SNATH
Topic Author

BOS-SFO F Class For $1,000?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:35 am

I was looking at flights for a roundtrip from BOS to SFO in May and, out of interest, I also looked at F class fares. I was quoted just over $1,000 which is "only" three times more than the cheapest economy fare (that's both on UA and AA, which had identical prices on both classes). I was actually surprised as I thought it'd be much more expensive. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

AeroWesty

RE: BOS-SFO F Class For $1,000?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:40 am

Yes it's normal in these SimpliFares days. Enjoy the extra room!
International Homo of Mystery

mlsrar

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:42 am

Yes it's normal in these SimpliFares days. Enjoy the extra room!

Actually, FL has had an impact on reducing BOS transcons to LAX and SFO since their introduction of service there. DL has been vigliant about matching fares, while AA and UA have been slower to react.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

miaskies

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:45 am

To compare, check this out:

AA from MIA to BOS on 763ER First(Business/First) - Full Fare First Class:

Average Price Per Person - 828.40 USD

Now that's good!
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

SNATH
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting Mlsrar (reply 2):
Actually, FL has had an impact on reducing BOS transcons to LAX and SFO

I actually didn't know that FL were doing transcons to SFO from BOS. Very interesting. I take it this is why they bought B73Gs?

Tony

sebwhite

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:49 am

They're not doing BOS-SFO, but their service from ATL has an effect on fares from Boston. Also, when HP launched transcons (most now cancelled) from Boston, United and American had to slash their first class fares.

SNATH
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:49 am

Quoting MIASkies (reply 3):
MIASkies

Thanks. UA was quoting me $1,000 for F class BOS-ORD.

Tony

Carfield

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:50 am

Yes, "F" class fare has reduced significantly during the past year or so. The greatest thing is that you can earn the bonus miles and stuff like that... but those fares are still nonrefundable and changing then required the usual change fee.

Air Tran's business class fare is actually a bit lower than this average F fare. Since FL offers a business class product, the transcon fare is usually around $600-700RT and the fare is fully refundable. That is pretty reasonable...

However with this "F" fare reductions, some airlines have cut back F service... meals are usually served at all times, but full meals may have been replaced by snack plates during non-traditional meal time bracket. Latest example is AA's ORD-West coast flight... all the flights between 2pm and 4pm used to have dinner service, but now it is down to those snack plates... Delta's first class meals are a major disgrace... with no chocie and some DL F passengers often request a BOB menu from Y and buy a sandwich there. America West is also offering less than before.

Nevertheless with F fare reduction, these airlines hopefully can squeeze a few extra dollars from their decreasing yields in Y and encourage more F fare paying flyers. To be honest, I am more than happy to pay CO $500 O/W for the transcon service once a year...

Carfield

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:58 am

Quoting Mlsrar (reply 2):
Actually, FL has had an impact on reducing BOS transcons to LAX and SFO since their introduction of service there.

There are many other airlines, such as AS and HP which have had more of an impact on transcon nonstop fares in first than FL, which is a virtual unknown in most parts of the west, and has no nonstop transcon service in the traditional sense, if we're going to split hairs.

"SimpliFare days" was used as a euphamism in my post, not to indicate that DL came up with this idea all by themselves.

Cheers.  Smile
International Homo of Mystery