AXESS
Topic Author

Sleeping Passenger During Meal Service

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:29 pm

Specially in Y class, when it is time for meal service but sleeping passenger in the seat front of you do not bring the seat to the up-right position and that you feel uncomfortable enjoying meal service, what would you do, or what should cabin attendant do. In case of cabin attendant he or she has to respect sleeping passenger too...

N317AS

RE: Sleeping Passenger During Meal Service

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:49 pm

I've never been bothered by the pax in the seat in front of me with their seat back. Unless it's some whiney ass screaming kid. I think the sleeping pax has the right to sleep.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

SNATH

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:50 pm

Axess,

During redeyes I like to try to get some sleep as soon as the plane takes off. Since I know there will be a meal service, I do try to keep my seat mostly upright to avoid being hassled by the F/As (I usually recline my seat very little). But, I'm telling you, if a F/A wakes me up for any reason, i.e. to offer me the meal, I get mighty pissed  crazy  'cause it takes me a lot of effort to fall asleep in a plane.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

aloha73g

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:53 pm

On both Aloha and Hawaiian they ask all assengers to put their seats upright during the meal service.

Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Skydrol

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:01 pm

AXESS:

I have witnessed several times F/As waking up pax to have them raise their seat back so the pax seated behind them can eat. This is only fair. I have tried to eat with the top of a reclined seat over the meal and basically in my face and it just doesn't work. Also, if there is a drink at the top corner of the tray, it is wedged against the seat back and cannot be lifted out. There is already limited elbow space which makes eating a bit difficult, but adding a seat back overtop of the meal makes it almost impossible, especially if you are tall.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

JGPH1A

Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:52 pm

You'll find that if you push very gently but firmly against the seat in front of you, you can push it upright again. If you do it quietly and gently, the pax in front won't even wake up. Works for me.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

SK A340

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
You'll find that if you push very gently but firmly against the seat in front of you, you can push it upright again. If you do it quietly and gently, the pax in front won't even wake up. Works for me.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that sometime  Wink

Why is it so popular to lean the back of the seat anyway? When the seat belt sign has come off it's like half of the passengers rush to the toilet and half of them lean their seats. I have no experience of first or business class seats but in economy I don't think it makes a big difference. Perhaps in a plane like the 757 when there are a 3-3 config and TV screens over the aisle one must lean the seatback to see the TV if you are in the window seat. But for comfort, it doesn't matter.

/Micke

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Quoting SK A340 (Reply 6):
Why is it so popular to lean the back of the seat anyway?

One a short flight, big deal. On an overnight sleeper across the pond, even 5 cm make a difference.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):

Well said JGPH1A. It always amazes me how many people slam their tray tables back up. Don't they understand that a little tenderness goes a long way?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Leskova

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:34 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 7):
Well said JGPH1A. It always amazes me how many people slam their tray tables back up. Don't they understand that a little tenderness goes a long way?

Very true... but I've, on occasion, had that strange species of human being in a seat in front of me that, specifically for the meal service, reclines his seat...

On those occasions, I usually ask them to return their seat to an upright position, which usually works - only in one case the passenger was not willing to move...

Maybe I'm too friendly to my fellow passengers - but on my last overnight flights, I've started sleeping without putting the seat back... worked perfectly: I wasn't bothered by anyone slamming down their tray, but still woke up refreshed - well, as refreshed as you can get on those short 6-7 hour transatlantics...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

leigh pilgrim

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:53 am

Hey all,

I have to say, all passengers have paid for there seats, so, what ever the service, you should be able to do what you like, understandably, if meals are presented to you and the person in front has there seat reclined, it is annoying, but thats down to them, they have paid for it.

I do have an idea, to avoid it, travel with Ryanair, there seats dont recline....., but then again, there aint no meal service!!!!, you cant win!

Also, go with BA WTP, even it the seat in fron reclines, your tray is in the armrest, problem solved!!

SQno1

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:00 am

Isn't it BR that put a sticker on your shirt on your body to say youve missed a meal and if you woujld like one you can collect one from the cabin crew.

With Regards,
SQno1

Lufthansa747

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:09 am

Quoting Leigh pilgrim (Reply 9):
Also, go with BA WTP, even it the seat in fron reclines, your tray is in the armrest, problem solved!!

So is AY J PTV - impossible to stow if the seat in front is reclined.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Tomys

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:13 am

I somehow manage to eat even with seat in front of me downcast  Smile

But when I was flying from Tokyo last month, I had whole row for myself, so I lied down and tried to sleep. Attendant just woke me up saying please fasten your seatbelts so I won't need to wake you up once you will have to do so Big grin

jetblueatjfk

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:18 am

When I went to London they ladies in front of me put their seats back the whole way which made the video monitors closer and pointed down a little (had to adjust it-no biggy though) and one lady flew her jacket over the seat so the monitor and tray table were covered.  mad  But I just moved the jacket away and when the meal service came, they woke up.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

komododx

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:19 am

In certain a/c types, I actually find it useful that the person in front of me is reclined. Some of these tray tables don't slide so my food is a bit far and I might risk dropping the food travelling on my fork in mid-air from the plate to my mouth... It happened to me once and I was so pissed!

Stefano
I'm homeless and unemployed

glidepath73

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:48 am

EK is giving stickers on longhaulflights for this reason not to be waked up by misstake. The green one says: "Wake up for meal"
The pink one says : "Do not Disturb" The third says: "Wake me up for Duty Free"
You put the sticker on the top of your backrest. I love this idea! Those stickers coming with the bag for the earphones.
Very good service BTW.
 veryhappy 
Aviation! That rocks...

ANNOYEDFA

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:05 am

JetblueatjfkL Yeah right her coat on my TV and seat back! I would of tossed her coat... She would of gotten the hint........

Sorry guys but unless you paid for the seat infront of you for which the passenger is sitting in they have ever right to recline it from take-off until it's time to put it up.
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

ba319-131

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:14 am

When flying 'Y', I generally don't recline the seat as I can sleep very well sitting upright plus I don't like to reduce the limited room the person behind me has - boy, I wish someone like me sat in front of me Smile

In Business,which I now tend to use longhaul, I use the recline since there is more room and heck, you are paying for the room IMHO.

Rgds

Mark
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

NWADC9

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting SQno1 (Reply 10):
Isn't it BR that put a sticker on your shirt on your body to say youve missed a meal and if you woujld like one you can collect one from the cabin crew.

No, that's me Big grin

Quoting Glidepath73 (Reply 15):
EK is giving stickers on longhaulflights for this reason not to be waked up by misstake. The green one says: "Wake up for meal"
You put the sticker on the top of your backrest. I love this idea! Those stickers coming with the bag for the earphones.
Very good service BTW.
veryhappy

I wish NWA had those... Everytime I wake up, the fa's with the breakfast trays are headin' for the galley!
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

hjulicher

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:37 am

I find it annoying regardless but I don't say anything. I really hate inconveniecing other passengers. But on one flight, the FA ran out of food for the portion of the plane I was sitting in beginning with my row, so she had to go to the galley to replenish, and the lady in front of me was given a meal. However, I was served a drink. Later when I just began to eat, she was already finished, and she jerked her seat back to recline causing everything to spill all over me. Some people are just so inconsiderate.
LH 442

NWADC9

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting Hjulicher (Reply 19):
Later when I just began to eat, she was already finished, and she jerked her seat back to recline causing everything to spill all over me. Some people are just so inconsiderate.

And that's why I only recline when the movies are over, or if I'm the last row of that section, or I'm in first/business Wink
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Lemurs

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:50 am

I guess I'm used to eating like that...I've never once thought twice about it. Sure it's not like sitting at a table or anything, but the meals are so small and awkward to begin with, it just doesn't seem to make a difference. *shrug*

My only point is that I'm surprised at how many people really are affected like this. I had no idea.  eek 
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

aviationwiz

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:37 am

Once on SA they asked the person my dad was sitting behind to put her seat in the full up right position during Breakfast. The thing is, she had just set her seat back right after they made the announcement that they should move their seats into the full upright position. That's why I like the seats with the bulkhead behind me, no need to pull the seat up during meal service!
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

ozglobal

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:46 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 18):
Quoting Glidepath73 (Reply 15):
Very good service BTW.
veryhappy

I wish NWA had those... Everytime I wake up, the fa's with the breakfast trays are headin' for the galley!

AF has had these for a long time too, and they're really useful for skiping all meal services on that all too short JFK-CDG sector across the pond, where your really need to sleep and can easily get breakfast after you arrive.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

orlo3

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:41 am

Meal Service? What's that?

airgeek12

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:41 am

Question:

If I was sleeping on a trans-atlantic flight (VS747) and I was sleeping while meal service startes, would the F/A wake me up? If not, what would i have to do to get my meal?

PIA777

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:49 am

When I first went to Pakistan, I flew Kuwait Airways. I was so sleepy the entire flight but the FAs always woke me up and finally during the end of
the flight I got real upset. They feed you alot on Kuwait Airways, I felt like they were waking me up every hour. I guess It felt like that because they made so many stops from LHR to KHI.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

AXESS
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:46 am

I also like EK sticker system

airgeek12

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:00 am

Quoting AXESS (Reply 27):
I also like EK sticker system

What's that?

ACDC8

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:05 am

Airgeek12...EK gives you stickers that you put on your seats back to let the F/A know whether to wake you up for meal service, duty-free or to let you sleep.

If the airline you're flying doesn't have any of those you can always make a little note yourself and attach it to your seat somewhere. Works for me all the time.

regards

Patrick
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

airgeek12

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:08 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
Airgeek12...EK gives you stickers that you put on your seats back to let the F/A know whether to wake you up for meal service, duty-free or to let you sleep.

Oh ok, cool. If you choose to sleep, can you get a meal later?

geek

ACDC8

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting Airgeek12 (Reply 30):
Oh ok, cool. If you choose to sleep, can you get a meal later?

Thats a good question. I know you can do that in some biz classes but I highly doubt they'll do that in econo class. Anyone else know?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

AeroWesty

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:14 am

Quoting Airgeek12 (Reply 25):
would the F/A wake me up? If not, what would i have to do to get my meal?

When I'm flying first/business, I tell the flight attendant while taking my order it's okay to wake me for the meal. In coach, if I'm feeling sleepy, I will usually let them know during the first drink service that it's okay to wake me for the meal service if I fall asleep, and leave the tray table down as a silent reminder. Never had a problem with that in 30 years of flying, and have usually been thanked for letting them know.
International Homo of Mystery