brons2

Delta FA Fired For Blog

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:28 am

A Delta flight attendant has made the news as being a person fired for keeping an online blog. Apparently she had pictures of herself wearing her Delta FA uniform on a flight. Some apparently were suggestive and one in particular a portion of her bra could be seen.

http://queenofsky.journalspace.com/

The article made it to CNN yesterday:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/int.../06/firedforblogging.ap/index.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Flight attendant Ellen Simonetti and former Google employee Mark Jen have more in common than their love of blogging: They both got fired over it.

Simonetti had posted suggestive photographs of herself in uniform, while Jen speculated online about his employer's finances. In neither case were their bosses happy when they found out.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

BR715-A1-30

RE: Delta FA Fired For Blog

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:33 am

Old news... This was discussed around November, when she was just being suspended. Alot of Bad Press for DL.
Puhdiddle

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:35 am

And yet, DL was totally within their rights to terminate her...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ltbewr

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:42 am

There are many legitment fears of blogs and bloggers today about companies and involving their employees. There is the fear of posting of proparitary information, information that isn't to be for public use as could go afoul of SEC laws and other regulations, data that could be used by competitors and beheavor of people that could hurt reprutations or how a company want's to be seen. Almost all employees of USA companies are required to sign confidentiality agreements as to company information or the use of company computers for same.

777STL

Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:51 am

Very old news indeed. DL was in their right to fire her, but what harm was she really doing? It's not as if she was slandering them....
PHX based

airgeek12

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:04 am

This is really old.. I remember reading about this a LONG time ago. I still don't see why DL made such a big deal of it, though.

geek

alb222

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting Airgeek12 (Reply 5):
This is really old.. I remember reading about this a LONG time ago. I still don't see why DL made such a big deal of it, though.

DL as any company including Google and Microsoft are within their rights to fire an employe who is acting in a manner not in the best interest of that company. QofS photos went over the line as they identified her to DL. Can't believe this is still making news.

brons2

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:16 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 1):
Old news... This was discussed around November, when she was just being suspended. Alot of Bad Press for DL.

Yeah...I know. But the AP story just broke yesterday and was picked up by over 100 newspapers.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

flyingbronco05

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:25 am

And yet, DL was totally within their rights to terminate her...

Terminating somebody who has the freedom of speech is not within their rights  box 
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

777STL

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:29 am

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Reply 8):
Terminating somebody who has the freedom of speech is not within their rights   

There are limitations to the freedom of speech...

PHX based

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:31 am

Flyingbronco, I don't frequently agree with you (even though I have never replied to you haha, but I lurk in the background, agreeing and disagreeing with people while I sit here at my computer), but I have to agree with you on that one.

She was outside of work, and if she was under an assumed name, this is wrong.

For a country who prides themselves on democratic behaviours, since your latest Pres has been brought in, you've lost a *lot* of the rights bestowed on you from the forefathers.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

gigneil

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:32 am

Terminating somebody who has the freedom of speech is not within their rights box

That applies to the government controlling your rights.

A private company may limit their employees discussions related to the company in any way they see fit.

N

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:38 am

That applies to the government controlling your rights.

A private company may limit their employees discussions related to the company in any way they see fit.

N

And Neil sends Flyingbronco05 to the canvas with a devastating blow to the grill...

[Edited 2005-03-08 23:45:50]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MidnightMike

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:39 am

Freedom of speech applies to the government, not a private company.

The photo that was taken shows the Flight Attendant wearing company uniform.

The photo was taken on a company aircraft which is the property of the company.

The photo had a somewhat questionable sexual overtone, which of course depends on the person viewing the photo

Anyway, Delta was within their rights to dismiss the Flight Attendant, surprised this F/A is still getting her 15 minutes of fame....
NO URLS in signature

globetrekker

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:44 am

KLM, BA, Transavia, Martinair and AF employees who blog, were called in by their employer at some point and were told to never appear in uniform, never mention the company name, not to take photos of private areas or the aircraft in a recognizable way, change the dates or destination of flights you are working.

However, when the same F/A is on the flight as a pax, she/he may take any pics he wants of the aircraft and crew, mention destination and date. Because he/she is off duty. But it must not be written that you work for the company.
Of course everyone can read through the lines............. and not everyone adhere to these rules.

Globe Trekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

Flaps

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:51 am

Perhaps if she had left out the company name, the uniform shots, and the cabin interior pics that easily identify the company she might have been ok. Her freedom of speech was not infringed upon, she is not being arrested. She is free to continue blogging away. A private company has the right to protect its, image, information and interests. She failed in her role to uphold her end of the employer/employee relationship and therefore forfeited her job. We personally may or may not like that but this employer rights vs free speech issue has been upheld in the employers favor time and again in the courts.