matt

Air Transat A310s - Problems?

Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:18 am

Just heard on the news that TS had a problem with one of its A310 on its way from VRA to YQB. Looks like several planes were temporarily grounded this weekend. That must have thrown a wrench in TS's operations. Any details from TS insiders? Any news on how they're catching up?

Here's a link to the story: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/06/transat050306.html
Next flights: YQM-YYZ-YOW v.v. / YQM-CUN v.v. / YQM-YUL-YWG v.v. / YSJ-YYZ-SEA-SFO / SFO-YYZ-YOW-YQM / YQM-YYZ-MUC-TXL /

BWIA330

RE: Air Transat A310s - Problems?

Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:16 pm

Heads up FLL spotters,

Zoom has their 767-300 to fill for the Air Transat A310. This is terrible news with Air Transat and their A310's. I guess they are probably going to go ahead with those rumours and switch to boeing aircraft.

Regards,

BWIA330

sebring

Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:50 pm

Much more disturbing is the rumor going around that US authorities refused the flight permission to land in the US. The plane was 30 minutes outbound from Havana heading northward, and would have been closer to a US airport than Havana. What we don't know is the gravity of the rudder problem. If this was a severe problem, I would expect the international community to have major concerns with this incident.

BWIA330

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Yeah. I am very curious on how severe the rudder problem was. I mean if it was slightly falling off, then I would assume that that is something serious.

Regards,

BWIA330

No wonder I saw them inspecing a 2 of TS A310 rudders yesturday in YYZ. Two A310's were being inspected yesturday while I was at work.

jc2354

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:37 pm

I know there was a diversion early on Sunday. An A310, from Punta Cana diverted to Norfolk. Don't remember the flight number or destination. It was on FlyteComm, but I can't find it anywhere now.
If not now, then when?

squad55

Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Could this be related to the AA A300 rudder problem? Is the 300 / 310 rudder similar?

matt

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:47 pm

They seem to be back on track schedule wise. YYZ had a lot of delays yesterday, and today YUL has slight delays. Their A310 made it to YHZ for its Monday through Wednesday flights.

So Zoom helped out? Didn't they need that plane for their own flights?
Next flights: YQM-YYZ-YOW v.v. / YQM-CUN v.v. / YQM-YUL-YWG v.v. / YSJ-YYZ-SEA-SFO / SFO-YYZ-YOW-YQM / YQM-YYZ-MUC-TXL /

yhz78

Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:06 pm

TS and Z4 fly a lot of similar routes, is it possible that they just had open seats to fill? Or did they actually wet lease them a plane for a few days?
Canada Rocks! From the west coast to the best coast!

bennett123

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:16 am

Given that the aircraft are back in service, presumably this was a minor problem.

I seem to remember an incident where Concorde lost part of a rudder.

matt

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 am

Lindy

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:45 am

I saw yesterday Air Transat A310 flying south over Wash DC. I even took picture of it  Smile
DCA gets boring at times, and then people start doing contrail shots  Smile
Picture of Air Transat A310 was taken around 4:20pm
http://home.comcast.net/~maxkeshani/dca4.jpg

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:09 am

"Given that the aircraft are back in service, presumably this was a minor problem."

This is NOT a minor incident! Far from it. For God sake, the entire rudder assembly almost detached from the fuselage. WHEN is Tranpsort Canada going to wake up and get its act together re industry watchdog, and execute the functions and duties they are supposed to in regards to pax and crew safety. I don't know if this particular A310 was ex-LH, but it should not be a factor re this incident. It's not about age, it's all about proper and regulated maintenance practices and procedures which bloody well should be constantly monitored by M.O.T. After all, Air Canada, for example, has numerous B767 aircraft much older than the TSA310's flying, and I don't see their rudder assembly's detaching or semi-detaching.

And before anyone starts singing the proverbial praises about Canada's wonderful civil air safety infrastructure, remember that we're talking about a Canadian Government body that allowed Nationair Canada to operate under
the most atrocious and unprofessional internal conditions which directly led to the Jeddah disaster of 1990, not to mention too many near incidents with Nationair revenue flights. Nationair was a carrier which should have had it's Goddamned license pulled LONG before it closed shop, for too many reasons to go into here. Transport Canada was absolutely negligent in allowing this carrier to operate. Period. Who's running the show in Ottawa, for God sake?

Why is it that almost every Canadian registered aircraft incident or near incident nearly always points back towards Quebec maintenance base operations and procedures? And I won't even get started with Michel LeBlanc and Jetsgo ops.

This Air Transat incident should be a huge wake up call for M.O.T. It should also be a huge wake up call for the industry and the revenue generating pax. TS's press release is all roses - everything back to normal, as one would expect from any carrier with an incident this serious, the timing of which is horrible for TS, given the just announced class action lawsuite settlement with the group of Pax from TS236.

If, and I repeat, IF, Air Transat is negligent in safety/maintenance ops, then we should be counting on our Federal governing body to step in and execute procedures that will ensure TS is adhering to said implemented Canadian civil avaition maintenance guidelines. In my opinion, M.O.T should be thinking of suspending TS's ops certificate, lock down the fleet and go over their aircraft and maitenance ops with a fine tooth comb. There is obviously something seriously amiss here.

What is it going to take to bring Canada back to the level re civil aviation safety standards? Another TS236 near miss? Another Nationair Jeddah?
And when are the Canadian travelling public going to be non-complacent?

BWIA330

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:30 am

Not only Air Transat, but Jetsgo as well. On friday, apparently a flight to winnipeg on the Md-83 returned to the gate in yyz after it started it takeoff roll and the engine blew up. Fuel was leaking all on the side of the aircraft and all over the tarmac. Now if one little spark had hit that trail of jet fuel, that plane would have been history. Transport Canada is lacking on their duties.

Regards,

BWIA330

sebring

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:45 am

Why is it that almost every Canadian registered aircraft incident or near incident nearly always points back towards Quebec maintenance base operations and procedures? And I won't even get started with Michel LeBlanc and Jetsgo ops.

You are aware that Air Canada has its largest maintenance base in Quebec. On the one hand you compliment the state of its older aircraft, then you slag Quebec-based carrier maintenance. Right now, three of the countries' five largest airlines happen to be based in Quebec. Canjet is based in Halifax, but it is also the smallest. Westjet is based in Calgary, and has been able to buy a lot of new aircraft. But nobody has a monopoly on trouble. The issue of lax MOT oversight is a valid subject of debate, but not one that should be considered through a prism of regionalism or prejudice.

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:55 am

BWIA330, relax, TS should not replace their A310's with Boeings because of this incident. What if they get Boeings and they have an incident with them? Go back to L1011's? Oh wait, they've had incidents too!

Canadi>nBoy, I believe (and hope) that you are overreacting. Transat did the right thing by temporarily grounding the A310's while inspections with the help of Transport Canada were done on the rudders. Every airline has incidents, and it is far too early to point the fingers at Transat's maintenance because of this rudder problem. This A310 is still in old colours, which leads me to believe it was due for heavy maintenance in the next little while, so perhaps it hadn't been inspected for a while.

What really bugs me is that American ATC did not allow the aircraft to land in the USA, and it had to fly further to Cuba, which not only puts the aircraft in greater risk due to longer flight time, plus far inferior conditions in which to lodge passengers, and do maintenance on the aircraft.

Anyways, I have complete faith in Air Transat. Their complaints are down, their delays are way down, they seem to have put a lot of emphasis on a good operation. But, let's see a pic of this aircraft, just for the sake of interest ......

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

yul332LX

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting Canadi>nBoy (reply 11):
Why is it that almost every Canadian registered aircraft incident or near incident nearly always points back towards Quebec maintenance base operations and procedures? And I won't even get started with Michel LeBlanc and Jetsgo ops

...because most maintenance bases are located in Quebec perhaps?  sarcastic 
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:58 am

An edit to my post:

Apparently the crew did not understand the severity of the condition, and chose to return to Cuba, since they had maintenance there.

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Orion737

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:01 am

Air Transat seems to be in the news regularly. First the 330 and now the 310. I think I will take Air Canade next time!

For a relativley small airline, they do have their share of incidents.

BWIA330

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:07 am

I didnt mean it like that Captaingomes. And who are you telling to relax. LOL people get so worked up in here. But anyways, that damage looks very serious to me. Who took the pic and where is the plane right now?

Regards,

BWIA330

IslandHopperCO

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:16 am

Yikes!!! Pardon my ignorance of the physics of flight, but can a plane actually fly and be controlled in that condition? Obviously so...I'm amazed.

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:17 am

I'm just saying to relax because of this:

Quoting BWIA330 (reply 1):
I guess they are probably going to go ahead with those rumours and switch to boeing aircraft.

Regards,

BWIA330

I wasn't worked up, its those who wont fly TS because of an incident that are worked up, or who suggest switching aircraft manufacturers because of an incident.  Wink Let's face it, this made the news primarily because Transat made the correct move by grounding the a/c temporarily. This is the right thing to do, but it gets noticed.

BWIA330

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:31 am

I do believe air transat did the right thing. Atleast they have the balls to report things to transport Canada unlike Jetsgo. They are actually my favourite charter airline and I fly with them atleast 2 times a year. But there has been many rumours of them swtiching to an all boeing fleet because they got a better deal.

Regards,

BWIA330

yul332LX

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting BWIA330 (reply 21):
But there has been many rumours of them swtiching to an all boeing fleet because they got a better deal.

A better deal from whom? Boeing? Aircraft lessors?

Doesn't really make sense...
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:44 am

BWIA, are you still with Jetsgo? I hope things are going well there with you, regardless of whether they are perfect or not, it must be an experience to be there.

By the way, I've heard about TS possibly switching to Boeings. My belief is that they were waiting for the class action lawsuit to be settled, and given that insurance picked up the tab, the pile of cash they are sitting on will be used for something soon. An aircraft order is inevitable in my opinion, and I wouldn't be shocked to see 787's join the fleet at some point. Either that, or A350's.

Cheers, Nuno

Cessnapimp

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:51 am

My dad said Boeings are better 'cause their tails stay on...

...my doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there

-Ralf Wiggum

Just came back from a LAS turn out of YUL and heard of this... I think it's pretty bad. Rudder gone? Hello? Like... umm... yeah...

Off to bed...

jc2354

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:52 am

Why did American ATC not allow them to land in the US?
If not now, then when?

lymanm

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:59 am

My question is, why/what grounds did the FAA refuse landing to the TS flight? Had they not declared an emergency?
buhh bye

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:03 am

I think it's just a rumour about US ATC. The crew might not have realized the severity of the situation and opted to return to Cuba. Thus, I doubt they declared an emergency, as they would have been allowed to land in the U S of A

matt

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:25 am

Whoa! Let's not compare TS with NX (Nationair)! I worked as an f/a for NX and let me tell you that there is no comparison to be made with TS. NX did not care at all about maintenance. Their planes were in awful shape, the incidents were too numerous to count, and the delays innumerable.

I must, however, admit that the tail looks pretty bad on that picture!

manu

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:29 am

Wow, I can't believe it lost virtually all of its rudder. Luckily it sheered off a long time after departure and didn't deflect the air in a strange way to put the flight characteristics in chaos.

There have been a lot of incidents with Canadian airlines recently. Considering the only two modern aircraft to have ever run out of fuel midflight have both been Canadian. Mind you, they both landed safely, despite the one running an ETOPS route.

BWIA330

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:33 am

Hey,

Yeah im still with Jetsgo. I just wish that we would get rid of our aging fleet and get modern aircraft such as A320's or 73G's.

Regards,

BWIA330

[Edited 2005-03-07 20:36:26]

Tomys

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:40 am

This story somewhat worries me  frown 

rootsgirl

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:57 am

Firstly, it has to be a rumor that the US denied them landing. Imagine the legal reprecussions if this was true or resulted in a fatality. I just cannot see this is factual. Maybe Transat elected to return to Cuba.

I agree with Canadian Boy...l am sick of MOT and the Canadian Regulators, they may sit there all quiet in the cushy government roles, however that is where the buck stops. How typically '' Canadian'' to be a fence sitter. They need to up the anti on Canadian regs and what the carriers are allowed to get away with from duty days to maintenance. Even 5G scares me at times with all the MELs...if it is MEL then darn well fix it because it is MEL for a reason!

They are all finger painting pretty picutres but at whose expense? The fact that Capt Piche was made a hero and the Transat incident was nicely buried said so much about the way things work here in Canada. And no disrespect to anyone who works for Transat, Jetsgo, even Skyservice, but....due to the lax regs, it is a matter of time of one of our carrers have a fatality more severe than the Azores or the Jetsgo incident.

I am under the impression that the Transat A-310 in question underwent an A check on March 1st, therefore, could it be a fault in the A-310? There have been questions regarding this since the incident with the AA 310 in Queens.

BWIA330

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:11 am

Agree with you 100% Rootsgirl,

It is true. Transport Canada and the rest of the government is not stepping up to the plate to make sure that things are safe. As for this new incident with TS. It must be an A300, A310 rudder problem. As rootsgirl said, this was in speculation with the AA A300 crash in NY.

Regards,

BWIA330

bennett123

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:35 am

First point is that the AA A300 rudder failed after the ultimate load was exceeded due to repeated rudder reversals. Ithink that the whole AA A300 and indeed all of the type discussion is a red herring.

There seem to be traces of rust on the rudder?. This I do not understand as I understood that the rudder was composite. There is also rust? on the second bracket from the top.

I am surprised that the TS A310 fleet is flying again so soon.

Orion737

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:00 am

A word for Air Tranast, bring back the Tristar. Them L1011 were built to last!

bennett123

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:07 am

Unfortuneately the Tristar is probably long gone.

beechnut

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:21 am

The AA Queens crash and this AT incident are completely different.

The rudder did NOT fail in the Queens crash. The entire vertical stabilizer assembly snapped off dut to excessive aerodynamic loads, the official cause of which was overapplication of rudder during a wake turbulence encounter.

In the AT case it was the rudder itself that failed. Rudder does NOT equal vertical stabilizer.

These are separate incidents that are of completely different nature. It is unfair to slag Airbus in this latest case as corrosion and maintenance is one of the possible causes that will be investigated (but this is by no means the conclusion of the investigation). At least it is unfair to slag Airbus unless the investigation reveals a design flaw. Right now we do not know the real cause.

I do also wonder about Transport Canada oversight. But I take issue with the allegation that the cause is related to Quebec-based maintenance. That is simply unacceptable prejudice.

Mike

Orion737

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:27 am

I love the A310 and had wished it would be around for many years but it has been retired early by so many airlines and it looks like Air Transat may not keep them as long as they planned.

The Tristar certainly never had any rudder problems/corrosion. It was a plane built to last and was rock solid, just like the DC10.

I think these new generation jets, although vastly more efficient, may not have the longevity of the old jets. I thinks it using all these composites trying to get them to weigh as much as a feather.The older jets were Strong!!

rootsgirl

Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:49 am

Regardless of aircraft type...Tristar/Airbus/Boeing....bottom line is that whatever the make of the aircraft, something is wrong with this picture ( excuse the pun...that rusty rudder looks scarry ) No fatality, but a very close call judging by the picture. Lets not make this into a aircraft type v.s. aircraft type, rather what is going on?

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:15 am

Seriously folks, don't make me (or somebody else) do a search on all the "scary" incidents for all aircraft types. Then all the airplanes would be withdrawn from fleets, and some of you wouldn't step foot in another aircraft again. The A310 has proven to be very safe, and I haven't heard of any other rudder failures with them. The "solid" DC-10's had serious cargo door problems. The L1011 was a hangar queen for Transat, with lots of issues coming up. I'm not undermining the importance of this rudder separation, but they better get to the bottom of it. There are countless things that might have contributed to this happening.

Finally, I don't think there's any evidence that Transport Canada is any more relaxed than any other aviation regulator.

yyz717

Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:38 am

Nuno, thanks for posting that incredible picture!

Wow, I can't believe it lost virtually all of its rudder. Luckily it sheered off a long time after departure and didn't deflect the air in a strange way to put the flight characteristics in chaos.

I agree with you Manu! That the crew was able to land without incident is amazing. I imagine everyone on board would have heard the rudder tear away!

Obviously the rudder fell harmlessly into the Caribbean/Atlantic. Can you imagine if it fell off over land? It could have killed scores of people or flattened a building!

As to the rumours that the US denied them landing, this is nonsense! The US would allow any airliner in distress to land! A few years ago, a Royal 732 took off from VRD and made an emergency landing in FLL (or MIA) with a suspected engine fire.

This 310 incident is obviously an extremely rare and potentially fatal incident. What is going on at TS?
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

captaingomes

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:01 am

I understand that with the tearing off of the rudder, that some of the hydraulics might have been lost, and that the constant vibrations could have led to a separation of the rest of the tail. This could have been a lot worse, and it's a good thing they landed when they did. I know it sounds like I'm turning around a bit, but I still stand by my belief that Air Transat has improved a lot, and that the A310 is perfectly safe. I do hope however that this will be THOROUGHLY investigated so that we can learn more about the composites being used in today's more modern aircraft.

yyz717

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:16 am

That rudder could have torn off 15 minutes after leaving YYZ or YUL (instead of VRA) and landed on a suburban house in Etobicoke or St Laurent.

I'm kinda horrified that TC has not grounded the entire TS 310 fleet! 310 rudders are not falling off anywhere else.

It will be interesting to see whether this was caused by TS mx or whether this particular 310 rudder has been unduly stressed (and hence weakened) in a previous flight (whether at TS or a previous airline).
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

flyyul

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:19 am

Neil,

Maybe if Transat was based in Ontario or Alberta, there would be more capable skilled labour to make sure such things would never happen Big grinD  Wink

b741

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:31 am

This might explain why I have not seen the airliner at YWG in several days.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

matt

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:59 am

If you haven't seen their planes in YWG, it's because the YWG-PUJ is over (March 3) and the last PVR flight is coming up shortly. When the PUJ flights are over in YWG, they start in YQM (as YQM and YWG share the same YVR-based A310).

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:16 am

Quoting Bennett123 (reply 34):
I am surprised that the TS A310 fleet is flying again so soon.

Why so? Transat and the MOT and Airbus looked at the problem, and deemed it not to be a concern with the entire fleet.

Perhaps the "short" turn around of checks on the plane can bear some indications as to the root cause. Perhaps it was caused by something that was easily solved and corrected on other aircraft. --> It is too early to ascertain this though. I just simpy hope that it wasn't a problem caused by maintenance practices.

Quoting Orion737 (reply 35):
A word for Air Tranast, bring back the Tristar. Them L1011 were built to last!

Amen to that my friend! Unfortunately, economics killed the Tristar @ Transat.

It does concern me that Transport Canada hasn't really gotten tough on stuff like this. This is not a "minor" incident. This is a major potential catastrophic event, which could have caused lots of deaths.

I will wait for the reports however.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

EIPremier

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:41 am

I can't believe the photos. The rudder is simply gone! It's hard to believe the aircraft could get safely back on the ground without incident.

b741

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:43 am

Great, that will explain why I saw the direct-to-Moncton flight several days ago.

Thanks!
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation