Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Several people didn't like the new c/s, as there are very few things we can do by ourselves, here's my proposal:

Here's a link to MX's website were we can all suggest or give our opinion, perhaps they'll listen:

http://www.mexicana.com/g4mx/public/customer/mainCustomer2/

Ricardo APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

Avianca

RE: Mexicana's New Color Scheme

Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:33 am

in my opinion if they had a little bit more withe considered the paintsheme would be perfect....lol
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

MGA

Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:41 am

I love it... They finally got rid of that salad vomit green... NOW i'm liking MX!

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

Mexicana757

Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:10 am

It looks like a Star Alliance aircraft.

[Edited 2005-03-17 00:11:52]

AM001

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:41 am

Ricardo:
Are there any pics of the new interiors for Clase Ejecutiva?
Rgds,

AM001
"Je vole car cela libere mon esprit de la tyrannie des choses insignifiantes" - St. Exupery

USairways16BWI

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:03 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 3):
It looks like a Star Alliance aircraft.

true.... but i love it. Ive always liked dark colors on planes. the livery is plain, but the tail is now on my "favorite tail livery" list!

mike1974

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:10 am

this new color scheme would look neat on an A330 or A340.

personally, i like it.

LY4XELD

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:30 am

It looks like the logo was the wrong size for the tail. I like the color, but the logo placement looks like an error more than a deliberate design...
That's why we're here.

EddieDude

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:51 am

I have come to the conclusion that it does not look really awful, but simply unfinished. I think the belly and the exit and emergency exit doors should be painted the same dark color and then you would have a very modern and cool design.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

mtyfreak

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:53 am

The new C/S is great.....if they wanted a dead serious scheme, it is defenetly not my fav.

Just thinking about the fact that they had endless possibilities for creating a new Scheme and came out with this makes me feel a bit dissapointed. As a designer I don't think that you get to do an airliner very often so please concentrate!!!

Is just too serious,

Please tell the boys on the creativity department that they've done a great job.
Only here for the beer...

AM001

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:13 am

Quoting MTYFREAK (Reply 9):
Just thinking about the fact that they had endless possibilities for creating a new Scheme and came out with this makes me feel a bit dissapointed.

That's precisely the point!!! It's not bad, it's not ugly... But everyone (yeah, even me) expected something much more grand(er)... And it came up to be, hm, plain and simple to say the least... I don't understand why they didn't modified the white/gray combo... The change from the Golden Aztec to the multi-colored was astonishing... But this, they turned it into just another carrier... I think this is the big issue...

AM001
"Je vole car cela libere mon esprit de la tyrannie des choses insignifiantes" - St. Exupery

QuestAir

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:16 am

Personally, I liked the intricate tail designs of the mid-90's:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix
View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

I read that these were hand-painted and deemed by MX management too costly to continue with. Is this true?
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

ghost77

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting Am001 (Reply 4):
re there any pics of the new interiors for Clase Ejecutiva?

JC, you've got an email!

Ricardo APM

PanAm747

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:27 am

HIDEOUS!!

México is about vibrant colors, intricate indiginous designs, spectacular scenery, and some of the most hot and spicy cuisine on the planet. In short, México is never boring.

But this livery is. It looks foreign-imposed. It needs to go!

Any other comments I could make about it would need to be  censored  .

But, it's not my decision to make. Just mine to comment on.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

anthsaun

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:35 pm

The logo can be improved by adding some light like if it were a metallic shine. The grey belly looks bad; all white would make it look better. And at the engines I would vanish the dark blue into white at the end.

But the big question is... Why dark blue?

... Could it be because Telmex is Blue? Or

... Could it be because Telcel is Blue? Or

... Could it be because C. S. wears dark blue business suits?
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

737-990

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:56 pm

It looks cheap. The body of the plane is the same as the old (white top, grey bottom, letters still written in the same print) the only thing that changed was the tail and the engine nacels. I know that we're all armchair CEOs, but I could have done a better job with paint shop on my laptop. It's almost like it's an interim scheme. Yes, that's what I'll tell myself, an interim scheme until the new owners change it again next year. Wishful thinking?
Happiest is a man who has his vocation as a hobby

CactusA319

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:04 pm

They could have done so much better....

The tail is not bad, but the grey belly kind of clashes with the rest of the plane. They should have made it white or better yet the same dark blue color of the tail and engines. The old multi-color tail designs of the '90's were far better.

AM now has the best looking planes in Mexico.

ciccone

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Im having mixed views on this.

I understand the concept of what they were trying to do, a new modern look to there existing logo, just like UA, but it didn't come out right.

The almost black color is not working. When I think of Mexico, I think of bright colors, not dark blue or black. And what's up with the logo hanging off the tail???? If I wasn't familiar with MX, I wouldn't know what it was supposed to be.

They should of gone for more of what TAP did with they new image. It has festive colors.

View Large View Medium

Photo © António José Avelar

I do like that the engines are finally a color other than grey. I'm sure it will grow on me though. Can't wait to see it in person in SAT. Maybe I will have a different view of it in person. Then again, maybe 737-990 is right, the new owners next year will just change it again.

Cheers
Ciccone from SAT
318 319 320 321 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 739 752 762 763 772 DC9 DC10 E120 E145 E170 MD80 MD90 F100 CRJ CR7 CR9

miamix707

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Quoting QuestAir (Reply 11):
Personally, I liked the intricate tail designs of the mid-90's

well unfortunately it seems latin airlines nowadays absolutely don't care about brand recognition or how their planes look on the outside. It's a shame for us aviation enthusiasts, photographers, etc because nowadays, as PanAm747 said, their liveries seem foreign-inspired. In no way this represents a colorful nation like Mexico.

I actually thought the first pics Ricardo posted looked ok, I guess it was the lighting inside the hangar. Now these latest pics outside and oh my.. that's horrible!!! Judging by the current trends, I don't think the major design agencies would've done anything with bright colors or much more eye-pleasing, but it still begs the question: Who designed this thing for them? The son of the CEO?

This new look will be the benchmark for bad taste. Now people will say: Hope it's not uglier than Mexicana.

mtyfreak

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:59 pm

What about the uniforms for the F/A's ??

Is it going to be a more smart casual uniform to blend nicely with the new scheme???

It should be a must!!  Big grin
Only here for the beer...

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:39 am

Did the interiors change also? I the last plane I was in was back in the early 90's when it was still all coach.
We Are UNITED!

stirling

Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:06 am

This new c/s must be cheaper to apply. It certainly doesn't break any new ground artistically....rather bland and boring. A thin orange pinstripe at the cheat line would have done wonders for this design, adding style points without dipping into gaudiness.
Delete this User

SFOMEX

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:06 am

Quoting Anthsaun (Reply 14):
But the big question is... Why dark blue?

... Could it be because Telmex is Blue? Or

... Could it be because Telcel is Blue? Or

... Could it be because C. S. wears dark blue business suits?

I dunno. But now that I think about it, Sanborns "Tecolote" would be awesome on the tail...  faint 

PS. Tecolote = Owl.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

ghost77

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:36 am

Latest news....! There's a rumor around that apparently MX might make a few changes to their new c/s!

As for QA here's a confirmation... they will be re-named Mexicana Clic. They will get a new c/s also!

Ricardo APM

aerokiwi

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:55 am

The new colours look like the uniform of preppy student at a private school - blue blazer, grey pants.

Boring and doesn't reflect Mexico in the slightest.

the pics of the mid 90s scheme puts the new livery to shame. If they kept the green, yellow and pink tails from the, WOW - that would be awesoem. But this is just blah.

rikkus67

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:25 am

After seeing the new scheme, I was very disappointed. While the colourscheme is clean...it certainly isnt inspiring at all. Some one had mentioned about bringing back the gold colours, so I decided to play around a bit...here is what I came up with:

Modified Airliner Photos:
Design © Rik Barry
Template © Rik Barry

AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

rikkus67

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:58 am

has anybody heard anything more on a revision of the new scheme?

miamix707

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:31 pm

Nice one Rick, too much ATA and Icelandair there but hey.. it might actually be an improvement over their new livery.

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 24):
the pics of the mid 90s scheme puts the new livery to shame

Exactly. You'd think they'r are progressing forward, yet their early 90's white scheme with the colorful tails was far superior. Let the color flow down to the fuselage please, not just paint the tail. Also keep the green, and if adding some blue use a bright blue not that depressing funeral black/blue. That oversized logo is one lame attempt at looking trendy and it didnt work. That A320 in this livery looks like some kind of halloween horror witch plane.

I have a better Idea since they wanna save on paint so much. All white plane, with the Mexicana symbol on the tail in a bright blue shade, and some bright green diagonal dashes on the rear half of the fuselage. the Mexicana titles and font could stay where they are and the gray bottom is eliminated.

Simple, cool and the most important thing for Mexicana: cheap  Smile

rikkus67

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:45 pm

MIAMIx707... thanks...

My idea was simply to CHEAPLY update what they already had, while introducing colours that were formerly popular (and by request of another A.net member).

I DO agree the full-colour tails were the best scheme Mexicana had... Reminiscent of the Braniff "jellybean" scheme...always a treat to see which colour you get...

anthsaun

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:12 pm

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 23):
As for QA here's a confirmation... they will be re-named Mexicana Clic. They will get a new c/s also!

Mexicana Clic!!!!!

Cool!!!!!!!!! It sounds friendly, Clic, Clic, Clic.... A lot better than Express, than Low Cost, than... But, where does the Clic come from? From the @net? So it won´t be an airline with a website, but a website that has flight services.

About the c/s change... Anything might be even better than what there is now. Let´s advice the guys at MX not to think too much and not too hire any designers. If they just read this post they would get the early 90´s design back.

How much more does it cost to bring back the color tails? I don´t think they are really that expensive. I´m sure they are not hand painted by artists from "San Carlos", nor from "INBA".

You know, a hand painted graffiti from an East LA Mexican would really look good on top of the aircraft.

Sorry for being pessimistic. I´m still upset by the new c/s.
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

ghost77

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:34 pm

Anthsaun,

Yeah, I'm sure MX Clic will have something to do with the WWW.

As for... being pessimistic, apparently you missed reply 23! As I said above their are strong rumors of modifying the new c/s with little but important changes!

Ricardo APM

JOSEMEX

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:39 pm

A really dumb question but...if MX is about to be sold, what's the point of introducing a new color scheme now, instead of waiting until it's sold and letting the new owners get whatever scheme they want?

I know the official reason (or should I say "excuse"?) is that it's being done to save money, but i figure that by the time most of the fleet gets the new scheme and the savings are seen, the new owners should already be on board (am i right?).

Maybe someone wanted to make some business before the airline is sold?

LatinPlane

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:07 pm

Anthusan

Quoting Anthsaun (Reply 29):
How much more does it cost to bring back the color tails? I don´t think they are really that expensive. I´m sure they are not hand painted by artists from "San Carlos", nor from "INBA".

It's very expensive for an airline to adopt such types of branding. As you know, over the years a few airlines management groups have tried implementing and experimenting the concept and one after the other have determined it to be an utmost waste of resources. While in the beggining it might be used as a nice catchy marketing ploy, a fare paying passenger will be more happier not by what's painted on the tail, but by quality of service he/she get on board (i.e., more confortable seats in First class, clean and confortable VIP lounges, good customer service, etc.).

With the colorful tails, Mexicana wanted to be Mexico's cultural ambassador to the world. Mexicana hired national designers to go abouts the country in search of original native patterns made by the distinct Native American groups that inhabit the country. I used to have poster with each and every one of the patterns selected along with the names and background of the ethnic group that had designed it. Mexicana must have paid not only the certified designers a nice sum, (the indians probably got nothing) but probably had to hire quite a bit of extra help in its marketing department to make sure each in every tail looked like a work of art and then also worry about the design of the ticket jackets and seasonal schedules, or paid a designing firm a nice sum to get that job done. Let's not think about how many types of paints Mexicana's maintenance base had have in its inventory, and how many different types of oversiced pieces of decals, stencils, and such must of had to be specially ordered and made (all different) from outside vendors. That's just what I can think of, but I'm pretty sure there's much more to it. Anybody have experience with what goes along with painting an airliner?

More recently, British Airways learned what from Mexicana's mistake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/business/story_air120699.shtml

Nevertheless, I wonder why it is, but it seems to work for Frontier. Did I just discredit my two paragraphs?  Smile

Quoting Anthsaun (Reply 29):
You know, a hand painted graffiti from an East LA Mexican would really look good on top of the aircraft.

ill  It's called: Mexicana de Aviacion, not: Pocha de Aviacion!  biggrin 

SmileLatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

AirOrange

Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:19 pm

The new Mexicana livery design is a disappointment. An outlined logo (and especially this Mexican symbol) is not very suitable for an airline's aircraft paint design.

henpol747

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:30 am

I really expected something better!! Nothing new under the sun!!

hissyfit 

Henpol747
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

jopavon

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:16 am

I'll miss having names on the planes. It was always nice to see your hometown in the plane.  Sad

navega

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:01 pm

I recently saw the airplane in Mexico and it really looks
sharp. Although I agree that Mexico is a colorful country,
it is also modern and I believe Mexicana wants to project
this. It is more business like and in person it looks great.

Believe me the colors look better in person and it gives
Mexicana a more professional, business like appearance.

Just my opinion.

AeroVodochody

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:06 pm

Its plain and simple but it still looks great.
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

sr117

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:22 pm

Well call me filthy but... I don't think it's quite that bad anymore, and if as Ghost says, they do a few other minor touches here and there, it might look quite nice !

And regarding those old multi-colored tails from the 90s, sure, some of them looked interesting and it was fun from a spotter's perspective, but personally, I thought some of them were -hideous-, especially some of the orange ones, I particularly remember a certain orange and green one, truly awful.

I don't think that a mexican airline needs to have flashy colors to look "mexican" any more than I think that FAs have to dress like Chinas Poblanas (or Charros) to look the part, MX wants to project a more serious image and I think this image is a good step in that direction.

miamix707

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Little modifications to this horrible scheme won't cut it. They need a completely NEW design or stick to the old. Many airlines have done this before and realized the old one was better and the new one was ditched.

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 32):
More recently, British Airways learned what from Mexicana's mistake.

British Airways had some really complicated artwork for each tail, not something that could've been done by just masking off the design and spraying the base color (like it could have been done with Mexicana, which only had 2 colors per tail)..although I hear they were hand painted. Not only that, BA's fleet was much bigger and much bigger tails to paint too, plenty of 747s...

Mexicana could use a simpler pattern, not something super complicated like before or do without them completely. They could use 5 different colors, that's not that many. Even if it's just one color paint more than the tail, if only the tail is painted it just looks awful. Again, if they're gonna go for this simple generic euro design make the color go down to the fuselage, like before!

Just thought of something.. Painting different tails too expensive? Have an inmate crew do this, don't have to pay them, and they'll be doing something useful for society.. just an idea Big grin

SE210Caravelle

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:55 pm

It's nice. But not great. I would get rid of the gray underbelly and make the whole fuselage black. Then I would make a whitle line across the fuselage just below the windows, which extends up at the back of the plane and connects to the tail art. This would be unique and just plain great!

Thanks,

S E 2 1 0 C a r a v e l l e

navega

Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:09 pm

Just wanted everyone to know that the color is not BLACK,
it is a Navy Blue. I also thought it was black at first until
I saw the airplane in person.

It really looks quite share and next to the old colors, it looks
much better now.

Think it will take time to get used to this change. Also I saw pictures of their new uniforms in one of their inflight magazines and they are really sharp. The male flight attendants will have light blue ties and the female flight attendants will have nice blouses with the Mexicana logos.

The inside of the aircraft apparently has a different color scheme in Business Class with a light grey/blue carpet and
lighter colored seats. The Coach cabin remains the same.

A flight attendant told me they will change the Business Class seats soon that will have intergrated PVT's behind the
seats in Business Class and the China and napkin colors
in this class is also to change. Apparently Mexicana is doing a complete overhaul. They also mentioned route expantion to Peking or Shanghai and more cities in the U.S., Canada and South America.

Sounds like something good and exciting is happening at
Mexicana.

N405MX

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:13 pm

Quoting NAVEGA (Reply 41):
Just wanted everyone to know that the color is not BLACK,
it is a Navy Blue

He´s right, but at night seems like black, also on landing the logo looks like a skull (creepy indeed), but looks good, the seats in ejecutiva are all blue, and again (terca la mula al trigo) the grey doesn´t see very good.

Got some pictures of ejecutiva, I´ll try to upload them, really busy these days.

Saludos

Logan
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

ghost77

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:33 am

Quoting NAVEGA (Reply 41):
Just wanted everyone to know that the color is not BLACK, it is a Navy Blue

Right! Aircraft is Navy Blue not BLACK. Lets go back to History... Navy Blue is back to MX.. their TRUE and ORIGINAL colors... MX back to 92 introduce those colorful tails and later switched to green for 14 years. But previous the Azteca de Oro c/s, MX was Navy BLUE! They've always used Navy Blue!

Former LAMSA, then to MX[Navy Blue c/s] and later to AM:

View Large View Medium

Photo © GABRIEL BREMONT

Navy Blue/Black original MX colors for 70 years:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alejandro De Leo
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © L. Franco - Aviation Photography Of Miami
View Large View Medium

Photo © Clive Dyball

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yakfreak - VAP
View Large View Medium

Photo © Haxel Garcia

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix
View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert Grandolfo

Ricardo APM