aa777flyer

AA To END SJC-HNL/OGG

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:19 am

On July 1, 2005 AA will bring to an end a five year run on its SJC-Hawaii runs.
 Sad The flight has never perfomed all that well and the aircraft can be used in different markets and make more $$, this will also end all 757 ops at SJC. Too bad in its heyday in mid 2001, AA operated 86 flights a day. Sad to see this happen.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

searpqx

RE: AA To END SJC-HNL/OGG

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:32 am

Sad to see this happen. Surprised to hear it wasn't doing well, every time I took the damn thing it was packed, but we all know load doesn't translate to profits.

I wonder if they'll increase HI (especially OGG) flying from elsewhere.

Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

ramerinianair

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:07 am

The SJC-Hawaii flights seemed a little redundant. They serve HNL, OGG, KOA from LAX and they have other flights from the mainland so it seemed that any connecting passengers could also fly thru LAX or ORD on larger a/c. After AA started cutting flights from SJC, I knew these flights would go, the connecting traffic wasn't there anymore and the O&D passengers weren't enough.
-SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

aa777flyer

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:50 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 2):
the connecting traffic wasn't there anymore and the O&D passengers weren't enough.

True the connecting traffic was no longer there, but there is a very strong local market to Hawaii out of the Santa Clara County. Infact more Hawaii visitors come from the Santa Clara County than any other county. The trouble with the flight was it was too late in the day to make sense for O/D traffic. If AA would have had this flight leave around 8:00 am, or even 12:00 for that matter I think it would have had a fair shot.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

legacyins

Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:53 am

AA will still operate their service to Maui and Honolulu from SFO.

AADC10

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:22 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 3):
Infact more Hawaii visitors come from the Santa Clara County than any other county.

Huh? Where did you get that information? More people travel to Hawaii out of the 1.6 million people in Santa Clara county than say out of the 9.9 million people in Los Angeles County? That is a surprise to me. I know that many people from Hawaii settled in Santa Clara county, but there are a lot of them in Los Angeles County as well, not to mention the regular tourists.

Are you only referring to the San Francisco Bay area counties?

searpqx

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:29 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 3):
The trouble with the flight was it was too late in the day to make sense for O/D traffic.

And this was the reason I was on it so frequently, since I used it as my flight home, it was one of the few flights from the west coast that let me spend the morning in whatever city I was in and still make it home for work the next day. Oh well, back to the morning departues for me.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

alb222

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:09 pm

Well, HNL, JFK,BOS from SJC all going or gone. AA builds up SJC and then cuts it back again. NRT better stay or SJC will have an even emptier Int'l arrivals building. I think there are 2 int'l flights out of SJC. MX to GDL and AA to NRT.

OzarkD9S

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:54 pm

I wonder if AQ or HA will pick up this route? Seems to suit AQ, smaller equipment.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

N1120A

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:42 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 8):
I wonder if AQ or HA will pick up this route? Seems to suit AQ, smaller equipment.

AQ already does OAK, which is not a very long drive or BART ride. HA does SFO
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jacobin777

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:48 pm

there was some redundancy there with AA, given that AA already serves HNL/OGG from SFO which is about 30 miles north of SJC..........that being said, its sad to see AA pull most of their flights from SJC the past few years, though its not a large airport, I've always thought of it as a nice alternative to SFO.........hopefully AA (or some other carrier with some widebodies) bring more service into SJC............
"Up the Irons!"

ATA767

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:04 pm

This will help ATA's SFO/HNL/OGG flights and they need it!

aeronuts

Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:24 pm

SJC was a good experiment for AA while it lasted. SJC is an excellent airport serving the silicon valley's business community, which explains why SWA is doing so well. But for AA, SJC did nothing to connect their Oneworld partners as they all fly into SFO. In the current AA magazine, they listed SFO (not SJC) as one of the connecting airport.

In the long run, AA may be pulling out of SJC and let American Eagle compete with SWA.

aa777jr

Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:22 am

Sure is sad to see AA leaving SJC somewhat. Back in the day, with their NRT TPE CDG HNL OGG etc routes, it looked promising for AA at SJC. Guess the tech industry blowing up and the super high prices of gas have contributed to the demise of AA ops their. What were the loads like on the SJC-HNL, SJC-OGG flights for AA? When did AA end the SJC-CDG run?

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

aloha73g

Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
AQ already does OAK, which is not a very long drive or BART ride. HA does SFO

There is no BART connection at all between San Jose (South Bay) and Oakland (East Bay). The BART stops at Milbrae on the San Francisco side (SFO Airport) and at Fremont on the Oakland side (about 20 minutes north of douwntown SJ).

SJC is far and away the #1 airport chouice for the 1 million plus people in the South Bay. I think that with flights timed more like their Oakland flights, ALoha could do well at SJC flying to Hawai'i. San Jose is still a very affluent area (check housing costs in Santa Clara County) and is extremely convenient for alot of people (moreso than OAK or SFO).

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

ckfred

Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:46 am

SJC made sense for AA before the technology bubble burst. Considering all of the layoffs and other cutbacks in the technology sector, I'm surprised that SJC held on this long.

It may be that AA is setting up for some expansion at SFO, especially if UA has to downsize further.

qqflyboy

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:10 pm

SJC-CDG ended either on or very near to 9/11, as did SJC-TPE.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

MAH4546

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Quoting ATA767 (Reply 11):
This will help ATA's SFO/HNL/OGG flights and they need it!

Actually, it will help AA's SFO-HNL/OGG flights more than ATA's.

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 16):
SJC-CDG ended either on or very near to 9/11, as did SJC-TPE.

SJC-CDG ended after 9.11, but was canceled before it.
a.

flyibaby

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:43 pm

Give it five years or so...and It'll be back to being a hub of sorts for AA; or at least based on their track record. ie. RDU

MAH4546

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:16 pm

It definitley is unfortunate to see how AA has cutback at San Jose.

This is what will be left:
Austin, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, O'Hare, Orange County, San Diego, and Tokyo.

It was as recent as August 2001 that they also had:
Boston, Denver, Honolulu, Maui, Miami, New York City, Paris, Phoenix, Portland, St. Louis, Seattle, and Taipei.

In 2002, they announced Raleigh service, but it never started. Last year, they had a short lived daily service to San Luis Obispo.

In 2001, American Airlines was running 71 daily departures from SJC.

This summer, they simply switch the digits: 17 daily flights, plus 28 daily American Eagle flights.
a.

mikesairways

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:43 pm

That really sucks about losing 757's now. I guess I was lucky to fly on one last month from DFW. I once flew the '57 down to SNA. Man those were the days weren't they.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

N1120A

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:19 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 14):
There is no BART connection at all between San Jose (South Bay) and Oakland (East Bay). The BART stops at Milbrae on the San Francisco side (SFO Airport) and at Fremont on the Oakland side (about 20 minutes north of douwntown SJ).

I was talking about Fremont, which is easily accessable from downtown SJC (most people live in Santa Clara/Milpitas/Cupertino anyway). Then again, you can take CalTrain to Milbrae and BART from there.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jacobin777

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
I was talking about Fremont, which is easily accessable from downtown SJC (most people live in Santa Clara/Milpitas/Cupertino anyway). Then again, you can take CalTrain to Milbrae and BART from there.

true, buts its a royal pain in the bum dealing with CalTrain and BART.....and its not really cheap either for the non-frequent traveler. Plus who wants to deal with 2 different trains before and after a journey?

I take the MUNI and BART (Market St. & Powell St) to SFO...thats bad enough as it is, and on the way back home from SFO, I take the shuttle van (only $20 with tip to the Bay Area).
"Up the Irons!"

qqflyboy

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:51 am

Not that it couldn't change, but SABRE still shows the first two flights from SJC-DFW as 757s well into July. The latest date I checked was Juy 25. Those were the only two 757s at SJC, however. The cutbacks there are sad. I remember a time when AA's daily SJC departures exceeded SFO's. It has been years since I was based there, but nonetheless, I still feel the loss. It was a great time.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

B742

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:13 am

That's a real shame!

How is SJC's NRT route doing?

Rob!