rootsair

Around The World On A Solar Powered Plane?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:02 am

Fly with the sun

What a beautiful concept. This should become true when the Swiss physician Bertran Piccard, first man to fly around the world on a baloon with Brian jones will fly a Solar power plane around the world .His family has an adventurous heritage

"His objective is to use a great human adventure for an improvement that will promote the survival of the planet"

The project's name plane's name will be "solar impulse"

He will get the support of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, EPFL, the swiss equivalent of MIT. The big difficulty is to be able to store enought energy to fly during the night .
The first tests should start in 2007 and he hopes to fly by 2009

A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

rootsair

RE: Around The World On A Solar Powered Plane?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:38 pm

could anyone tell me if Brian Jones will join the adventure?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:31 pm

What about Nights.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

rootsair

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:41 pm

The solar pannels will be specially designed to store enough energy to run the night. That's the biggest challenge and expalins why the flight won't take place before a long time.
Regards