cedarjet

Does Anyone Here Like Flying?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:19 am

I know, you would think so, wouldn't you? But there is a constant drumbeat of complaint on here about flying. Not TSA nightmares or delays, that's all crap all the time. But people saying how unpleasant a 757 is across the pond, or "I'd be on suicide watch after an 11 hour flight", or, most of all, if there's no PTV, it's a oneway trip to hell. Boy, the last thing I want to do on a plane is watch a movie. Try looking out the window, having a deep thought, reading a book. The only thing better than an 11 hour flight for me would be a 12 hour flight. The view, the vibes, the power, the food, the dozing, the crew, the lack of mobile phone signal... Bring it on. But I seem to be in a minority. Most of you seem to hate flying even when you've got a window seat, you pushback on time and there's an empty seat next to you. So how many of you really enjoy the experience? I think it's basically just me. The rest of you either like watching crappy blockbuster movies (with the shagging edited out) or composing letters of complaint to United Customer Services. Am I right? Any thoughts?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Newark777

RE: Does Anyone Here Like Flying?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:23 am

Hey, I'm with you. Nothing is better than just looking out the window on a long flight. I assume a lot of the people here fly a lot on business, or it is their job, so it might have lost that special feeling for them. Nothing makes me happier than going on a flight, no matter the plane (unless some brat kid is making noise behind me, but that doesn't have to do with the actual flying.  Smile)

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

BR715-A1-30

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:23 am

Well, you have a very interesting post here Cedarjet. I love to fly on the 717, but I do not know if I could sit on that thing for over 3 hours without some sort of entertainment... A 747-400 perhaps on a 3 hour flight, would keep me peaked, as I would be exploring the aircraft.. I love to fly, and it all depends on several factors as to whether or not I will enjoy my flight... A/C type is one of them. Don't gimme a CRJ on a 3.5 hour flight
Puhdiddle

geoffm

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:28 am

I'd love it if it wasn't for all the other pax... especially those rude enough to buy a 1st class seat and deny me a free upgrade!  Wink/being sarcastic

I do find the airport experience quite stressing though. Getting there (inevitably public transport for me), huge queues everywhere, hustle, bustle, squeezed into a small space for several hours, then possibly immigration queues at the other end!

I guess the flying itself is pretty good, as long as it's not tooo long. It's everything that goes with it that is the problem.

Geoff M.

USAFHummer

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:29 am

For me, flying has gotten slightly dull, largely because I mainly fly the same airline on the same few routes...however, to compensate, at every available opportunity, when flying a new route or one that my main airline doesn't serve, I do my best to get on a new airline or new aircraft type, to make proverbial lemonade out of the flying lemon...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

AeroWesty

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:33 am

I can't think of anything I'd rather do than get on a plane and go somewhere. I do, however, choose wisely, so I'm not stuck in the middle of a row with 28" pitch. It's all in how you approach it. My good experiences far outweigh the occasional bad experience, just like anything in life.

And I may be alone in this view, but the constant flicker of PTVs is more of a hindrance than a help. I want to be able to open the windowshade and look out the window.  Smile

I don't just fly, I travel.

Cheers.
International Homo of Mystery

skidmarks

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:34 am

Well, I'm still a kid at heart and flying on anything, for any length of time is still a thrill. Whether it's a half hour hop to MAN or 8 hours on a 744 to ORD, its all fun.

I even enjoyed 3 1/2 hrs on a Nimrod circling fishing boats in the Moray Firth - even if I did throw up rather a lot !!!!!!!!!!

However, 5 hours in a C-130 wasn't my favourite experience. But hey, it's flying!!!!!

Cheers

Andy
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ozglobal

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:39 am

Cedarjet,

By criticizing, we sometimes attempt to sound more expert than we are. It is also a human temptation to focus on the half empty glass...

As for me, I usually travel for work, but still very often enjoy it immensely. I guess I'm becoming numb to the various sounds and forces at play, even sustained tubulence. What I really appreciate is long haul international travel (preferably in premium classes, but who wouldn't). The appeal is the feeling at LHR, HKG, CDG, SIN or SYD of being on the 'world's doorstep', with so many languages, cultures, races, carriers and destinations looking at you. Then there's your own flight. I particularly like the Kangaroo route (Europe-Oz) for this reason. As you watch the flight path, you cover W.Europe, E.Europe, central asia, the Middle East, India and Asia. Stop in Asia: wham! Pludged into an Asian version of LHR, then off again to Oz. 5 hrs just crossing Oz on this route to MEL. The whole flight is usually 23hrs, so C class is much appreciated. Two crews, 4 full meals, lots of wines and foods to sample, great in flight service, several hour conversations with your neighbour and, one of the best parts for me, the fun of a great 8-9hrs sleep in a lie flat seat/bed(Melatonin also helps, with 10-11 time zones difference) and all on the same flight number!

This is a marvel of aviation and great fun. Of course then there's the business to take care of, but no reason not to enjoy that too.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

antares

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:40 am

I love flying. That's why I don't worry about points or status. Like to try different carriers all the time.

This goes way back to a childhood on inter island steamers in the South Pacific. Once I grew out of sea sickness I never tired of looking at the sea and the sky.

Then I moved to Australia where my parents came from at the end of WW11 and discovered STEAM TRAINS and rare interstate flights on DC-3s then Skymasters, then Viscounts and DC-6Bs.

Cedarjet is right.

Look out the window. Those of you who are young, think about the great things the future will bring. You'll fly beyond the ceiling of the sky one day. Those of us who are old, dream of what was, and what will be.

Antares

PS I'm often disappointed by the trip reports. People fly across the north pole and high Greenland and never describe the view.

AirWillie6475

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:41 am

Why is it that people object to watching movies on flights? Have you actually try to read a book? You read a boring chapter and its only been 20 minutes. Plus the noise doesn't help. We watch movies so the time can fly quicker. I have yet to experience a PTV but for those who don't like the flicker of the screen, can't you just turn it off?

TUGMASTER

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:46 am

Hey Charlie,

Very valid points made there old boy. You know my views on flying...... i'd do it for fun anytime anyplace anywhere ( martini style you might say). What i think has changed alot of peoples views are " EXPECTATIONS". Once someone has tried the finers classes available, F & J and they have to go back to flying FR or U2 or even god forbid 'charter',they tend to become a little spoilt or dare I say "up themselves" and instead of realishing the experience, they would rather spend 6 hours thinking of ways to complain,so maybe the next time they actually flew, they might recieve the covetd "free upgrade".

Just my two pennies worth.

Tugmaster

p.s Charlie,I'm trying to work something out for the RG MD11 if intrested.. ?

AeroWesty

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (reply 9):
I have yet to experience a PTV but for those who don't like the flicker of the screen, can't you just turn it off?

The first PTV system I ran across was on an HP Airbus for a 3 hour flight after dark. All it did was cycle through advertisements the whole flight. 150 screens flickering for no purpose to me as a passenger was absolutely horrid. And no, I couldn't turn a planeful of screens off.  Smile

My main objections to PTV systems are that they take up legroom, and force me to sit in an atmosphere of 100's of flickering screens, and with AVOD, not even simultaneously. And I'm still restricted from opening the window shade. Hmpf.
International Homo of Mystery

anstar

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:55 am

Ever tried looking at a window on a 12 hour flight? It's either going to be VERY bright or dark. Not enough tokeep me occupied for 12 hours. Books, magazines, PTV all do the trick.

Newark777

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:13 am

Quoting TUGMASTER (reply 10):
Once someone has tried the finers classes available, F & J and they have to go back to flying FR or U2 or even god forbid 'charter',they tend to become a little spoilt or dare I say "up themselves" and instead of realishing the experience, they would rather spend 6 hours thinking of ways to complain,so maybe the next time they actually flew, they might recieve the covetd "free upgrade".

That's true. Coming from someone who has never flown anything but coach, I have actually become used to it, and really don't mind traveling long distances in coach. If you don't know anything better, there is not much to complain about.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

jsnww81

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:33 am

While the airlines and US government have tried their hardest to suck all the fun out of flying, it's still my favorite thing to do.

For me, there's nothing finer than the last few hours of an eastbound transatlantic flight. The sun is just starting to come up, the aroma of coffee brewing is filling the cabin, and the aircraft is still silent except for the dull roar of the engines. Down below is nothing but ocean, and Europe - a land where aircraft enthusiasts are celebrated, not harrassed - is just a few hours away.

Antares:
If you read some of my trip reports, you'll notice that I focus on almost nothing BUT what I see out the window! I get tired of trip reports where people talk for six paragraphs about the food or the design of the seats. I travel to *see* the world, and you better believe I'm glued to the window the entire time. For me, a flight in an aisle or a middle seat is a trip to purgatory. I like PTVs as a distraction on long overwater flights, but as long as we're over land, I'm not even turning the damned thing on.

I try to get on a plane and fly somewhere (even if it's just a short hop somewhere here in the Midwest) at least once a month. I'm very fortunate to be out of college and earning an income that allows me to feed my indulgence.

So yes, I love flying. My friends and coworkers think I'm crazy (I just flew to London and back for the weekend) but I couldn't stand being rooted to the same place for so long.

m404

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:09 am

The knowing of something better also explains mine and possibly others complaints. I grew up flying when passengers wore ties and load factors were in the sixties. I don't miss the ties but the wide open spaces were surely wonderful. On the rare times I can get a window seat now on a geographically interesting route I can still raise a glass (now plastic) and watch the sunset/rise through the wine (now ginger ale - sigh) and get a glimmer of the good life. Age and exposure can rub the sheen off a bit when jostled by the crowds, lines, restrictions, lack of space, individuality, and class. The sameness of the aircraft, overpacked overheads, overworked Flight Attendants, undermanned podiums and counters. In comparison to the airfares we have overpriced car rentals, hotels, restaurants, and overcrowded destinations filled with people that all take pride in "attitudes" or just don't like us for something we didn't do or in fact doing "it" by simply being there.

Yes, some of the thrill has burned off but I still get a rush being pushed back in the seat and watching the wing tips raise up then pull us along with them. I enjoy reading posts by young enthusiats here who have no other memories to taint the experience and want to know all they can about the mechanics of it. I find myself more and more trading the middle seat for my camper when time is not an issue and the bed by the clear stream rather than bucking the jet stream. I enjoy looking up through the leaves as much as down at whole mountain ranges.

And yes, I'll still take a book inflight were I can immerse in a tale I've chosen rather than endure sophomoric humor or crassness I never subscribed to but still have to pay for.

I love flying. It's just that todays is not yesterdays and nothing can turn it back. If we could all taste the old perhaps we would demand better now but prices and statistics would not allow it. Savor the experience folks.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

ba319-131

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:15 am

I love flying, about the only place you can escape the cell phone! Smile

On a serious note, I find it very relaxing. A nice glass of wine or something, a good meal and a book,nothing better. This said, all my recent long haul flights have been in Business Class, don't think I could handle 'Y' again!
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

Sabena332

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:30 am

To be honest, I don't enjoy flying as much as I used. This is one reason why I decided to fly less but in Business Class, I rather prefer a nice long-haul flight in Business than two long-hauls in Economy Class.

I also stopped these "pointless" flights just to fly to some airport for spotting (actually I lost interest in spotting).

Patrick

Edit: Typo

[Edited 2005-02-28 22:32:31]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

SLC1

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:57 am

Personally I like the airport more than the actual flight, I am interested both in airport systems/flows and architecture, and like to explore various caverns watching how everything gets moved and flows together, from baggage handling from check-in to the gate back to baggage claim to special channels for departing/arriving/pre-cleared International passengers twisting in and out to get to the right swing gate. Also I love to see the varying sorts of planes what flights are flying to which destinations, especially those that are obscure, like watching Big Sky alongside the EVA Air 747, Northwest DC-10, Horizon Dash 8, or Aeroflot at the Satellite at SeaTac, then sitting eating some crap food watching that aforementioned EVA 747 takeoff astounded that thing can actually get up into the sky. I enjoy the flight as well, but really only on taxi, takeoff, and descent. Being in the air loses its novelty quickly, usually after I'm done with the airline's magazine.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

zotan

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:04 am

I l
Quoting Jsnww81 (reply 14):
For me, there's nothing finer than the last few hours of an eastbound transatlantic flight. The sun is just starting to come up, the aroma of coffee brewing is filling the cabin, and the aircraft is still silent except for the dull roar of the engines. Down below is nothing but ocean, and Europe - a land where aircraft enthusiasts are celebrated, not harrassed - is just a few hours away.

I have to agree with you that eastbound transatlantics are great. I love waking while everyone else is still asleep. The cabin is so quiet and there really seems to be nothing to worry about.

N766UA

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:07 am

I love flying and just sitting back and enjoying it. Screw PTVs. I flew night time CLE-SEA in Sept and was entertained for about 30 mins watching a long line of thunderstorms rumble across the vast nothingness of central idaho. Everyone was either asleep or watching the movie but I was plastered to the window, hands cupped so I could see it all. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen, to be able to watch all the way down the line of storms with little bits of lighting popping and lighting up the clouds for miles and miles.
This Website Censors Me

ATLFlyer323

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:13 am

Geoffm, I LOVE THE AIRPORT!!!! How can you hate it!!! THe rushing of all sorts of people trying to get where their going, the really bad stores that I somehow love to explore anyways and the terminals, just watching people do there job is facinating. I admit it can be stressful but to me the airport is one of the best parts of flying. Where else could you walk around and see so many different types of airplanes and there c/s. To me the airport is AN AWESOME PLACE!!!!! But hey im wierd like that  Smile

Thanks,
Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

ATAIndy

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:27 am

Flying is my favorite thing. I wouldn't give it up for the world. To me, all of the lines, and security, and delayed flights, its all part of the adventure, you know?? It would get boring if everything went right, i mean it would be a change, but when i fly i fell like theres always something new everytime. But maybe thats just because i dont get to fly very often. As long as i have a window seat, i'm all for flying. I love to look at the landscape down below, look for other airplanes in the sky. I mean isnt that what flying is about? If it isnt then i missed a beat somewhere. I think sometimes we just need someone to complain to, and where's the perfect place, but the number one avaition site?
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

antares

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:46 am

Hey Jsnww81, M404 and N766UA,

Thanks for those comments. I feel I'm not alone in my window fixation after all. Wondering if M404 ever flew in a Martin 404. That would have been something if you did?

Back in the late 70s, I think 1979, there was a Qantas captain who pulled a big surprise on a those passengers who were looking out the window on a Honolulu to west coast, probably SFO leg.

He realised that his route and timing would take him close to the shadow track of a total eclipse of the sun, so he detoured something less than 200 miles and flew for a few minutes right inside the eclipse zone. People looking out the window must have thought the sky looked a bit weird, only to look incrdibly weird when totality overtook the jet.

I've only heard this incident described third hand. There may be posters who can add some detail to it.

Antares

fbgdavidson

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:00 am

Quoting Cedarjet (reply 0):
Boy, the last thing I want to do on a plane is watch a movie. Try looking out the window

I dare you to go on a Transpac and look out the window for 11hrs  Big grin

Personally I have been spoiled as a youngster, too much F & J and I got a little blase about it at one time, although now I am funding my own premium travel I really enjoy my flights in the knowledge I've earned it. The only non F/J I've had to do recently I became a very angry, grumpy and somewhat short tempered young man and I really didn't enjoy it. Time seemed to drag on and on despite being only an 8hr flight....Alas I was back in J about six weeks later and really enjoyed the flight.

To be honest it baffles me why people really enjoy flying in the back. Car enthusiasts don't love riding in the back of Daewoos, interior by KIA or not  Big grin
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

m404

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:15 am

Antares

You bet I did. We used to call them the Rolls Royce with Morris Minor engines. They had incredible seats you really could just surround yourself in. That was the first airplane I was actually paid to work, mixing the ADI (anti-detonent-ingrediant), adding oil (lots of oil). First flight was like you on the DC3 but mine was in Alaska instead of Oz. Did you ever get to take the Sunderland to Lord Howe, or a Gypsy to some outback station?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

lvkewlkid

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:24 am

I love flying and airports, but I do need something to entertain me.

MD11LuxuryLinr

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:24 am

Quoting Cedarjet (reply 0):
Boy, the last thing I want to do on a plane is watch a movie. Try looking out the window, having a deep thought, reading a book. The only thing better than an 11 hour flight for me would be a 12 hour flight. The view, the vibes, the power, the food, the dozing, the crew, the lack of mobile phone signal... Bring it on.

Big thumbs up
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

nycflyer

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:25 am

The pros:

Flying is wonderful because it's the only place where YOU CAN'T BE REACHED. Nothing is asked of you or expected of you until you land. Your life is on hold until you arrive.

The cons:

That said, flying can also be stressful when there are delays and you're in a hurry or are anxious about making a connection. The flight itself isn't stressful, you just feel stressed.

Lucky727

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:32 am

Cedarjet - nice rant  Big thumbs up

When I started flying in the late 60s/early 70s there were no upgrades, no PTVs - it was all 'old-skool' as they say. All about the noises, the strange artificial environment, the physics of it, the 'stewardesses', and the beginning of a lifetime of collecting memorabilia (notably dinnerware, and anything else that wasn't screwed down).

Granted, the experience was a little more 'special' than it feels like today, but I enjoy it just as much. Some of our 'younger members' really are spoiled, and some of our 'older members' are understandably jaded & over it, what with all the hassles these days.

Well, I still get a thrill from the whole experience. On my last YYZ-LHR last I didn't want to miss a minute of the experience (was having too much fun chatting in the aft galley of my AC A330, whilst pocketing some logomarked glassware) to try to sleep  Big thumbs up
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

airtrainer

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:49 am

Cedarjet is absolutely right ! A few days ago I spend 19 hours in a old Greyhound coach between Brisbane and Sydney, with a guy in front of me who obviously didn't know the existence of deodorant, and a woman who added the bad smell of her cigarette after each stop. Hopefully I had a good cd full of mp3 for this journey, but I was only able to listen to my favourite djs after the driver turned off the tv... No guys I know why I LOVE to fly so much !!!

Jef
Life is short : eat dessert first !

WindowSeat

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting Newark777 (reply 13):
Coming from someone who has never flown anything but coach, I have actually become used to it, and really don't mind traveling long distances in coach. If you don't know anything better, there is not much to complain about.

Harry, if you fly F or J a few times, you'll see why people get hooked on it. For a simple reason it is just so much more confortable. The few times that I have been "up there" was only through upgrades and haven't really lost touch with reality. So, I don't mind traveling by coach any amount of distance.

Flying is fun, but travel is even more exciting. With the fares as low as they are from New York, I try and get out as much as possible.

Quoting Fbgdavidson (reply 24):
To be honest it baffles me why people really enjoy flying in the back. Car enthusiasts don't love riding in the back of Daewoos, interior by KIA or not

No they don't, but not all car enthusiasts can afford a Bentley now, can they?

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

jsnww81

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:30 am

On US domestic sectors, there are ups and downs to first class travel, believe you me.

On my last first class trip I was detained by a federal air marshal (my seatmate) for taking photographs out the aircraft window. Since the FAMs always sit up front, I'll take my chances in the back, where I'm free to do as I please. I have a feeling I'll like flying a lot better without some glorified seatwarmer "protecting my freedom" by trying to take it away.  Smile

goCOgo

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:54 am

Cedarjet, I'm adding you to my respected users list! I do agree it's idiotic that people come to this board, where we come because we love aviation and planes, and proceed to bitch about it. Some complaints are legitimate, but many are just frivolous. "Oh, I non-reved this flight, and didn’t get upgraded, even though there were seats available." I'd fly in the cargo hold for the privilege of non-reving! "Oh, my meal was small." Want food? Go to a restaurant. You’re on the plane to fly, not eat. "Oh, my elite card is about to expire. I might have to wait in line with the peasants one time out of my 100 round trips this year." Complaints I fully expect to read in the future: "Oh, my first class sleeper suite only reclined 170 degrees." "Oh, the flight attendant didn't leave me the whole drink cart like I asked." "Oh, the flight attendant didn't wipe my butt for me in the lav."

Some of you are almost shoving it in our face. I wish I could afford fist class tickets. I wish I had a cushy job that flew me all around the world, enabling me the have uber diamond encrusted platinum elite status, or whatever they call it. I'm sorry to say that the golden age of flying, where top service was to be expected, went out with deregulation. It's time you learned to live with it. More importantly, you should be thankful of what you do have.

Sorry for my ranting, but I've noticed the same thing during my short time here.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

Eric777

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:55 am

I only fly a few times a year so I try to savor the experience as much as possible. It gives me a good feeling from when I booked the flight to the end of the flight. It is one of those things that I know I will never get tired of doing. I don't care about upgrades, miles, status, points, or PTV. Those things are nice but I'll live if I don't get them. Airports are great too. I enjoy sitting there like a little kid watching the planes move about. So yes I like flying.

antares

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Hi M404,

Damn I would have loved to do that.

Yes I flew on the Ansett (or at times Airlines of NSW) flying boats a bit but never on a Drover.

Not only to Lord Howe Island, which is one of the best kept secrets in world travel even today and reached by a Qantaslink Dash 8-300 with HUGE life raft right in the middle of the cabin, but to Hayman Island and a lake in the Snowy Mountains before the hydro electricity scheme was completed.

The flight to Hayman Island in the Whitsunday Passage was well before it became a luxury resort. Reg Ansett established the original 'resort' as a set of fairly basic buildings in a glorious tropical location. It took something like 5 hours to get there from Rose Bay the flying boat base on Sydney Harbour.

If you ever visit Sydney you find the spot by asking for Catalina's restaurant, a little past one of the late Peter Doyle's fish restaurants. A top spot, laden with memories for this old window gazing dreamer.

Antares

tungd

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:34 pm

I love driving cars, and I love flying in aircraft. Yet because I'm spoiled (like most of us), I find myself bitching about the 6-hour, 350-mile drive to visit my grandparents just as much as I complain about the 6-8-hour, 2,500 mile flight to visit my sister (total time, not just airborne).

Everything is relative...100 years ago it would've taken days to travel cross-country by train, with no electronic "goodies" to keep you busy. 100 years from now, people will probably think it's "quaint" that we use museum pieces such as DVDs and iPods for entertainment. And yes, they will be bored aboard their 22nd century airliners.

airgeek12

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:37 pm

Very interesting perspective thoughts on the whole airliner thing. It was nice to hear what you think, seriously!

geek

aerorobnz

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:00 pm

I find I am more likely to panic away from the airport environment than i am once I'm there so I absolutely love to go to the airport hours before I have to - The gentle murmur of thousands of people going about their own lives, but still being part of the larger society. It always boosts my perception of humanity when I'm there. Once I'm through security/immigration etc sitting spotting from my gate & actually on the plane there isn't anything I would rather be doing at all. I prefer having a PTV to watch the flight tracker on, so I know what I'm looking at out the window, and can see the flight we are doing is going to plan, but I would go on flights without IFE. I don't know what I'd by like if I ever got an aisle/centre seat on a longhaul flight though. I'd go spare I suspect, as much as I do love flying. It gets me excited just thinking about it all.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

spirtofalaska

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:43 pm

Quoting GoCOgo (reply 33):
Cedarjet, I'm adding you to my respected users list! I do agree it's idiotic that people come to this board, where we come because we love aviation and planes, and proceed to bitch about it. Some complaints are legitimate, but many are just frivolous. "Oh, I non-reved this flight, and didn’t get upgraded, even though there were seats available." I'd fly in the cargo hold for the privilege of non-reving! "Oh, my meal was small." Want food? Go to a restaurant. You’re on the plane to fly, not eat. "Oh, my elite card is about to expire. I might have to wait in line with the peasants one time out of my 100 round trips this year." Complaints I fully expect to read in the future: "Oh, my first class sleeper suite only reclined 170 degrees." "Oh, the flight attendant didn't leave me the whole drink cart like I asked." "Oh, the flight attendant didn't wipe my butt for me in the lav."

Some of you are almost shoving it in our face. I wish I could afford fist class tickets. I wish I had a cushy job that flew me all around the world, enabling me the have uber diamond encrusted platinum elite status, or whatever they call it. I'm sorry to say that the golden age of flying, where top service was to be expected, went out with deregulation. It's time you learned to live with it. More importantly, you should be thankful of what you do have.

Sorry for my ranting, but I've noticed the same thing during my short time here.

Amen to THAT!!
you fo'Coffee?

jamman

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:12 pm

Hey I love to fly, can't get enough, I even entertain my self at home with FS2004 when I get the time, I mean I'm even looking forward to Flying with Ryanair to London (well standsted) with colleges from work, they just don't understand what I'm excited about!  Smile
Last time I went long haul from EWR to MAN the lovely people at Continental upgraded me! I mean that flight was over only too quickly in my opinion!! (by the way thanks to the F/A who kept plying me with wine and jack d and coke!)

Regrards,

[Edited 2005-03-01 11:22:00]
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

cornish

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:19 pm

I love to fly -always have done, and am lucky enough to fly frequently for my job (and in the comfy seats). However I can understand where some enthusiasm could start to dip somewhat. I used to love taking any flight, but now when its something regular, like an evening flight from Brussels to Heathrow after an all day meeting, there's delays, you stack over London for ages as you've missed your landing slot, all you really want to do is get home and relax. Its times like that when the enthusiasm goes.

Having said that if its somewhere new (or infrequently visited) I'm flying to, or going on holiday, or experiencing a different airline I'm as enthusiastic as I ever was  Wink/being sarcastic
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Amy

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:04 am

The problem is that the really interesting stuf is at the beginnign and end of the flight. You can see the aircraft from the outside before you board, you can see ops of the airport and other aircraft moving out the window.

Once up to cruise there isn't alot to see except clouds and ground which after a while gets boring. I wouldn't complain about no PTVs although my first flight on Virgin in 1996 is very memorable because of the PTVs! They do help cure boredom especially for kids.

However Cedarjet is right, there's too much bitching on a.net. Airbus... Boeing, who cares? If someone offered me a job flying ERJs (which i hate) i'd still take it because it's flying and that's what matters, not politics and ignorant debates.

Long live aviation!
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

mozart

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:24 am

Shorthaul scenario 1, I love it: Get to the airport without traffic jams, check-in without queue 1 minute before deadline, whisk through security without taking shoes off, spend 10 mins in empty lounge with free WLAN and a real food buffet, board through jetway, have crew smile at me and put my coat on a hanger, window seat in front but not bulkhead, two pillows, no screaming kids, push back on time, then beautiful weather over the Alps enroute, decent food on real china and real cutlery, land on time, deboard through jetway, have no luggage to wait for, sit in a cab 10 mins later, arrive home another 25 mins later. GREAT!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Happens actually quite often.

Scenario 2, I hate it:: try to check-in for window seat over internet and get assigned aisle seat with remark "you won't be able to change this", get in a dirty cab with driver no other way to the airport than through traffic jam, arrive there with luggage, no trolleys in sight, haul to check-in area, first gentlemam asking for ticket/passport, go to check-in, wait in line, approach check-in desk, second person to ask for ticket/passport, get assigned aisle seat "because this is what you chose on internet", then be told that plane is 1hour 30 mins late, go to immigration and security, thrid person to ask for ticket/passport 1 meter before immigration counter, approach immigration counter, fourth person to ask for ticket/passport, walk another 2 meters tosecurity, fifth person to ask for ticket/passport, sit in lounge, no seats left, only brethzels on "buffet", watch screens that only say "delay" instead of ETD, lounge personnel refuses to look up rotation of plane and whether ETD is realistic, finally be called for boarding 2 hours later, stand at gate another 20 minutes, sixth person to ask for ticket/passport, wait in non-air conditioned bus for 20 minutes with outside temp of 29 degrees C, drive to plane, at door, seventh person to ask for ticket/passport, plane is a CRJ (that is the worst part!) :-( ), no space for anything, seat next to me occupied by overweight and smelly guy who snores immediately, crying babies behind me, stewardess looks like an East German weightlifter, fly through turbulance, land with 2,5 hours delay, wait another 20 mins for luggage, find that luggage is damaged, sit in another smelly taxi...... I HATE it!  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed Rarely all of these things happen all at the same time, but often times several of them together.

I'll spare you the longhaul version, but you get the picture.

Do I like flying? Often.
Do I like planes? Yes, a lot.

bully707

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:29 am

Hi all !!

Cedarjet...well said, still not all are like you!!!

Well...here are my thoughts.
When going on a trip and I'm spending my hard earned cash, I want to be treated like a VIP...!! I spend MY money on their airline, so I demand a decend service.
I don't like it, hey...I can choose a new airline.

But nothing can be worse than a 16hrs flight over the adriatic in an E-3A...the only IFE is your radar-scope...and no windows to look out of, or PTV.

So any service beats that!!  Big grin

Godspeed

Bully
"That's the good thing about the 707...it can do anything, but read!" Joe Patroni, Airport '70

captaink

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:35 am

I am sorry but the movies on airplanes aren't always worth watching. Sometimes, they show movies that I already saw, or have no intention to see.

MY IFE usually?

MY own novel, the airlines inflight magazine, my MP3 player, or a GameBoySP  Smile

Then usuallyafter the meal service if there is one, I just go to sleep.
There is something special about planes....

KALB

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:04 am

The only IFE I tune into is ATC (when available on UA) Other than that, all I need is a window seat and the shades up (thus I am happy on WN). At two years short of 50, I'm still like a little boy when it comes to flying. I like to get to the airport REAL Early, get through security, and then go do some spotting. Once on board, I peek in the flight deck, then go to my seat (in back, aft of the wings: got to watch the flaps!) Once airborne, I gaze out the window, guess the cities, rivers,lakes,airports, other airplane traffic. I get psyched for the descent and approach. If I am familiar with the arrival airport I try to figure which runway we are cleared to by how we are being vectored. I really enjoy light to moderate chop, especially cross-wind landings. After the flight, if I don't have a tight connection, I pay a visit to the flight deck and I ask lots of questions.

I love flying. It NEVER gets old.

samair

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:32 am

To be honest the most annoying thing about flying to me is the sound in the back ground! ,imagine being stuck on this 757 for 6 hours

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Erezms

that's what I don't like about flying a cramped 757 with screaming baby's personally I prefer scheduled flights!
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

aer lingus

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:07 am

I really like flying especially on the F seat on single aisle a/c.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

A999

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:38 am

There is one thing that is better than the flying itself- spending time connecting at major airports; the more time the better! My favorite place is the elevated restaurant between the terminals at LAX. I could easily spend hours there just watching planes come and go!