turboprop

Main Landing Gear

Sun Apr 02, 2000 8:18 am

I've noticed on a 747 (all types) that the landing gear located on the outside hang on quite an angle compared to the inside gear. Why is this? What advantages does it give. As well the angled gear is on even smaller a/c like the A330 , 757 etc. Than on the Dc 10, MD-11 the gear don't hang on an angle. They appear to sit straight. As well on the 767's the gear hang on an angle but the opposite angle. They point slightly downward not upward.

Apart from always asking questions, I love this site an appreciate all your input. Later

RE: Main Landing Gear

Sun Apr 02, 2000 8:45 am

There is really no reason for this in the landing performance way. It is done so the wheels fit in the wheel well boeing designed.
Iain

VC-10

Sun Apr 02, 2000 9:27 am

It also helps create a smoother landing.

On some a/c the truck trails when the gear is down but on gear retraction the truck is leveled before the actual retraction commences. The A340 is one such a/c.

Hamlet69

Sun Apr 02, 2000 1:47 pm

I don't really have an answer, but I do have an interesting thing to note. When the new 777-300LR comes out, watch the gear carefully on takeoff. Boeing has designed it to be a kind of lever as the plane lifts off. I'm not sure of the exact term, but it is supposed to kind of tip-toe off the ground. This is done to increase the angle of takeoff and still preventing tail strikes. Can't wait to see. Anyone with more detailed info, I'd love to hear a more precise explaination.

Hamlet69
Honor the warriors, not the war.