clrd4t8koff

Question About F9 Pricing

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:00 am

I have always wanted to try F9, but every time I check prices for flights out west, f9 is ALWAYS more expensive than the other non-LCC. Why is that?

For example, I just went to Orbitz and priced out a trip TPA-SEA May 11-15 and F9 was almost $100 more expensive than the cheapest, which was AA? How do they call themselves a LCC with pricing like that?

ssides

RE: Question About F9 Pricing

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:10 am

(1) LCC stands for low-cost carrier, not low-fare carrier. Their cost per seat-mile is much lower than the major legacy network carriers; that's why they're an LCC.

(2) Many LCCs are often beat on price when it comes to cheap, three-week advance-purchase fares. For a better comparison, look at Frontier's unrestricted fare and compare it to AA's unrestricted fare.

As we all know, business travelers are what make or break the aviation industry, not leisure travelers. Business travelers love the unrestricted fares, which is why so many have flocked to the LCCs. On WN, you can get any unrestricted round-trip for $600. You can't do that on a major. In this area, LCCs will win 90% of the time.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

goingboeing

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 am

Because you were looking 2 months in advance. Try looking at Kansas City to Denver, one way, tomorrow. That fare is $244. Now, check out AA for a one way fare from Kansas City to Dallas tomorrow. It's $445. Dallas is 460 miles from Kansas City. Denver is 606 miles from KC. So its's $200 cheaper to fly 150 miles further. The goal of an LCC is not to provide the lowest fare in the market - the goal of a LCC, as well as a legacy carrier, is to make a profit. If AA wants to grab the "market share" crown and do so at a loss...more power to them. If Frontier wants to come in second place in market share, but make a profit, then that's good business. FWIW, the reason that AA had that low of a fare on that route is due to the presence of Southwest and Frontier on that route. If they weren't there, you wouldn't find that to be a very "consumer friendly" route

mariner

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 am

Quoting Clrd4t8koff (Thread starter):
How do they call themselves a LCC with pricing like that?

They don't call themselves LCC. Other people do that.

DEN/SEA is a very popular route for Frontier.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

coronado

Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:35 pm

I have had my own business for 15 years. I cannot tell you how many flights I felt forced to take Frontier or ATA or America West or Sun Countryu to the west coast even with stop overs and/or change of a/c, compared to NWA fares.

When NWA forced me to spend the weekend in San Diego to get a reasonable air fare I had absolutely no compunction of switching to the LCC's.

There are a heck of a lot self employed or small business people that while we like the World Perks miles realize we are paying for the world perks miles. I am the employee and the employer at the same time!!

For an extra $50-100 I will fly NWA. Any more than that I take the alternates.

And I have to say I don't see any difference in service levels between Frontier, ATA, Sun Country or NWA, other than I usually get a hot sandwich on Sun Country unlike all the others, and I get direct TV on Frontier unlike all the others.

The new Delta inspired pricing module looks promising. I expect to use NWA to the West Coast much more often in the coming year. As long as NWA does not force me to spend a weekend (Sat night stay) in LA due to ridiculous fare policicies I expect to use them much more often.

J
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

gigneil

Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:48 pm

I just booked a ticket to DEN from DCA on Frontier for $184 roundtrip plus tax.

Can't beat that.

N

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos