iowaman

UA Adds Additonal Flight From LAX/SFO-HNL,SFO-Maui

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:46 am

United offers more daily flights from the mainland to Hawaii than any other carrier. This summer, United will be increasing from four to five daily flights in both the Los Angeles-Honolulu and San Francisco-Honolulu markets.

In addition, United's San Francisco-Maui service will increase from three to four daily flights.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050317/cgth027_2.html

ua2162

RE: UA Adds Additonal Flight From LAX/SFO-HNL,SFO-Maui

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:39 am

I'm glad the article mentioned they are going to continue the ORD-OGG-KOA-ORD flight. I guess it's been successful. I also wonder if they'll add another daily to KOA from LAX or SFO - the two we already have are great but three would be better. I just took the KOA-LAX last night and it was packed (as it always is.)

I also notice while waiting for my flight that AA upgraded from a 757 to a 767 for their late KOA-LAX flight so I guess the market's there for UA to take.

daron4000

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:41 am

Great news from UA, only one question, where do they, and any airline get the aircraft needed to fly new routes or extra frequencies?

DAL767400ER

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:16 am

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 2):
Great news from UA, only one question, where do they, and any airline get the aircraft needed to fly new routes or extra frequencies?

There are four possibilities:
#1 The airline gets new aircraft (only applies to LCCs)
#2 The airline pulls plane from the desert
#3 The airline adjusts its schedule.
#4 The airline reduces frequencies on other routes
In most cases, and quite possibly in UA's case, it is a combination of #3 and #4, e.g. an airline adjusts it's schedule by having a plane fly one additional segment per day, made possible by better time slots and reduced turnaround time. Doing that with many planes would offer several additional flights. the airline now has plans for a flight that needs a bigger plane, 767 or 757, but doesn't have any at hand. If they can't free up a plane by expanding the 767/757 utilization, they look which route(s) they can pull such a plane from, and then replace it with a 737 and perhaps a CRJ as well.

aloha73g

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:11 pm

WOW.....more anecdotal evidence that Hawai'i flights are NOT money losers. Hawai'i to mainland flights must be one of the fastest growing mrkets in the country since 9/11 and seems to be making a good return for the carriers, which is why they keep addign flights. GREAT news for HNL and our states Tourism industry!

Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

MAH4546

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 4):
WOW.....more anecdotal evidence that Hawai'i flights are NOT money losers.

Not at all.

Airlines simply make up for the low yield by sending lots of seats and high-capacity planes into the market. What they lose in yield they make up in bulk.
a.

as739x

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:13 am

Unparrelleled connections to Asia from LAX on UA? What? They serve NRT and what from Los Angeles? Yet out of SFO they serve NRT/KIX/NGO/PEK/ICN/HKG/PVG. I don't think the 2 compare Asian connect wise. Interesting words from the PR people!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"