airtran737

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:56 am

Last week in MKE one of the TSA's finest got his hand caught in the CTX machine. After wasting the time of the Police, Fire Department, and Airport Ops they were finally able to free him after ten minutes. But it doesn't end there. After being freed from the machine the EMT's strapped him to a gurnee and took him to the hospital. Glad to know that the 9/11 fees that passengers are paying are going to good use. And these clowns are making sure our skies are safe? I've got a retarded uncle who could do a better job than these guys.

Anyone else have any funny TSA stories to share?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ntspelich

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:26 am

I work on the ramp, so I carry a bin pin with me on my key chain. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to go get something to eat on a different concourse, which meant that I had to go out through security and then onto that concourse through their TSA checkpoint. Then the genius working the x-ray machine informed me that I couldn't keep my bin pins, as they were weapons. I guess that the shape threw them off. So, I politely tried to explain what it was for, but they were just oblivious, I don't even think that the two of them in that lane knew there were cargo doors on planes. So after getting some blank stares, I just blurted out "It's the key to the plane."

"The key to the plane? Why do you have one?" they replied.

"In case we ever need to move one. We all carry them."

"Well, you should have just said that to begin with."

And that is why I don't feel any safer.

NTS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

airgeek12

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:34 am

Haha. That's very funny Ntspelch. Ya, some TSA emplyees can be real idiots. They like work at a place they know nothing about! :p. I have to many stories about TSA idiots like mentioned but they're not nearly as good as the ones you already have! :p I'm not even sure if I can remember them.

fewsolarge

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:40 am

What ticks me off is a regular occurrence: We all know that some shoes are soft and won't set off the scanner, and that some need to be X-rayed. I come up to the front of the line, and the agent says something like, "We recommend removing your shoes." I might come back with, "I know these won't set off the scanner." Then the agent says, "We strongly recommend removing your shoes." The circus continues until it's obvious that the intent is not a recommendation, but an imperative wrapped in customer-service speak. I have no problem conforming to the imperatives of a government authority, but if they're going to frame it up as an option, I'm going to feel free to choose.

If anyone at the TSA is reading this, I "recommend" a training intervention to tell agents to cut to the chase if they are issuing a command.

AEROFAN

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:36 am

I would hardly call the TSA employee an idiot for getting his hand caught. Accidents do happen you know. Have you never tripped and fallen as an adult? Broken something? Gotten something lost?

Cactus739

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:44 am

AirTran

Couple of weeks ago at work I slipped on a wet floor and bruised my leg up, almost hit my head on the counter too on the way down. It was an accident, just like the TSA guy's... does that make me an idiot too?

Aerofan...thank you!
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ckfred

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:48 am

Fewsolarge:

If anyone at TSA gives me grief about my shoes, I simply say, "They don't set off the metal detectors at O'Hare." That usually gets the screener to shut up.

But here's the one that takes the cake. My wife forgot to take off her shoes at ATL and set off the detector. She was carrying our 5-month-old son. They asked if he was a boy or a girl. When she said he was a boy, they went scrambling to find a male screener, even though my wife said that wasn't necessary.

Then, the screeners got irritated that I wasn't there to hold our son while she was being wanded. The fact that I had to get into a different line, because the stroller was too big to fit through that lane's x-ray machine didn't impress them.

When I rolled up the stroller to put him in, I even got asked if I always go into a different line to have the stroller x-rayed. I said only when the x-ray machine it too small, and rather than put up a sign to that effect, you have screeners who try to stuff strollers like meatcutters stuffing sausage casings.

