AlitaliaMD11
Topic Author

What Is A Mobile Crew Rest?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:40 pm

I was surfing photos of the inside cabin of OS planes and I found this photo:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Unmuth - VAP

What exactly is a mobile crew rest? How do the FAs or Piliots get down to it?

I have never heard of one before.

Thanks!
No Vueling No Party

Starlionblue

RE: What Is A Mobile Crew Rest?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:33 pm

In the cabin (above) there is a hatch which connects to a ladder/staircase in the crew rest.

It is mobile because it can be removed for shorter segments where a crew rest compartment is not needed. This makes space for more cargo.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

dgehfx

RE: What Is A Mobile Crew Rest?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:39 pm

Air Canada flight attendants are entitled to 2 hours sleep on non-stop flights over 11:30 (any flight under that time the flight attendants have no special arrangement). On AC's A340-300 a mobile crew lounge is boarded in the baggage hold below deck. It is mobile because it is only loaded onto the aircraft on flights that are above 11:30 hours in length.
A locked door between the two main Economy cabins leads to a steep staircase into the lounge. When the lounge is not on board there is a trap door that closes over the staircase opening. In the lounge which is basically two baggage carriers joined together, there are 6 beds with individual air vents and reading lights and privacy curtains.