Indio66
Topic Author

US Code Share To Cuba?

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:34 am

I seem to recall reading a US Airways inflight magazine a couple of months ago, and the route map indicated code share flights to Cuba.

Is this really the case? Who flies the routes? Thanks.

GuyBetsy1

RE: US Code Share To Cuba?

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:49 am

No US airline can codeshare to Cuba. Because code-share also means that the airline can physically fly there themselves.

So no go. Period.

Fly from Canada.

SHUPirate1

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:53 am

Funny you mention that, because I remember when they first changed their name to US Airways, you used to be able to either accrue or redeem (I can't remember which one) Dividend Miles to Havana through one of their mileage agreements (they had with several, I remember Latin Pass specifically)
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

ATLhomeCMH

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:29 am

No US airline can codeshare to Cuba.

Correct. Its all part of economic restrictions on the nation. If I remember correctly, doing business with a Cuban company even without actually going there is a crime.
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

gigneil

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:30 am

US airlines fly to Cuba all the time.

N

Indio66
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:12 am

Can someone take a look at the current US Airways inflight magazine and see if there are some little dots on Cuba showing service?

I understand that there are special (albeit regular) flights from the US to Cuba, but the code share dots were new to me.

aeroweanie

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:13 am

Explain this: when I was in Nassau in the Bahamas in November 2000, Continental Express listed scheduled flights to Havana on their boards.

A330323X

Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:29 am

I seem to recall reading a US Airways inflight magazine a couple of months ago, and the route map indicated code share flights to Cuba.

Can someone take a look at the current US Airways inflight magazine and see if there are some little dots on Cuba showing service?

I don't have an Attaché magazine in front of me right now, but I'm pretty certain that the dots for Cuba (and lots of other places) indicate Star Alliance service, not codeshare service. Star Alliance members Air Canada and Lufthansa/Condor offer service to Cuba. Star Alliance member United also offers scheduled charter service to Cuba.

I don't believe US Airways awards Dividend Miles for flights to Cuba. The US Airways Star Alliance award chart does not list Cuba as a valid destination.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

captaink

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:12 am

I am looking at the Nov 2004 issue of Attache, the lines seem to crisscross all over cuba, none stopping there though  Smile Maybe this changed with recent issues of Attache. I doubt though.
There is something special about planes....

exFATboy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:18 am

Here's the regulations describing how Americans can travel to Cuba - it's tightly restricted. It's technically not illegal for an American to travel to Cuba, but it's illegal for an American to spend money in Cuba without a "license." That's why the regulations are issued by Treasury rather than State - the Office of Foreign Asset Control comes under Treasury. As a practical matter, an American can't even travel to Cuba even if they took food and water with them and camped out on the beach - the moment the (Canadian, Mexican, whatever) airline paid the Cuban government taxes related to the American's ticket (even if bought outside the US), the law's been violated.

I don't think it would even be legal for a US airline to offer non-American members of their FF program opportunities to redeem miles to Cuba - that'd be facilitating transactions "in which Cuba has an interest", since presumably the non-American traveler would spend money in Cuba.

(Yes, it's ridiculous that an American can travel to, say, China, whose government is just as repressive as Cuba's, but not to Cuba. Don't get me wrong, it'll be a great day for the world when Fidel Castro assumes room temperature, but I just don't see how Cuba's government is any worse than that of many other countries Americans can travel to at will.)