7LBAC111
Topic Author

Are BA About To Start A LCC From LGW?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:55 am

Source: Travel Weekly

Have just read this in a recent issue of Travel Weekly.

"British Airways is expected to make a major announcement about the future of it's short-haul operations next month, insiders claim. BA's Gatwick short-haul services may soon become no-frills. BA dismissed the rumours, but did state that it's European network review is ongoing and it's conclusion is a long way off."

7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

SHUPirate1

RE: Are BA About To Start A LCC From LGW?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:02 am

Let's be real here...is there any reason for British Airways to have half of its twin-hub at Gatwick other than for a certain outdated air services agreement that their country has with the United States?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

DoorsToManual

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (reply 1):
Let's be real here...is there any reason for British Airways to have half of its twin-hub at Gatwick other than for a certain outdated air services agreement that their country has with the United States?

The yields on BA's services to the US out of LGW are trending downwards, so I don't think Bermuda II is entirely relevant to be honest - the key routes in terms of yield are all ex-LHR.

With regards to the speculation surrounding LGW shorthaul operations, for the moment, the short answer is, no one knows. I suspect only senior management at BA are privy to the options being considered.

sevenair

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:47 am

Nah, theyre cheap enough as it is on the Euro routes (if you book in time) BA Trie GO,and got shot of it, before it become successful. I dont think we're going to see a Diet BA/BA Lite. They are really good value, espite what anyone says!

petazulu

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:08 am

I don't get it about Bermuda II. Why can't the US/England just setup and open skies deal? I know a lot has to do with slot restrictions at LHR. Does Bermuda II cover all flights to and from UK/US or just ones to/from LHR. If it is just to/from LHR, then I can maybe see its use. If it is to/from everywhere- then how about opening up the rest of the country to competition?

airfrnt

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:24 am

Quoting Petazulu (reply 4):
I don't get it about Bermuda II. Why can't the US/England just setup and open skies deal? I know a lot has to do with slot restrictions at LHR. Does Bermuda II cover all flights to and from UK/US or just ones to/from LHR. If it is just to/from LHR, then I can maybe see its use. If it is to/from everywhere- then how about opening up the rest of the country to competition?

It's mostly EU politics. There was a big push for a UK/USA agreement but it was shutdown by the EU which ruled that only the EU now had the authority to make transatlantic negotiations over sky routes.

FlyCaledonian

Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:36 am

If BA scrapped the frills at LGW then it would be offering a different level of service to that of the LHR flights. BA needs to offer a consistent level of service on its shorthaul flights, even the franchise carriers must stick to this. Any changes might see the removal of Club, so that all LGW shorthaul flights were Euro Traveller only. This would enable BA to simplify crewing and cabin configurations, while maintaining a standardised Euro Traveller offering across the airline. But what we won't see is a no-frills LGW operation with an enhanced service at LHR.

BA's yields on ATL, DFW and IAH might be suffering due to greatly reduced transfer traffic at LGW. BA serves very few European business destinations from LGW now. Obviously BA would love to operate these flights from LHR, but cannot.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

BMED

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:51 am

Would we see more citiexpress flights with a new regional jet fleet been in the not to distance future?
Living the jetset life! No better way to be