BigGiraffe
Topic Author

Runway Markings

Wed Apr 05, 2000 6:49 pm

Runways have all sorts of neat markings on them in the form of bars. There can be three parallel bars on each side, one thin or one thick, etc. They mark the threshold, touchdown zone, and what else? How are these markings used by the pilots? Does touchdown zone show where the wheels are supposed to contact, or is it the earliest or latest they are supposed to contact?

Thanks.

Buff

RE: Runway Markings

Thu Apr 06, 2000 2:35 am

Markings give much information. The threshold markings can show the first couple of hundred feet, followed by individual centre-line markings two hundred feet apart, and each, and each (I think) 100 feet long. Fixed distance markings can show 1000 foot increments, interim distance markings can display 500 foot distances. Sideline markings can show first or last 3000 feet. Displaced threshold markings can use similar 200 foot spaced arrows with a threshold line/bar.

Markings for an instrument runway may differ slightly from a non-instrument runway.

Then there are taxiway markings.

Then there is Toronto International...

In Canada, details can be found in Transport Canada Publication "Aerodrome Standards and Recommended Practices (TP 312E)".

In the USA, see AIM Section 3, "Airport Marking Aids & Signs".

Bruce

RE: Runway Markings

Thu Apr 06, 2000 5:52 am

I noticed that on runways there's signs posted on the side like highways that have numbers like "1" "2"...etc.

Does this mean "thousand of feet" ?? In which there would be eleven signs on an 11,000 ft runway? Kind of like mile markers on a highway ?
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Tom in NO

RE: Runway Markings Defined

Thu Apr 06, 2000 7:35 am

All airport signage and lighting requirements are set down by the FAA in what are called Advisory Circular's, or AC's for short.

On a typical air carrier runway, and I apologize for not having the AC on me, the beginning of the runway has the threshold markings on it (this is 2 sets of either 4 or 6 stripes-MSY has 6-on each side of the runway). I believe the stripes are 200' long. Each subsequent set of stripes down the runway is located 500' from the previous set (one set every 500'). Touchdown markings are located 1,000' down the runway. Depending on the length and instrumentation of the runway, these type of stripes can be found 3,000' down each end of the runway.

Of course, aside from the touchdown markings themselves, the stripes act as a warning to pilots coming from the other direction as to how much runway is left.

Distance to go markers (usually large white numerals on a black background) are located every 1,000' down the runway.

As for lighting, runway edge lighting is white, then turns red the last 1,000' of runway. Centerline lights are also white, but begin alternating red/white 3,000' from the end of the runway, and go all red 1,000' from the end.

I'll double check all this tomorrow at work.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos