7e72004

TZ And WN's Frequent Flyer Programs Question

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:41 am

At some point, does anyone think that both airlines will create a "common" frequent flyer program in that passengers will be able to use flight credits/miles on either airline? Obviously now, the programs are separate and a little different, but with the code share in place it would almost make sense to have a common program.

p.s. If WN wanted to, could they get their 737s etops certified to fly, let's say, LAX-HNL? thanks and cheers  Big grinD
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

SWAFA30

RE: TZ And WN's Frequent Flyer Programs Question

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:58 am

Anything is possible. In my opinion...TZ has the most the lose should the programs marry. SWA's FF program RapidRewards is extremely simple. 8 round trips in a 12 month period and the Customer earns a free round trip anywhere in the SWA system. Fly 50 round trips and the Customer earns a Companion Pass which allows them to bring a designated companion on a confirmed ticket...free of charge whenever the Frequent Flyer travels for an entire year. RapidRewards only has a handful of Blackout dates and zero capacity controls...if there is a seat available on an SWA flight...it can be booked using an award ticket.

SWA RapidReward members have become accustomed to a certain level of flexiblity...any attempt to change the way the program operates...will be met with vehment protests from SWA's most loyal Customers.

As I'm sure you can imagine, they are chomping at the bit to use their award tickets on TZ flights to HNL, etc. The main benefit of the codeshare for ATA is an increase in revenue from paying Customers. Having to expend precious resources to operate flights to arguably low-yield destinations filled with SWA Customer's traveling on award tickets is the last thing ATA needs right now as they struggle to right the ship.

NWAFA

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:31 am

I just do not see Southwest flying into HNL or any where in Hawaii'. The Rapid rewards people would eat up the seats as Southwest does not have a certain amount of seats they allow on each flight to be used as giveaways. They would be giving away almost every seat if that was the case.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

N1120A

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting 7E72004 (reply 0):
If WN wanted to, could they get their 737s etops certified to fly, let's say, LAX-HNL?

They could, it is just a matter if they want to.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

7e72004

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:57 am

Does anyone think that ATA will eventually get "absorbed" into WN? (I know WN will not take the planes but some of the routes are tempting especially Hawaii).
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

ssides

Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting 7E72004 (reply 4):
but some of the routes are tempting especially Hawaii

Hawaii is not a tempting route, especially in the context of WN's Rapid Rewards system. Hawaii is excruciatingly low-yield, and without changes to the Rapid Rewards system, WN would lose millions flying the route (I doubt any pax would be paying passengers).

For example, I could fly six round-trips from AUS to HOU (WN's shortest route -- 148 miles) and earn a free flight to Hawaii (which from ATA's MDW hub is 4252 miles). WN isn't going to let someone fly 1800 miles and earn a 8400 round-trip flight.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

ATA767

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:35 pm

They would not combine the FF programs. If you by the ticket through WN websites you get credit on WN and same if ATA's site is used. SWA might want to offer specials that would offer reduced travel to Hawaii on ATA. WN would have to get ovens and offer hot meals and more FA's to compete in that market,that could make it low yielding for them.