aa777flyer

Passengers That Dont Have A Clue!

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:49 am

Ok so I was REALLY bored today and went to ride the airtrain around SFO for a bit. (COOL views). Anyway this couple in about their late 50's could not find their ailine on the map or the signs. Apparently their travel agent printed the itinerary as ATA, not America Trans Air as we all would easily figure out. Anyway as we approached the south terminal the announcement for Air Tran Airways came up, the assumed that was their airline get it? A.T.A. also? Ha ha I had to try to not laugh at them. Hope they eventually found their way!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

AA767400

RE: Passengers That Dont Have A Clue!

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:54 am

I can see where this is going to go real quick. BEWARE!
"The low fares airline."

emiratesa345

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:00 am

Wow... you need a hobby.

Do understand that not everyone is as "aviation informed" as most on this site.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

NWAFA

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 am

I feel sorry for this couple...the once a year flyers, and the older people need our assitance...its not that they don't have a clue, they just did not know..there is a differance.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 am

A lot of people never travel, so I can totally understand their confusion. Travel agents are still in business because there are people who travel very rarely, or who don't know as much a regular travellers do.

The question is though - did you go up and offer to help them out?

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

isitsafenow

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:03 am

We see you are not the good Samaritan we all have heard about. Why the heck didnt you help them out, guy?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

nwafflyer

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:03 am

And, we need to help them -- not laugh at them, that's pretty stupid -- one of these days we'll all be old, and I cannot imagine laughing at them, as opposed to helping them -- sign of a stupid silly child there to laugh

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:08 am

Come on we all need a good laugh every once in a while. After the AA FA's struck in the mid 90's, and they had the fare wars to try to win back business. I was boarding a EV ATR-72 at DFW and an elderly lady actually wanted to know if the plane lands on water, because she saw the main gear wheel housing. HaHaHa, I was rolling.
We Are UNITED!

nwafflyer

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:13 am

Oh come on now, just plain grow up -- there is never a need to laugh at elderly people -- and from your perspective, I'm probably ancient, because I'm well over 50 -- however, I fly over 100,000 miles a year, and am always willing to help a fellow passenger - be it a mother with child (have given up my first class seat more than once), or be it a confused "old" person

May you grow old in a nicer enviroment than you are presenting here

Yeah, Johan, I know this post will be deleted -- so what

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:19 am

Nwafflyer, no reason to delete your post. Your right. I was just a young ramp rat back then. And it's not like I have had the wool pulled over my eyes. Like going to get prop wash or a key to start the airplane. But, you have to laugh. What was the funniest thing that you ever saw? Probably some first time flyer asking some naive question. And you answered, then went to the galley (out of sight) and chuckled about it. That the great thing about the airline business. There is never a dull moment.
We Are UNITED!

NWAFA

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:20 am

I feel sorry for the older people flying...I will be walking through the terminal somewhere, and if they look lost, I try to make an effort to help them out...airports are easy for us that love and are in the industry..for those that fly once a year and save their money for that "once in a life dream trip", the whole process can be very intimidating.

NWAFFLyer,

Im 46, so I guess Im in the "old fart group" now!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

nudelhirsch

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:22 am

AA777flyer, it will be my personal pleasure to drop you in a metropolitan are somewhere in the world and let you figure out the system of public transportation.
It will also be my pleasure to take pics and videos of that adventure.
don't take it personal. Just imagine the thread when all railway geeks would laugh at you, because you mess up underground3948 with underground2098 and end up at the wrong place.
Got it?
Great, I thought you would get the point...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:23 am

I am glad to see that there are still "nice" fellow airline employees out there.
We Are UNITED!

nudelhirsch

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:28 am

Quoting Jdaniel001 (Reply 12):
I am glad to see that there are still "nice" fellow airline employees out there.

How about the opposite...
Let's start a TV-show...
We hire folks who will play stupid in front of employees. All those who lie or go wild will be reported to their managers, live on TV...wow...that would be awesome...
All those "know-it-all" show offs being fired live on TV, terrific.

Wink

I have so many ideas, I should be a millionaire by now!
Putana da Seatbeltz!

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:34 am

So where did that show "Airline" go to?
We Are UNITED!

WindowSeat

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:37 am

I usually go out of my way to help people at airports with airline stuff if I know something they don't. But I personally take offense at people who think they know everything but in fact they do not.

On a Delta SEA-ATL flight, the passenger next to me argued with me that the aircraft that we were in was not a 767-400. Problem is, it was. He maintained it was a 767-300. I pointed out to the new 777-style interiors, the longer cabin, and naturally the raked wingtips which were clearly visible. He protested that they were merely enhancements. Finally, I said, "if Boeing made so many 'enhancements' to the 767-300 then wouldn't they call it the 767-400?". He wasn't giving up easily, he stopped a passing flight attendant and asked her what aircraft type it was. She told him it was the 767. He asked, what series? To which she calmly replied," the 400, sir". He didn't speak another word throughout the flight.

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:44 am

Nice story WindowSeat. I hate when people swear up and down, that someone else, i.e. the agent at the ticket counter, gave them to o.k. to do something that you know they can't. Like carry-on's. Oh man, I don't know how many people I had to pry the 3rd, 4th or 5th carry-on out of their hands. Or tell someone to stop smoking on the ramp. "Oh, the gate agent said I could." Yea right..
We Are UNITED!

nudelhirsch

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:45 am

window-seat - well done!
with his assumptions he really insulted you, your family, and everybody you know. He deserves severe punishment.

What the ...????

Why does it offend you personally if random guy John Doe thinks he is on a 763 while you tell him it is a 764??????????????????

Grow the **** up!!!
What is offensive about that?
Relax, kiddie!
Putana da Seatbeltz!

KYIPpilot

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:50 am

Hey aaflyer, I bet you don't have a clue about Great Lakes shipping. Why? Because it is not your hobby, like it is mine and others. ATA is easy to confuse if you do not fly.

Believe it or not, most people don't care what airline or even what airplane they fly on; all they want to do is get from point A to point B.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

nudelhirsch

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:54 am

[irony]
Pax who cannot name Airline, Callsign, Glightnumber, Equipment Type and Rego in an instant, they should all be sent to Guantanamo...
[/irony]
Putana da Seatbeltz!

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:54 am

Come on, you have to care what airline your flying on. How do you expect to collect those FF miles.  Silly
We Are UNITED!

isitsafenow

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:04 pm

On the Delta 767-300/400 thing, just show the guy the safety card. That ought to settle the debate.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

WindowSeat

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:12 pm

Quoting Nudelhirsch (Reply 17):
with his assumptions he really insulted you, your family, and everybody you know. He deserves severe punishment.

What the ...????

Why does it offend you personally if random guy John Doe thinks he is on a 763 while you tell him it is a 764??????????????????

Grow the **** up!!!
What is offensive about that?
Relax, kiddie!

The problem is he was unwilling to accept that his information was not correct. In case you didn't notice, he chose to take it up with the F/A with embarrassing results. We all know what perception in this industry means, don't kid yourself. Don't discount what it did to the DC-10.

And honestly, judging from your comment above, dunno who needs to really relax. Did it get you that worked up to swear? blah
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

nudelhirsch

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Windowseat, did you get embarassed or that guy?

Why do you care about his embarassement???
Take it easy...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

WindowSeat

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Quoting Nudelhirsch (Reply 23):
Windowseat, did you get embarassed or that guy?

Not sure if it's your grammatical skills or pure intellect (or the lack thereof)

Quoting Nudelhirsch (Reply 23):
Why do you care about his embarassement???

finally, you figured it out!
I don't care about his embarrassment. For the third time, he chose to ask the F/A. He walked right into that one. What I do care about is the misconception of passengers about the industry and the aircraft in particular. Ignorance may be bliss, but it is also rife with speculation, something that the industry can do without.

xORDLLAA

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:34 pm

Confusing ATA with Air Tran happend really often while I was working on MDW . A lot of times passengers were standing by ATA baggage claim waiting for Air Tran luggage. And vice versa. They were thinking that ATA stands for Air Tran Airlines (or Airways).
It was when few years ago, but I see it still happens.
life is beautiful...

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting Aa777flyer (Thread starter):
I had to try to not laugh at them. Hope they eventually found their way!

