EuroBonus
Topic Author

How Many Layers In A Plane Window

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:07 am

I just wondered how many layers of plexiglass are in a normal plane window? Today I read in Aftonbladet.se about how a SAS 737 plane from ARN heading to CDG had to return short after take-off, because of one cracked front window. The newspaper mentioned that the front windows had six layers, and the crack was not fatal at all.

[Edited 2005-03-11 23:09:54]

troubleshooter

RE: How Many Layers In A Plane Window

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:58 am

On the ERJ the cockpit windows are laminated of the following plies (from outside to inside):
- tempered glass faceply
- polycarbonate main ply
- methane interlayer
- polycarbonate main ply
- silicone interlayer
- acrylic crewshield
The heating film is between the glass faceply and the outer polycarbonate main ply.
The passenger windows are laminated of two plies.

The window design on other aircrafts may vary a bit. But in general it may be similar. Normally, one failed outer ply is not a big problem as the remaining plies are capable of carrying the full pressure loads. In some cases you will have altitude and/or speed restrictions.
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

nsfguy

Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:45 am

How do they rebuild a windshield? saw an ad for a learjet and it stated it had a rebuilt windshield.

CosmicCruiser

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:24 pm

The MD-11 has 5 panes consisting of glass-vinyl-glass-vinyl-glass. A thin anti-ice heating film is applied to the inboard surface of the outer glass and defogging is accomplished by applying power to a similiar conductive film of the outboard surface of the inner glass pane.

troubleshooter

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting Nsfguy (Reply 2):
How do they rebuild a windshield?

Maybe you´ll find an answer here: http://www.sierracin.com/index.html or here: http://www.gkntransparencysystems.com/downloadlibrary.htm
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

skidmarks

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:35 pm

Quoting Nsfguy (Reply 2):
How do they rebuild a windshield?

Probably didn't mean the actual windshield, just replaced the pane that was maybe delaminating or cracked.

However, I belive there are methods to actually replace layers and heaters etc. Simplist thing to do is just replace the offending pane though.

Cheers

Andy
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

CRJ200Mechanic

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:03 pm

Quoting Troubleshooter (Reply 1):
On the ERJ the cockpit windows are laminated of the following plies (from outside to inside):
- tempered glass faceply
- polycarbonate main ply
- methane interlayer
- polycarbonate main ply
- silicone interlayer
- acrylic crewshield
The heating film is between the glass faceply and the outer polycarbonate main ply

I believe the CRJ is the same way. I'll have to check on the that
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license