs, in a major interview in Airline Business. Speaking to the leading industry magazine for the cover story in its March edition, he is quoted: "We forecast that we will end this year with more airlines in our alliance, but we don't have the same type of goals as other alliances."

He explains: "oneworld is a very special alliance. We are very proud of having, in general, good companies, well-run companies and healthy companies. We have a [recruitment] process that is fairly selective. We don't open the door to every airline that is knocking. In connection with this, the oneworld spirit is to be a little bit less dependent between each other than other alliances."

The magazine cites him as identifying Asia, including either China or Japan, Latin America, and eastern Europe, including Russia, as regions where new members were being sought in 2005. Adding new members would be a major shift for the alliance, the Airline Business notes, as it has had the same line-up of partners for years.

Of his plans for Iberia, Senor Conte told the publication that improving its profitability was a top priority: "We have a margin of 3-4 per cent. It should be at least five points more."

The magazine also reports "his stated aim to buy into a Latin American carrier" and "his strong backing for airline consolidation".
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

calvin99

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting KKMolokai (reply 2):
The magazine cites him as identifying Asia, including either China or Japan, Latin America, and eastern Europe, including Russia, as regions where new members were being sought in 2005

Here is my guess..
From China: China Eastern Airlines (MU)
Japan: Japan Airlines (JL)
Latin American (Mexicana)
Eastern Europe: Seriously dunno

rootsair

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:44 pm

my guess :

Asia: JAL all the way

Latin america: MX but I really hope for TAM

Eastern Europe: Malev would be the only one I could think of
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots