rjpieces

DL & US Shuttles: Why No Later Flights?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:54 am

I've always wondered why the Shuttles don't operate slightly later flights. From DCA-LGA, DL's last flight is at 8:30 PM and US at 9PM. Is there any reason they don't operate to 10 or 11PM?

Seeing that NYC is a 24 hour city, and DC isn't bad itself, I would think that later flights would be natural. Also, wouldn't businessmen like the option of staying late at work and catching a late flight?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

gigneil

RE: DL & US Shuttles: Why No Later Flights?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:55 am

Sound budgets at DCA preclude operating latenight flights. The field closes at 10 for departures, I believe.

N

Lindy

Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:28 am

Gigneil is right. There are no scheduled flights (departures) after 10pm. Airport is open for arrivals until midnight. But almost everyday I can hear arrivals well after 1am.

US Airways is offering flights from LaGuardia on weekdays that are scheduled to arrive at DCA at 9:55pm. Weekends are different story. Last flight from LaGuardia to DCA with US Airways arrives at 8pm.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

dutchjet

Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:57 am

There is also little demand for the late night flights, the Shuttle is all about business travel and few business people favor late night departures and arrivals - a notable exception is the LAX-NYC redeye flights.

Way back, DL (before it took over the Shuttle operation) had flights between LGA and BOS that departed around 1000PM in each direction....the LGA-BOS flight was an L1011 that flew ATL-LGA-BOS....the flights were never very full (especially that 1011 flight) except on Friday and Sunday nights when they would be packed with college students living in Boston and going to NYC to visit their parents/family. I too was in school at the time (we are talking about 20 years ago) are fares were quite cheap, about $50 roundtrip, less than half of what the shuttle charged back them.

Azul320

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:48 pm

If I'm not mistaken the shuttle routes are catered to the business traveler. It would make sense that the flights would run during business hours to the largest business cities in the US. US even recently upgraded the shuttle to all A319 which are equiped with laptop computer power ports.
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky