jambo

Possiblities Of Qatar AIRWAYS/ETIHAD To Nairobi?

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:41 pm

WHAT ARE THE POSSIBILITIES OF QATAR AIRWAYS AND/OR ETIHAD AIRWAYS TO START OPERATIONS INTO NAIROBI OR PROBABLY EVEN DAR ES SALAAM ?

HOW BIG IS THE EAST AFRICAN MARKET?
- KEEPING IN MIND MAJOR AIRLINES LIKE EK, BA, KL ARE ALLREADY ESTABLISHED IN THE MARKET.

B742

RE: Possiblities Of Qatar AIRWAYS/ETIHAD To Nairobi?

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:57 pm

There is more of a possibility that QR will fly to Nairobi than Etihad! Qatar is a more established airline, maybe QR will operate the route with a A319/320/321 in the future.

Rob!

PM

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting Jambo (Thread starter):
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBILITIES OF QATAR AIRWAYS AND/OR ETIHAD AIRWAYS TO START OPERATIONS INTO NAIROBI OR PROBABLY EVEN DAR ES SALAAM ?

DAR? I wouldn't hold your breath. DAR, as I'm sure you know, is served by EK, KQ, SA and KL daily plus BA, LX, Oman, Ethiopian, Air India and others who all offer connections. (Even Air Tanzania are reputed to be launching BOM and DXB this year.) Remember that Gulf were there until a year ago but pulled out. I'd say there's not much spare capacity to be soaked up.

NBO? It's a bigger market (and therefore has more connections than DAR) and it would be a more attractive route for Etihad and/or Qatar.

Having said all of that, I suspect you're right. In the fullness of time either or both will serve NBO and probably DAR but I doubt if it'll happen within the next year or two.

cornish

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:24 am

I think with the way they are expanding and the aircraft they have on order, it is very possible that Qatar Airways could serve Nairobi in the future. Especially as they want to build Doha as a new hub airport.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work