rootsair

Ryanair To Switzerland Anytime Soon?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:46 pm

Would anybody know if Ryanair is planning on opening new routes to Switzerland .
ZRH is definitely out of race due to its high taxes but GVA is soon to open a low cost terminal on request of EasyJet and to encourage low cost airlines to operate in and out of GVA.It would be good for competition . Would taxes be low enough to attract RyanAir ?

Perhaps other airpots like BSL or Bern could have Ryanair coming....Tell me what your predictions are?]

[Edited 2005-03-13 14:51:20]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

madhatter

RE: Ryanair To Switzerland Anytime Soon?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:54 pm

It was my understanding that since Switzerland is not an EU member and Ryanair are an Irish and not a British registered company that if they wanted to fly to Switzerland it could only be from Ireland?

rootsair

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting Madhatter (Reply 1):
It was my understanding that since Switzerland is not an EU member and Ryanair are an Irish and not a British registered company that if they wanted to fly to Switzerland it could only be from Ireland?

But Switzerland has bilateral agreements withthe EU so in this case wouldn't it still be possible for Ryanair to fly into GVA from another EU country
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Pe@rson

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:06 pm

Norway isn't a member of the EU yet FR flies to 2 destinations there (TRF and Haugesund. TRF has 4 routes so far: PIK, STN, BGY and HHN). I believe that such countries in Europe have essentially the same freedoms as those within the EU, hence are able to fly there and so forth.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Thomas_Jaeger

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:19 pm

I could only see Ryanair flying into Switzerland if some air bases would be opened for scheduled operations which I guess won't happen anytime soon.

GVA and BSL both are happy with easyJet and do not really want to give Ryanair discounts on landing and handling fees etc.

ZRH is way too expensive for Ryanair.

ACH, BRN and LUG runways are too short for a B737-800. SIR might be able to accomodate a B737-800 but it is daylight operations only and pilots need special training. SMV is basically the same.

Emmen or Payerne would be excellent destinations for Ryanair, Interlaken could work as well but I don't see it happening.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

rootsair

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:27 pm

Quoting Thomas_Jaeger (Reply 4):
Emmen or Payerne would be excellent destinations for Ryanair, Interlaken could work as well but I don't see it happening.

The problem with Payerne is that its a military airfield...so that takes out one from the list

Pe@rson

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 5):
The problem with Payerne is that its a military airfield...so that takes out one from the list

What? NQY is, for one, an airbase. So long as they support civil flights, and assuming there's adequate facilities, there won't be a problem with operating into an airbase.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

DeltaWings

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:13 am

What about Dübendorf. It's near Zurich.

~DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

RJ100

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:22 am

Only thing I know is that Ryanair wanted to establish a base in BSL / MLH / LFSB), France">BSL some time ago. But the airport did not accept the conditions (for instance paying one million USD in cash, paying Ryanair's advertising, charging no landing fees, renaming the airport into EuroAirport Zurich  Sad ). The airport is better off with easyJet now. However the door is still open for Ryanair because the airport introduced a new tariff system that benefits airlines carrying high volumes of passengers.

They are currently speculating on an opening of Lahr airport for civilian flights in nearby Germany.

Potential is here, especially we need more low cost flights to Germany (Frankfurt/Hahn, Hamburg/Lübeck, Düsseldorf/Weeze etc.).

I dont think they will go into GVA / LSGG), Switzerland">GVA but some time ago there were rumours about Ryanair opening a base in nearby France (cannot remember the name of the city, maybe Annecy? ).

Regards,
RJ100

[Edited 2005-03-13 16:24:46]
none