Maybe You could have assisted/educated them.
Did you.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Falcon84

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:25 pm

Our service center recently had a couple going SJU-CLE-BDL, and misconnected in CLE due to ATC, with snow and low ceilings here. The lady told our supervisor that we knew "months ago" that they were going to miss their connection in CLE.  Silly

Well, the supe showed them the exact time that our automated rebooking system rebooked them-20 minutes before they landed.

Here's your sign, folks.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

zippyjet

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:38 pm

We are a mommy society! Look, we sort of elected an imposter acting as US President. A bleached out geek with a penchant for hairless boys is a media star. We still buy and drive decadent ostentatious SUV's and we elevate T & A chicks like J Lo, Britney and the Simpson sisters who jiggle but couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag. People are lazy and expect the airline and or the government to take their hands and wipe their tushy's when they get lost, are late due to their carlelessness. Lately, passengers are with increasing frequency losing and leaving behind their cell phones, wallets, outer ware, shoes and one ditzy lady left her smelly designer Jimmy Chew shoes on one of our airplanes. Today, these same hapless folks whether it be here in aviation, or wherever will play the victim, blame everyone but themselves and then sic a shyster lawyer on us the airline or whatever institution they feel victimized them. [boxing]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

futureatp

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:18 pm

Here is a story on how one should act.

When I was working for HP in Phoenix, I took several days off and nonreved to and from Kansas City. Upon my return to PHX I noticed a woman in her 50's turning circles and looking lost right around gate A1. Her flight to OMA was oversold so HP bought her a ticket on Southwest. She was in tears and in a panic because WN was 20 minuets from departure and didnt have any idea where the WN gates are located. Apearently all the gate agent for HP told her was that Southwest was at the other end of the terminal. I identified myself as an off duty HP employee and pesented my badge. I had nothing else to do and gladly walked her to the int. concourse and down to the C-gates and to her gate(C-17 i think it was). A long walk yes, but faster and less stressful than her having to go through security again!

To any of us in here T4 in PHX is a large but simple layout. But this woman was from a small town in Nebraska and never traveled before. Heck I know of towns in Kansas and Nebraska that are smaller than T4! During the walk, I also explained to her how WN has the open seating policy and how she will have to check in at the gate to get a boarding pass with A,B,or C on it. And then I told her that her bag would still be on the HP flight and be waiting for her in OMA.( If she were a connecting passenger, I dont know what I would have told her!) She thanked me for my assistance and on she went.

I dont want to start another discussion about HP's customer servc. I dont know if the gate agent was rude, busy, or didnt realize that they were dealing an inexperenced traveler. But I did probably save a customer for HP. (well, at least for the time being!)

Point of the story is just be a good person and lend a hand if you can. Heck, I am a single 25 yo male. I felt just as lost doing last minute Christmas shopping in a crowded mall this year!

John

wilcharl

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:40 pm

Golly G im going to ride the airtrain around the airport and see what non educated aviation folks i can pick on .... No one knows what I know ?? I have worked at 9 airports and a common thing is for pax to confuse ATA and AirTran

You know it really gets me the cockyness and attitude of some of the people on here that think they are gods gift to the aviation community.. Im not going to toot my own horn, but i have been working in this industry since college, I am working as a professional in this industry getting paid very well.. Id put my knowledge of aviation and the industry up against almost anyone... My respected user raiting here is almost zero ... I cant wait for the day it reaches zero...

My point is this community though wonderful and great and has a wealth of knowledge in it is not reality... You get a group of aviation buffs and gurus together and you have a much higher knowledge then joe passenger..

An example i heard once a passenger saying i just got off a boeing 747 it was so big and had 6 seats across (i looked out the window and it was an a-321) Oh well let them think they had a 747 ride

zippyjet

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:53 pm

Quoting reply 30 Wilcharl You know it really gets me the cockyness and attitude of some of the people on here that think they are gods gift to the aviation community.. Im not going to toot my own horn, but i have been working in this industry since college, I am working as a professional in this industry getting paid very well.. Id put my knowledge of aviation and the industry up against almost anyone... My respected user raiting here is almost zero ... I cant wait for the day it reaches zero...

I feel, we in this community are not being mean or high and mighty. I for one enjoy my job and helping others. But, when people use ignorance to get ahead or get over, that is where I and maybe my fellow community members draw the line. One always learns something new everyday. However, when people use their lack of knowledge to justify rude behavior, deceit and aggravation for us the airline and their fellow passengers, then one has to take a look and assess this situation. Try being clueless on the Interstate when a cop pulls you over for doing 95 in a 50 mph. Zone. Are you going to say the cop was arrogant and Gods gift to Law Enforcement and the rules of the road?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

wilcharl

Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:03 pm

I can really see who the true good people are by reading this.. I have thought about it before... When we use our knowledge for a good thing, its a good fealing ... now when you tell the pax they are on ATA not Airtran and they insist you are wrong look at you like you have 3 heads and coninue on thier way ... thats when you can safely laugh at them

Welcome to my respected list zippyjet and nwafflyer

BCAL

Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:11 pm

On the topic of passengers who don't have a clue: I laughed my head off about the old lady who presented herself at the easyJet check in at Luton on 'Airline' and did not have the faintest idea where she was flying to. "How could anyone be so thick?" I asked many friends and commented like 'How could anyone go to an airport and not have the foggiest idea where they were going?"

Two years ago, a rich friend living in Ireland invited me to stay a weekend and paid for my return ticket, which I had to collect at the flybe ticket counter at LGW. "Where are you flying to?" asked the friendly flybe representative. It suddenly dawned on me that I did not know the name of the airport, other than it was in Ireland. Suddenly I saw myself as that stupid old woman in 'Airline'. Fortunately, flybe only flew to Belfast City in Ireland from LGW, and they quickly found my ticket. However, as we left the ticket counter for the check-in desk my travelling companion said "and you thought that woman in 'Airline' was the most stupid woman in the world.

[Edited 2005-03-18 10:14:38]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

MEA-707

Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:52 pm

Well, you can't force the general public to keep all those confusing airline names apart, just like you and I might not know all vacuum cleaner types etc. out of our head either, or the different bus companies with their exact schedules...

And you must admit airlines don't make it simple. In the old JFK shuttles their pretaped recording talked about "American Domestic" and "American International" and I met an African couple who wondered where the stop for "American Airlines " is. ATA, AirTran, American, America West, if I didn't know, I wouldn't know.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

backfire

Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:59 pm

I personally take offence at smart-arses who haven't worked out that frequently the best way to win an argument is to tactfully withdraw, even if what they're saying is correct.

tartan

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Good story BCAL. I remember that episode of Airline.

I still remember how unsure I felt as a teenager changing termainals on my own at LHR. Now I could do it with m eyes closed, but I always try to help anyone that looks lost.

BCAL

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:20 pm

Talking about passengers who do not have a clue. Just after Christmas, I was with some relatives who were checking in at LHR for their BA flight to Sydney, with a scheduled en route stop at Bangkok. The BA check-in clerk said that flights are operating normally after the tsunami. "Who is this Tsunami?" enquired the woman checking in at the next counter. "What's his first name? I have never heard of him" The surprised BA check-in clerk explained about the quake and tidal wave, and the lady said that she never heard about it as she did not read newspapers nor did she listen to the news!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ANCFlyer

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:35 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 27):
Well, the supe showed them the exact time that our automated rebooking system rebooked them-20 minutes before they landed.

Here's your sign, folks.

One of my favorite routines Falcon . . .  bigthumbsup 

Ha ha I had to try to not laugh at them. Hope they eventually found their way!

Did you bother to help these folks - these once a year fliers from who knows where trying to figure out their way at SFO - probably not. My first though is to hope that one day, you get the same treatment . . . and perhaps somewhere back in your memory you'll remember this day . . . and the light bulb in your mind will get just a tad brighter. Pathetic.  ashamed 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

soups

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:37 pm

on a MEA flight to ACC, a passenger asked the cabin crew (while at kano for a stop), do i get off here? the cabin crew asked her where is she going she replied lama (instead of lome) he then checked her ticket and said you are going to Accra not lama. where is lama anyway? she replied togo. he then said its lome not lama and he expalined to her how to get there from Accra (Courtesy bus from MEA).
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

WindowSeat

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:23 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 33):
'How could anyone go to an airport and not have the foggiest idea where they were going?"

It is very much possible! For different reasons entirely though.

My friends and I routinely buy each other "mystery weekends" where you are only told to keep a certain weekend free. The day before, you get a call telling you to check in with say..Delta at 7.30 pm. Until you get your boarding pass you have no idea where you are going. Your friends show up at the city wherever you are going and you all have a good time. I've flown a few friends of mine from the West Coast to Boston and New York a couple of times, and they have flown me likewise.

Not too long ago, I was asked to check in with jetBlue at JFK by one of my friends and when I got there, they did not have a reservation. She asked me when my flight was, and I said I don't know. She asked me where I was going, and I had no idea!! She took one good look at me and probably thought I had run off from a mental asylum or something. Turned out, I had to check in with Delta, which I did only to find out I was booked on the non-stop to San Francisco.

cheers

UN_B732

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:38 pm

I feel sorry for people like that. We were in Vienna and there was a Russian speaking company with a flight #xxxx to Kharkov, Ukraine. There was a notehr airline 's flight with the same # going to a different city, which they thought was theres. We explained it to them and they understood. May they be well in Kharkov!
-Mr. X
What now?

schipholjfk

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:06 pm

Ok so I was REALLY bored today and went to ride the airtrain around SFO for a bit. (COOL views).

Wow... you need to find a life or a hobby. The fact that you didn't help them out says a volume.
The fun of flying... love it !!!

lekohawk

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:07 pm

WindowSeat... those "mystery weekend" things sound like a blast! I'm gonna have to try that sometime.

As for laughing at v. helping people I'm going to say that the helping almost always is the better idea. At least at first. If they're still stupid after you try to help them... meh... their loss.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

ORD2PHL

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:15 pm

I find the fact that you went out to SFO to laugh at the elderly a whole bunch more CLUELESS then the once/year flyer who mistook one airline for another.

Get a grip, and a life.

ORD2PHL

backfire

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:26 pm

"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do something. And then watch someone else do it wrong...without commenting."

Don't know who said it first, but it's very true. Seems like a few people on this forum are unable to master this little bit of behavioural etiquette.

jorge1812

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:33 pm

Many replies exactly saying what I wanna say - so I don't have to post my opinion.

Just search for the reply a reply of the thread-starter and you'll notice that he must've checked what he did wrong. And I know that somewhere on the world is a place where he would be like the couple...come On Aa777flyer and have a ride with the public transport in Dresden, it's called to be very good - but only if you're perfect in understanding...

Thread finished!

jdaniel001

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 pm

I think the lesson here is to help out the people need it?
We Are UNITED!

MCI777

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 28):
We are a mommy society! Look, we sort of elected an imposter acting as US President. A bleached out geek with a penchant for hairless boys is a media star. We still buy and drive decadent ostentatious SUV's and we elevate T & A chicks like J Lo, Britney and the Simpson sisters who jiggle but couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag. People are lazy and expect the airline and or the government to take their hands and wipe their tushy's when they get lost, are late due to their carlelessness. Lately, passengers are with increasing frequency losing and leaving behind their cell phones, wallets, outer ware, shoes and one ditzy lady left her smelly designer Jimmy Chew shoes on one of our airplanes. Today, these same hapless folks whether it be here in aviation, or wherever will play the victim, blame everyone but themselves and then sic a shyster lawyer on us the airline or whatever institution they feel victimized them. [boxing]

Wow...I like most of your post and I agree wholeheartedly.

Wow...at first I thought you were just another liberal but you finished your post with some of the best conservative rhetoric Ive heard in a while... Smile

BWI757

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:12 am

FutureATP,

You're my first respected user on my list.

BRAVO!

In additon to decency, you took a negative experience for a flustered HP customer and turned it into a positive one. You'll go far in the service industry!

HP should be proud of you.

And let's keep the "clueless" jokes here on A.net. Basic human decency should be exercised when we see lost/confused people. If anything, you're putting all that trivia to good use.

BWI757
I live in the US but my heart is in Jerusalem!