bhxdtw

UA Charging For Alcohol On Long Haul

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:08 pm

My fiancee just flew back to DTW via IAD from LHR and she told me that UA are now charging for alcohol on there long haul flights.. Is this the norm now with Long Haul flights with American carriers ? or is it specific to UA as a cost cutting measure ?

flybmi330

RE: UA Charging For Alcohol On Long Haul

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:14 pm

I know that US also charges for alcohol in economy on MAN-PHL. I reckon most American carriers do the same?
As yet, BA, VS and BD still offer complimentary alcoholic beverages.
Steve

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:15 pm

AA charges $5 for drinks in monkey class on any distance.

The rule of thumb on long haul is that US Carriers charge and Eurocarriers don't. This is not a new thing but has been going on for quite a few years.

[Edited 2005-03-03 15:16:04]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ushermittwoch

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:15 pm

AA charge for alcohol, too.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

ushermittwoch

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:16 pm

Starlion, you beat me to it.
 Wink
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

luv2fly

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:17 pm

UA just started charging for across the Atlantic, Pacific is still free. Also NW does not charge on its transatlantic or Pacific flights.
You can cut the irony with a knife

bhxdtw

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:21 pm

What about Continental ?

luv2fly

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:22 pm

NW us the only carrier (US that is) not charging across the pond.
You can cut the irony with a knife

bhxdtw

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:30 pm

ahhh, ok.... thanks for the info...  Smile

Spike

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:37 pm

Just order a glass of coke with ice and have a hip flask of JD plus a window seat. No problem.  Smile

PHLBOS

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:38 pm

I believe that on all domestic coach flights, regardless of carrier, alcohol is a charge item; usually $4 for beer and wine, $5 for hard liquor. The longest flights I've been on: PHL-DEN (F9), PHL-SLC (DL), & PDX-CVG (DL); a similar charging for alcohol policy was in effect.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Alitalia744

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (reply 6):
What about Continental ?

they charge you for everything. hell i'm not surprised you don't have to pay to use the bathroom yet.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Just order a glass of coke with ice and have a hip flask of JD plus a window seat. No problem.

Just be aware that this breaks federal regulations about alcohol service. All alcoholic beverages must be served by a flight attendant. You can of course give the F/A your hip flask and ask him/her to serve you, which would not break the rule.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

bhxdtw

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:43 pm

Quoting Spike (reply 9):
Just order a glass of coke with ice and have a hip flask of JD plus a window seat. No problem.

spike my fellow englishman, I do like that idea...haha...

Any ideas if EI are a good transatlantic carrier, especially if they have US customes at DUB/SNN

StarGoldLHR

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:47 pm

I asked on my recent flight, UA Started charging in January.

Everyone already makes fun of US Domestic flights.

I think this is a really bad sign for all International US airlines..

Europeans will just no - go on US airlines once the word spreads, and europeans are not as easy to win over once they have a bad opinion.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

bhxdtw

Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Quoting Alitalia744 (reply 11):
they charge you for everything. hell i'm not surprised you don't have to pay to use the bathroom yet.

Alitalia744... this I know, my closest airport is transatlantic route starved BHX... therefore if I want to fly locally direct I have a choice of either CO, or CO.. haha, not much of a selection.. though I think Uzbekistan fly a JFK route but Im not sure if you can book BHX-JFK seats...

TrappedinMKG

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:06 am

SHH! There might be airline execs lurking here! Don't give them any ideas...

bhxdtw

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:10 am

well, In my opinion the 'paying for the bathroom' idea is actually quite ryanair-ish... thats always a fun game... trying to guess what ryanair is going to simplify next..

wdleiser

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:11 am

not only do we have the weekly NWA DC9 threads, A380 threads and 787 threads, we have gotten confirmation on the *US CARRIERs charging for alchohol on long haul* threads will increasing its schedule and frequency of apperance on A.net to atleast once a week.  Smile

bhxdtw

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:14 am

haha, important subjects I dare say ?  Wink

iowa744fan

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 am

Alitalia744,

LOL! I can just picture one of those toilets they have in various cities where you have to drop a quarter or 50 cents to use it! Of course, there are two possible downsides to the airline. First, they will need to deal with the fact that passengers might find other means than using the restroom. Plus, they would need to hire someone back there to prevent passengers from holding the door for others and making each one pay! Very amusing comment Alitalia.

clipperno1

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting Flybmi330 (reply 1):
As yet, BA, VS and BD still offer complimentary alcoholic beverages.

On my last BA transatlantic flight (NOV04), during the first drink service, they asked what kind of whine I wanted with dinner...mind you I was flying cheapo WT. after dinner and whine I enjoyed a fabulous Barcadi Coke. Boy I hope they don't get a wrong idea from the US carriers....but I fear they will.
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

AMSSpotter

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:08 am

Quoting Stargoldlhr (reply 14):
Europeans will just no - go on US airlines once the word spreads, and europeans are not as easy to win over once they have a bad opinion

Although European, I'll keep flying UA whether they charge for alcohol or not. I Like their service, they always have great fares, a great FF program, good safety record and nice IFE. Alcohol is not my main decision-maker although I WILL miss the wine during dinner and the liquor afterwards  Wink

aa777jr

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:34 am

I'm glad to see that NW continues to remain consistent and doen't charge for alcohol across the pond. For some flyers, its the little things that make their decision NW. Although, I do hate that dreaded AMS layover when flying NW to Europe.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

NWAskyteam

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:44 am

NW maintained that they would not charge for liquor across the Atlantic as long as our main competitor (UA) was not charging. Now that is changed as UA is charging so don't be surprised if NW is soon to follow the lead of the rest of the American carriers. Do you think people will not fly a carrier because of it? Please, they go on a website and find a fare $10 cheaper and they book it. In my 13 years experience, the people who complain the most, want the most for the least amount. Loyal customers are that way for a myriad of reasons, it usually isn't the free liquor. I suppose there are always some, though.

bananaboy

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:52 am

Europeans will just no - go on US airlines once the word spreads, and europeans are not as easy to win over once they have a bad opinion.

I disagree. People will moan, but the majority of tourist passengers on cheap eonomy fares really wont worry about it too much.. they will either go without or just pay. I could imagine the choice of airline really still coming down to the price of the ticket above anything else.

To be fair, with the current rate of exchange too, its still often cheaper to buy a drink on the aircraft than it is at the airport.   

I asked on my recent flight, UA Started charging in January.

Yup. 1st Jan to be precise.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

akelley728

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting BHXDTW (reply 6)):

What about Continental ?

That's not entirely true. Continental is one of the only US domestic airlines that does not charge you for a meal on domestic flights. AA, UAL, NW, DL all charge you if you want a meal on a flight.

Continental was also the first legacy carrier to offer free in-flight entertainment. Until then, if you wanted to watch the IFE, you had to pay $4/$5 every time you got on board an aircraft to rent a headset to watch the movie. Now you can bring a headset on board and watch for free. If you need to buy a headset, you'll still need to fork over $5, but the headset is yours to keep.

NWAFA

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:36 am

NWAskyteam ,

Actually your "kind of right". NWA has said they will not charge as long as KLM does not charge. Has nothing to do with any other airline. The product on KLM and NWA is pretty much the same. As long as KLM is not charging, don't look for us to charge any time soon.

However I will say that the company is every day "thinking about it and looking very hard at it". Our fellow SkyTeam members, Delta and Contiential Do charge..so that brings up some more thoughts about it.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

FriendlySkies

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting AMSSpotter (reply 22):
Alcohol is not my main decision-maker although I WILL miss the wine during dinner and the liquor afterwards

Doesn't UA still give a complimentary beer or wine with dinner? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...

ltbewr

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:05 am

I know many of us like free booze, but it may make sense to charge for it, especially in the cheap seats for several reasons. Not everybody drinks alcoholic beverages for personal, religious, health reasons or not of legal drinking age, so why should they subsdise with their fares others alcohol consumption. This also may allow a chance to make sure a pax is of legal age to consume alcoholic beverages (in the USA is it 21, and generally elsewhere it's 18). It also reduces the possibility of problems from excessive alcohol use such as rude and bad beheavor, such as annoying other pax or f/a's, being a security threat, smelling bad, having to go to the loo often, guys going wild on the drink cart and so on. Of course, the most probable reason is due to the terrible financial conditions USA based airlines are in and the need for any income they can get.
If an airline want's to continue to serve free alcoholic drinks, perhaps they should have 1 or 2 'drink tickets' with each boarding pass to be used for your free drink(s), thus limiting comsuption yet not getting into money problems.

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:21 am

Europeans will just no - go on US airlines once the word spreads, and europeans are not as easy to win over once they have a bad opinion

Although European, I'll keep flying UA whether they charge for alcohol or not. I Like their service, they always have great fares, a great FF program, good safety record and nice IFE. Alcohol is not my main decision-maker although I WILL miss the wine during dinner and the liquor afterwards

As has been said. It's not really a huge deal. Free drinks would be nice but won't change my choice of carrier (typically AA). Now if only AA and BA codeshared across the pond... Wink

What I don't get is why there isn't a middle ground here? Why not make it 2 wines or 2 beers or 1 cocktail for free, then charge if you want more. This would keep costs down and decrease F/A workload (Some F/As I have spoken to say the accounting is a hassle). That would make me  veryhappy 

Edited to use the new smilie  mischievous 

[Edited 2005-03-03 20:22:38]

Trolley Dolley

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:39 am

Not everyone eats the meals either? Why should drunkards like myself subsidise them?

Don't worry, I discovered that AA charges for booze in the business class lounges as well. Paying for alcohol is not just limited to those down back.

OB1783P

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting AMSSpotter (reply 22):
Although European, I'll keep flying UA whether they charge for alcohol or not.

I'm so happy to see a European who appreciates United. I am French-American (yes, I know, such inner conflicts) and I like United best among US airlines.

On my last flight, PEK-ORD, my neighbor boarded smelling of alcohol. He had two little bottles of whisky before dinner, two bottles of red wine with dinner, and then beer to hold him until the second dinner, and then more and more.

I thought the airline was excessively generous. No one but me knew how much he drank in total, since he was served by a multitude of different people, but it was disgusting no matter what. I am sure he would have drunk less if he had to go through the cost, inconvenience and embarrassment of paying again and again.

So, indirectly, for me non-free alcohol would have made my flight better.

Incredibly, the Chinese granny behind me smoked in the lav too!
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

bananaboy

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:52 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (reply 28):
Doesn't UA still give a complimentary beer or wine with dinner? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...

Nope. Or at least on my last 2 flights this year they haven't.

http://www.unitedairlines.co.uk/qeng...avel_support/inflight/alcohol.html

And I need to correct myself... it was 6th January.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

TomFoolery

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:54 am

I would at least find it reasonable for the US carriers to at least offer a freebie with the meal, I find that a nice merlot deadens down the tastebuds just enough to be able to tolerate the main course  Smile
In all seriousness, a glass of wine or a beer can really compliment a meal nicely.

regards
tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

VSlover

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:06 am

i dont really see much of an issue with this. whenever i go anywhere, i have to pay for a beverage...a restaurant...the theater...the symphony...the opera...everywhere.

i think there isnt much of an issue with american carriers charging for alcohol...i mean the regular beverages are still complimentary.

besides, i would pay $5 for a drink in coach any day, when a regular vodka soda would set me back easily twice that amount when i hit the bars here in NYC.

alb222

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:36 am

Try flying IB.................you pay for everything, including soda and WATER on intra-European flights.

TomFoolery

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:13 am

VS,
It is important to keep in mind that you dont pay $800 to get into a restaurant. Perks are always nice!
Paper makes an airplane fly

peppes1980

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:15 am

I think the US-carries are making a big mistake.
I work in a firm where we travel a lot to
Europe, most of the employees are Europeans. All the tickets are at the high price end, full refundable in coach class. The average price is $1700.
United is one of the carries that is preferred, and I overheard at work today that since United is charging for wine, several will use some of the other Star Alliance carriers to Europe. For the regular tourist traveler that are looking for cheap tickets don’t care, but the passengers that don’t pay there own tickets, but they decide witch carrier they want to fly with will rather chose a European carries like LH, or SK that still offers free wine. The US carriers lose this battle. I will go to Europe in 5 weeks, and I will not fly United as planed, changed my flight to LH today and have one stop in Muc.
I just don’t like the idea to pay 5 buck when the price of the ticket is $1700.
Call me picky.

airgeek12

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:37 am

I think UA has always charges for alcohol in coach/economy. I think it is usually just the british airlines that serve free drinks on long-haul flights.

VSlover

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting TomFoolery (reply 37):
VS,
It is important to keep in mind that you dont pay $800 to get into a restaurant. Perks are always nice!

true, however i am paying the $800 for the fuel, limited use of space and actual transportation from point a to b.

FriendlySkies

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:10 am

Quoting TomFoolery (reply 37):
t is important to keep in mind that you dont pay $800 to get into a restaurant.

True, but you might end up paying $800 on the way out.  Wink

AMSSpotter

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting OB1783P (reply 32):
I'm so happy to see a European who appreciates United

Yep, they've always taken good care of me...I wish them well!

Quoting BananaBoY (reply 33):
Nope

Too bad because wine does compliment a meal rather nicely. I'll either have to live through it or just buy a bottle  Wink

Superfly

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:10 am

More reasons to fly the national carrier of the country I am visiting when flying international.
Doesn't suprise me that Northwest doesn't charge for booze on long hauls because Northwest is an awesome carrier. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

RyanAFAMSP

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:23 am

Though people are right when they say that charging for booze won't affect the decision of tourists to fly a certain airline, the bottom line is that the airlines aren't trying to woo tourists. They instead care about the higher yield full fare Y tickets that business travellers buy. The trashier and trashier the US carriers get, the more likely the European airlines are to cherrypick business away from the U.S. carriers.

There is just something about having to pay for booze. One final piece of glamor gone. I am going Y to Paris in May, and my business is going to Air France for this very reason! I'll pay more. I just want to be able to relax and have some wine without fiddling around with cash and change!

Boeing727flyer

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:27 am

Time to stop flying on United. They charge enough anyway...So much for the friendly skies....
Hail the mighty Boeing 727

Lufthansa

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 am

OB1783P

Quoting OB1783P (reply 32):
On my last flight, PEK-ORD, my neighbor boarded smelling of alcohol. He had two little bottles of whisky before dinner, two bottles of red wine with dinner, and then beer to hold him until the second dinner, and then more and more.

I thought the airline was excessively generous. No one but me knew how much he drank in total, since he was served by a multitude of different people, but it was disgusting no matter what

You haven't ever been on a flight to New Zealand or Australia, have you?  Smile

UAcsOKC

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:16 pm

Quoting AKelley728 (reply 26):

Continental was also the first legacy carrier to offer free in-flight entertainment.

Quoting AKelley728 (reply 26):
If you need to buy a headset, you'll still need to fork over $5, but the headset is yours to keep.

UA still offers free headsets, and they have ATC on channel 9. Of course, you don't get to keep the headset....
I love the rumble of a 727 takeoff in the morning!

chuj

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:50 pm

I believe United was the first to offer free in-flight entertainment among the legacy carriers. Unfortunately, United's press release archives don't go back further than March 2004, but I recall United making the move in the 90's and the press release stating that United was the first among the "major" US carriers to eliminate charges for headphones/IFE.

usagypsy

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:30 pm

I thinks it just cheapens the image of US carriers abroad. I'm a UA 1K frequent flyer and although I am usually in business, if I have to fly in economy from the US to Europe, I will fly on another Star carrier...

Americans in general have a much more negative impression of alcohol... I got on an early flight from Europe to the US and when I asked for a vodka tonic after take off - this was on CO, by the way - the flight attendant had the nerve to say "wow, starting early today?". I gave her a look and said "sweetheart, I have been travelling for 18 hours, its 8pm on my time clock and I've paid over $5k for this ticket, keep your opinions to yourself and get my my drink please"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos