747Combi
Topic Author

American Airlines 757 Engine Trouble In PHL

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:26 pm

Hello I was loading my flight on Sunday it was around twelve thirty and I noticed an American 757 taking off as he was climbing I heard this funny noise and saw two orange fireballs shoot out the back of his #1 engine. I was wondering what could have caused it or is it something that happens reguarly?  cool 

NW747-400

RE: American Airlines 757 Engine Trouble In PHL

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:53 pm

What you saw was definately a compressor stall, maybe caused by bird ingestion or possibly a fan blade failed and was released against the engine case. Was it raining?...Intense precipitation can also block airflow through the inlet and cause a compressor stall.

PhilSquares

Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:06 pm

Most likely a engine surge. Bird ingestion or blade failure and most likely the aircraft would have been back on the ground in a matter of minutes.

Engine surges aren't all that uncommon particularly if the engine was operated at high power settings.
Fly fast, live slow

747Combi
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:25 am

yes it was raining also the airport ops were also driving up and down the runway I guess looking for something that may have fallen from the engine

ua777222

Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:09 am

After a compressor stall isn't that considered an engine failure? If not what does the a/c do on climb out. I mean with one engine gone that climb is going to be hellish. I'm surprised that the a/c didn't come back...

Thanks for the story,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

filejw

Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:20 am

You may or may not know you had a compressor stall.If you happen to be looking at the EPR gauge you will see it but if its just a transient thing you may not.I'v also taken a bird thru an engine and the only way we knew was on the walk- around before the next leg.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos