GroundStop

AirTran Helps Stranded ODU Basketball Team

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:14 pm

The Old Dominion University Monarchs Men's Basketball team was travelling on Delta Air Lines to their tournament game in Minneapolis on Thursday evening when their travel plans were disrupted by the ATL weather. Apparently, the team misconnected in ATL and was told by Delta that there was nothing that could be done to get them to MSP, despite numerous pleas from the school as well as the NCAA. My desk received a call from our Manager of Charter Operations seeking assistance in getting the team to MSP. They were initially willing to charter an entire an entire plane for the 15 players. I was able to get all 15 players confirmed seats on our Flight 858 (10 of the 15 in Business Class). The NCAA as well as ODU were highly impressed with our effort and highly unimpressed with that of our competitor. And now, after a 12 hour shift, I'm going to pass out before all the 'Well....AirTran still sucks!' posts start.

JP

ANCFlyer

RE: AirTran Helps Stranded ODU Basketball Team

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:17 pm

Quoting Groundstop (Thread starter):
The Old Dominion University Monarchs Men's Basketball team was travelling on Delta Air Lines to their tournament game in Minneapolis on Thursday evening when their travel plans were disrupted by the ATL weather. Apparently, the team misconnected in ATL and was told by Delta that there was nothing that could be done to get them to MSP, despite numerous pleas from the school as well as the NCAA

Good Old Legacy Carrier . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jetdeltamsy

Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:20 pm

airtran is consistently providing outstanding service in atlanta.

i have worked for delta 12 years and this is not easy to admit. but they're smoking us on a daily basis in many ways.

and guess what??? airtran is making money.

what's wrong with this picture????
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

sunking737

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 pm

Good Job Airtran.
You do great Customer Service.
Every team member and family of that team will pass on how great Airtran is.
Better than spending money to advertise.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

DAYflyer

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:31 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 2):
airtran is consistently providing outstanding service in atlanta.

i have worked for delta 12 years and this is not easy to admit. but they're smoking us on a daily basis in many ways.

and guess what??? airtran is making money.

what's wrong with this picture????

I think that this post about says it all. So much for all the Airtran bashing. I think they are a great airline that has a very bright future ahead of it. DL, on the other hand, is in terrible shape and may not survive.
One Nation Under God

5NEOO

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:47 pm

The Old Dominion University Monarchs Men's Basketball team was travelling on Delta Air Lines to their tournament game in Minneapolis on Thursday evening when their travel plans were disrupted by the ATL weather.

Are you confusing MSP for BOS? The ODU Monarchs are playing MSU Spartans in Worcester, MA.
Admit it, you could care less about the continent Africa!

bobnwa

Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:55 pm

Shouldn't the Air Tran employee who started this story know where what city he booked them to!! Was it BOS or MSP?

NWADTW

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:18 pm

You are correct, 5NEOO. The Spartans and the Monarchs are set to tip-off tonight in Worcester, MA around 9:30 PM.

kyair

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:26 pm

Uh oh! Flt. 858, according to Airtran's website, does indeed go to MSP. The Monarchs may not be so impressed with Airtran once they deplane in MN instead of MA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss

dynkrisolo

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:37 pm

It's the women's team that will be playing in Minneapolis.

N867BX

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:54 pm

I'm going to pass out before all the 'Well....AirTran still sucks!' posts start.

Are you asleep yet, Airtrain still sucks!  stirthepot 

PHLBOS

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting N867BX (Reply 10):
Are you asleep yet, Airtrain still sucks!

What does the new train in New York have to do with all this?  laughing 
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

stlgph

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:17 pm

Apparently, the team misconnected in ATL

You'd think at least one out of 15 could figure out where they are going...

:P
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

kyair

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:40 pm

Good point, STLGph! Groundstop is in MCO, so apparently the whole team boarded a Delta flight in ATL going to Orlando instead of MSP!

A bit off the main point of this thread, but if they don't play until Sat night, why the big rush to get there Thurs night? I understand they need to arrive a day or so early and practice, but I'm sure DL could have gotten them to MSP early Fri.

ATLhomeCMH

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:08 am

I understand they need to arrive a day or so early and practice, but I'm sure DL could have gotten them to MSP early Fri

That's not the point. The point is that DL apparently--if Groundstop's post is accurate--didn't do exhaust all efforts trying to please the customer.

AirTran strikes again!  Smile
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

GroundStop

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:21 am

Eh, it was long night, and I don't follow college basketball unless its Florida State. And we all know they aren't in the Tourney. So, it was the women's team. I received a call from the NCAA Travel Desk at around 2030 last night to book 15 TBA ODU basketball players to MSP, sorry for the assumption about it being the men's team.

Quoting KYAir (Reply 13):
Good point, STLGph! Groundstop is in MCO

Yes, I am in MCO, along with the HDQ/SOC of AirTran, where I work...which is about a 10 minute drive from the terminal, unless you want to cross two active runways.

JP

kyair

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:28 am

GroundStop: Right. My point wasn't that you couldn't tell men from women, I assumed you had no direct contact with the team. My point, and I believe STLGph's as well, was that the entire team apparently boarded a DL flight in ATL going to MCO instead of MSP. At least I assume that, as your original post said they "misconnected".

sunking737

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:30 am

GroundStop, I have added you to my respected users list. I work with our AOC daily.
They do have their hands full. Saturdays right now are a nightmare as our Mexico flights always come home late and there is only 4 gates out of 10 that handle international arrivals for us, and 3 other airlines in MSP at the HHH terminal.

Keep up the good work.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

ltbewr

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:35 am

AirTran gets a lot of great PR from this, and maybe some new customers. I am quite sure these women, some of whom are or may later have jobs that require frequent flying, will have second thoughts about using Delta after the problem they had. I would also suspect that their University will consider AirTran for sports teams charter flights in the future. In all, it looks like a win-win for AirTran, and a lose-lose for DL.

gr8slvrflt

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:36 am

Quoting KYAir (Reply 16):
GroundStop: Right. My point wasn't that you couldn't tell men from women, I assumed you had no direct contact with the team. My point, and I believe STLGph's as well, was that the entire team apparently boarded a DL flight in ATL going to MCO instead of MSP. At least I assume that, as your original post said they "misconnected".

Nobody said anything about MCO. The way I read it the team arrived in ATL after their DL flight to MSP had already left. DL wouldn't provide any further help so they called FL who put them on their flight to MSP.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

GroundStop

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:15 am

Thank you Gr8SlvrFlt (and Congratulations by the way!) for clarifying. I'm assuming the team arrived from either RIC, PHF, or ORF at ATL and misconnected for their MSP flight. It was obviously very urgent for the team to get to MSP as they were willing to charter a 717. Since we didn't have an aircraft or crew for a charter, I was able to override the capacity cap on flight 858 to book all 15 players (after having verified there would be enough no-shows so as not to overbook the flight by more than a few). As far as future business with ODU or the NCAA, I'd just about guarantee it. Our charter group has been doing a great job lately with the NCAA, NASCAR, and the military.

JP

gr8slvrflt

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:22 am

Thanks, Groundstop. A couple questions: how many 717s now have XM and when is the next 737 due? I show we currently have 81 + 11.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

northwestair

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:24 am

I would like to here Delta's side of the story before I way in my comment. Cause I seriously doubt that DL was as harsh as you say.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

flyinryan99

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:31 am

Delta may have been able to get them there in the morning, but what if the team only could have court time in the morning? They wouldn't be able to practice then. We don't know. The facts are, Delta couldn't provide the service and didn't seem to want to go the extra mile and AirTran did. Good for them. That's what I like about the company (also what I miss working for them), it's a different way of thinking. Good job Groundstop, you definitely are good at what you do and really like doing it  Smile

Ryan

Venezuela747

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:33 am

Nice job on getting the school on time, too bad I got them loosing to Michigan St. on my pool. Pittsburgh also had like a 12 hour delay or something like that on its way to Boise, ID
ROLL TIDE!!!

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:54 am

The idiots schedule a huge tournament in the middle of the peak travel season. What the hell do they expect?
E pur si muove -Galileo

nosedive

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:36 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 25):
The idiots schedule a huge tournament in the middle of the peak travel season. What the hell do they expect?

Because it's Old Dominion's fault  Yeah sure

SHUPirate1

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:47 am

Quoting KYAir (Reply 13):
A bit off the main point of this thread, but if they don't play until Sat night, why the big rush to get there Thurs night? I understand they need to arrive a day or so early and practice, but I'm sure DL could have gotten them to MSP early Fri.

It is an NCAA rule that teams must arrive at an NCAA Tournament site two days before their first game at that site. The reason for this, other than that Myles Brand has no clue how to run a house, much less an extremely beaurcratic organization, is so that the team will be at the press conferences the next morning.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:16 am

"Because it's Old Dominion's fault"

I don't know whose fault it is, probably the NCAA. Teams get stranded ALL THE TIME during this goat rodeo because airlines are chock full and don't have any spare aircraft available for charters at this time. The schedule is thrown together at the drop of a hat and is so tight that if one thing goes wrong teams can be and are stranded all over the country....and not in places like Atlanta or New York but places like Sweetwater and Pullman. If whoever designed this cluster f*&# waited one month, or even two weeks, planes would be less full and the organization could save hundreds of thousands, if not millions in lower ticket/charter prices.
E pur si muove -Galileo

vatveng

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting GroundStop (Reply 20):
I'm assuming the team arrived from either RIC, PHF, or ORF at ATL and misconnected for their MSP flight.

Since ODU is in the city of Norfolk and just a couple of minutes from the airport, there's a 99.9% chance they used ORF. Extreme outside chance of using PHF (for reasons stated below), and I can guarantee they didn't drive all the way to Richmond.

Now here's the thing: Will ODU switch to using AirTran at PHF? I would have to say it's unlikely because whoever the travel coordinator is at ODU, he or she (like a lot of people on the South Side of Hampton Roads) probably barely knows that PHF even exists. And since the school is just 5 minutes from ORF, they probably just search flights from ORF, period. PHF, being on the other side of the water, has the perception of being 1000 miles away by a lot of people in Norfolk (despite the fact that it's a 20 minute drive).

I work with a good mix of people from both the Southside of the James River and the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, York County) and everyone on the Peninsula knows (and uses) PHF. But those who live on the Southside scrunch their faces when I mention that I fly out of Newport News. "They have an airport?? Oh, you mean that old Patrick Henry Airport. No, can't be that one, they closed that down years ago, didn't they?" No, they just renamed it in 1992.

GroundStop

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:09 am

Gr8SlvrFlt,

Ship 310 arrived two days ago from BFI and was put on revenue flying yesterday. Today, a 737 is running an entire 717 line (ATL-MCO-ATL-MDW-ATL-FLL-ATL) due to charter work on the 717's. 717 ship number 746 arrived last week as well. I'm off today so I can't give you the delivery dates just yet for the upcoming aircraft. There are around 15 planes now with XM activated. Last weekend, I flew six legs (MCO-ATL-IAD-ATL-LGA-PHF-MCO) and on four of the six, I had an XM airplane.

Back to the topic at hand. Earlier someone said ODU may not give a second look at AirTran because we don't fly out of ORF. Well, we don't fly out of Waco, TX either but somehow, Baylor managed to find us. The same can be said for the football season when we did several trips for Arkansas. We don't fly anywhere near FYV or XNA, but that's not what matters. We are building a nice little charter operation and since the reservation I made last night was paid for with an NCAA American Express Card, I'm quite certain they are keeping their eye on our performance.

JP

AirTran SOC

kcrwflyer

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:26 am

THis isnt the first time Airtran has helped an airline or a group of people in need. keep it up guys.

nosedive

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 28):
Teams get stranded ALL THE TIME during this goat rodeo because airlines are chock full and don't have any spare aircraft available for charters at this time. The schedule is thrown together at the drop of a hat and is so tight that if one thing goes wrong teams can be and are stranded all over the country

I'm assuming that you're referring to the spring break season. To me, the NCAA made the tourney to accomidate the spring break traveller. Thus, the NCAA risks loses a shitload of money or risks a bad connection or two...

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:22 am

" To me, the NCAA made the tourney to accomidate the spring break traveller. Thus, the NCAA risks loses a shitload of money or risks a bad connection or two...
"

That's very possible. Nonetheless, it never surprises me when teams are stranded during March madness, or similarly, the end of football season during the xmas season.
E pur si muove -Galileo

airtran737

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:29 am

Not to long ago BA had a broken 777 in ATL and there was no hope for those passengers. We (AirTran) were able to take a spare 717 and crew and put 117 of those BA passengers on it and send it to IAD so that they could connect onto another BA flight.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

wjcandee

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:55 am

Great job, GroundStop. Welcome to my respected users list.

I also appreciated the tone of your post and of your replies.

All the best,

Bill

OPNLguy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:00 am

Groundstop,

I hope that you're enjoying your -700s as much as we are enjoying ours... This aircraft is such a far cry from the -200 as far as capability goes it's not even funny.

I may have asked you this before, but are you running -B22 engines, -B24 engines, or something else?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:14 am

BTW, looking at the Delta and Airtran web sites for yesterday, I was interested to see that Delta's last flight out last night didn't actually leave the gate until AFTER the scheduled departure time for Airtran's flight 858. So if the team misconnected, it was a misconnect to an earlier-departing flight, and the real issue is that Delta refused to priority-accomodate them on Delta's last flight out. They may have policies and reasons for doing so (like the computer has already rebooked misconnects onto that flight, and they didn't want to get into "ranking" customers ahead of others). But the bottom line was that Airtran looked like a hero to an important customer, and that never hurts. Also, credit the manager of charter ops for not just selling the NCAA a very expensive charter without being sure that the pax couldn't be shoehorned into a scheduled flight by lifting the preset sales cap. Good work all around, and a credit to the airline for not jumping at the chance to rip someone off. 10 Biz class seats on Airtran (about $2900) plus 5 coach seats at the max fare (about $1300, for a total of $4200) is a hell of a lot cheaper than even an appropriately-sized biz jet on that run!

All the best,

Bill

[Edited 2005-03-19 00:16:30]

kaputt

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:10 am

YAY Airtran!!! Got my hometown B-Ball team to the big dance.

GO Monarchs!!!!! Beat MSU!

EDIT: oh saw it was the womans teams. anyway still my hometown team. go lady monarchs!

[Edited 2005-03-19 02:12:21]
Carpe the Diem...Seize The Carp

Flyer732

Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting KYAir (Reply 16):
GroundStop: Right. My point wasn't that you couldn't tell men from women

He probably still can't tell...  box  Big grin

Nice work guys!

ChiGB1973

Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:54 pm

There are several (probably more) scenarios that could justify either decision and I am sure they have been discussed and more are coming, this is just my take on it.

I agree that it is a good job by FL and not sure of DL's flight schedule, but I wonder if it was the last flight and DL said, "No, we can't get you there tonight," some of you seem to think that Delta should: find a spare plane, FA/FD crew and all the additional ground work/personnel a flight entails, to get 15 ball players to their destination.

For the rest, join the people that did not have a travel agent, charter person, a big name or big bucks to arrange anything but a cot in the airport or maybe a hotel.

M

wjcandee

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:09 pm

ChiGB: I understand your point for sure. But I think that a good job is a good job is a good job, and Groundstop gets credit for that. As I pointed out above, Delta's last flight appears to be the one implicated. We don't know the circumstances. Could be that it was full according to the computer cap but that one might have been able to raise that cap, as it builds in some assumptions about no-shows. We've all seen "full" flights go out with a pile of Delta non-revs clogged into First. Did Delta try to do what Groundstop did (bust the cap after evaluating the actual probable loads)? Or did they just abide the cap? Also, it's possible even that the scheduled departure time had passed and non-revs and other standbys boarded (the flight ultimately took over 1.5 hours late). Did Delta look into that? Did they evaluate the possibility of boarding the pax onto a flight that was "closed" but still at the gate? If they did all that and still couldn't help the kids, then they tried their best and aren't to be criticized. (Well, maybe not their best...could they have swapped the MD80 for a lightly-booked 737-800 on another RON flight without doing harm to the next day's schedule? That would certainly have been going above and beyond and might well not have been "worth it" to them.) All these are possibilities without rolling out another plane and crew, which I think we all agree wouldn't be reasonable to do.

But you know what they say: "Where there's a will there's a way". Airtran should get some good PR from this, and Delta didn't. After all, Good Goes Around, and Airtran will get it this time.

--Bill

[Edited 2005-03-19 05:09:53]

FrequentFlyKid

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:19 pm

I'm the baseball manager at Old Dominion and I worked closely with the athletic department. My understanding is that AirTran carried the roster and coaches to MSP on Thursday night and DL carried the rest of the travel party on Friday morning. There are about 70 people that travel with NCAA basketball teams during the tournament, including trainers, doctors, athletic administration, cheerleaders, band members, etc. Kudos to AirTran, although that being said they were doing what any business would do when the opportunity for unexpected revenue arises.

Just to answer a few questions I saw asked above...

The basketball teams (both men and women) fly to conference opponents Hofstra (Hempstead, NY) and Drexel (Philadelphia) each year. They use the nonstop PHF-LGA service on AirTran to play Drexel and the nonstop ORF-PHL service on US Airways. This year the Women also used Delta to fly to ATL when they played Georgia Tech back in December. The men used Delta to fly to DFW/CRP for a tournament and ORD to play Depaul back in Decemeber. There has been talk around athletic administration (and it has nothing to do with this latest incident) to use AirTran as the primary carrier for ODU athletics. The drive from PHF from campus is 25 minutes with clear traffic. Not a big deal. With the addition of Northeastern University (Boston, MA and Georgia State University (Atlanta, GA) to the CAA next year I would expect to see AirTran as the primary carrier for us; since both of those cities are served nonstop by AirTran from PHF.

[Edited 2005-03-19 05:23:28]

aerlingusa330

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:23 pm

I can guarantee you that the ODU teams don't use AirTran out of Richmond(RIC)...AirTran doesn't even fly into RIC anymore (unfortunately!) Sad.

Steve

P.S...Go Spartans!  yes 
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

OttoPylit

Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting Northwestair (Reply 22):
I would like to here Delta's side of the story before I way in my comment. Cause I seriously doubt that DL was as harsh as you say.

Delta's side of the story is something like this. In short, this basketball team flew into ATL for a connecting flight. Due to the terrible weather that ATL has suffered for the past 3 days, and the ensuing ATC delays(thanks to ATL ATC and their sorry attempts at vectoring), the team missed their original connection flight. They turned to Delta to get rebooked. However, Delta's flights were already sold out by other stranded passengers until the next evening(and they were already rebooked for the later flight, per Delta's first available flight policy). So the team turned to see if there was anything leaving sooner. They found some tickets to buy on Airtran and bought them. Its the same thing that happens anywhere with any passenger on any airline and any flight. Its the simple, "What will get me there quickest?" story. I mean, its not like the team had chartered their own airplane like NBA teams do, thats a different story. They bought tickets, and therefore were to have the same priority as any other paying passenger. Just because they are a college basketball team does not bump them up to "super duper special" status. Delta has many groups fly on them every day. Many of those groups bought tickets, just like thousands of other customers do, every day. Delta does their best to accomodate these customers in the smoothest way possible, but they are still paying passengers and no more important than any of the other millions of paying passengers that we fly every year. But of course they are going to be pissed at Delta, you always blame the airline you fly, even when its ATC that is causing the mess.

To sum up, what makes this story so wonderful? The team buys tickets and due to ATC misses their flight. Delta is sold out, Airtran has seats, the team buys the available seats on Airtran and gets to their destination as quick as possible. There is nothing that really sticks out from this story that is very extraordinary. Its not like Airtran chartered a whole plane for these folks, then that would be extraordinary. Congrats to Airtran for having 15 open seats to sell to these passengers.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

Flyer732

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:06 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 44):
Congrats to Airtran for having 15 open seats to sell to these passengers.

Always have to find a way to put down AirTran? Turn the story around and you'd say "way to go Delta, AirTran sucks"

OttoPylit

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:20 pm

Where in the story did I put down Airtran? In fact, by actually saying:

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 44):
Congrats to Airtran for having 15 open seats to sell to these passengers.

is congratulating Airtran for....having 15 open seats to sell. Thats good money to be made.

What I am saying is that what makes this story so wonderful or extraordinary? Hell, I see people sent over from airlines every day because the other airline can't accomodate them. FL, NW, AA, LH, KL, the list goes on and on. The story is simple and unremarkable. Delta sold out, Airtran has seats, customer buys tickets on whoever has seats. What makes that any different than business anywhere else on Earth?

Geesh, doesn't the company has some kind of program so you guys can feel good about anything?  biggrin 
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

travatl

Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:37 pm

READ it again Ottopylit....AirTran didn't have the seats either.....

Travis

dynkrisolo

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:48 am

It looks like people aren't getting the story right. According to the following report:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=83775&ran=109837

the team was split into five parties with the last party arrived in MSP at 1:30am Friday morning. No charter flight was involved.

LV

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:48 am

While you are right Ottopylit that they are just another group of passengers, this group of passengers can command media attention in a market that DL and FL compete in. This is just good PR for FL and bad PR for DL in the Norfolk area. It gets a 15 second blurb on the evening news and a short article in the paper and makes a few people in Eastern Virginia think twice the next time they fly, that's where the real damage was done.