JrMafia90
Topic Author

Did This Really Happen On A BA Flight?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:17 am

I saw this posted somewhere on the Internet. Can anybody confirm if it's true. So here it is:

scene took place on a BA (British Airways) flight between Johannesburg and London. A white woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a black man. Obviously disturbed by this, she called the air hostess.

"Madam, what is the matter," the hostess asked.

"You obviously do not see it then?" she
responded.

"You placed me next to a black man. I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative seat."

"Be calm please," the hostess replied. "Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another place is available."

The Hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later.

"Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in the economy class. I spoke to the captain and he informed me that there is also no seat in the business class. All the same, we still have one place in the first class."

Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued, "It is not usual for our company to permit someone from the economy class to sit in the first class. However, given the circumstances,
the captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting."

She turned to the black man and said "Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in
first class."

At that moment, the other passengers who were shocked by what they had just witnessed stood up and applauded. This is a true story. If you are against racism, please repost this message

AirplanePeanut

RE: Did This Really Happen On A BA Flight?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:22 am

I read that somewhere too. Kudos to the Captain and crew!!!!!!!

aaflt1871

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:26 am

Well,

My ex-girlfriends, 2nd cousin's (by adoption) former babysitter's ex-college roomate's step mother's personal trainer was on the flight and said that it happened.

To make a long story short, there is no proof that this ever happened. I have read it several times on here over the past few years.

So in conclusion, I would have to say no, it is a rumour that has made it's way around the board a few times.

Robbie
Where did everybody go?

JrMafia90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:29 am

Airplane Peanut - Im with you on that.
AAFLT1871 - It might be true, we just might not even know.
Armitage Shanks- hahaha, i like that.

N1120A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:33 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):
She must have been an American.

You have just proved you know absolutely nothing about world history.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

OPNLguy

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:35 am

Quoting JrMafia90 (Thread starter):
This is a true story. If you are against racism, please repost this message

Well, I'm against racism as much as anyone, but according to http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnox.htm it's bogus... (Scroll down to the -second- 1998 item mid-page...)
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CXoneworld

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:40 am

My applause to BA!!  cool 
oneworld alliance revolves around you

Newark777

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:43 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):
She must have been an American.

You have just proved you know absolutely nothing about world history.

What did that have to do with history? It was making fun of the Europeans' views on Americans.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ozglobal

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:46 am

JrMafia90,

Let me see if I follow you...

You're against racism:

Quoting JrMafia90 (Reply 4):
Airplane Peanut - Im with you on that.

But (with ArmitageShanks) support unprovoked slurs on other cultures:

Quoting JrMafia90 (Reply 4):
Armitage Shanks- hahaha, i like that.

What moral should we learn from you?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

SonOfACaptain

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:47 am

I actually think it did happened because if my memory serves me correctly, my 9th grade World Geography teacher had a newspaper article when it happened. Of course, my memory ain't the best either.

Also remember that this took place right after South Africa outlawed segregation.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Newark777

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:49 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 9):

Oh please, stop trying to compare blatant racism with just poking fun at Europeans. The moral is that you shouldn't take everything so seriously, and you should get a sense of humor.

Harry

USAFHummer

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):

What did that have to do with history?

Let's point out some key things here from the original post story that might help clarify the historical aspect:

-flight starts in JNB

-JNB, of course, is in South Africa, a country with a long history of racial problems, including this one little thing the world likes to call "apartheid"

-Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that the woman in question is likely a white South African who still harbors negative feelings towards blacks

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

N1120A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
What did that have to do with history? It was making fun of the Europeans' views on Americans.

Um, first off, that is not the average view of Americans. Second, making light of something related to aparthid is not cool. If he knew about history, he would have not made light of it.

Newark777

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:55 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 12):
Let's point out some key things here from the original post story that might help clarify the historical aspect:

-flight starts in JNB

-JNB, of course, is in South Africa, a country with a long history of racial problems, including this one little thing the world likes to call "apartheid"

-Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that the woman in question is likely a white South African who still harbors negative feelings towards blacks

I was talking about reply 5. I know full well what the original story has to do with history.  Wink

Harry

Newark777

Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
Um, first off, that is not the average view of Americans. Second, making light of something related to aparthid is not cool. If he knew about history, he would have not made light of it.

He in no way made light of apartheid. He was simply making fun of Europeans in the current day and age over their view of Americans.

Harry

ozglobal

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:00 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 11):
Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 9):

Oh please, stop trying to compare blatant racism with just poking fun at Europeans. The moral is that you shouldn't take everything so seriously, and you should get a sense of humor.

I'm not offended, just confused by the mixed messages being sent. The difficulty is understanding when blatant bigotry toward any race or culture should be accepted as a joke just because the offender declares it to be so. Racism and cultural bigotry differ only in degree, not essence. It's natural to "have a sense of humour" when your jokes are at others' expense.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

N1120A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:01 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 11):
stop trying to compare blatant racism with just poking fun at Europeans.

Well, considering that it was a European who showed this kind of kindness (the BA F/A), from a country that has a general population that is overwhelmingly against US policy, I would think they could seperate this.

OPNLguy

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:10 am

Excerpted from the Snopes link in reply #6...

Origins: That all of the preceeding tales are likely apocryphal doesn't lessen our enjoyment of them. It's a rare traveller indeed who hasn't good-naturedly faced a long delay at check-in only to see some jerk try to jump to the head of the line, and it's an even rarer individual who hasn't been seated on a flight next to someone he'd like to see sucked out the window.

At different times the stories are circulated anew with their details altered. For instance, the story we recorded in 1998 about the racist woman on the British Airways flights out of Johannesburg came back for another round in 2004, this time purporting to be about a white woman on a flight between Saskatoon and Calgary.

We'd like to believe virtue will be rewarded and the patient among us will eventually get the level of service we deserve. However, bitter reality often goes the other way — it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil, hence it's the line jumper and obnoxious passenger who receive special treatment, not us. Legends such as the ones above help to set the world to rights. Even if they never happened, we'd like to think they did and thus gain a measure of comfort from them. Somewhere — maybe only in the realm of legend — someone is standing up to horrid people.

Unfortunately, such legends, though they have their uses in helping us feel better about our world, can also prove damaging and hurtful to those tarred by their brush. In 2001, Hubbard Foods of New Zealand, a company that produces breakfast cereal, erred by including the "South African woman seated next to a Black man" legend as a travel story in a children's newsletter inserted in boxes of its product. The tale had been selected for inclusion as an uplifting story imbued with a moral message, and no one thought to check its accuracy.

South Africans living in New Zealand were outraged by it. They saw the leaflet as unfairly painting them as racist, furthering an apartheid-era stereotype that is no longer valid. Hubbard Foods apologized but claimed it was too late and far too expensive to withdraw the boxes from store shelves.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

airgeek12

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:12 am

Whatever it is.. it deserves a definite "aww"! lol. Not much more to say..

carduelis

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:06 am

The old ones are the best . . . this story is totally fiction and at least a '100' years old!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

ArmitageShanks

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:34 am

Jesus Christ people... I'm poking fun at how the world automatically says it's the USA's fault when something negative/bad happens in the world. Hell, my dad is from Europe. I love it over there, but the response is typical.

It's called a joke...

Oh, and Newark777, I added you to my RR list because you get it.

Flighttime

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:16 pm

There is one of a clutch of urban myths (all broadly similar) that purport to have happened within most major airlines. This is most definitely one of them. Making up juicy stories is just one of the ways we crew help pass long night sectors!

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:21 pm

This is such an urban myth - NEVERRRRR happened. Even under apartheid, air travel was never segregated.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

schooner

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:29 pm

But it is the USA`s fault, all of it Big grin, especially their fault Notts Forest are so wanky at footy at the moment  Sad !

Cheers.
Untouched and Alive

NZ747

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:30 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 18):
Hubbard Foods of New Zealand, a company that produces breakfast cereal

The owner/CEO of Hubbard Foods is now the Mayor of Auckland city.  scratchchin 

col

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:31 pm

How many running engines did it finish the flight with?

schooner

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:37 pm

Oooh, thats a bit cheeky Col!
Untouched and Alive

bongo

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:00 pm

It seems to me like this is just one more " Urband legend" or a Myth, can someone really really confirm if this story is true or false ?
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

emrecan

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:08 pm

BRAVOOOO CAPTAIN.. !!!!

I appreciate you............

you did a great job.

Pe@rson

Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:20 pm

Fact or fiction, it deserves a huge: NICE ONE! Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

godbless

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:01 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 30):
Fact or fiction, it deserves a huge: NICE ONE!

I agree. Have heard the story a few times already, happening on nearly all possible routes (same situation, different flights). A great story, and still it is, not being true. But similar things have happend around the globe before.

Max

SFOMEX

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:35 pm

This is an urban legend you wish it'd have happened. Nonetheless, I wonder if the apartheid was extended to SAA during those dark years.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 32):
I wonder if the apartheid was extended to SAA during those dark years.

Answer: No it wasn't, at least not on board the aircraft. There never was any segregation of flight services, either domestic or international. The only thing seperated at the airport was the toilets.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

monkeyboi

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:19 am

I reckon it probably did happen, but maybe the dialogue has been a bit exaggerated.

I have never had a problem on any of the BA flights i've worked on with black - white racism. The only problems I have had is twice a hindu family has refused to sit near a muslim one (how can they tell??) and once vice versa....and several times an orthodox jewish male refusing to sit near a woman.

Just out of curiosity, how did it work on board SAA aircraft during apartheid? Did they have a separate 'zone' for blacks on the aircraft? What happened if an african american, or european was travelling around S.A, were they treated the same as the S.A black people?

The airline industry is filled with folklore and urban legends. I like the BA/Virgin one that goes like this: The BA crew stay at the same hotel as the Virgin crew at one of the Caribbean destinations. One evening both the BA crew and the Virgin crew were in the hotel bar. Richard Branson happened to be on the island as well, so came along to the bar and purchased every one of the Virgin crew a glass of champagne. He then said to a group of BA stewardesses 'bet your boss doesn't buy you champagne in your hotels'. To which a BA stewardess replied "He doesn't have to, OUR boss pays us enough to buy our own". Fact or fiction I don't know, cheeky and funny though.  Smile)

jonty

Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:23 am

All this crap about Americans being racist towards Europeans, take it with a pinch of salt people! But I also understand that if a European said something similar about Americans the situation would be the same; some would say that it was racism and all the stuff people have said about on here, but then some would take it with a pinch of salt!
There are always some people who take stuff too seriously, the same people who ban nativity plays in schools and say a black board isn't black and a white board isn't white in case people are offended (in the UK) - soz for the mini rant but I liked being Joseph in the nativity play when I was little!
Just chill people, if it did happen then the woman is a closed minded biggit that's all there is to it and the F/A did exactly what she should have done!
No one on here is being racist on here and Europeans say just as much stuff, which the PC police would say is racism, to Americans as they do to Europeans!

CHILL PEOPLE

tockeyhockey

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:03 am

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnox.htm

looks like it's an adaptation of an urban legend. it's not true, and if you had any sense, you would know how ridiculous it is by reading the pompous and overly formal speach from the actors in the fiction. no one talks like that!

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 34):
Just out of curiosity, how did it work on board SAA aircraft during apartheid? Did they have a separate 'zone' for blacks on the aircraft? What happened if an african american, or european was travelling around S.A, were they treated the same as the S.A black people?

See the post earlier - the answer is no, there was never segregation on any SAA or South African carrier flights. This was because air transport (even domestic) was considered as an "international" service, and so was exempt from the Seperate Amenities Act. The same was true for hotels of a certain standard, and the Blue Train first class rail service between PRY/JNB and CPT.

In theory these same "international" exemptions applied to all foreign visitors to SA, of whatever race, but in practice it wasn't advised for non-white visitors to travel outside the main urban areas.

ejpilot

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:12 am

If the event really happened, then I have nothing but praise for the crew over how the situation was handled!
Second Place Is The First Loser

DeltaWings

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:13 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 2):
My ex-girlfriends, 2nd cousin's (by adoption) former babysitter's ex-college roomate's step mother's personal trainer

faint   talktothehand 

I didn't quite catch on...

~DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Amy

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:18 am

The story, if originally true, would be changed from the actual event by the mouths of those who were there telling it to their friends etc. People exaggerate.

Yes, some 'Europeans' (weird phrase, no-one told me that 'Europe' was a country) do like to blame everything on the USA. In fact, pretty much everyone does. That's because:

1. The USA take a pro-active interest in world politics and are therefore always involved somehow and always culpable.

2. We envy the USA.

'Europe' vs USA is just like A vs B and just as pointless.
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

N751PR

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:46 am

Hmm one variation I heard was that it was a SAA flight... Embarrassment
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

usair320

Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:50 am

Yes i am strongly against racism and do not like people like this

MCI777

Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:30 am

I think we all like stories like this even if they are legend because it makes us feel like there is justice in the world. When racism is blatant, we like to see the purveyor of the racism get their just desserts so to speak.

I do not support any racist ideals by any means. However, i pose this question..If you are a non-minority..have you ever caught yourself being guilty of non-blatant racism such as...you see a group of young African American youths walking down the streets toward you...have you ever clutched your briefcase a little tighter or moved to the other side of the street to avoid them?? If you had a choice between the Caucasian gate agent or the African American gate agent..have you ever subconsciously chosen the Caucasian one to help you??

I think its the non-blatant racism that is more of a problem in the US than the blatant type. What do you think??

aogdesk

Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:49 am

This may have started with a smidgen of relevancy to aviation, but now its a Racism 101 forum!!

Can't we just all get along???  Smile

lapa_saab340

Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:54 am

...Since America was one of the first places slavery was abolished...

I'm off-topic, but I thought I'd add a comment on this. America did not abolish slavery until nearly 90 years after its declaration of independence. Even after it happened, segregation was present for another 100 years. I don't mean this as an attack on your comment Adrian, but I felt it was something that should be pointed out!

Many South American countries became independent later than America yet they abolished slavery much earlier. Taking Argentina as an example, slavery was abolished in 1813...3 years after their popular revolt against Spain, but still before their independence was even recognized!

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:00 am

Quoting Adrianw (Reply 43):
Since America was one of the first places slavery was abolished

One of the first ? Try one of the last. Slavery was abolished in France and her colonies during the Revolution in 1789. Slavery was abolished by Britain throughout the Empire in 1836(?) (it was only in the Empire, slavery had not been legal in the British Isles since the abolition of the feudal system). Slavery was abolished by Spanish colonies in the Americas shortly after they achieved independence in the early 19th century. I think of the major "Western" slave-holding nations, only Brazil abolished slavery after the USA in 1888.

chris7217
Crew

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:02 am

The crew of this BA flight did a great job!

It's a shame and very sad indeed that racism is still a matter in this todays world.

Chris

aaflt1871

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:42 am

Quoting DeltaWings (Reply 39):
Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 2):
My ex-girlfriends, 2nd cousin's (by adoption) former babysitter's ex-college roomate's step mother's personal trainer

I didn't quite catch on...

I was just making a joke as to how many times I have heard of this myth. Nobody has first hand knowledge if it ever happened or not, a few people have said in the past they had a friend or a family member on that flight. So I took that approach and added a few other people to the mix and came up with the B.S above.
Where did everybody go?

UairFokker

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:50 am

The BA crew behaved fantastic!
An applause for them.

Regards,

Boeing727flyer

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:51 am

I used to work for BA and it is ture.
Hail the mighty Boeing 727