That didn't make his day.

airtran737

Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:02 am

Actually that would have been freakin hilarious to see. The point that I was trying to convey is that this guy was such a baby that once he got unstuck from the machine that he got caught in, he was strapped to a gurnee and taken to the hospital. Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

Ntspelich,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I keep a bypass pin on my lanyard in case we have lose one. While going through checkpoint one day the screener tried to take it from me saying that it was not legal to carry through checkpoint. A screening supervisor go involved and said that I couldn't have it also. I simply took it back, bypassed security, and waved at the screener when I was back in the terminal. These guys were trying to take a tool that is essential to my job away from me. The TSA needs to get better quality employees. Maybe when the carnival comes to town this summer they will be able to recruit some new screeners.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

isitsafenow

RE: Stupid TSA Employees?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:47 am

About the shoes bit at security, I beat them to the punch and take them off and place them in the plastic bid before they say take em off.
One TSA fellow told me in conversation they weren't necessarily looking for just metal shanks anymore but, as he put it, "other things as well". This advance move gets me through the drill a lot quicker then the guy behind me saying "why?" and "be extra careful of my laptop..its very expensive". No kidding.
The less you say to TSA, the quicker you are on your way...
Hey, that rhymes.....LOL
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

FLAIRPORT

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:15 am

I'm proud to say I have never had a dumb/negative expirence with the TSA.

Even when I'm randomly selected, the people were nice and not necessarly forceful and definently not dumb.

But most of my expirences have been at FLL...where they give many employees sensitivity training.
We'll see how they like 45 high school kids Friday morning!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

thvgjp

Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:13 am

Yeah, read my post about the presidential inaguration.
As I stated I had good seats and these rent a cops only gave us a cursory pat down and didnt have enough women agents to chck al the females. They were totally out of their element and had the deer in the headlight look. I guess once you take them out of the airport environment they loose their ability to think. As I said no metal detectors at all,no shoes off no strip searches only a slight patdown of outer garments, glad to know our Presidents save with these goofs around

AirWillie6475

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:51 am

Look TSA has a tough job. They have to be suspicious of every person. Yes, even little Kelly with her teddy bear. Please give them a break. And if they ask for you to takeoff the shoes, its not the end of the world.

APFPilot1985

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:06 am

I will agree that quite a bit of them are pretty dumb and I have family members who are screeners. The government really fu*ked up making the TSA. They came up with a bunch of rules that didnt make any sense and tried to hustle it all togther by just rehiring the same screeners but giving them a government job instead. What they should have done was taken their time, used the national guard until they got it set up and had an actual police force doing the screenings.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

September11

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:06 am

Stupid TSA Employees?

Not really ... I would not call one TSA employee stupid. If one TSA employee acts stupid, that does NOT mean that employee is stupid but TSA makes that employee LOOK stupid.

Just to be careful - we may have TSA employees here as airliners.net members.

[Edited 2005-02-28 02:08:18]
Airliners.net of the Future

cedarjet

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:15 am

I'm sure most people working for the TSA are idiots. We have had pro security here in the UK for decades and the difference is very noticeable. However my main beef isn't with them, it's selfish passengers who hold the line up by not being ready. Guys and girls, it's simple: put everything in the pockets of your top coat, put the coat on the belt in a wide tray on top of your handluggage and follow it with your shoes, which you took off at the beginning of the line. After walking through the Xray machine, get your stuff and move away, so you're not blocking anyone when you redistribute the small change into pants pockets and put shoes back on.

Same applies to having your ATM card ready when you get to the machine, and having your tube ticket in your hand when you get to the barrier.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

airgeek12

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:25 am

Ok, I take back everything I said and thought earlier. I was out of line.

Every adult makes his/her own mistakes, and they can even be embarrsing. Making embarrasing mistakes and stuff dosen't make you an idiot; or else we'd ALL be idiots. Bottom line = We all make mistakes and aren't as knowelgable as we could/should be. That dosen't make us idiots - it makes us human.  Big grin

geek

NASCARAirforce

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:26 am

I carry a Pearl drum key since I am a drummer, it is used for tightening the skins on the drums. It looks nothing like a weapon for anyone who has ever seen one. Yet everytime I fly out of DTW (only DTW, never any other airport) they sit there for a half hour looking at it and call 2 or 3 more guys over to stare at it confused before letting me go through.

jetstar

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:31 am

As a sometimes road warrior, I have been through TSA over a hundred times since they took over from the incompetent private screeners and I never have had a problem with them, they have a tough job to do which is to protect the air travelers with the least intrusion. Nobody likes to have anyone intrude into their personnel belongings or be questioned about what the passenger might think is a trivial item.

I realize they are not perfect and some have rough edges, but by far and large I feel they have done a good job. I never want to go back to the way it was before the TSA and if I have to take my shoes, jacket and sweater off, to me that is a small price to pay

To prevent any problems I take off any metal I have on including my belt. I have never set off the metal detector and on only a few occasions has my carry on been opened for inspection. Only once have I been selected for secondary screening because of a random selection SSSS on my boarding pass.

It is the people who argue or debate the screeners who are the idiots, because they slow the line down and make it rough on everyone else. The TSA has a job to do and to someone who is carrying an object they are not sure of, they take the side of precaution.

If I was a TSA screener, I would not know what a bin pin is if it was floating in my soup and even if I was told what it is by an employee, I would take the side of precaution and not allow it to go through security unless someone with authority would vouch for it. If this item is normally carried through security by airline employees, then it should be up to the airlines to identify what this item is to the TSA and have pictures posted at the screening area for the screeners to compare it with.

Since anyone who wanted to can get or make an airline ramp uniform and make a phony ID, not stopping them with a questionable item would make it easy for a terrorist to smuggle a weapon on board an airplane.

I say quit the griping about the TSA, obey the rules, don’t carry questionable items, let the TSA do their job and everyone will be much happier.

L-188

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:53 am

Once again the TSA's own employee's show what a bunch of screwheads they truely are.

I am still looking for somebody to tell my why the oath I took when I joined the US Army to defend the US "Against all enemies forgine and DOMESTIC doesn't authorized me to........well I'll let you figure it out.

Lets just say they clearly are an enemy domestic IMHO.

Airlines will continue not to receive my money while those morons are above the law.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Piedmontbrat

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:04 pm

My guess is that there are probably about 3500 9/11 victims as well as the soldiers who have been killed in our adventure in Iraq that would love to have the ability to take their shoes off, empty their pockets, explain a drum key or any number of other things that seem to tick us off when we pass thru TSA security. I've averaged about 4 flights per week since Jan 1 and have never encountered a rude or discourteous TSA person.

As a matter of fact, I've found them to be friendly and appreciative of a smile and a thank you.

Some of our traveling public seem to have been under some kind of rock for the past 4 years and I am convinced that there are certain folks flying today who shouldn't even be allowed in an airport, much less and airplane!

If the TSA security screening is the worst thing you have to encounter during your day, you better count your blessings!

jc2354

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:13 pm

I feel sorry for the front line employees of the TSA. I can only imagine the harassment, frustration and confusion they must face every day. After all, look who they work for!
If not now, then when?

ATL2CDG

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:15 pm

I think the claimed "stupidity" of TSA screeners is directly proportional to the actual stupidity and arrogance of the traveler making the claims.

Examples:

Quoting L-188 (reply 18):
Airlines will continue not to receive my money while those morons are above the law.

The Department of Homeland Security mandates the operations and practices of TSA airport screeners. To fault U.S. commercial air carriers for the actions of federal employees, and to thus refuse to travel on them (thereby depriving them of revenue) is asinine.

Quoting APFPilot1985 (reply 12):
I will agree that quite a bit of them are pretty dumb and I have family members who are screeners. The government really fu*ked up making the TSA. They came up with a bunch of rules that didnt make any sense and tried to hustle it all togther by just rehiring the same screeners but giving them a government job instead. What they should have done was taken their time, used the national guard until they got it set up and had an actual police force doing the screenings.

I'm glad to see that a 20-year-old amateur pilot who claims in a single sentence that his relatives who are screeners are "dumb" feels educated enough to critique screening guidelines established by individuals with hundreds of cumulative years experience in the security field. It is also interesting to see him support the diverting of combat-trained national guard personnel from wartime activities to civilian screening with which they have NO training.

And as generally contained in a good number of posts on this thread, as long as you continue to show contempt for those people who are charged with ensuring your safety, I doubt you'll encourage them to put you on a pedestal and kiss your shoeless feet.
Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

Boeing73G

Simple, but it happens too often: Directing you to the lane with the longest line.

But my problem is this with the TSA: not enough people to handle the amount of people that go through an airport, but that is only when they check boarding passes and ID's at the security checkpoint (luckily at SEA's C concourse they have TWO people doing that job!)

Just let the TSA do their jobs, though, although maybe not in the most efficent manner.

L-188

Quoting Jc2354 (reply 20):
I can only imagine the harassment, frustration and confusion they must face every day

How many other people get to lock up people and ruin their plans for laughs?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ATL2CDG

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Quoting L-188 (reply 23):
Quoting Jc2354 (reply 20):
I can only imagine the harassment, frustration and confusion they must face every day

How many other people get to lock up people and ruin their plans for laughs?

Please show one example of a customer being "lock[ed] up" for laughing at TSA airport screening personnel.
Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

kith

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:34 pm

Just like any profession there are good and bad eggs. Just because our nation was attacked and we are at war in Iraq now for some reason doesn't give the TSA/anyone the right to be rude/stupid/insensitive for "security."
Having done some work with the TSA and knowing some of the regional higher ups, they're just doing their job. THat said the shoe rule doesn't make sense, in ITH/SYR/DTW/SFO they don't ask (read: insist that I) take mine off, yet in PBI they do. Just get your regs straightened out like the TSA did on the gate check issue a few years back. Now they do it once, and hopefully do it right.
I've had unreasonable, silly, malicious TSA employees but locally if you know the right names to drop they're easy to deal with. Otherwise shut up and do what they say (within reason) and the line will move a lot faster. -Matt in KITH

APFPilot1985

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting ATL2CDG (reply 21):
I'm glad to see that a 20-year-old amateur pilot who claims in a single sentence that his relatives who are screeners are "dumb" feels educated enough to critique screening guidelines established by individuals with hundreds of cumulative years experience in the security field. It is also interesting to see him support the diverting of combat-trained national guard personnel from wartime activities to civilian screening with which they have NO training.

There are a number of national guardsman who serve as MP's and currently arent in Iraq or afghanistan. The rules that I am refering to not making any sense are the ones that were first put into place under Loy where the TSA was given the ability to revoke a pilots license at anytime without there being any recourse for the pilot. That is unconsitiutional as it denys due process of law. In regards to screening, I would have rather of seen it set up if not with actual law enforcement personnel then at least with a central training location as with the ATC in OKC, so that the standards would be the same everywhere and not hit or miss in some places but not stringent in others.

kc135topboom

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:40 pm

Okay everyone, there seems to be a perception here the TSA is a competent governmental agency.

Do you know what TSA means, thousands Standing Around.

The screeners at BOS on the morning of 9/11 were doing the job the FAA had in place at that time. Yes, box cutters were not considered a weapon. 9/11 was not caused by incompetence of BOS or the contract screeners. They followed the rules of the government.

Here at DFW, we have 15 screening entry points, and each one has 6-10 TSA people just standing around, waiting to take away your fingernail clippers.

jacobin777

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:46 pm

Oh c'mon people........its not that bad here, as a FF, I have to deal with the TSA all the time.........all one has to do is make sure they have nothing to hide and be courteous....yah..every now and then, maybe once every 30 flights I get the SSSS, but it really isn't a big deal...

Now, go to Pakistan, and try to say something, I'm sure most wouldn't, especially when there are army guys with MAC-10's standing around......
"Up the Irons!"

flyingbronco05

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:48 pm

If you don't like TSA screeners, then do us all a favor and don't fly. Afterall, part of the money you paid for your tickets with goes to the TSA.

Don't like what they are doing, go somewhere else.

I would like to see all of the people who make fun of them last one day doing their job. You guys are all pathetic.  Yeah sure

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:51 pm

"I'm proud to say I have never had a dumb/negative expirence with the TSA."

What's interesting is that everyone and their mother knows the TSA rules and regs better than the TSA knows their own damn rules and regs. If anyone else screws up you get fined...big. If the TSA screws up...you still get fined...big. I can't count how many times I've told TSA agents how to do their jobs ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN RULES.
E pur si muove -Galileo

AA54Heavy

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:52 pm

Two questions regarding TSA and security at Airports:

(1) Why is it that they "strongly" recommend me to remove my shoes, which I have ignored on occassion. I walk through the metal detector, and the alarm doesn't go off, then they obviously ask me to step aside for a private screening. Yet, in addition to having a closer look at my shoes they "give me the wand" all over my entire body....ummm, there might be something hidden in my shoes, but why waste the time to wand me when the god damn metal detector didn't detect any metal on me? Plus, if they are going to do that anyway, why not just require the shoes to be taken off...

(2) Why is it that you have to carry your boarding pass through the metal detector, with the inspector on the other side inspecting it very closely on the other side....all this when they just checked both my boarding pass and ID back before I could even queue for security?

Some things I'll never understand...
Roger that, turning to our "other" left

APFPilot1985

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:57 pm

I think people are missing the point of why people are upset with the TSA. It isnt the idea of screening, its the way that it is carried out. I have no problem with being an SSSS, as I have nothing to hide and I always get ready before I go through the line. The problem is that while at BUF the screeners are extremely attentive. At RSW a majority of them are retirees and there have been many times that I have seen people get through security setting off the alarm with out getting checked, because the screener didnt react quick enough. Like I have said repeatedly the screening force being goverment controlled was a good idea, but they have gone about it the wrong way by making it a non skilled posistion where sometimes even the screeners are put in bad situations because of how they have been trained/supervised.

And my earlier agreement of them being dumb comes from the 4 or 5 screeners that got arrested at BUF for stealing valuables out of baggage when they were on camera the whole time.

xORDLLAA

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:14 pm

OK people.... I do not think TSA employees are stupid, but some of them are. You can see it if you are an airport/airline employee. They (TSA) think they are much, much better than you and they can do whatever thay want.
No wonder on the employee parking lot @ ORD there is a graffiti:

"TSA = Totally Stupid As**oles"
life is beautiful...

ltbewr

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:42 pm

I have done enough air travel over the last 25 years and have seen security mostly in the USA, but also in many countries in the Caribbean and Europe plus NZ and Australia. Long before 9/11, the security in European airports, was far better than the USA until the TSA was created, and may still be better. As much as we complain about the beheavors of the TSA, I will still take it any day then before they came into being. Let us not forget that the TSA is supposed to be somewhat intimitating and even sometimes inconsistant in their beheavors/acts to discourage and keep potential terrorists guessing about their ability to evade security, incuding non-middle eastern men (remember Richard Reid).
Clearly before 9/11 security in the USA was not taken anywhere near as seriously as it was after the attacks. About 2 weeks before 9/11, I took CO round trip EWR-BOS on a Monday morning, returning to EWR that Friday afternoon. On my flight out of EWR, security was more concerned about my cell phone (there were publisised stories of cell phones containing guns or bombs) than the office sissors and a box cutter I had in my carry on. (I was working on a document production project at a documents storage facility used by the client). On my return I had the same sharp instruments in my carry on bag. These were the two same airports where 3 of the 9/11 attacks a/c originated from. Now of course, you couldn't do that as such box knives were used in the 9/11 attacks. For many years in my work as a legal assistant for major NYC law firms, I have had to go through 100's airport like security checkpoints at Federal and State courthouses and some government offices. Mainly this is to keep guns, knives, bombs and other terror weapons out of those buildings, just like onto aircraft, so perhaps I am less sensitive to such security.
Yes, we may complain about the TSA as being incompentent (and sometimes they are) and it isn't to the standards of security at places like LHR or FRA, but I would rather have them as we have them then to return to the past.
As another poster noted, be organized and prepared. Leave enough time if possible to get through security. Take your shoes and jackets/sweaters off if appropiate and cooperate with the TSA agents requests. Try not to delay the people behind you, especially if it is busy. I would also suggest that you have a clear plastic zip-lock bag to place your pocket stuff, jewlery, watch, change and other items when going through security. That way it keeps together and means a less chance of losing or forgetting stuff and reduces theft as well.

ANCFlyer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:59 pm

The TSA is a bunch of overpaid, underworked morons . . . . no common sense, no ability to think for themselves.

I have never seen an organization more screwed into the ground than the TSA.

I have said it in other threads, I'll say it until they go away or drastically change. Waste of taxpayers money. Period.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HAWK21M

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Quoting Ntspelich (reply 1):
The key to the plane

Thats interesting.Im surprised that Security is not aware of Items by Description.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SWALoveField

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:27 pm

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Wear slip on shoes (loafers). It makes the line go much faster.

Do what they say and be prepared.

People who delight in making other travelers wait are not paying it forward.

Regards,

Robb
Dallas, TX

"You can't spell win without WN!"

su

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:55 pm

I had a wonderful experience on my way from SFO to HCM via HKG in December last year.

In SFO me and my carry on passed the security quickly and without any problem but transferring via HKG to HCM (you have to go through the security again in HKG when transferring) I was stopped by the security agent took aside and opened my carry on. Turned out I forgot my scissors in my carry on bathroom bag. I honestly had no idea and of course they confesceted it immediately. I was quite a shocked as I passed SFO security and flu 15 hours with scissors on me.

So the question is how well is the TSA check in SFO then? What do these guys look at? It's kind of scary.

[Edited 2005-02-28 07:57:28]
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

lincoln

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:59 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (reply 16):
Yet everytime I fly out of DTW (only DTW, never any other...

My only experience, thus far, with idiots working for TSA was at DTW's Smith terminal (they couldn't comprehend (a) an hyphenated name, (b) why I had a NW boarding pass for a DL flght, (c) interlining in general, and (d) why I refused to go back to the Macnamera terminal since I was "ovbiously in the wrong place*"

After sharing a bus with a bunch of TSA screeners at LAX who had just gotten off duty bragging about how much they enjoyed "screwing over [name]** from 60 minutes and giving him the 'extra thorough' screening just for the hell of it" I began to have doubts, but my exps. with TSA at LAX haven't been good or bad.

No, they aren't all idiots and it is unfair to paint them with a broad brush, but the system does need reform and I don't think we're that much better off than when it was in the hands of private companies and we wern't charged the 9/11 security fee.

Lincoln
* - Um, yeah, for some inexplicable reason, went to the Macnamera terminal, got a boarding pass from NW with a DL flight number and hiked my rear end all the way down to the Smith terminal just for the hell of it... Ovbiously, I was in the wrong terminal...right.

** - I honestly can't remember their name at the moment
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

wukka

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:15 pm

Quoting SWALoveField (reply 37):
Do what they say and be prepared.

Like a lamb to the slaughter?

I agree with you on being prepared and paying it forward, but to blindly do what "they say" for the sake of... what? Freedom?

So we sacrifice our freedom for the sake of being more free? Please believe me that I'm not trying to be confrontational about this; but if you think that you might be able to walk through a detector without taking off your shoes and whatnot, shouldn't you at least get that chance?

I wore a pair of rubber and canvas Tevas to the airport (with dress clothes and my "real shoes" in my carry-on) just so I didn't have to walk through everyone else's nasty foot funk. I knew from previous experience from West Palm that these sandals wouldn't set off a detector...

Well, the short of it is that I was *demanded* to take off the sandals without a chance to even try passing through without removing my stinky shoes.

My question is this; do I now have legal recourse if I had gotten a nice case of athlete's foot? It's a well known medical fact that we get this little bit of fun by walking in the footsteps of others that are afflicted with this wonderful little fungus. Shouldn't I have at least had a chance to pass through these detectors without removing rubber sandals, or did I sign my right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness away when I purchased that ticket?

Regardless, it had to be pretty funny to see a guy in a suit with sandals on.  Smile
We can agree to disagree.

ntspelich

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (reply 29):
If you don't like TSA screeners, then do us all a favor and don't fly. Afterall, part of the money you paid for your tickets with goes to the TSA.

True, but some of us have to go through security on a daily basis, not to fly, but to go to work. And true, the TSA should be made aware of job-essential airline employee items, but unfortunately they're not. In my mind, the only true problem with the TSA (other than the ridiculous overstaffing of it which wastes tax-payer money) is that security procedures are nowhere near uniform from airport to airport. Some places shoe removal is "mandatory," others it's not. Sometimes airline employees non-reving are allowed to go through "employee only" lines, although they're non badged/based at that airport. In my case, at LAS, SAN, PHX, MDW, HOU, DAL, CLE and MCO they knew what my bin pin was and didn't even think twice about it once they saw my company badge, at BWI, where I do hold a SIDA badge, they look at it in amazement sometimes (and I'll admit, other TSA employees at BWI haven't said a word about it to me).

Basically, my view is this: if you're going to have the goverment take over security screening so that the travelling public and air transportation in general is more secure, they truly make it standardized so that that level of security is the same no matter if you're flying from a major airport like JFK or ORD or out of a puddle-hopper-stop like CKB. Until then, while there may have been changes as to what is allowed/unallowed, the security situation, at least for passengers, hasn't and won't have changed a bit.

NTS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

CrossChecked

Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:56 pm

I have to go through TSA screening points atleast twice a week, but sometimes up to four times a week after longhaul flights from (or before a flight to) the United Kingdom.

It absolutely infuriates me that procedures differ from airport to airport. One airport will let me keep my uniform suit jacket on, while others make me take it off. Some let me keep my shoes on while others make me take them off.

I know know what makes the detector go off at different airports (my watch sets the machine off in Tampa but not Atlanta.... My belt sets it off in Houston but not Dallas.... Go figure.) and am always prepared, but with having to take laptops out of cases, take shoes, belts, watches, jackets etc. off before going through the beeper, you end up with ten pieces of luggage going through the x-ray. What a waste of time and money.

The TSA are just a bunch of under-educated dumbasses being kept in employment to keep un-employment figures down. Very very few of them have anything particularly constructive to offer the industry.
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:50 pm

Quoting Ntspelich (reply 1):
I work on the ramp, so I carry a bin pin with me on my key chain.

Ah yes, the dreaded bin pin...

Seriously, they need to be trained on essential items airline employees carry. And I'd say they need to learn to recognize airline employees...I mean...I look like a damn smurf! For some reason it takes them a while to recognize that I'm not a passenger.

Ah! Which reminds me. I was recently non-revving at LAX. One TSA employee would not let me through because I did not have a boarding pass. Well DUH, I'm non-revving! Really, all I need to carry is my airline badge! I don't even get a boarding pass til I get to the gate! The guy just wouldn't understand even after another TSA employee came over and tried explaining to him that all I need to show is my airline badge.

At SJC, even though I'm on the ramp, I deal with the TSA daily as a part of my job. Due to lack of terminal space, we actually have a make-shift "Pod" set up out on the ramp where 4 CTX machines are located. We drop bags off at the Pod to get scanned. It's so frustrating when you are working at CTX sorting the bags that come out so that you can take them to the flight on time when the TSA take their sweet little time scanning each bag and doing their silly random bag check. I often have to rush last minute stragglers to the plane less than 5 minutes before departure because it took so long for the bags to go through CTX.

Here's another silly TSA thing. Let me ask...when there is a gun checked in (properly) or anything else that must be opened and searched according to regs, is it really necessary to have the item X-Rayed? I mean come on...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

vsmike

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Unfortunately, it would seem that today's TSA have lived up to their predecessors' notion of "Employing the Otherwise Unemployable".

I have been told in the recent past from multiple TSA representatives who work at CTX bag scanning machines that it is not the job of the machine or themselves to look for (or remove) flammable liquids/solids from packed suitcases... "only explosives."
Riiiight.

And also, while I am a normally huge supporter of EEOC (equal opportunity emplpoyment laws within the USA), I'm not sure what purpose wheelchair-bound, or missing-limb TSA security inspectors serve. It would just seem to me that these fine guardians should be ready and 100% capable -at a moment's notice- should trouble arise. There are other civil service jobs that can afford to be more lenient with their hiring standards.

Oh well... We get what we pay for, I guess.
Skyteam. Caring More About Me.

neednewairport

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:59 pm

O the shoe thing makes me mad!!! I do not want to take off my shoes, I bought airport friendly shoes for a reason. I tell the TSA idiot that he can not require me to take off my shoes if the alarm does not sound.....their typical idiot response is ..... then you will go to jail ..... screw you dude, see this uniform, yeah I am a F/A and I know your darn rules better than you so shut your freakin pie hole!

fdxgirl

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:35 am

At MKE all I see them doing is standing around talking and I notice that they load up the carousel belt too much to jam it up while we're in the bag room. I think they do it on purpose. I think we have an overdose of TSA at MKE. I wish I got paid to sit around. Do they even go through any kind of training? At least I don't have to deal with them up at the cargo ramp, just at the other job.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:42 am

Working at MSP, I had to walk thru security every time I came to work. Luckily I used the skyway security, and these guys dealt mostly with either airline employees or frequent travellers, and hence, the line went by smoothly. They were also friendly and did a little small talk. In DLH is the only place I've seen a bad situation with the TSA, but then again, this could be the F/As fault. She claimed she put her wristwatch in the little tray, but it was not there when she picked up her stuff (after getting secondary screening while on duty, great right?). The plane ended up delayed as they asked over the PA if any pax had accidentally grabbed it, and they were talking to TSA supervisors and the whole deal. I think we left without her watch in the end...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Piedmontbrat

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:27 am

As I said in my previous post, if all you have to worry about is removing items from your pocket, or removing your shoes, or removing something that you have forgotten in your suitcase, briefcase or handbag...then you're damn lucky.

Again...to put it in perspective, I suspect the families of those killed or those killed on 9/11 as well as the those who have lost their lives in our invasion of Iraq would love to endure the minor inconvenience of screening to have their lives returned to them.

Get a life people!

iadguy73

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting SU (reply 38):
I was stopped by the security agent took aside and opened my carry on. Turned out I forgot my scissors in my carry on bathroom bag. I honestly had no idea and of course they confesceted it immediately. I was quite a shocked as I passed SFO security and flu 15 hours with scissors on me.

So the question is how well is the TSA check in SFO then? What do these guys look at? It's kind of scary.

Security at SFO is done by a private contractor not by TSA. That only illustrates what a stellar job those private screeners do.  Nuts

You should always look at it this way when you go through the checkpoint: Would I want TSA have the other passengers on my flight to take their shoes off? Look in their bag? X-ray their jacket? If something happens on your flight it's your a** falling from the sky not the screeners' at the airport. They just trying to make it safer for you not for TSA. Duh!

Quoting AA54Heavy (reply 31):
(2) Why is it that you have to carry your boarding pass through the metal detector, with the inspector on the other side inspecting it very closely on the other side....all this when they just checked both my boarding pass and ID back before I could even queue for security?

The screener has to check if you have been selected by the airline for additional screening (selected by the airline not TSA!). The boarding pass/ID check is only to determine if you are indeed the person flying.

Quoting ANCFlyer (reply 35):
The TSA is a bunch of overpaid, underworked morons . . . . no common sense, no ability to think for themselves.

It's actually the opposite: underpaid and overworked. Why do you think TSA have staffing problems at some airports?

Quoting ANCFlyer (reply 35):
I have never seen an organization more screwed into the ground than the TSA.
I agree that TSA is not as organized as it should be but whose fault is that? Certainly not the TSA screeners at the airport.

I have said it in other threads, I'll say it until they go away or drastically change. Waste of taxpayers money. Period.

Do yourself and us a favor then, grab your pen and write to your Congressman/woman; and give them your peace of mind.

Quoting CrossChecked (reply 42):
It absolutely infuriates me that procedures differ from airport to airport. One airport will let me keep my uniform suit jacket on, while others make me take it off. Some let me keep my shoes on while others make me take them off.

For heaven's sake how long does it take you to accomplish those tasks? 10 seconds? Just do it and you go through faster.

Quoting CrossChecked (reply 42):
The TSA are just a bunch of under-educated dumbasses being kept in employment to keep un-employment figures down. Very very few of them have anything particularly constructive to offer the industry.

Do you know any people in TSA personally? I guess next time I get bad service from a ticket agent or flight attendant I can assume all the airline employees are what you said. Just think about the repercussion of another terrorist incident involving airliners on the already shaky airline industry. Maybe after such an incident you will be the one unemployed.

Cheers  Smokin cool