rootsair

Clapping On Landing....I Love It

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:07 pm

This is one thing i love.....but that seems to have disappeared for a while befrore making its comeback.

Back in the 1980's and early 90's when i flew an airplane people would clap on landing. Some would even cheer.
After that i never heard a single clap on a landing.....I told myself it was a shame this practise ended.
Whether I was in europe, Lat am or US it had disappeared.

However, this summer i went to South America and on the GRU-EZE flight people clapped when we got to EZE.
Same from IGR to APQ it was the same.

Then in europe on my LIS-GVA last opctober and CIA-GVA last january, people clapped as well

1) Do you also clap when your airplane lands ?

2) Is it me or did this practise become less popular for a while before restarting ?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

QANTAS747-438

RE: Clapping On Landing....I Love It

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:16 pm

Clapping on an airplane during landing has got to be the most bizarre form of human appreciation. Why would you clap during landing?! Do you clap when your boat pulls up to the dock? Do you clap when the subway comes to a halt at your station? Do you feel a burning need to clap when the elevator opens at your floor?

I just don't get it! When I hear clapping on an airplane, that tells me that the people had such little confidence in the crew that they were so amazed that the plane landed, that they actually DID get it on the ground. They feel the need to clap as if to say, "I didn't think we'd make it there for a minute, but then we did! I'm impressed!" To me, clapping on landing should be restricted to planes performing an emergency landing.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

TriStar500

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:23 pm

QANTAS747-438 took the words right out of my mouth.  Smile

In Germany, it used to be very common on charter flights in former times (until about the mid 1990's), i.e. on flights with a relatively high number of inexperienced and infrequent flyers. In recent years, this habit has virtually dissapeared for good.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

mariner

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:26 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (reply 1):
To me, clapping on landing should be restricted to planes performing an emergency landing.

What a dull ol' world that would be.

I love flying to Puerto Rico and I join in the clapping when we land. Sure, a small part of it is to say thanks for getting us safely back to earth, but the much bigger part is appreciation of a job well done.

It used to be, on ocean liners, that on the night before docking a huge party was held to thank the crew for a job well done. You can't do that on a plane, but the principle is the same.

So if it is a "good" landing, anywhere in the world, I clap, even if I'm the only one doing it. Sometimes others join in, sometimes they just smile. Some, I'm sure, think I'm deranged.

But it adds a teeny bit of color to the world.

If it is a "bad" landing, I don't clap.

You know - like going to a show. If it is good, I clap. If it is bad, I boo.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Ryanair!!!

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:59 pm

The latest experience i had was on a Gulf Air A340 flight from Singapore - Sydney in Jul 2004. There were mostly Arabs on my plane and they clapped too!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

A340600

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (reply 1):
Do you clap when your boat pulls up to the dock? Do you clap when the subway comes to a halt at your station? Do you feel a burning need to clap when the elevator opens at your floor?

I think landing an aircraft takes much more!

In my opinion, it's very cheery when everyone claps and the crew smile and say thankyou, it is showing them appreciation, now that the flight has come to and end. I don't tend to clap, however, if others start, I will join in.

The Italians are especially known for this. My last expererience of this was on a BA 737-436, after routing NAP-LGW. Even though it was gone midnight local time the group of Italians behind us bust into applause after TAKEOFF and landing. The British passengers all looked a bit puzzled then joined in. By the time we landed the whole cabin was in applause, very funny,

Sam:DD
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Orion737

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:27 pm

They use to clap like mad on charter flights in the 80s. I never new why. It was the only flight of the year for many that annual Dan Air 727 to the sun, so they were all excited I suppose.

I never joined in the clapping. I expect the pilot to land me safely not suprised that he does!

I put it down to the jovial, friendly atmosphere on those sunseeker flights. I havent experienced and communal hand clapping on scheduled flights, were passengers are a bit more reserved.

mats

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:21 pm

I love this custom. I think it's very sweet. There used to be a TV ad for El Al that actually showed a little girl clapping when the 747 landed.

Lately, I've found that passengers will clap if the flight is badly delayed and finally lands.

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:24 pm

So if it is a "good" landing, anywhere in the world, I clap, even if I'm the only one doing it. Sometimes others join in, sometimes they just smile. Some, I'm sure, think I'm deranged.

But it adds a teeny bit of color to the world.

If it is a "bad" landing, I don't clap.

And what exactly are your criteria for determining if it was a "bad" landing. Just because the pilots didn't grease it doesn't make it a bad landing. It may be a very good landing but feel rough to you.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Airplanepics

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:26 pm

I find that it's mainly the US flights that clap on landing, It brings a nice atmospohere to the cabin!
Simon - London-Aviation.com

pelican

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:28 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (reply 2):
In recent years, this habit has virtually dissapeared for good.

I can assure you this habit still exists in Germany. On my last flight TFS / GCTS), Spain">TFS-TXL / EDDT), Germany">TXL in January on AB the passengers clapped although the landing was relatively rough. crazy

pelican

[Edited 2005-03-04 13:29:00]

Biggles

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:42 pm

I only clap if I get the whole can....  Wink

Smile

parisien

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:42 pm

a couple of times on alitalia, the pax clapped after the plane arrived....i think it is more to show appreciation of a job well done to the crew and not for "thank goodness you got us here even tho I did not think you would for a minute" !!! the crew also seems to appreciate it, so why not if the service is good, the landing particularly smooth, and the captain has been nice enough to point out interesting points along the route.

ZRH

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:52 pm

Why should I clap after landing? Actually I expect a safe landing, that's the job of the pilots. If it was exceptional I would not board a plane. I find clapping after landing most stupid and embarrassing. I think only charter passengers who fly once a year do it. Do you clap when your train stops at the train station, or the taxi at the airport?

[Edited 2005-03-04 13:56:19]

komododx

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:55 pm

Get on any plane from Europe to Orlando/Miami and you'll get your wish.

I wish I would get clapped at my work... Nonetheless, if you look around when people clap, you can tell the people that do are on their very first flight.

Stefano
I'm homeless and unemployed

miaskies

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:56 pm

Like in many other parts of the world, Clapping upon landing is a very big deal in Latin American culture!

Being Puerto Rican, it is not uncommon at all to hear 230 passengers on an American Airlines A300-600R burst out in clapping and cheers upon landing at SJU! To many people, they look at it as a job well done and as homage to a group of elite professionals. The aviation community (pilots, officers, flight attendants) are still (and should be!) looked at as professionals with a very elite and prestigious job...
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

luv2fly

Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (reply 2):
In Germany, it used to be very common on charter flights in former times (until about the mid 1990's), i.e. on flights with a relatively high number of inexperienced and infrequent flyers. In recent years, this habit has virtually disappeared for good.

In the USA back in the 80's and 90's on charter flights I experienced this as well, now not as much.
You can cut the irony with a knife

sevenair

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:00 pm

we dont do it here in the UK, i fly regularly, on LCCs, Full service, interisland hops, and ive only had one flight-it was a 12 hour delay, on landing in PMI-i DC-10 (in chater config!) with everyone clapping, was cool!!!!!!

su

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:11 pm

Russians love to do that. If you are in russian airplane, then you will see everyone clapping after the landing - just another way of saying thanks for landing...
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

airways

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:18 pm

Do you know the best about clapping... In the cockpit, you don't even hear it!!

I once left the flightdeck after a landing and a pax asked me about the clapping. But no, you didn't hear it in the front office...

Michael

KFLLCFII

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:22 pm

Quoting SU (reply 18):
Russians love to do that. If you are in russian airplane, then you will see everyone clapping after the landing - just another way of saying thanks for landing...

If I was on a russian plane, believe me I'd be clapping after a successful landing  rotfl 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

JHSfan

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:47 pm

I can only think of a few good reasons for clapping after landing:

• The safety level of the airline is so lousy that getting down in one piece without injuries is a miracle.
  • Most of the passengers have a phobic fear when it comes to flying. That would make the clapping a kind of collective debriefing.
  • The passengers are (African?) musicians, who has been singing and playing all the time during flight.

Personally I would like to see some landings like the one in the Heineken ad.  rotfl 

Yours in realtime
JHSfan
Look at me, I´m riding high, I´m the airbornmaster of the sky...

su

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:57 pm

Good one KFLLCFII  Smile
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

QANTASLINK

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:27 pm

I don't clap but I always say "thank you for a safe flight" to the crew as I leave the aircraft. They always smile and nod in appreciation for that. Always, any airline, any flight.

sevenair

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:33 pm

yeah, i ALWAYS say thanks, but where im from, we say thanks to our bus drivers too  Smile

A319114

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:34 pm

Last time I experienced clapping was on a LX flight, ZRH-JFK in July 2003. I always find it rather funny.
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

777STL

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:45 pm

Must be a cultural thing or maybe commercial aviation has become so routine in the United States that flying is no longer an "event". I've never been on a flight where people have clapped.

PHX based

AM744

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:57 pm

Like in many other parts of the world, Clapping upon landing is a very big deal in Latin American culture!

I've flown quite a few times intra-Mexico and have yet to hear clapping upon arrival. It might happen once in a while, but in my experience it isn't that common, would be interesting to hear other lat-am a.netters.

sevenair

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:01 am

i think its dead now, in most places as flying on the airlines is very sterile, proceduralised and pretty boring. A lot like going on National Express. Its nothing special these days here in the UK. Ive flown 7 times in the past 8 weeks, and im a poor student, 10 years ago theres no way i could have done this. What im saying is that flying is now just a way of getting about. ITs nothing to look forward to. Its nothing exclusive, exciting or special to most people.

jmc757

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:11 am

I have experienced this twice. The first time was travelling BHX-TFS a few years back with Airtours, we had been delayed 5 hours. However, everyone was in good spirits, the cabin crew were joking with passengers all flight etc... and I think thats why it was. It seemed quite apt. The captain then came on and said something like "Thankyou for flying Airtours we are pleased to eventually get you to Tenerife today". Thats the sort of flight it had been, so it seemed more of a humour thing and not out of place.

I then experienced it last summer coming home PMI-BHX with European Aircharter. The flight was on-time, smooth eventless everything seemed normal. Then we land at BHX and the cabin bursts into round of applause. Seemed very odd, out of place and just really weird! Maybe it was because people were just happy to be home safe after 2 hours on a 30 year old 732! You could sense unease about the airline/aircraft both outbound and inbound amongst many passengers...

Matt27

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:13 am

Last time that I can remember was on a DK A330-300 GOT-LPA in Dec 2002 - but of course it was a charter flight...
I'm not a big fan of it and I totally agree with QANTAS747-438
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

nycflyer

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:19 am

the one time I heard clapping was on an AA flight from MIA to GUA.

I generally associate clapping with inexperienced people who don't fly very often. Or drunk people on EasyJet (come to think of it, a large inebriated stag party group cheered on LTN-BUD as well)

stpeterc

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:13 am

The loudest clapping I've ever heard was on a UA flight from MIA to HAV. It was deafening and given the political situation between the two countries, quite poinant.

Chris

ltbewr

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:21 am

Part of the clapping may be people arriving at their 'home' country, that they have arrived safely at a destination they were born in, have family living at or have an affection for - that is to say 'horray, I'm home!.

N751PR

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:26 am

In all except one of my PR flights, there was always clapping upon landing. For me, I see it as a courtesy to the flight crew for taking the passengers to their desinations safely. Smile I guess it's a tradition...and a tradition I like. Big grin

EDIT: I just remembered, on my QX flight to EUG from SEA some passengers tried to spark the tradition again and of course I joined in. I dunno again I associate it with courtesy and I would definitely continue this. Big grin

[Edited 2005-03-04 17:28:55]
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

aogdesk

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:26 am

Do you feel a burning need to clap when the elevator opens at your floor?

Thats precious....the coffee that was in my mouth has now exited my nose and the keyboard is a mess.

Thanks for the laugh, send a check for the keyboard.

N751PR

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting Aogdesk (reply 35):
Do you feel a burning need to clap when the elevator opens at your floor?

Um.........not really.  Wink Besides I just realized, I'd expect more of this kind of stuff from fellow enthusiasts. I mean we enjoy flying, don't we? Isn't flying the cornerstone of what we love? Isn't like landing the equivalent to the end of a fantastic concerto? Well at least to me it is...but then again that's just me. spin 
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

HR001

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:42 am

It happens very often a TGU, especially if you land in bad weather, or after a thunderstorm. People who are not aware of the difficult approach tend to stare at the people who clap.

Hr001

FlyingDove

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:49 am

People still clap on landing at TLV- especially on El Al flights but on Continental as well. Sometimes, you're just happy to be somewhere and need to express it.

burnsie28

Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:53 am

Ive only had it a couple times, one being just after landing in DTW from Den

The last time was after landing in Memphis, it was one hell of a landing, I dont know if anybody other then the two upfront knew we landed, we couldnt feel a fricken thing.

LordHowe

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:08 am

It has been very common on Finnish charters - and very annoying. Don't know if they still do it because I haven't done any charters for quite a long time now. The stupid thing was that they started clapping as soon as the plane had touched the ground. Anything could happen after that too ...

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

lincoln

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting RootsAir (reply 0):
1) Do you also clap when your airplane lands ?

On my first Comair RJ flight late last year the guy next to me burst into applause. That was the first and only time I've ever heard applause.

Then again he was also screaming "What is the pilot, drunk or on drugs?" and "I just know we're going to crash...we're never going to make it" for the entire flight from DTW to CVG.

Aparently it was his first time on a "damn tiny plane" so the ride was a little bit bumpier than he was used to. Man was I glad to see that flight end.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

mika

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:24 am

If I was on a russian plane, believe me I'd be clapping after a successful landing

A comment uncalled for i'd say. What would make "a russian plane" (how do you define that by they way, a russian airline or an A/C manufactured in russia?) any unsafer than a American/european? I assume that is what you are insinuating here.

..back to the topic! I agree with those of you here that dont like the clapping, i think it just gives a strange signal, like someone put, would i clap when i step out of the elevator or when the bus stops at the bus stop? Certainly not  Smile However if it is an emergency landing or a very delayed landing i can understand it more. Once we landed 2 hours late in FRA from our flight from Almaty and people clapped when we landed, in that kind of situation it is understandable.

rootsair

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:24 am

Quoting N751PR (reply 36):
Isn't flying the cornerstone of what we love? Isn't like landing the equivalent to the end of a fantastic concerto? Well at least to me it is...but then again that's just me. spin

Ah that's sooo well said

I could not agree more with you

[Edited 2005-03-04 18:25:24]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

AlitaliaMD11

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:31 am

I notice that on most of my Iberia flights the passengers always clap when we land. Also I have noticed this on Air Europa flights. Maybe a Spanish thing.

The one airline that I always heard it on when I flew was TWA.

I have to say I do not clap much, except for the landings that I find amazing, only two of those. I clapped when the piliot of my AEA flight saved us from ditching at the end of the runway (only one clapping)
No Vueling No Party

richierich

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:46 am

I don't get the clapping thing on landing either. I always assumed it was for a job well done more than "Thank God we landed safely - let's clap!"

I guess it depends on who the passengers are, how long the flight is, and where the flight is landing. It is easy for me to envision a plane full of holidaymakers clapping when they arrive at Corfu than it is a somber passenger load disembarking a New York - Cleveland flight!
None shall pass!!!!

chilledflyer

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:49 am

My first and only time hearing passengers applausing during a landing was back in 1993 on a flight from SHA-HKG on China Eastern A300. I don't think it was that surprising at all back then because of the poor safety record clouding over most Chinese domestic carriers, besides we were literally landing on the roofs of buildings, with those factors in mind, who wouldn't clap after a nerve racking 3-hour flight??

--chilledflyer--
Justice delayed, Justice denied

JAM747

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:05 am

I see nothing wrong in applauding the crew when a plane lands. No matter what we do for a living it is always feels good when our customers/clients etc show their appreciation to us. Even though we were expected to do our jobs well. Simple kind gestures can go a long way in making someone feel appreciated. If you don't want to clap, don't, it is that simple.

N751PR

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:11 am

Quoting JAM747 (reply 47):
I see nothing wrong in applauding the crew when a plane lands. No matter what we do for a living it is always feels good when our customers/clients etc show their appreciation to us. Even though we were expected to do our jobs well. Simple kind gestures can go a long way in making someone feel appreciated.

Agreed! After a stressful day, it truly does feel good to have some appreciation leak out into to cabin... Smile

EDIT, I seem to be somewhat addicted to this thread...^^;;

[Edited 2005-03-04 19:11:58]

A340600

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:13 am

and ive only had one flight-it was a 12 hour delay, on landing in PMI-i DC-10

MYT by any chance  mischievous 

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!