rolo987

Sleeping In Economy?

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:33 am

I was recently on a red eye flight and I found it very difficult to get into a comfortable sleeping position. I eventually got to sleep somewhat uncomfortably: on my traytable. I know there has to be a better way than this, i.e. one of those neck pillows. What is the best way that one can easily sleep comfortably in Economy?

Pe@rson

RE: Sleeping In Economy?

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:36 am

I sit up-straight and either go to sleep like that or tilt my head to the left-hand side. Works well for me, especially if I am sleepy anyway.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

N62NA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:42 am

Well, at least you got to sleep, Rolo987 - I have never been able to sleep on a plane.

I'm hoping to get one of those few daytime flights to Europe this summer, just to avoid the long overnite flight across the Atlantic!

ZRH

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:47 am

You will never ever find an comfortable way to sleep in these cattle classes. BTW if you transported cattle in our country in the way how airlines put passengers in economy class, the animal protection organizations would sue the transport companies.  Wink

UnitedStarGold

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:49 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 2):
just to avoid the long overnite flight across the Atlantic!

The problem with eastbound transatlantic flights is that unless you're flying from the west coast, the flight is really quite short and does not allow for more than 4-5 hours of sleep unless you go to sleep as soon as you board and skip all meals. Very few can actually do that, least of all in economy!

Some swear by sleeping pills; I don't recommend that, but it could work for you.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - Gen. R.E. Lee

B4REAL

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:55 am

When in economy, I put my elbows on my knees and rest my head in my hands. This way my neck does not get in bad position and I'm balanced when the a/c shifts or bumps.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

N62NA

Thanks for the advice, UnitedStarGold, but now that I'm living down at MIA, the flight over to Europe is about 8 hours or so.

I'm actually planning on flying up to BOS the night before, then taking the 9am flight over to LHR the next morning! Crazy, I know...  crazy 

EddieDude

Wow, that was so darn funny ZRH!!! Hahaha.

I must say that it is possible to sleep at least a little bit if you get decent seat pitch. I just flew in an AM MD-87 in coach on Thursday evening and I was amazed by the comfort of the plane. The seats are wide enough and the pitch is just awesome. I know it is only 2 or 3 inches more than, say an AF 744, or so, but psychologically it felt to me like economy plus or something.

If you just can't take a true "mrtc" carrier, then make sure you go out the night before and don't get any sleep and you'll see how you'll sleep even if the flight is long and full.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

B4REAL

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:57 am

Hey EddieDude!

The AM MD-87s are nice. I, however, do not like the bulkhead rows on the MD (Coach or Clase Premier), they feel a little light on the pitch.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

Lemurs

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:14 am

A trick I use that works for me on a fairly consistent basis...take my coat, or extra pillows/blankets you can collect (I fly CO, so this works for me) and wedge them in your lower back area, then slouch. You can get more reclined than normal without waking up with a back ache.

Obviously, this only works if you're short enough and don't have a history of back pain, but it works like a charm for me and some of my shorter friends!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ozglobal

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:18 am

Use headrest 'wings' or even better, the BA head side supports. If you do this you shouldn't need the neck pillow. Better to sleep with your spine and neck straight if you can.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Richard28

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:20 am

Managed to sleep about 5 hours on Etihad recently.

Fell asleep over Iran, and awoke over Switzerland - very happy!

For me I need a window seat, and preferably two cussions, one for lumber support, and one for my head.

The other critical factor is temperature - if its to warm then I just cannot sleep.

Rich.

UnitedStarGold

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:22 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 6):
I'm actually planning on flying up to BOS the night before, then taking the 9am flight over to LHR the next morning! Crazy, I know...

Actually, I don't necessarily think you're crazy for doing that! If you've got the time, and don't mind spending money on a hotel (the airport Hilton is adequate in terms of comfort and is connected to the terminal), then it certainly makes for a more comfortable trip. Getting into London at night is wonderful compared to a morning arrival.

I live an hour's drive from my local airport; if I have a flight that departs before 8AM, I spend the night before in a decent hotel that I book through Priceline for $50.

It occured to me - if you're not loyal to OneWorld or a VS flyer (no Star Alliance carrier flying BOS-LHR), you could go through IAD and fly a UA 763 to LHR on a day flight. That's an easy enough flight from MIA, and you may just be able to avoid flying up the night before if you can get an early enough flight.

EddieDude

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:23 am

Hey Rick! Agreed on the AM MD-87 bulkhead seat pitch issue. My return flight today was in Clase Premier (seat 1D) and although I very comfortable at all times, I did get the impression that the other 2 rows had perhaps slightly better pitch. As for the coach cabin, the pitch in the bulkhead row is just average, whereas the pitch in all other coach rows is outstanding.

Anyway, I guess sleeping is not really an issue in flights that are less than 4 hours, so perhaps what our friend Rolo should do is try to find a decent WT+ fare for the U.S.-LHR flight if he flies BA, or fly UA Y+ (using an upgrade or something).
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Orion737

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:29 am

Temazepam helps you nod off. Scheduled economy is not too bad, try sleeping on a UK charter flight on a A330 3-3-3 or a 767 2-4-2!

UnitedStarGold

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:30 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 13):
UA Y+ (using an upgrade or something).

Economy Plus is not a separate class of service on United, so one can't 'upgrade' to it. It is offered as a pre-confirmed seating for elites and Y,B, and M fares in the forward zone of the economy cabin with 3-6 more inches of space than the rest of the cabin.

However, it has been reported lately that by using the automated check-in machines, some passengers not eligible for E+ in advance have been offered it for $25. That said, it can usually be had (so I hear) just by asking the check-in agent. I don't particularly like that, since it means an empty middle seat is often assigned at the last minute, but it's not that big of a deal usually.

PPVRA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:32 am

I get a window seat and lean against the fuselage/window.... make sure you close the window shade cause the window gets pretty cold too!

Helps me out with about an hour of sleep or so... But I have never been able to "sleep" much more than that...

Quoting ZRH (Reply 3):
You will never ever find an comfortable way to sleep in these cattle classes.

Agree.

Cheers,

PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

fbgdavidson

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:02 am

A friend of mine flew back from Nepal via AUH and found the best way to sleep was in the bathroom!

He got violently sick thanks to a white water rafting accident the day before and went to the bathroom to 'tend to matters'. After being in there for some time the FAs enquired what the issue was and he explained he would be running back and forth to bathroom a lot.The FAs said he would be ok to stay in there for the flight and told me he ended up falling asleep in there!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

EddieDude

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 am

Thanks for the correction UnitedStarGold.

I guess it is not the case with U.S.-Europe flights, but it surprises me that in the past, the flights from MEX to Europe were never full -even in the summer- so it was fairly easy to find a row you could claim as yours and sleep on it, and nowadays flights between MEX and Europe are full all the time!

Continental

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:15 am

I sleep sometimes on aircraft, but very rarely. My last flight was a night flight from JFK to MSP, and I put my coat against the window and slept for about 30 minutes or so. When I woke up, my coat was ice cold!! I'm flying overseas JFK-BRU this summer, so I gotta figure out a better way to sleep!

September11

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:19 am

Do not sleep or take nap 8 hours before flight. Then, you will be sleeping inflight.
Airliners.net of the Future

desertjets

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:24 am

It usually helps to have somebody to cuddle up with to catch some shut eye. But as most of my plane travel has been solo lately, I haven't been able to do that.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

pdxtriple7

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:31 am

I can't sleep on planes. For some reason, I can't manage to fall asleep no matter how tired I am. One of the reason I think I can't fall asleep can be attributed to the excitement of flying or traveling to somewhere. On all my transatlantics, I've manage to get a max of maybe 2 hours of semi concious sleep. I haven't been able to just sleep. When I do though, I like placing my head on the tray table, but when I flew BA, there wasn't enough room when the seat in front of me was reclined! On AA, there was too much room (probably because I was a few inches shorter then).

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 17):
friend of mine flew back from Nepal via AUH and found the best way to sleep was in the bathroom!

I agree, the bathroom is the most comfortable place to sleep, although I haven't fallen asleep in there. You have plenty of leg room and space.

N62NA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:38 am

Quoting UnitedStarGold (Reply 12):
It occured to me - if you're not loyal to OneWorld or a VS flyer (no Star Alliance carrier flying BOS-LHR), you could go through IAD and fly a UA 763 to LHR on a day flight. That's an easy enough flight from MIA, and you may just be able to avoid flying up the night before if you can get an early enough flight.

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, living here in MIA (MIAA), well, one is kind of forced to fly AA on the routes I normally travel (EWR, JFK, SJU, LAX, SFO) if they want a nonstop. So, I've got AA Gold status and enjoy the ability to upgrade on some of the longer flights.

Sure wish UA hadn't given up on us down here!

ltbewr

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:48 am

I only travel in the cattle class and I very rarely sleep on an a/c. Fortuntaly, I am short, so legroom isn't an issue. I only try to sleep on long distance flights at night (transcon, transocean). Still I am lucky to get 2-4 hours, even on my flights to/from Australia or NZ I did years ago.
First of all, hope you are on a lightly loaded flight, like less than 50%. Try to fly on widebodies. If you are lucky, get a full row to yourself. If stuck on a loaded a/c, hope the seats have the adjustable head wings and enough pitch so you can get some tilt. Hope you can get a window seat, with only one other person in the way to the asile. If your traveling during cooler weather use you jacket/sweater/fleece on your back and head. Bring and wear dense foam earplugs and an eye cover. On some international fights, the airlines offer these but bring your own to make sure. I would also suggest not to drink alcholic, caffinated and heavily sugared foods the day of or during the flight. Of course, if your a guy traveling with a woman with ammmmhhhhh, 'nice breasts' you can rest your head on them  Wink

DLKAPA

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:54 am

I once fell asleep on a Reno MD-80 on an ANC-SEA flight, then an AA MD-80 on the SEA-DFW run later on. All I did was lay my head against the window and I was gone.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Boeing73G

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:43 pm

I very rarely sleep on a/c, and if I even try, i'll just get distracted looking out the window.

ahlfors

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:54 pm

For me a window is generally a must. The only exception was a Swiss 332 JFK-GVA, where I fell asleep in a middle seat, probably because I had been travelling since the morning by the time I got on the plane.

amhilde

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:22 pm

I need the earplugs and the eyeshade and a few sleeping pills to make me do it, and sometimes a certain type of music. I take maybe one sleeping pill to get the eyes wanting to shut and then try and focus on keeping them shut too. This worked last week going to CDG from ORD- eventually I passed out for about three hours, which is good for me going eastbound. The westbound return is always a pain, and this trip was made even moreso by the annoying woman behind me who had to cough every minute and it would startle me and wake me up (oddly she was in front of me on the way out- i was ready to kill her because of that stupid cough!). By the time I got to the ORD-RNO leg I was so damn tired I just zonked out immediately- no pills, no alchy- from takeoff to landing. I love it when that happens, but I have to be to the point of sheer exhaustion- hour 22 or so and on the home stretch. I agree with the blanket/pillow prop and depriving yourself of sleep- both work!
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

NceBoy

Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Well, my experiences is that even if you don't sleep the night before, that wont get you to sleep in sit position.

My most traveled route is YUL-ZRH on LX. The schedule is awful, you leave YUL at 1730 for a 6 hours and a few minutes flight, so you arrive before midnight, but it's already 0600 at ZRH. Never been able to sleep on that flight.

I can remember sleeping, really, deep, and completely, on only one flight, an AF A321 CGD-NCE. I have to said that 2 days before I was visiting PEK by night, the night before I didn't sleep at all, and I couldn't catch sleep on the 777, I was in a middle seat of the last row of the first Y cabin, not reclining, broken footrest..

All I remember from the 1H15 minutes flight is waking-up while we were on final approach to NCE and asking if the beverage service has been done...
coz I'm leaving on a jetplane !

alexchao

Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:50 pm

This is interesting, because there are people who can't stay awake during flights. Hahahaha... Anyway, I like to slip a pillow behind my lower back, completely recline, and extend my legs completely below the seat in front of me. Then again, I've only flown long transpacific flights.

I have yet to experience sleeping on a transcontinental domestic red-eye.

hugo

Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:54 pm

In addition to trying to get the next seat or a row of seats "blocked" at check-in for more space, I do the following to reduce disturbances and be as comfortable as possible on long haul flights: 1)earplugs 2) eyeshades 3) sleepsuit or loose sweats. I also try to schedule shut eye after I have done everything that I want done - after the first meal service it's off to the loo then bedtime. Economy is almost always an uncomfortable proposition. I think the trick is how to reduce the number of disturbances and things that may bring discomfort. There are a few things you can do...use adjustable headrests when available, shut out the noise and light and wear something really comfortable.

noelg

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:14 pm

I usually take the window seat, put the seat back and roll toward the window. I then take my blanket and cover over my head to block out any light. That way you can still have the window open a little bit to catch the view if you want to!

Noel.

baw716

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:40 pm

There is a product called the 1st class sleeper that is a seat support that you inflate (lightly) to give you back support. It pushes you a little forward in the seat, but it provides the right support and cushioning to get you into a position in which you can sleep...or at least sit more comfortably. I can't tell you exactly where to look because that may violate the "advertising" rules of the forum, but with that and an extender seat belt, might be worth giving a try.

In my case, I use it and purchase two seats. Since getting a F class upgrade is very difficult these days and fares are cheap, I buy myself a second seat, get a seat on the aisle/center or window/aisle and I am comfortable and no one gets disturbed. I take the sleeper with me and it works pretty well.

These days, you have to find your own solutions to staying comfortable on an airplane....

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:42 pm

I find it very hard to sleep in Y class, unless I have a window seat with an empty seat next to me - I use 2 pillows, and pull the blanket over my head to reduce the ambient noise. Even then I can only sleep 1 or 2 hours at a time. I hate Y class !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

baw716

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:00 pm

Oh, I forgot, eye shades and ear plugs are really good tools too. Just make sure you take out the ear plugs before you start descending or you will have one hell of an earache.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

martin21

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:00 pm

Even after a 48 hour flight I would not have some sleep, but that is just me..

Martin21
At 30.000 feet, the sun always shines !

4xRuv

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 pm

I think it depends on the way u usually sleep at home. If it's on your back, lucky you, if it's on the side, you're in a problem, and if its on your stomach don't even try....
However, If I wanna sleep I usually:
1. Get a window seat so you can lay your head on it
2. Get an extra pillow
3. Cover my self very good, we don't want to wake up with a cold
4. Eyeshades
5. Earplugs
6. Sleeping pills.... and if they are not around, get a nice alcoholic drink before
7. Drink a lot of water 'cause the air is so dry

And that's it. By the time you finish all the preparations, you're already woken for a meal or something.....  Smile

aerorobnz

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:27 pm

I have had mixed experiences. I've slept really well on shorthaul flights, and not at all on longhaul, but I have also slept ok on longhaul but not at all shorthaul. It depends on my mood, and it also depends where I am on the plane/ airline/ aircraft etc. On one U2 flight I had been snoozing during the cruise from CGN-LGW and I woke up when they said we are on approach, I got excited as I was about to land at LGW for the first time, made it on final approach and even over the threshold, but was asleep again for the actual landing - that was cos I'd been backpacking round Europe for a month, had just taken a slow day train from Prague, then an ICE from Nurenburg and had 'slept' the night on the Cologne Train Station marble floor before the flight but usually if I'm less tired, and there are PTVs to watch I don't sleep much.
That's more cos I don't want to sleep, rather than I can't sleep.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

jonty

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 pm

The only time I have ever been able to sleep in economy is when there has been 3 spare seats and I have lain across them! There's just no room to be comfortable!!!

baylorairbear

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:58 pm

I am 6'4'' and about 330 pounds; what is this sleep you speak of!?!  sigh  Actually, I do pretty well on regional and short hauls if I have a bulkhead seat. I put my feet up on the bulkhead and rest my head on my knees. If the F/A's ask me to put my feet down I use my carry-on as a prop. I'm flying DFW-LGW-DFW in June on BA 777 in World Traveler. Hopefully I can still walk when I get there.
I'm just skipping stones...

Tobi3334

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:07 pm

For me these new ear plugs made of silicone or wax work very well. Depending on how hard you push them in to your ear you can absorb the engine noise completely.

B707Stu

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:47 pm

I rarely sleep but since I've bought the $12.99 horseshow pillow I've had much better luck. Get the cushy one not the blow up. It works better for me than the window, the pillows or the seat wings on any carrier. I get about 1 - 1.5 hours on a NYC-UK flight... which is better than I normally get. I also force myself to stay up the first day in Europe by exercising and drinking water. I won't go to bed before 9pm on arrival day and it helps with jetlag. THere are moments that are tough and you get spacey but it's worth it forcing yourself to stay up. I have very little jetlag coming westbound for some reason and I never sleep on that flight.

FlyMeToTheMoon

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:22 pm

Here is what I do. I book a flight that leaves IAD very late (e.g. AF to Paris at 1030 p) and a window seat. Eat a meal, drink no alcohol or soda just water. I get athree pillows. Recline the seat, put a pillow under my head, one under my lower back and one on the shoulder that leans against the window. Take 2 ibuprofens (or any other pain mild pain killers) and a sleeping pill and I am out for 5 - 6 hours depending on flight lentgh sleeping somewhat straight. The result is I wake up refreshed and without any aches which is pretty nice considering that I am 6'2". Most of the times I skip breakfast but ask the FAs (very nicely) to bag some food and coffee for me to eat during landing. Talk to your doctor about a very mild sleeping pill but make sure to try them at home first, since you would rather want to know how your body reacts prior to leaving. Happy flying.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

D-aqui

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:40 pm

There is no way to sleep comfortably in economy. Am now working for an organization that does not pay business for long-haul flights. It is a nightmare, particularly on east- and westbound flights where the jet lag adds to the overall stress factors.

Economy would benefit from an increased seat pitch on the xxlong-haul routes (e.g. FRA-EZE or alike).

D-AQUI

Matt27

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:45 pm

There aren't any good ways to get some sleep in economy. The best is if you take a late flight so you are tiered anyway. Otherwise alcohol is a good help... scratchchin   Wink
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

B742

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:01 pm

Easy, pay a lot more money and go and sleep in First class!  Big grin

Rob!

gothamspotter

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:43 pm

Alcohol + Prescription Opiates = Sleep no matter where you are.  yes  champagne 

ALB2ATL

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:51 am

US Airways red-eye from LAX to PIT. Worst flying experience ever. I tried and tried to sleep, but could not pass out no matter what. I'm 6' - and on US, that stinks! Luckily I was on an A321, so there was a little more room. Nearly impossible to sleep as US has o/h IFE and the flickering light emmitting from the screens and people laughing at the horrible movie (Johnson Family Vacation??) made it even worse! At least I had a window seat, my poor friend (also 6') had the middle seat next to a large man (haha).

Anyway - Can only sleep if FUI.

(spell check inop - sorry for any mistakes)

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 am

Noise cancellation headphones. Gotta have'em. Currently have the Sony Earbuds. These are quite good. But I have just ordered the Plane Quiet Solitude. They're supposed to be as good as Bose QuietComfort 2 but cost $100 less. Also, they don't stop working when the battery runs out! We'll see.

I swear even the cheap footrest on the SAS MD-90s is a big help. It's just a plastic bar that raises your feet 10 cm but it helps a lot.

Quoting UnitedStarGold (Reply 4):

Some swear by sleeping pills; I don't recommend that, but it could work for you

Sleeping pills are maybe not a good idea. Melatonin works. Doesn't put you to sleep by itself but certainly relaxes you.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo