iowaman

NW Announces Idaho Falls To MSP

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:18 am

Press Release Source: Northwest Airlines

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service Between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Idaho Falls, Idaho
Monday March 7, 10:38 am ET
- One Daily Flight to Begin June 9

MINNEAPOLIS, March 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - News) today announced new nonstop jet service between its hub at Minneapolis/St. Paul and Idaho Falls, Idaho. One daily flight will be offered beginning June 9.
"Northwest Airlines is pleased to welcome Idaho Falls to its growing global network," said Tom Bach, vice president of market planning and Airlink. "This will be the only nonstop service from Idaho Falls to a hub east of Idaho. Customers traveling through our hub at Minneapolis/St. Paul will enjoy convenient connections to Northwest destinations in the Midwest, the eastern and southern United States, Canada and Europe, as well as cities throughout the world served by our partner airlines, including KLM and Delta Air Lines."

"This announcement is exciting news for Idaho Falls and the region," said Idaho Falls Mayor Linda Milam. "With another hub and many more destinations now available, the air traveling public will be better served from Idaho Falls Regional Airport."

Idaho's two U.S. senators also lauded the announcement.

"As someone who flies Northwest to Idaho nearly every weekend, I know this new service in Idaho Falls is a boon to the residents and businesses of eastern Idaho and is a testament to the economic vitality and positive outlook for the future," said Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho). "The additional competition will not only improve the service and cost, but will make Idaho Falls more appealing to businesses looking to locate in eastern Idaho."

"This new service is yet another encouraging sign of economic growth and stability in eastern Idaho," added Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho). "Now that Northwest has announced this nonstop service from Idaho Falls to an eastern hub city, I offer my best wishes for a successful endeavor."

The new service will be operated by Northwest Airlink partner Pinnacle Airlines Corp. using the Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ), which seats up to 50 passengers.

The new flight brings to 169 the number of destinations served from Northwest's hub at Minneapolis/St. Paul. Idaho Falls will be the second city in Idaho served by Northwest and its Airlink partners, complementing existing daily service between Boise and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Northwest's new service is now available for sale at http://www.nwa.com , by telephone at Northwest Airlines Reservations at 1-800-225-2525 or through travel agencies.

New Minneapolis/St. Paul-Idaho Falls service Flight number: Departs: Arrives: NW 2932* 9:00 p.m. 10:44 p.m. New Idaho Falls-Minneapolis/St. Paul service Flight number: Departs: Arrives: NW 2931** 8:45 a.m. 12:11 p.m. * Effective June 9
** Effective June 10

Northwest Airlines is the world's fourth largest airline with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam, and approximately 1,500 daily departures. Northwest is a member of SkyTeam, an airline alliance that offers customers one of the world's most extensive global networks. Northwest and its travel partners serve more than 900 cities in excess of 160 countries on six continents. A 2004 J.D. Power and Associates study of airports ranked Minneapolis/St. Paul, one of Northwest's largest hubs, fourth among large domestic airports in overall customer satisfaction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Northwest Airlines

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050307/cgm026_1.html

Boeing757/767

RE: NW Announces Idaho Falls To MSP

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 am

Wow, the regional growth continues. That's three new routes announced in the last week, with a bunch more earlier.

For IDA that means good connections to the east with more destinations than DL through SLC, although with just one frequency a day.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

clickhappy

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:44 am

I think you will continue to see IDF grow...it is a very cheap way to fly into JAC (about a 90 minute drive) and LOADS cheaper.

ei2ksea

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 am

Clickhappy is right. I made the mistake of flying NWA PVD-MSP-SLC last August and driving to Jackson Hole....long journey! IDF would have been nice along with Bozeman, Billings, West Yellowstone etc. but i presume NWA will still be at the more expensive side of the market as I noticed with the similarly convenient Montana services. Yellowstone/Jackson/Grand Teton area seems to be big road-trip territory for ye Yanks - not easy to find cheap fares!
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

Areopagus

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:49 am

What's with this IDF? Idaho Falls's Fanning Field has always been IDA.

RWA380

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:48 am

I am soooo pleased to see NW becoming a real NW airline. Yeah.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

geg2rap

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:42 am

wow shocker, I assume then casper service is doing well?

nwa man

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting GEG2RAP (reply 6):
wow shocker, I assume then casper service is doing well?

Very, very anecdotal, but I've been down on A and seen the early flight in from CPR deplane a few times. Each flight's load factor has been between 90 and 100 percent. Again, very anecdotal, but good to see new service to the West doing well for 9E and NW.

Regards,

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

sprxUSA

Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:58 am

It is nice to see and ADDITION of service in Eastern Idaho after a lot of reductions recently.

I wonder if 9E/NW was thinking about adding either Idaho Falls or Pocatello and went with IDA or just went right for IDA.

Always thought an IDA-DEN on UAExpress might do OK, but who knows.

I remember when Idaho Falls had six, yes SIX airlines at once! There was Western to SLC, Cascade,Horizon,SkyWest,Pioneer,and Frontier Commuter.

Hope the traffic is there for them.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

vivavegas

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:11 am

A RON in Idaho Falls, A flight crew's dream!

Craig
MKE
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

iowaman

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:14 am

argh, last time I checked CPR loads they were terrible.

Areopagus

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting SprxUSA (reply 8):
I wonder if 9E/NW was thinking about adding either Idaho Falls or Pocatello and went with IDA or just went right for IDA.

I suspect they went directly for IDA, as it is much closer to Yellowstone Park, Jackson Hole, and the Idaho Nuclear Engineering Laboratories.

nwa man

Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:51 am

Of course, NW already flies MSP-JAC with mainline equipment, so I doubt that proximity to Jackson Hole was part of the consideration process.
Create your own luck.

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:20 pm

Figures, I just moved out of Pocatello and our neighbor gets more air service, LOL!  Silly

I'm very happy to hear this, really. It may only be a CRJ but it's another airline to SE Idaho and I'm glad for it. I'd always hoped NW would launch service to Pocatello, though, considering that Hughes Airwest and Republic after that merger used to fly there. If i recall correctly, Republic dropped PIH before the NW merger, but I'm not sure.

Years ago the two cities had considered a plan to create one international airport just outside of Blackfoot, ID, that would serve the three cities. The idea never got off the drawing board, but would have been neat to see.

I wish this would have come to Pocatello, but IDA is good as well. Maybe, someday, larger airliners will fly to my former home.

[Edited 2005-03-08 04:21:59]