Luniew
Topic Author

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:27 am

I flew on Ted/United from LAS-ORD-BOS I got upgraded to Economy plus on both flights. I enjoyed the Ch 9 but on ORD-BOS flight there was no Ch 9 just some music. Does this happen a lot? I know its up to the pilot to turn it on. I was disappointed being stock with no window view and no Ch 9 it was a long flight.

Tom

FriendlySkies

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:29 am

It's up to the pilot. If it's not on, ask the flight attendant if he/she can request it be turned on, or look out the window.

United Airline

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:31 am

Do they offer ch9 on long haul flights such as HKG-SFO, HKG-ORD, LAX-SYD etc? Been on these long haul flights many times but ch9 was never available on these flights........

quickmover

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:57 am

I can't understand why a pilot would not allow it. I enjoy it very much.

adam

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:59 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 2):
Do they offer ch9 on long haul flights such as HKG-SFO, HKG-ORD, LAX-SYD etc? Been on these long haul flights many times but ch9 was never available on these flights........

They had on channel 9 IAD-MUC and FRA-IAD January of this year. It was a first for me, and I loooooooooooooved it.
Texas: You'll come for the Alamo, You'll stay because you were wrongfully executed. - Conan O'Brian State Quarters

SHUPirate1

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:02 am

I seriously would like to know who came up with the idea for Channel 9. Whoever did deserves a BIIIIIIIIIIG raise! In all seriousness, if you want to see a devastated passenger, put me on a United flight without Channel 9! (just kidding, of course, but you catch my drift)
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

hawaijahaz

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:18 am

Ch 9 is awesome.

I flew SFO - NRT - SIN in Dec. last year and had the pleasure of listening to the Japanese, Vietnamese and Singapore ATC folks. And on the way back, I even heard a pilot declaring an emergency and requesting fuel dump.

Goldenshield

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:25 am

Channel 9 is provided through the cockpit observer's station console. If there is an observer, then channel 9 is definately going to be on.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

BritPilot777

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:28 am

Hey Guys,

Channel 9 is provided on Ever United / TED Flight, IF the pilot has it turned on. It is totally up to the flight crews discretion if it is or not. 90% of United flights i've been on, have had it on from the second I started listening. The other 10%, I just asked the cabin crew if they could get the captain to turn it on, and they didnt have a problem doing this.

Moheet
Forever Flight

ordflyer

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:30 am

Yes, it is possible to have channel 9 on long haul fights, however I think sometimes they may turn it off over the ocean when there isn't much happening and forget to turn it on again before landing.
Sounds like you may have had a string of bad luck on your flights  Sad

Sabena332

Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:32 am

Do they offer ch9 on long haul flights such as HKG-SFO, HKG-ORD, LAX-SYD etc?

I flew FRA-IAD-FRA and on both flights was channel 9 available, funnily enough it was not available on an intra-US flight from BOS to IAD.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

quickmover

RE: Ch9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:33 am

I flew DEN-LAX a couple of years ago without ch 9. I asked the f/a to ask the pilot to turn it on. She did and came back to tell me that the pilot would not turn it on this morning. I asked why and she was as baffled as I was.

northwestEWR

RE: Channel 9 On United

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:43 am

Why cant the other airlines have this too ?
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

stlgph

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:51 am

It definitely wasn't on during the last two ORD-LGA and return runs I've been on.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Mir

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:01 am

I've had about a 50/50 chance of having it on when I fly on UA. I try to fly Airbus planes on UA so that I don't have the risk of it being replaced by jazz, but I was lucky enough to have in on both my flights from MSP-ORD (319) and ORD-LGA (733) recently. I just wish that the FAs didn't spend so long making their PA announcements, because I can't hear it while they're talking.  Smile

Channel 9 is a big part of why UA is my favorite US carrier. I don't know why other carriers don't have it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:20 am

UA is also one of the few to have audio entertainment on ALL of their aircraft.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

roseflyer

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:52 am

I agree that it is agreat and I really like the fact that UA has free audio on all mainline flights and with the exception of the 737s has video on every flight too. The IFE makes me really enjoy UA over NW or AA.

I have listened to it on some Asian flights and it is always interesting to hear the Asian controlers speak English and yet have everyone understand which is is made even more impressive because with a few exceptions everyone is using thier second language. I really like Tokyo control for some reason. Narita is a busy place.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

sfo212

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:38 am

Channel 9 is terrific. I travel several times a year between SFO and HNL and it is always great to hear. Unfortunately most times, the pilots turn off Channel 9 when they get over the ocean and turning it back on when they get back in radio contact with land stations. Sometimes they do forget to turn it back on.

I like listening to the communications between all of the aircraft on their tracks headed to/from Hawaii. Most of them are communicating on HF frequencies talking about their reporting points and flight conditions at certain alititudes.

Fun way to pass the time, especially since most of the movies on board stink.

AirWillie6475

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:53 am

Last time I flew united was Lax to Ord and back. I must say that the airbus flights on United are the best. Not too many people and the plane had a great seat pitch. On the way back I was on a 100% full flight in a 767 and I had to sit on non-window seat. I was very mad and I thought that it was going to be a long flight. Then the PA said that Ch9 was available and I was very happy. Airlines, please have a channel 9 because I would fly your airline even if it has no service or entertainment. The best part was the approach to Lax, surprisingly 2 pilots were not sure witch runways they were supposed to land on. Some were, I'd say, 7 miles out and were checking if they were on the right runway! I'm amased at what ATC does over the Los Angeles area.

SE210Caravelle

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:53 am

On my UA flights I have noticed about 60% of the time the flight crew turns on Channel 9. I love listening to it, but I don't really bum out when the crew has not turned it on or has turned it off.

One of the reasons that Channel 9 is sometimes turned off, is if the pilots get word that having it on can be a risk to the flight (e.g. terrorists). I'm not 100% sure that this is correct, as it does seem silly, but I have heard it very often.

Thanks,

S E 2 1 0 C a r a v e l l e

AeroVodochody

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:10 am

Quoting SE210Caravelle (Reply 19):
One of the reasons that Channel 9 is sometimes turned off, is if the pilots get word that having it on can be a risk to the flight (e.g. terrorists). I'm not 100% sure that this is correct, as it does seem silly, but I have heard it very often.

It might be because the pax that are listening might misunderstand something and think something is terribly wrong and cause everyone on the airplane to go crazy.
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

Spoke2Spoke

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:29 am

Does anyone know how "popular" Channel 9 is with UAL customers? For instance, how many PAX opt to listen, and how many pax choose UA over the competition in order to listen.

What a cost-effective way to fill an audio channel with content. Airlines pay for the audio content they provide in-flight. If you're providing good ol' ATC, that's gotta be cheap, right?
...carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks. - Wilbur Wright

NWOrientDC10

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:57 am

This may sound lame but maybe the pic (captain) may have a f/o who's just out of training and is a bit nervous on his first flight. Again, this sounds lame to me, but I wouldn't want to work my first day on the job in front of an audience.

Take Care,

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:12 am

How so? You are looking at guys who are hired with at least 3,000 hours or more. Besides, you can't hear what is said in the cockpit.

Brick

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 am

I flew DEN-ORD today on a 757 and not only was channel 9 turned on, but for some reason I could also hear the communications among the flight attendents as well. That was a first for me... The most exciting communication between the flight attendents was someone in the back calling the purser up front to note for maintenance that the tray table on 22F needs to be replaced.

Mark
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

CTHEWORLD

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:41 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 5):
I seriously would like to know who came up with the idea for Channel 9. Whoever did deserves a BIIIIIIIIIIG raise! In all seriousness, if you want to see a devastated passenger, put me on a United flight without Channel 9! (just kidding, of course, but you catch my drift)

Well, it costs money to maintain that equipment and to give the headphones out for free so when the world is left with Southwest and Ryanair, it will be sad...but long live the LCC, saviors of the world!!!

GentFromAlaska

Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:00 pm

I traveled from O'Hare to Seattle last year. It was neat listing to cockpit asking for specific routing. I recall allot of request for the Fort Dodge route. It seemed all of the airlines wanted it.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

GoAllegheny

Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:19 pm

I've flown United on 8 flights this year so far, and on three of the last four flights the pilot refused to turn on Channel 9 despite my request. I am starting to think United is conspiring against me! Interestingly, in two of the three cases the pilot was female. In one case I tried to ask the pilot why, but she left the plane quickly before I could get to her. I also asked a first officer in one of the flights, and he didn't know why a pilot would refuse.

On the other hand, on one of the recent flights the pilot enthusiastically promised me that it would be on - he seemed excited about it, although he was probably just humoring me. He probably doesn't have many 42 year old men asking him for it. I don't know why - I live in Chicago, Channel 9 is quite busy on departures and arrivals into ORD. Makes for interesting listening.

RDUDDJI

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:01 pm

I flew ORD-NRT back in Feb of 2004. We were about halfway into the trip when one of my traveling companions looked out the window and noticed another UA 744 about two miles off to our right and 2000ft below us. They flew next to us one the same track for a few hours. I tuned to Ch. 9 and the pilots started chatting with each other. It went something like this:

(I missed the beginning)

Our plane flight UA883:
"Hey UA heavy off to my left, where are you guys out of?"

That flight (I think it was UA891)
"We're out of LAX UA891"

UA883:
"What altitude are you guys at?"

UA891:
"FL 340"

(We were at FL360 according to the map thingy)

UA883:
"How's the ride down there?"

UA891:
"Smooth"

At this point I knew I couldn't turn off Ch. 9! A few hours later I awoke when they started chatting again.

UA891 (the LAX flight):
"Hey UA 883, it looks like the winds have changed. We are starting to get some light chop here which is probably from your wake turbulance. We're gonna slow down some. You guys take it easy."

UA883:
"Allright, take it we'll see you all in NRT."

I thought that was so cool. And of course listening to Japanese ATC is unintentionally funny anyway. I noticed many of the English pilots had trouble understanding some of their commands...lots of repeating going on.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Luniew
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 pm

I loved it when we were on ORD approach around 4:30AM and there was few AA and United flights in front of us for landing. The controllers were asking every flight if they had any icing. Why would they ask for that? I loved the 36.0" pitch on Ted very comfortable. It was my first flight on United, got upgraded to Economy plus with no miles.
The only thing that I didn't like was that I got stock in seat 6A that does not have a window, if you like a window seat avoid this one.
I guess next time I will ask the F/A about the ch9 if its not turned on.

Tom

uswyjer

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:07 pm

I recently flew my first UA mainline flight, UA742 IAD-BDL on a 733, which according to the inflight mag was supposed to have the Hear Music Channel on 9, but someone in the row in front of me had headphones on from pushback and the volume up a good amount, and I heard the ATC, I was more than happy to be able to tune in. It was during the evening rush at IAD and it was entertaining to hear the lead ATC yelling "next customer!!!" anyone hear this guy before? The FAs seemed to understand the liking of Ch. 9, they didn't bother those with headphones on during takeoff and landing, we were like a little cult on the flight Smile

aviationwiz

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:35 pm

Is channel 9 availible on United Express flights (MSP-IAD and return)? If it isn't, I would seriously have to reconsider my decision to take UA.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

RDUDDJI

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:00 pm

UAX does not have Ch. 9
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Bels13

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:12 pm

Here's one reason a pilot might be hesitant on turning Channel 9 on. If the weather a long the route is going to be very bumpy, they might not want some of the scared to fly passengers listening to reports coming from other aircraft about the ride ahead. Sure, they will experience the turbulence anyway, but at least they won't dwell about what it will be like and freak themselves out before it happens. Also, in the event of any emergency situation, I have been told that it is a company requirement that Channel 9 be turned off. Not just an emergency for that UA aircraft but for any aircraft on any frequency because the chatter between ATC and that unfortunate aircraft should not be heard by passengers. Also, it sometimes gets turned off when crossing the Atlantic or Pacific due to the lack of ATC communication via voices. Hopefully, that helps all of you who feel cheated by UA. Oh, by the way, no other airline has that option. Even Southwest who everybody thinks is just the greatest company on earth because things are cheap. I was always taught, if something is cheap, then expect only cheap things in return.

daron4000

Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:13 am

I was just on a UA 757 from ORD-DEN (Trip Report will follow soon) and it was on the whole way, from gate to gate, just like on every other flight I've ever flown on UA, which is a lot, except for one. I'm surprised that you guys have had so many times where it's not turned on, but maybe I'm lucky.

Quoting Bels13 (Reply 33):

Quoting Bels13 (Reply 33):
Here's one reason a pilot might be hesitant on turning Channel 9 on. If the weather a long the route is going to be very bumpy, they might not want some of the scared to fly passengers listening to reports coming from other aircraft about the ride ahead. Sure, they will experience the turbulence anyway, but at least they won't dwell about what it will be like and freak themselves out before it happens.

On my flihgt, we had heavy turbulence on approach to DEN, and they still keptit on.

doug_or

Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:24 am

RE: weather, I would think it would be the opposite. Instead of passengers thinking were were experienceing turbulence because the flight crew was no good, they'll hear that the whole flight they're doing nothing but trying to find smooth air.

As far as getting it turned on, I've had 100% success when asking the flight crew before the flight.
When in doubt, one B pump off

ANITIX87

Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:53 am

Hi.
Anybody know if any other airlines have the equivalent of United's Channel 9? I normally fly European carriers because I have mileage programs with them, and I would love to be able to hear ATC when there's nothing to do on a 9 hour trans-Atlantic flight. Thanks.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

NH744

Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 28):
And of course listening to Japanese ATC is unintentionally funny anyway. I noticed many of the English pilots had trouble understanding some of their commands...lots of repeating going on.

I feel I 'm getting closer to my home when I start hearing Japanese ATC on Channel 9!
// Journey is the reward.

AeroVodochody

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:24 am

I heard somewhere that Frontier has an equivalent to Ch.9, anyone know if it's true?
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

N1120A

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:49 am

Yes

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 11):
She did and came back to tell me that the pilot would not turn it on this morning. I asked why and she was as baffled as I was.

Try asking the pilot instead, they are often receptive if you just ask

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
I try to fly Airbus planes on UA so that I don't have the risk of it being replaced by jazz, but I was lucky enough to have in on both my flights from MSP-ORD (319) and ORD-LGA (733) recently.

It does not matter what UA plane you fly, if CH. 9 is not on, you get jazz
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss