firstclasser

Terminology Question.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:57 am

What is the purpose of the term "with____" such as "with x-ray" and so on (this was taken from FS02)

Newark777

RE: Terminology Question.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:01 pm

I actually asked this question awhile back, so I'll try to remember for you. IIRC, the ATIS for an airport has all the information on current conditions, such as weather, on a loop updated every hour. When it is updated, it is given a code, such as x-ray. Therefore, when an airplane says "with x-ray," they have received the ATIS report coded "x-ray," so the controllers know what the pilots know. Hope I got it right.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

skytrain

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:03 pm

Assuming that you mean what does it mean when said by a pilot to air traffic control for example, I will do my best to answer.

Automated weather/airport information (ATIS) is designated a letter (i.e. Echo). When a pilot listens to the ATIS and then contacts a controller, by saying "with echo" they let the controller know that they have received the latest information, meaning that the controller does not need to needlessly repeat information that is already known by the pilot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Skytrain.

Edit: Haha... Seems I've been beat! What good service here on A.Net!

[Edited 2005-03-07 04:06:46]

captaink

Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:08 pm

I always wondered what those designations meant.. Thanks for asking : Firstclasser  Smile
There is something special about planes....

dl757md

Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:23 pm

To add a little the ATIS recording starts with "XYZ airport information Alpha" and ends with "you have information Alpha".

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

F9Fan

Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:58 pm

When a pilot is approaching an airport, he first gets the most recent weather conditions and other airport information through the Automated Terminal Information System (ATIS). At the end of the recording, they give a letter (using the military phonetic alphabet) to designate the time that information was given. They then repeat this letter to approach control to tell them that the plane has the most recent report. The letter is increased by one with every report until Z, where it returns back to A.

By the way, the military phonetic alphabet is as follows; Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, and Zulu.

HaveBlue

Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:14 pm

An example would be "Daytona Beach automated information November, time 1455 Zulu, winds one two at one zero, gustin one five. Temperature 29, dewpoint 21, altimeter three zero, zero two. Few clouds at 3,200, scattered at 4,500. Tower 500' 3/4 of a mile off of runway 7L unlit. Southeast ramp is closed. Follow all hold short instructions. Tower is 120.7, departure is 123.9. Contact 119.3 for Clearance, say you have information November".

After start up you listen to ATIS. Then you contact Clearance Delivery and say for instance "Clearance Delivery, Cessna 297ER requesting northbound vfr at 3,500' with information November" for acceptance of your takeoff requests. If they approve them, you contact ground for taxi requests and instructions. When holding for takeoff, you contact tower for takeoff request and instructions. After departing, you contact departure, and then they hand you off accordingly.

The ATIS is used at busier airports to alleviate radio congestion of the tower giving you altimeter settings, winds, clouds aloft, and such things as taxiways and runways inop or closed. This way, you get general airport info by an automated system that is updated hourly, and when you call tower, by saying you have "information Tango" they know that you already have that said information, and can proceed to flight specific requests and instructions.

[Edited 2005-03-07 08:18:06]
Here Here for Severe Clear!

firstclasser

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:57 am

Thank you very much for your help! Now I shall (hopefully) know more about what i'm doing.